Aromantic, Demiromantic and Queerplatonic on HuffPost

ithaca

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/08/aromantic-demiromantic-queerplatonic_n_5948256.html?utm_hp_ref=gay-voices

This Is What It Means To Be Aromantic, Demiromantic And Queerplatonic

The Huffington Post | By Kira Brekke

Posted: 10/08/2014 10:18 am EDT Updated: 10/08/2014 12:59 pm EDT

It started as LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender) and later grew into LGBTQIA (adding in queer, intersex and asexual). But it may become even more inclusive as advocates push for the addition of three new labels: aromantic, demiromantic and queerplatonic.

But what exactly do those terms mean? HuffPost Live's Nancy Redd found out on Monday when she spoke with several panelists who use them to describe their own sexuality.

One of them was Victoria Allen, a queerplatonic woman, who shed some light on the nature of her unconventional relationship.

"I have a queerplatonic partner, which is more intense than a normal best friend relationship, and it's almost like a romantic relationship but without any of the romantic attraction or any of the things that are usually considered romantic," Allen said. "It's just quite intense platonic feelings involved."

Stormy O'Brink, an LGBTQIA activist who identifies as asexual, said romance is not a factor "in any way, shape or form" for her and her partner, who identifies as lithromatic, which denotes a person who feels attraction toward another but does not desire reciprocation.

"I think the most romantic we got was last night, watching 'Thelma And Louise' for the first time," O'Brink said. "That's how we like it. That's just how this relationship works."

Watch the video above to learn more about these subsets of the queer community.

(If anyone is able to download the video, please let me know via PM, thanks)

• Like 3

It seems like a very long acronym already. I wonder if there's a simpler way to be inclusive of all minorities in a hetero-(sexually)-normative society.

verily-forsooth-egads

It seems like a very long acronym already. I wonder if there's a simpler way to be inclusive of all minorities in a hetero-(sexually)-normative society.

I heard of one called MOGII, which stands for "Marginalised Orientations, Gender Identities, and Intersex." I kind of like it.

• Like 1

I heard of one called MOGII, which stands for "Marginalised Orientations, Gender Identities, and Intersex." I kind of like it.

This is a good idea, but only if the force and recognition that drives LGBQ can be transfered over. It really isn't fair to expect unaffected people to keep needing to learn more and more, no matter how nice it would be if they did. When I read about the addition of three more terms, I actually groaned. Not because I don't think that they shouldn't be included, but because even I've had difficulty learning all of this.

There is also GSD, GSM, and GSRM. All of them has yet to catch on.