Let's write a 'Cracked' article!

Mycroft is Yourcroft

Mycroft is Yourcroft

Yes, and apparently Sheldon isn't canon ace (nor is Moffat Sherlock) so we could mention that in there too

Hey, you know, I'm reminded of another post I read about the phenomenon of shipping in comic fandom--I mentioned that it would be neat to do an anti-shipping of characters, stripping them of romantic affiliations, and that might be a neat way to write a Cracked article. Like the suggestion (Mycroft?) of Characters We Wish Were Asexual, you could look at characters in the media for features that make them seem like they may be asexual and describe and explain those in the article; that way you can have a humourous and informative article that simultaneously displays popular characters as asexuals and gets information out about asexuality.

Mycroft is Yourcroft

UPDATE: Everyone, I got a response from 'Cracked' and it's good news: they're interested! :D

What I need to do now is just reformat the article so that it falls under 1500 words (easy pitch style). Basically I'll just make a summary of each section and use that. Here's the response:

Hi and welcome to the Workshop! If you haven't already, you'll want to give this folder a read because it shows what we're looking for in the formatting and content of our pitches.

First things first, you need a minimum of six entries, each with a one paragraph summary, a link to your source, and a quote from the source backing up what you're saying in the summary. You'll also need a 300-500 word sample write-up of one of your entries as it would appear in an article. It looks like you've basically gotten the whole article written up already, which, in the future, we ask that you not do because pitches tend to change fairly significantly from conception to publishing, so it will save yourself a lot of effort. On top of that, we have a 2,000 word limit on pitches, and you're over 2700 at this point so you'll need to trim it down (the summaries will take care of most of that).

As for your premise, I like it, I think asexuality is a topic that not many people know very much about it, we just need to make sure that these are really surprising to the average person (I know your first entry is a joke, but we really need an actual belief that people have about asexual individuals). You may want to consider pitching this in the personal experience thread. We've done articles on problems that gay individuals still face, so I think this could be a good companion piece to that. If that's the direction you want to go, let us know and then post a short summary of what you'd want to talk about for your article. If you want to continue on your own, post the changes you need to make here and then we can take another look.

They also want another entry (so we'll use Cereal Tendencies idea for the 6th section) and source quotes, links etc... I'll fix all that up in the following days though.

I think we can tentatively say that this is going well so far :)

Oh this is so cool! Little do they know the first point isn't really that much of a joke, but oh well, they are still very cool. Looking VERY forward to seeing the done version up on their site! ^_^

I hope you can really make a Cracked article. Whenever I came up with something, not enough deals were suitable or they just would not accept them. When I finally wrote an article pitch they probably could have published, it was completely ignored.

Sir_Lord_Brit

I really hope that this goes through, I love Cracked and would love to see an asexuality article!

Mycroft is Yourcroft

I really hope that this goes through, I love Cracked and would love to see an asexuality article!

Working on the pitch today! *Busy little Mycroft is busy*

animated-bee-image-0017.gif

I really like the article so far! And overall this is a brilliant idea, I love Cracked too and would love to see some ace stuff on there. :)

A tiny thing I want to mention, which may not even matter if these are simply mock-up pictures and/or if you go for Cereal's awesome idea for a pic of Mjölnir for the hammer bit, but anyway: the word sisu on the current hammer is Finnish and means basically determination, willpower or perseverance. I just wanted to make sure you know, in case you'd find that fitting / not fitting.

I think I had another thought to contribute at some point while reading this thread, but can't remember it now... oh well... You seem to be doing fine. :) Keep up the good work! :cake:

radicalonion

Oh man that's amazing! Being a frequent visitor and all... seeing an article about asexuality will make me ecstatic!

Mycroft is Yourcroft

One small update as I finish this thing off, I think I'm going to rename this article: "6 Things You Probably Got Wrong About The 4th Sexual Orientation" since it might make people who've heard of 'sexual orientations' click on it, as oppose to just people who have heard of 'asexuality' and otherwise exceptionally curious people.

I'll see what 'Cracked' says about the pitch! (*sobs*, I've had to cut out so much)

I'm sure it's still good even if you did have to cut out a lot. The new title is a good one because people will be like, the fourth orientation, which one is that? And they will check it for curiosity sake.

Mycroft is Yourcroft

All right guys, I need your help with something.

'Cracked' require sources and quotes, and while I know I've seen them somewhere, I can't find any articles where people accuse asexual people of being 'broken', 'less human' or 'aliens' anywhere. They'd prefer not to have blog posts, so news articles, videos, mentions in books etc. are all okay.

For the other entries, I'll fine with sources (Might even use A.B.'s 'Understanding Asexuality' a lot), but it's just that one I'm having trouble with. Any help appreciated :D

Sir_Lord_Brit
Mycroft is Yourcroft
Per Aspera Ad Astra

I could translate the article into French, if you guys are interested? It'd help raise the awareness a bit more amongst French speaking populations. I'm not sure where I'd post it afterwards, but I could just hand the translation to the AVEN French forum and they would deal with its publication.

I have an undergraduate's degree in translation, and I want to make a living out of translation, but I need to keep training, so it'd be my genuine pleasure!

Mycroft is Yourcroft

*Sighs*

I've had a terrible night, but I've got the pitch finally formatted at least. I'll submit it to Cracked then hit the hay...

I could translate the article into French, if you guys are interested? It'd help raise the awareness a bit more amongst French speaking populations. I'm not sure where I'd post it afterwards, but I could just hand the translation to the AVEN French forum and they would deal with its publication.

I have an undergraduate's degree in translation, and I want to make a living out of translation, but I need to keep training, so it'd be my genuine pleasure!

I don't think Cracked will allow us to publish it on other sites, since it becomes their property the moment they publish it. I'll ask them though, maybe if we link it back to their site and pop a disclaimer saying the content belongs to them... It'd have to be fairly controlled though. I'd be happy to help with translation too, as French is my other mother tongue (unless you really want to do it yourself, I understand wanting the practice).

Good idea :)

Mycroft is Yourcroft

UPDATE: Guys, it's moved on to the next stage. Now it's up to the editors to decide if they want to take it further :D

Here's what the workshop mod said:

I'm not sure how interesting this would be to a wide audience, focusing in solely on asexual people. But's that's just my opinion.

You've done your homework, though, so let's see what an editor thinks.

Note, remember there's more than one mod, and they're all going to have different opinions. The original one liked the idea and thought it could be a good sister article to the one about homosexual myths, let's hope an editor will think that too :)

Mycroft is Yourcroft

Also everyone, 'Cracked' mentioned asexuality in one of their articles today (which I'm ridiculously excited about, but I digress), so that potentially means that our article comes at the right time: they've mentioned it in another article, the editors remember it, so ours might be a useful one to lead onto.

Mycroft is Yourcroft

Okay, so they're not interested any more, since they're already doing a personal experience article about asexuality at the moment... On one hand I'm pleased that there will be something about asexuality for AAW, but I'm also a bit disappointed too :(

Oh well, now we can all put it up on our blogs if we want! ^_^

Well, at least they are already doing something, which shocks me a little bit that they already had something planned.

Awww, I was hoping you'd get it published! All that work for nothing. :c

I'm just hoping that the article they produce is actually beneficial for awareness/understanding and doesn't go the way of so many other articles we've seen. Cracked tends to be crude (hilariously so) but quite informative, so here's hoping.

You know what we all have a variety of interests, we can have being asexual just a small part of the article, but we could all support each other in writing person articles that support the fact that we are more than just asexual. Yes, we are that, but we also have other things to say, and because we are asexual we will have a unique perspective on things.

Just a thought, as a community we could support each other in writing something else.

We are asexual, and this is how we live our lives, that could have people recognize we do exist, and do have lives.

Just a thought.

why not submit it to listverse? they pay $100 US through PayPal,and millions of people read that site so asexuality would get good publicity from it. it's a great article :)

http://listverse.com/submit-a-list/ here's the submission form.you just send the article and they email you back pretty fast if they are interested. The money is usually in my account within 2 nights :) and the money is ALWAYS there before they publish the article.

I'm having issues copying and pasting the submissions guidline link because I'm on my phone :c but honestly, I thunk your article would be great for them! :)

http://listverse.com/write-get-paid/

there ya go :)

Elaine Watson

Guess I'm a little late :unsure:

I wanted to suggest that you could mention some of the other hilarious responses from people when asexuals come out, as if trying to figure out the cause of their asexuality, and why these causes are false- 6) Asexuals are born this way

• Have you been molested/abused as a child?
  • Maybe it's because you've been to an all girls/boys school and haven't been exposed to the opposite sex properly
  • Maybe you're secretly gay
  • You're just repressing your sexuality

and so forth :blush:

Correction:

6) Most asexuals are born this way.

Yes, I am willing to go on crusades because of this one word - not all aces were born this way, some used to be something else, and became like this later. I am one of those, and I always feel very excluded when anyone says this. I especially care in this context, as it is outside publicity, which may create misconceptions against people such as me, and even more because this is such a big site.

Also, I personally think there are much too many images in the article - it is disrupting.

And were I to get a character Asexual, it would be Hazel Grace Lancaster from the book "the Fault in our Stars" - she practically starts an ace!

And were I to get a character Asexual, it would be Hazel Grace Lancaster from the book "the Fault in our Stars" - she practically starts an ace!

Really? I am also a fan of the book, but I never considered Hazel to be asexual. There was nothing in the book that infers that. I think that she's just too repressed about her own love/attraction to others.

Elaine Watson

Really? I am also a fan of the book, but I never considered Hazel to be asexual. There was nothing in the book that infers that. I think that she's just too repressed about her own love/attraction to others.

When she says that she has feelings for Augustus for the first time, she says that "she did not know she liked guys, at least not real ones.", which instantly I pictured her as an ace. Also, she is very unsexual for most of the book.

• 4 weeks later...

When she says that she has feelings for Augustus for the first time, she says that "she did not know she liked guys, at least not real ones.", which instantly I pictured her as an ace. Also, she is very unsexual for most of the book.

On the other hand, she did consider Augustus to be hot. Maybe she just didn't have crushes before that age? There has to be a first time sometime.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.cracked.com/article_21988_6-weird-ways-world-looks-different-when-youre-asexual.html

Cracked just published an article about asexuality, and it looks to have done a pretty good job, especially with getting two very different asexual opinions throughout the article.

http://www.cracked.com/article_21988_6-weird-ways-world-looks-different-when-youre-asexual.html

Cracked just published an article about asexuality, and it looks to have done a pretty good job, especially with getting two very different asexual opinions throughout the article.

FFFFFFfffffff-- Sorry, I just posted a topic about this in World Watch before realizing that

1. This thread still exists (I looked for it in the wrong subforum because I'm dumb)
  2. You already linked to the article in here.

Should I delete my topic or let it stay?

Archived