For 20-somethings getting their feet off the ground

AmazingGrAce
21 minutes ago, Skycaptain said:

@AmazingGrAce, happy recent birthday 🎂 🎂 🎊 🎊 

Thank you!

• Like 1

Temeraire
On 7/8/2019 at 11:49 PM, kstitch said:

Just constantly unprepared. I hope to find my niche and be comfortable with what I work with. 

On top of that, I'm struggling in the relationship world but I don't think I can mentally handle a relationship anyways. Let alone a new one where I have to describe what's going on with my sexuality and career. 

I'm also moving across the country for this new position in a month, leaving my family and friends. 

I feel you! I'll finish my bachelor soon-ish and I've got no idea what to do with it and can't help but feel like I wasted all my time on my studies and I might as well not even do anything with what I initially planned. 

Moving far away is tough. My tip would be try to do some things where you can meet new people in the first weeks, even when you're exhausted. Because being apart from your usual social setting just gets worse when you check on social media and see them having a great time while you feel like you're all alone. So do a yoga course or join a class or something. Look out for events in your area and go there alone even if it seems weird at first. Good luck! 

• Like 1

Asexual_Fujoshi

I'm 20, from canada. My friends have mentioned the possibility that I may be ace to due my confusion with people or my lack of interest regarding them. (Failed fwbs/dating) I laughed and said they might be right but I wasn't too sure at the time, they brought it up again recently (due to a rant of mine) sending me links about it. Which brought this site to my attention. As of now, finally started to be interested in learning more about asexuality. I'm comfortable with being ace, since I've found out the community that makes me feel welcomed. Aside from that,  I have no idea what to do with my life. No major interests really .

Edited by Ace_Fujoshi_Passingby
Left something out.

kstitch
On 7/18/2019 at 12:37 PM, Temeraire said:

I feel you! I'll finish my bachelor soon-ish and I've got no idea what to do with it and can't help but feel like I wasted all my time on my studies and I might as well not even do anything with what I initially planned. 

Moving far away is tough. My tip would be try to do some things where you can meet new people in the first weeks, even when you're exhausted. Because being apart from your usual social setting just gets worse when you check on social media and see them having a great time while you feel like you're all alone. So do a yoga course or join a class or something. Look out for events in your area and go there alone even if it seems weird at first. Good luck! 

Thank you! I will definitely try that. And nice username btw. One of my favorite series in high school. 

WanderingKate

Hi all :) 

Figured I'd stop by and say hello- I'm currently 23 which feels like quite the odd, in between age. I have friends who are engaged and I have friends who are perpetually single and playing the field, and friends who have only been on a handful of dates in their lives. I have friends who are in grad school and friends who are working full time and friends who are in their high school jobs still. I have friends who are living at home with parents and friends who've moved out and are completely on their own and independent. 

Me, I feel like I'm somewhere in the middle. I graduated. I have a full time job using my degree that I enjoy and was able to escape from retail :D but I'm still at home and unsure when I should be moving out. I feel a lot of pressure both to go to grad school and not to go to grad school, and to stay home with my mom to save money versus to move out so I can try to be a real independent adult. I have a great credit score, manage my finances, do well at work, am starting a new QPR/relationship, but I somehow still feel woefully unprepared for life... I don't know what it is. I see people around me who seem extremely confident in their choices and I don't always. I still feel immature around my friends who are living on their own and who have sexual/romantic relationships that they talk about. I worry a lot about the future- I'm happy in my job but there isn't much room for advancement- what's my next step? A different job in the field or switch career paths entirely?- will I regret not trying new things? And if I don't go back for my master's degree now will I ever? 

Anyway...yeah, that's my life at the moment. I'm definitely overthinking and I'm mostly quite happy, happier than I've ever been. But what a confusing time :D

• Like 1

ColeHW34

Well since I'm officially 20 now, I guess I'll be posting here and there in here.

• Like 2

sunflowersundae

Just dropping by and saying hi, I'm in my mid/late twenties.

The thing about having gone through a big chunk of this decade is learning that everyone's path is very different.

Even despite what I know about people's paths and ways in life is that I still kind of feel somewhat behind compared to a few of my peers. I find people younger than me whizzing by a lot faster than I have; namely that they're doing things I really wish I could have done at their age. I tend to be among the older people in my work and education settings.. though I look a lot younger than my age so that tends to take others by surprise a lot haha. I used to give myself so much grief over my age and eh.. lack of relationship experience, I still feel pretty hopeless about it from time to time, but I've made great strides in learning how to accept myself. I'm also tired of doing nothing about it... so I'm going to try and be more proactive.. start attending meetups maybe? Though I still need to try and figure out how to gain the confidence to start lol, my previous attempts haven't bore any fruit.

Despite my hangups about my age and where I feel I should be, maybe I should focus on what I have done so far. I've accomplished a bunch in the past year. I graduated my local college (after like.. what.. 5ish years?) I'm about to start a new job soon (it's my first "real grown-up job" too so I'm really excited).

SilverScales

Everything is foul, Lol. I grow tired of the exhaustion of fending off mindless fools who only think about pointless sexual based relationships and petty romance. 😡

Disgracing my immortal potential. 

😈

questdrivencollie

I have a job, but for the time being I still live with my mom. I have no idea when I'll move out. 

Skycaptain

As a non-twenty something :P staying with your parents until older is becoming more common due to the cost of housing 

maddamebutterfly

I'm 20 something on the verge of 30. Thing's are a little hard for me now, as I work in a female dominated field and everyone is getting married and having babies, while they all look at me as the "one who does not fit". It can get a little stressful, but I refuse to live my life based on other people's standard. All I want it to be successful in the things I am studying, and maybe have a romantic partner to share my space with. I look forward to meeting anyone on here who feels the same. Or maybe doesn't feel the same but likes to chat about movies, comics, games, and the like! Feel free to message me to talk if anyone would like! 

• Like 1

MayonnAce

Figured I'd stop by and just info dump my thoughts as a confused 24 year old lone wolf without a clue. I am really torn on what I really want to do long term in life...

My story is that I entered college 1 year after graduating high school simply to do something instead of living at home as a NEET. It was a really wise decision on one hand because my self confidence was at rock bottom at the time and I just had to flee the nest and do something else than wasting my life in World of Warcraft. College tuition is also completely financed through taxes here in Sweden and the student loans for living costs don't carry the same predatory interest rates as they do in the U.S (Circa 0.2% here!). I ended up slipping on the finish line though due to a deep depression during my last year, combined with a complete lack of interest in the thesis project I chose.

I did get a pretty nice full time job offer long before that though, so cash is flowing in and I'm holding my own for now. The problem is just that except for finishing that degree some time I no longer have any goals and therefore meaning in life... Don't get me wrong because I'm far from depressed at the moment, but I've just realized that I need something to strive for in life as a human being. For most people a partner and kids make that goal really easy, but I've only ever felt romantic feelings for a person once in my life and I'm pretty sure that I don't want kids. I certainly don't feel like dating or hooking up at night clubs that's for sure. Especially since finding a compatible, asexual partner IRL is like finding a needle in a haystack.

My issues are pretty high up on Maslow's hierarchy of needs to say the least but they are still issues none the less... I've though about this for roughly a year now and I'm not getting far. I have played around with the thought of starting my own company or travelling the world more though. But one problem with both of those is my other imperfection in society's eyes: Asperger's syndrome :P Which doesn't go very well with the inevitable social interactions involved with starting your own company or travelling around in foreign cultures. I am good at reflecting over social interactions and bashing my own behavior after the fact but in the moment I can be painfully clueless about social cues...

Edited by MayonnAce