For 20-somethings getting their feet off the ground

binary suns

ambivalent4422

I feel like I've been in the loop the last ten years. I have become mostly disinterested in my future and am pretty hopeless. I don't have control over my life and don't want anything from it anymore. I might leave the country, I might start studying yet another subject, I don't really care anymore.

I am 26, turning 27 next month. I try to compare myself less to other people my age or younger.

Im a lot like you.

I just don't feel there are a lot of opportunity for youth. it's not that life is "so hard", but there's really not anything out there. I mostly hang out at home and work on alone projects and try to make friends with other interested parties who might wanna join the fun (ps when you're un/underemployed it's SUPER hard).

don't really experience a lot of anxiety but I think it's realistic to observe that things are not likely to get better: for me, in any case.

I see the topic of friends being married and having children came up, and it makes me realize that so far I've been lucky that I haven't had to deal with what others here have. I'm so sorry to hear that some of you have had friends drop you because they got married or have children. :(

I can understand if someone no longer has the time for any of their friends because of needing to care for a child, but not when parents make the time for their friends who are also parents, but drop their childless or childfree friends out of their lives, as if they meant nothing? Is it because they think they have nothing to talk about with their friends who don't have children? One of my brother's closest friends became a parent and still made the time for my brother and his other friends who don't have children without neglecting his parental duties, and they still have a lot to talk about and places they can go together.

• Like 2

Although it hasn't happened to me, I do know a lot of people who will only be friends with other parents. In an extreme case, I know someone who has a special needs child and will almost exclusively be friends with other special needs parents because she says no body else understands her. It's silly though, because sometimes the best friendships come from people who have had different experiences. I know I won't be abandoning my friends when they become parents.

I think it's interesting how, as a teenager, I thought I'd be "grown-up" by now. I definitely don't feel like a kid anymore at my ever-so-ancient-era of the mid-twenties. Joking aside, things obviously haven't quite turned out how I planned. I figured by this point I'd be done my undergrad degree, done my Masters, and be working on a PhD. As things stand, however, I'm finishing up my undergrad degree just now. One semester to go!

Despite things not going exactly as originally planned though I'm not terribly upset. University got put on hold for a couple years because I decided at 18/19 that I was an AdultTM and that I needed my own place away from my parents. It was a rough year but it taught me a lot. Even though sometimes I wish I had kept with my original school-first plan overall I think I made the best decision for myself, and my life.

I have a difficult time meeting and connecting with people but as my University career has gone on I've met some really cool, really intelligent, really different people. I've held onto dear, older, friends and I've stayed close to family. All the people that matter in my life. It's pretty awesome to be honest.

Lastly, but perhaps most importantly, I discovered my sexuality in my twenties. It was something I joked about in school because I always knew I was different from most of my peers but I was unaware that asexuality was a valid orientation. It's only been as I've gotten older, and with the support of my friends, that I've come to acknowledge myself and my sexual identity. It's been a hugely freeing experience for me and I feel so much better about who I am as a whole now.

My twenties have been far from perfect but they've also been great years for growth and change and acceptance. It hasn't always been easy, but the way I see it life isn't easy. And that's okay.

Hi!

So I posted here about 10 months ago. My feet are still not off the ground, despite all that happened in these last 10 months.

Here is the situation as it is now. You don't have to read it XD but I kinda want to say it.

I am now 25. I live in France, with my parents. Upside: no rent + no bills. Downside: I hate Paris with everything I've got, there's four of us in a one bedroom flat (my brother is there too) and I am sleeping in the same bed as my mother.

I've got a wonderful partner who lives in Honolulu. That is over 7000 miles away. We met in person this summer, in Quebec, after one year in the relationship :wub: it was wonderful. We are sure, by now, that we want to spend the rest of our lives together. For now and for various reasons, he can't reasonably move away from Hawaii, so I have elected to try and move to Honolulu to join him (seriously, I hate Paris, guys, I hate it. And I'm not too fond of France and the French as a whole either.)

Problem one: I am French. I am Canadian. But I am not American. So the maximum I can stay in the US as a tourist is 6 months. Okay. It's a start. But that just leads us to problem 2: as a foreigner, I am not allowed to work in the US without a worker visa. Worker visas are hell to get, especially for a youngster who just started her career.

Career now! I'm a writer. It's what I've wanted to be since I was 8. So I'm trying. My parents have always encouraged me to pursue my dream because they're awesome. And because they're even more awesome, they sent me to Scotland for two years for a Master's degree in Creative Writing and are now paying off my bank loan. I made the most of it, studied full time, got out of there with a Distinction and a good chunk of what was eventually going to be my first novel. But I had reached 24 and not worked a single day of my life. Great degrees and all, but no experience. At all.

So now I am in a situation where I need to save a lot of money (I estimated I need 8000 euros to live in Honolulu for 5-6 months without an income. Calculated that in case I can't find a sponsored job while I'm there). So far, I have saved 1800 euros.

I just started a tutoring job in Paris and will soon take on another one. But that is like 14 euros an hour, 2 hours a week. Ridiculous. I may or may not have found an internship that is in my field (content writing) and would give me experience. It is two months and pays 200 euros a month.

So I'm scraping things here and there but man, guys, it is so hard to find a job when you have next to no experience. Even to put stuff on shelves at the K-mart you need 3 years of previous successful "putting stuff on shelves" experience.

So yeah. If anyone lives in Hawaii and needs a writer translator they can sponsor for a visa... *waves*

There. That was my life story. Thank you for the safe space :blush:

• Like 2

Career now! I'm a writer. It's what I've wanted to be since I was 8. So I'm trying. My parents have always encouraged me to pursue my dream because they're awesome. And because they're even more awesome, they sent me to Scotland for two years for a Master's degree in Creative Writing and are now paying off my bank loan. I made the most of it, studied full time, got out of there with a Distinction and a good chunk of what was eventually going to be my first novel. But I had reached 24 and not worked a single day of my life. Great degrees and all, but no experience. At all.

While it's indeed admirable to pursue your dreams, unfortunately outside of people who already come from a rich family to begin with, society won't support you much in that at all. Finding a job as a writer will be disproportionally difficult, I believe. :( Have you considered going into a more practical/sought after field as a sort of backup plan until you gain an audience as a writer?

• Like 2

I am trying to find work as a translator or in editing and publication for a steadier career. Still in my branch but not quite as unrealistic as novelist.

Ideally I'll need an internship or a junior position as an editor or reader for a publishing house or literary agency. I thought about ghostwriting as well. Apparently that's in demand. But all of that would be easier to get into if I could get my first novel published, I think. Even if a publication wouldn't earn me much money, it is good credentials.

Meanwhile, I'm trying to sell a dark adult dystopia with hardcore character study and not much action. I'm getting rejection slip after rejection slip.

I'm working on a second novel as well. Character study again but this time exploring the formative years of an asexual character trying to find his way in the world.

• Like 1

If you're under 30, a youth working holiday visa might be something to look into.

• Like 1

I kinda did, but I graduated over a year ago and that is a bit too long for them, usually. But I will look more into it :) thanks!

Applying to grad school is so annoying. *collapses from exhaustion*

Ah, memories. I remember that stress well! How many schools are you applying to? I was always so worried about making sure I had enough schools, but not too many, because I remember the applications taking forever to fill out. :(

I've been thinking of maybe going back (again) for a Master of Education in Educational Leadership, but I'm really iffy about it because more school and, well, more money. :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: I really hate how everything costs money; literally nothing causes me more stress than finances. I do have some options available--I served in Americorps, so I have my educational awards, which I could put towards it--but I'm not certain that would be enough to cover the entire costs, and I'd ideally love to avoid taking out (more) loans. :-/ I'm also a bit worried about balancing work, school, and grading/lesson planning/teaching all at once...plus, I just finished my six years to get my BA and MA. I'm not sure I want to go back to being a student again so soon.

tl;dr school is stressful lol

Ah, memories. I remember that stress well! How many schools are you applying to? I was always so worried about making sure I had enough schools, but not too many, because I remember the applications taking forever to fill out. :(

I've been thinking of maybe going back (again) for a Master of Education in Educational Leadership, but I'm really iffy about it because more school and, well, more money. :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: I really hate how everything costs money; literally nothing causes me more stress than finances. I do have some options available--I served in Americorps, so I have my educational awards, which I could put towards it--but I'm not certain that would be enough to cover the entire costs, and I'd ideally love to avoid taking out (more) loans. :-/ I'm also a bit worried about balancing work, school, and grading/lesson planning/teaching all at once...plus, I just finished my six years to get my BA and MA. I'm not sure I want to go back to being a student again so soon.

Not knowing how many schools to apply to is part of the stress! I have a top choice school, and worked over the summer with faculty there. I was told that I would probably get a spot there if I applied, but they didn't give me a guarantee, so I am trying to decide if I should apply to a safety school or two. The problem with that though is that I don't even know where else would be a good place to apply to, and with deadlines approaching I don't have a lot of time to research.

Faculty are ny current school are kind of unhelpful, as ny advisor keeps flip-flopping between "Don't apply anywhere else, you'll get into your top choice" and "Apply somewhere else to be safe, I just don't know where". I wish there were easy answers, because I don't want to screw this up and get stuck in limbo when I graduate from undergrad this spring.

Not knowing how many schools to apply to is part of the stress! I have a top choice school, and worked over the summer with faculty there. I was told that I would probably get a spot there if I applied, but they didn't give me a guarantee, so I am trying to decide if I should apply to a safety school or two. The problem with that though is that I don't even know where else would be a good place to apply to, and with deadlines approaching I don't have a lot of time to research.

Faculty are ny current school are kind of unhelpful, as ny advisor keeps flip-flopping between "Don't apply anywhere else, you'll get into your top choice" and "Apply somewhere else to be safe, I just don't know where". I wish there were easy answers, because I don't want to screw this up and get stuck in limbo when I graduate from undergrad this spring.

I think that it would be useful to apply to a safety school or two either way, honestly.

I had a similar dilemma, because I was really set on going to one particular school, and I nearly made myself sick by stressing over whether or not I would get accepted. My mom finally sat me down and told me to apply to a few other programs, and although filling out the applications and all was annoying, it did help alleviate a lot of the stress.

I had a friend in grad school who was planning to apply to law school, and she applied to sixteen programs. She got into thirteen of them. I felt like that was a bit much, but if it helped her feel less stressed, then power to her. I also remember that she had gotten a lot of the application fees waved by doing college visits and/or requesting more information, so doing something like that might help keep the cost of applying to multiple schools more feasible.

Good luck with your applications! I hope that you get into your first choice, and that the stress of applying/waiting doesn't get too unbearable for you! :)

• Like 1

I think that it would be useful to apply to a safety school or two either way, honestly.

I had a similar dilemma, because I was really set on going to one particular school, and I nearly made myself sick by stressing over whether or not I would get accepted. My mom finally sat me down and told me to apply to a few other programs, and although filling out the applications and all was annoying, it did help alleviate a lot of the stress.

I had a friend in grad school who was planning to apply to law school, and she applied to sixteen programs. She got into thirteen of them. I felt like that was a bit much, but if it helped her feel less stressed, then power to her. I also remember that she had gotten a lot of the application fees waved by doing college visits and/or requesting more information, so doing something like that might help keep the cost of applying to multiple schools more feasible.

Good luck with your applications! I hope that you get into your first choice, and that the stress of applying/waiting doesn't get too unbearable for you! :)

Ugh, know the feeling. Unfortunately for me, when I applied last winter for grad school, there was only one school on my list to apply to because the only other choice was waaaaay too expensive and didn't offer a lot in the way of scholarships, grants, etc. and both had an excellent program for what I was looking into. Hopefully you have more selection of schools to apply to (mine is a relatively new field within the past 5 years so only those 2 schools had the well regarded program for it).

I'd probably say apply to a couple of other programs, but honestly, applying to grad school is soooo different from applying as a high school senior. The amount of competition depends so much on the field you're in and the kind of degree you're after. And then so much of it is just a toss-up based on what professors that year are looking for, anyway! At least, that was my experience in English. I applied to maybe ten different places, I think, but bear in mind that I was applying for both MA and doctoral programs because I didn't know what I wanted. I got into all the MA programs and, Iike, 1.5 of the doctoral programs (wait-listed and then accepted at one), if that helps at all? If I had just focused on the MA's (which was what I ended up going for anyway), I could easily have gotten away with applying to three or four programs.

I'm applying to doctorate programs in computer science. I want to study algorithms/theory, and I want to be in a specific location, so it limits my choices a lot. My top choice school is basically perfect, and I've worked with one of the professors there over the summer so I already know he's the one I'd want to be working with if possible. There's only one other school I know of that might work for me, but admittedly I know almost nothing about it.

I talked to my adviser at my current school yesterday. It sounds like it's very unlikely I won't get into the PhD program at my top choice school, and if I don't get into the PhD program I should at least be accepted into the Master's program. So now my decision is whether I should have the Master's program at my top choice school be my backup, or if I should frantically try to find other doctorate programs to be my backup. Apps are due on December 15th, so I have 12 days to decide.

Being an adult is hard though. I miss when I didn't have so many major decisions to make. :/

• Like 1

Are you also thinking about strategies to increase your money?

I try to divide it in three categories (I copied this strategy): Expenses (keeping a list of my expenses, makes me think like Scrooge McDuck), investment (I have to think about this one in detail because I don't want to make decisions without the right knowledge, so I haven't used this money) and savings (I'm thinking if it's better to have this money at home in a safe place, or in the bank, every option has it's pros and cons).

-----

Good luck Delta!

• 2 weeks later...
akanesarumara

I got my Master's degree in translation and interpreting this June (just had my 26th birthday) and... still no job. Stuck in the vicious cycle of job experience, for one... for two, every translation agency wants me to be self-employed so they can track the amount of work I actually do more easily, but arranging that takes money too. Gonna have to try a factory work for a couple of months to save up on money... not looking forward to it.

Update: I applied to my top choice school yesterday. I am fairly confident I'll get into either the PhD program or at least the Master's program there. Maybe if not I'll stick around my current school for a Master's degree and then try to transfer into a PhD program somewhere else. I'll figure something out.

*crosses fingers that I get into the school I want*

• Like 4
awkwardfeminist

I applied for a PhD program a few weeks ago and have been called in for an interview! Its not until January and its "just" an interview, but this is a step further than I've gotten in other PhD programs I've applied for!! :) I'm very excited about the program, and even more excited about plans and financial stability for FIVE years.

• Like 3

Hi!

So I posted here about 10 months ago. My feet are still not off the ground, despite all that happened in these last 10 months.

Here is the situation as it is now. You don't have to read it XD but I kinda want to say it.

I am now 25. I live in France, with my parents. Upside: no rent + no bills. Downside: I hate Paris with everything I've got, there's four of us in a one bedroom flat (my brother is there too) and I am sleeping in the same bed as my mother.

I've got a wonderful partner who lives in Honolulu. That is over 7000 miles away. We met in person this summer, in Quebec, after one year in the relationship :wub: it was wonderful. We are sure, by now, that we want to spend the rest of our lives together. For now and for various reasons, he can't reasonably move away from Hawaii, so I have elected to try and move to Honolulu to join him (seriously, I hate Paris, guys, I hate it. And I'm not too fond of France and the French as a whole either.)

Problem one: I am French. I am Canadian. But I am not American. So the maximum I can stay in the US as a tourist is 6 months. Okay. It's a start. But that just leads us to problem 2: as a foreigner, I am not allowed to work in the US without a worker visa. Worker visas are hell to get, especially for a youngster who just started her career.

So now I am in a situation where I need to save a lot of money (I estimated I need 8000 euros to live in Honolulu for 5-6 months without an income. Calculated that in case I can't find a sponsored job while I'm there). So far, I have saved 1800 euros.

I just started a tutoring job in Paris and will soon take on another one. But that is like 14 euros an hour, 2 hours a week. Ridiculous. I may or may not have found an internship that is in my field (content writing) and would give me experience. It is two months and pays 200 euros a month.

So I'm scraping things here and there but man, guys, it is so hard to find a job when you have next to no experience. Even to put stuff on shelves at the K-mart you need 3 years of previous successful "putting stuff on shelves" experience.

So yeah. If anyone lives in Hawaii and needs a writer translator they can sponsor for a visa... *waves*

There. That was my life story. Thank you for the safe space :blush:

If you guys have decided to live together, can't you get like a visa for a live-in relationship? Otherwise I suppose you can get married. And after getting married you will get work authorization. And then you can do any job like working in cafes or libraries until you get a good job in your field.

I apologize if my reasoning sounds illogical. It is just my theory and I am unaware of any problems that may arise due to this arrangement,

Hi :) thanks for the reply :3

Is there such a thing as a visa for a live-in relationship? I've only ever found stuff about the fiancé visa and the family visa (which you can have if you're married).

Although we know that we will eventually get engaged and married, we have only been in each other's physical presence for two weeks and... Well... Let's just say we don't wanna give our folks a heart attack >_> also, when we get married, we'd like it to be because we're ready and want to, not because we have to. But yes, eventually, maybe after I spend like six months to a year living there with him, we probably will get engaged, removing the visa problem. And then I'll indeed certainly take a job in a coffee shop or something until the career starts picking up.

:cake: thanks for all your support!

• Like 2

Hi :) thanks for the reply :3

Is there such a thing as a visa for a live-in relationship? I've only ever found stuff about the fiancé visa and the family visa (which you can have if you're married).

Although we know that we will eventually get engaged and married, we have only been in each other's physical presence for two weeks and... Well... Let's just say we don't wanna give our folks a heart attack >_> also, when we get married, we'd like it to be because we're ready and want to, not because we have to. But yes, eventually, maybe after I spend like six months to a year living there with him, we probably will get engaged, removing the visa problem. And then I'll indeed certainly take a job in a coffee shop or something until the career starts picking up.

:cake: thanks for all your support!

I assumed there would be a live-in visa, I guess it is called Fiance` visa. I hope you can save enough to come here. All the best :)

Will you be living in your own apartment or sharing it with him? I'm not sure if Honolulu is expensive but from where I am at is way cheaper. I mean students around me survive for around $700 per month.

We'll be moving in together =3 not far from his mom's place. Unfortunately, Hawaii is very expensive. Unlikely we'll find anything below 1500 USD. It's about as expensive as here in Paris. But Hawaii has the ocean :p Paris has a very dirty River >_>

• Like 3
acetylcholine

Hooded Crow, I hope you are able to work things out. It would be so great if you could be in Hawaii. It does sound expensive, but I'm sure you can make it work!

Delta, good luck with your applications! You'll have to let us know how it goes :)

Hi everyone! I'm Acety. I'm almost 24, and in my last year of college. My program has internships instead of classes for the last year, so I've started living at home again instead of in the dorms. I work part time in my field, and am really hoping to get an offer from my employer to work there after graduation. I recently got engaged, and I still haven't quite figured out how that's going to work. There are a lot of things I don't know how to do yet, but I suppose our twenties are the times to learn. Theoretically, I'm in a really good place right now, but it's frustrating not to know where I'm going to be next year. My fiancé is trying to find work closer to me, but the job market still isn't that friendly. I like being prepared for what will happen next, but I have a lot of pending things right now. It's exciting, but also makes me a bit anxious.

With the new year, a lot of people make resolutions. I am going to try and learn how to manage my finances ( bills, expenses, budgeting, and hopefully saving some). What goals do you have for this year?

• Like 1

I think even if you are theoretically in a good place, it's very confusing when you're transitioning from one thing to another. I know I am always being told how well I am doing in my education, but that just makes me feel awkward because inside I'm very lost and I don't feel I deserve any praise.

I'm not really a fan of New Year's resolutions, but if I were, it would be to get more organized. It's one of my greatest weakness as someone who is supposed to be an adult.

With the new year, a lot of people make resolutions. I am going to try and learn how to manage my finances ( bills, expenses, budgeting, and hopefully saving some). What goals do you have for this year?

I like the idea of making resolutions in theory, but in practice, I'm really horrible at keeping them. :-/ I guess that if I was going to make one for this year, though, then I would like to get my finances (mostly) sorted out. I actually outlined a plan with my mom the other morning over coffee--thank goodness for holiday break, where I can cry to my mom in person--so I actually think that it might be (mostly) feasible, if I try really hard to stick with it for the next twelve months, and nothing catastrophic occurs to my car/apartment, where I would have to drain my bank account to fix it. I guess we'll see. I'm going to try and stay positive though, because I think that's usually one of the reasons why I always fail with my resolutions.

I'm not really a fan of New Year's resolutions, but if I were, it would be to get more organized. It's one of my greatest weakness as someone who is supposed to be an adult.

I feel this. Non work-related organization is definitely an area where I struggle. :(

I've resolved to get out of the parent's house next year. it's kinda scary for me. I've been kinda locked up here in their third floor for over a year now, out of anxiety.

it's still kinda hard to get out and not have to hide a meltdown the whole time, but in general I feel a lot lot better nowadays than in the beginning of the year.

I saw a doctor recently, I haven't been seeing anyone persistently and actually hadn't seen a doctor in two years. but I liked her and hope to keep seeing her. she recommended a psychiatrist to see. I plan to call this psychiatrist and make an appointment soon!

I am still waiting to hear back from medicaid. but my parents say that medicaid is a lot of paperwork and is hard to get, and they're applying for health insurance for me separately from my attempt. I have mixed feelings about that... but well, it's probably for the best.

at the least, I am no longer eternally destroyed emotionally by my disorganized "apartment", and have a good sense of the next few steps I want to take. I feel ready to take action! but, well, I'm not very efficient at actually pushing myself through. so it goes I guess ^_^

• Like 3

Hiya, I'm 20 and a second year law w/ german law student and I have no idea what I'm doing.

Honestly I still refer to myself as a teenager because it's so weird to be a 'proper adult'. I feel like more is expected of me now, but there's no one to help me figure out all of that stuff; I'm just expected to magically know how to do things. I managed to make a dentist appointment but I had a minor freakout before I called them.

atm there's stress cos I've got to find some work experience for the summer but I don't have enough experience to get the work experience if that makes sense. (I already hate the legal world and I'm not even in it yet...) and the application process for all of them is horrendous. Next September I'm moving to Germany (I'm UK atm) for a year for studies and I'm shitting myself. I literally do not know how I'm going to cope. I tried to find a flat but god knows how that's going to pan out.

I am trying to get shit together though. Like I started going to the doctors and various counselors etc cos I though at 20 I should probably get my mental health sorted but so far none of them have exactly helped... When I go back to uni I'm seeing another one but I'm not holding out much hope tbh.

Anyway, yeah, I guess like a load of people here I'm not too sure what's going on...

merry xmas btw

• Like 1
Lightning Blue Ray

Sounds like the 20s are a whole lot of uncertainty, which I'm not prepared for. I still have 3 years to go, yet I'm already feeling slightly apprehensive.

• Like 2