You know you are aromantic if/when...

confused&lost

When you can't even finish Romeo and Juliet because of the stupid love story (ok I finished it only because I needed in school, horrifying), when you avoid all the male friends after they told you they want to be your boyfriend actually and now I'm trying to finish a good manga that has a stupid love story

When you play any kind of RPG where there's a possibility of romancing or marrying someone - e.g. Fable, Mass Effect - and it never occurs to you to do so. Even if it means getting an achievement of some kind.

When you wake up screaming in the middle of the night because you just had a nightmare that you were married and pregnant.

You were Married.

Somehow some way they got you. In the way you'd always feared they would. In the way you were taught someone would do someday. They would catch you or trick you or emotionally manipulate you or something, but you would just end up married and trapped with this other person. A person who in your dream was In.Your. Bed. Like your bed. Like, get the hell out my bed, this is wear I do my sleeping.

All those teenage fears rushing back. ...the terror.

Novembers_Raindrop

When a guy asks you out and wants to hold your hand and you get very confused and don't understand the reasoning behind those things

When you wake up screaming in the middle of the night because you just had a nightmare that you were married and pregnant.

You were Married.

Somehow some way they got you. In the way you'd always feared they would. In the way you were taught someone would do someday. They would catch you or trick you or emotionally manipulate you or something, but you would just end up married and trapped with this other person. A person who in your dream was In.Your. Bed. Like your bed. Like, get the hell out my bed, this is wear I do my sleeping.

lol, I had a similar nightmare too, they convinced me to marry and I was married, in a white wedding dress, with this other person in his home and I ran away from there

Amoeba-Proteus

You were Married.

lol, I had a similar nightmare too, they convinced me to marry and I was married, in a white wedding dress, with this other person in his home and I ran away from there

I had one of those once.

I woke up in full panic... ._.

Married and nearing childbirth.

I remember I woke up and clawed at my stomach in desperation and disgust. And was incredibly relieved to find there was nothing there, and nobody laying beside me.

D:

Amoeba-Proteus

When a guy asks you out and wants to hold your hand and you get very confused and don't understand the reasoning behind those things

Been here too. Had a friend who always wanted to hold my hand for some reason. Every time he held his hand out, I was like "What are you doing? Why?"

When you're out with a bunch of girl friends, and you're the absolute last to realize that the guy who was talking to us half the night was talking to us because he was romantically interested in one of my friends.

Could be worse... The person in question could have been interested in you.

And the panic that thought causes is another indicator of being aromantic.

When you're out with a bunch of girl friends, and you're the absolute last to realize that the guy who was talking to us half the night was talking to us because he was romantically interested in one of my friends.

Could be worse... The person in question could have been interested in you.

And the panic that thought causes is another indicator of being aromantic.

LOL that is true. Having a guy approach me because of romantic interest would have been super awkward for everyone involved. :lol:

Although, the friends I was with know I'm aro/ace; if that did happened it may have been funny to watch them fend off a guy for me while I was there being oblivious to the whole thing.

Amoeba-Proteus

When you don't understand the appeal of "kissing in the rain".
What's the big romantic deal with that?

Buddy, it's raining. I'd rather be y'know... finding shelter rather than slobbering your face...

When you realize that all the "crushes" you've had were just you mixing up aesthetic attraction with romantic attraction

When you realize that all the "crushes" you've had were just you mixing up aesthetic attraction with romantic attraction

Or better yet, thinking having a crush was a conscientious decision you make, then using logic to have a "crush" ready next time your friends pester you.

my line of thought for the longest time: "crush? hmmm, someone from school I suppose--that's 1600 options. okay a guy I guess, I don't think I'm gay? For convenience sake let's make it a guy--that narrows it down to 800. They have to have some semblance of intelligence.....that narrows it down to about 300. Airhead/egomaniacs are a no.....150? They have to be nice, aka a decent human being....so maybe that leaves around 75? Aesthetics are nice, so that leaves me with 25 options? Humor would be nice. It would also be nice if they were taller than me. Oh and if I actually know them. Hey I have 2 options! Great now I have a crush!"

*facepalm* I was so clueless.....

When you play any kind of RPG where there's a possibility of romancing or marrying someone - e.g. Fable, Mass Effect - and it never occurs to you to do so. Even if it means getting an achievement of some kind.

Or you do those things in order to get the achievement, and now you view "declare love and have sex" as the point where you've completed the relationship and move on to something else.

When you're more excited that 14th February is Ferris Wheel Day than Valentine's Day ^_^ Yay for Ferris Wheels!

Star Inkbright

I love romantic relationships (in fiction) when the people love each other. Like, properly love each other, as people with a deep friendship would. I never understood why people got so emotionally involved with relationships that DIDN'T involve that friendship love.
:P

When you suddenly realise that until your mid twenties you believed friendship and romantic love are virtually the same thing except that when you love someone you also desire sex with them. Happened to me a few months ago. That was interesting.

XD
I'm not in my mid-twenties yet, but yeah, I did that too. :P
Amoeba-Proteus

Friend says to me "Hugs, not drugs!"
And while I personally agree with the "not drugs" part, the first thing out of my mouth was: "Neither. Ewh. Thanks."

butterflydreams

Been here too. Had a friend who always wanted to hold my hand for some reason. Every time he held his hand out, I was like "What are you doing? Why?"

In the only proto-relationship I ever had, there were two instances of hand-holding or attempted hand-holding, and both were, well, you decide...

First, we were with my friend and his girlfriend in the woods. I found a toad and picked it up to show her (I always liked picking up the big guys!) Well, it got scared and did what most amphibians do, it peed all over my hands. No biggie. She told me later she was going to hold my hand until that happened. It was just toad pee, I wiped it off on my pants :P

Second time, it was just us walking around the college campus in town. No toads this time, so she was holding my hand. I was really excited about this at first, but it wore off fast. My hand got sweaty, and I felt soooo awkward! At some point, I saw a little cottontail rabbit in the bushes, and I wanted to rush off to see it, but, what the hell, my hand, she was still holding it! I was like, hey, let go of my hand, don't you see that rabbit! I want to go see it!

An aromantic moment? Hahaha, I don't know, but it was something. Too bad I never really thought about how awkward holding hands felt.

Amoeba-Proteus

Yeah, I rather dislike hand holding. And just about everything physical.

When someone grabs my hand or hugs me, I literally lock right up. Then I always get the "what's your problem...?"
Don't touch me. THAT'S my problem.
I tried experimenting with that friend once. He always thought it was weird how much I hated being touched, and said I could get over it. I decided to try to prove it when he held his hand out the one time. I held it for at least 20 minutes while we were talking, but even then, my hand was locked out the whole time and I couldn't relax. Proved my point. He tried to claim "oh it's not that bad". But when it refused to unlock, he just went "Oh... I see..." :blink:

The only person who can get away with hugging me, without me locking up, is my jiu jitsu friend/trainer. But that's just because it's a matter of "eh, we've been in closer contact before, when trying to kick the crap out of each other." So it doesn't seem so bad. :P

@Hadley - I do that too. I'll chase snakes and other things around if I see them. I love staring at and following nature.
I'll be in mid-conversation with someone and stop to go "LOOK A BUNNY!" at the cottontail behind them... :P

Star Inkbright

I went to a rather large funfair last month, and I was holding my little sister's hand (and she was holding my brother's hand, and he was holding my dad's hand) in order to not get lost.

I think I only hold hands about once a year - when I go to this funfair. So whilst I was holding her hand, I had all these thoughts like "Ooh, yeah, I remeber hand-holding, this is cool, I don't normally hand-hold."
And it's a bit . . . annoying in a way (I mean, when your hand is the vertical one, it's fine, but when it's the horizontal one, it just doesn't seem to fit properly gahahah or maybe I'm getting them mized up . . .), but it was all warm and it felt all affectionate and awh . . . it was basically like hugging someone. Not that I normally hug people. I only hug my family. But sometimes I sort of like it and I think that if I got used to it I'd probably like hugging . . .

So, yeah. I decided that I sort of liked hand-holding. :)
She was wearing gloves, though. Gloves > skin. :P

I went on a series of four dates with a guy. The last one we went on was to a movie. About halfway through, he suddenly leaned over and asked if he could hold my hand. I gave him a weird look and said no. After the movie was out I explained that I didn't like to be touched and I wanted to get to know him a good deal better before I would start holding his hand. Needless to say, that was the last date I went on with him or anyone else. The idea of letting anyone near enough to hold hands, or worse, hug, unless they're good friends, just doesn't hold any appeal.

When you can't even finish Romeo and Juliet because of the stupid love story (ok I finished it only because I needed in school, horrifying), when you avoid all the male friends after they told you they want to be your boyfriend actually and now I'm trying to finish a good manga that has a stupid love story

Romeo and Juliet was boring. We also had to watch The Westside Story which actually made a lot more sense and was more interesting too, but the basic idea that Romeo and Juliet is a romance is actually false. They barely know each other and die for stupid reasons. But as a character in one of my favorite stories points out, "No one does 'never say die' passion like a teenager."

Romeo and Juliet was boring. We also had to watch The Westside Story which actually made a lot more sense and was more interesting too, but the basic idea that Romeo and Juliet is a romance is actually false. They barely know each other and die for stupid reasons. But as a character in one of my favorite characters points out, "No one does 'never say die' passion like a teenager."

I know stupid things like that, you don't know each other but you are ready to die in the name of your love. Like in this manga, there are two teenagers who didn't even speak to each other and are saying they are in love and want to marry, I'm gonna stop here I'm feeling dizzy now

Star Inkbright

Romeo and Juliet was boring. We also had to watch The Westside Story which actually made a lot more sense and was more interesting too, but the basic idea that Romeo and Juliet is a romance is actually false. They barely know each other and die for stupid reasons. But as a character in one of my favorite characters points out, "No one does 'never say die' passion like a teenager."

I know stupid things like that, you don't know each other but you are ready to die in the name of your love. Like in this manga, there are two teenagers who didn't even speak to each other and are saying they are in love and want to marry, I'm gonna stop here I'm feeling dizzy now

Yes! :/

I never understood that . . .

You know in Frozen, when Anna wants to marry Hans after knowing him for less than a day?

It's as ridiculous as THAT, except in Frozen it actually acknowledged the fact it was ridiculous. :/

You know in Frozen, when Anna wants to marry Hans after knowing him for less than a day?

It's as ridiculous as THAT, except in Frozen it actually acknowledged the fact it was ridiculous. :/

When I went to see Frozen with my friends, I was the only one who picked up in the fact that something had to be wrong with Hans, because no sane person could fall in love that quickly. Everyone else though he was super romantic and was upset when they found out he was evil.

I guess I'm too aromantic to be surprised by Disney's "totally unexpected" plot twist.

When I went to see Frozen with my friends, I was the only one who picked up in the fact that something had to be wrong with Hans, because no sane person could fall in love that quickly. Everyone else though he was super romantic and was upset when they found out he was evil.

I guess I'm too aromantic to be surprised by Disney's "totally unexpected" plot twist.

I knew that something was wrong with that guy too and that's why I didn't like Ana either, but gotta love Elsa

Star Inkbright

See, my dad just thought Disney were being idiots and portraying love unrealistically . . .

I'd had it spoilered for me, unfortunately. :/

When you're more excited that 14th February is Ferris Wheel Day than Valentine's Day ^_^ Yay for Ferris Wheels!

Ferris Wheel Day?! That's great news! I'm definitely going to remember that one for future Feb 14ths! :D

Amoeba-Proteus

Seeing these Facebook posts about "Well. Don't think I'm getting kissed under any mistletoe this year..."

This is actually a concern...?

Archived