You know you are aromantic if/when...

confused&lost

You respond to the question "Would you be single for the rest of your life for a million dollars?" with "I don't have a million dollars... Can we negotiate?"

A million dollars and being single for life? Isn't there no downside to that scenario? :P

The question is ambiguous. It could mean I would get a million dollars, or had to pay a million dollars. It was asked with the former meaning in mind, I answered with the latter.

When you get really upset that someone ask you to your high school graduation and you cant just say no (cause its too cold to say no to a nice guy you considered a friend and then go alone) and you were looking forward to going solo! Then you go graduation night like your there single anyway and you continue to do your own thing. One of many moments I realized I was aromantic but just didn't have a word for it.

binary suns

when you don't go to prom at all >.< or any of your college's winter balls >.< even tho it might be cool to dance and be social

when you don't go to prom at all >.< or any of your college's winter balls >.< even tho it might be cool to dance and be social

I really wanted to go to my prom, just to dance and have fun with my friends, but my high school had a rule that you could only go to prom as a (straight) couple. I obviously didn't have a boyfriend and all my guy friends were partnered up with someone else, so my friend ended up setting me with with one of her other friends who I hadn't met before so that I would be able to go. My prom was basically a blind date.

The guy I got set up with was a nice guy and I had a blast, but I still say it would have been a million times better if I had just gone solo.

Cereal Tendencies

When you consider joining Aroplane because there are too many romantics on Aven :P

Cereal Tendencies

Seriously this time

When you feel like you lost a friend the moment she announces she's in a relationship/engaged/married/2 kids etc.

WhoNeedsLabels?

When someone says, 'I love you' and for a moment your vision literally swims and you have to take a deep breath to stop yourself from having a panic attack.

When you play 'Kiss, Marry, Kill,' and agree with whoever you're marrying that it's an open relationship :P

When any picture of you smiling with another person (regardless of gender) prompts the question "so are you two a couple?" …And when you respond negatively, no one believes you because "you look so happy together."

Your alone reading a book and you just realize that that moment, together with a story, was so freaking awesome and that book just took you on the best date of your life. And well, no one can really match up to those expectations...so meh.

When you suddenly realise that until your mid twenties you believed friendship and romantic love are virtually the same thing except that when you love someone you also desire sex with them. Happened to me a few months ago. That was interesting.

I still don't get this either :\ I mean I do... but I don't. To other people, it seems to be different somehow, and not just because of sex. To me, they're practically the same. Except I'd have to go the friendship, cause at least people seem to understand boundaries in friendships :\

I also did the crush make-believe thing when I was 14. I was so confused!! I couldn't understand why it was mandatory to like someone. Why couldn't we just talk to the guys, why did we have to idolise them??

...you know you're aromantic when you watch romantic movies and the fact that the main characters come to love each other is awesome, but you wonder _why there has to be so much drama and angst_ before or after. (or maybe that's just me :P )

...you know you're aromantic when the thought of having to define your love for one particular person differently to everyone else is confusing and restricting. Why can't we just love everyone? :D

Mycroft is Yourcroft

When you picture your life stretched out in front of you... and there's no events like 'Wedding' or 'Honeymoon' or 'Anniversary' planned.

EDIT: This isn't actually always true, aromantic people might still get married :wub:

Synchrèse

...when you're listening to your friend whining about her love life and you realize that most of her problems are her own absurd inventions created to complicate human relations (even more).

MarieAntoinette

...when you thank your lucky stars that you're aromantic after listening to your friend weep and pine over an ex-boyfriend for 2 hours. Heartbreak doesn't seem very fun to go through

When you suddenly realise that until your mid twenties you believed friendship and romantic love are virtually the same thing except that when you love someone you also desire sex with them. Happened to me a few months ago. That was interesting.

I always disliked the stereotypical idea of "slushy-wushy ooey-gooey lovey-dovey" romantic love. But not knowing anything about the concept of asexuality, I assumed that if I was attracted (aesthetically, personality-wise, occasionally sensually) to someone then that must mean I "really" wanted to have sex with them. I think I ended up believing that sexual activity was something I'd be willing to do with a really good friend (and I think more for their benefit than mine). I've only found out about asexuality recently, and I still have no idea whether this makes me aromantic or not. :unsure:

when you watch one of those romantic films when friends get romantically involved, and everyone else is happy about it but you are thinking "this doesn't make sense, they were such great friends, why would they ruin it?"

Amen!

When you find yourself psychoanalyzing your friend's crushes/love life trying to figure exactly what romantic love is and why it cause people to act the way they do.

When you spend your whole life wondering why the hell people would write so damn much love songs and love stories when there is so many other interesting things to talk about.

And as a bonus:
When you stop your teacher from using you as some example in her stories because you know the probability of it being some sort of love/pairing related thing is high.
(And you were right/glad that you stopped it)

You have no idea what you'd do with a boyfriend or why your peers want to date so badly.

(And then you realize you're supposed to want one so you can hug and kiss them and hold hands as you whisper sweet nothings to each other.)

Member74140

You wonder why you never got a date like everyone else and then realized you never wanted one in the first place.

Also getting really confused why in romances everyone goes batshit insane out of jealousy.

TheMadAtcher

...As a little girl, you dreamt of your wedding, but there was no one in it but you.

this is such a realization. its so true. ohmygosh

Sinead Buckley

when you're afraid to show all the affection you want to your friends because they're 100% gonna think you want anything in return from them besides the same acceptance they've shown you so far

Yes!!! I get it! It's so hard to be sincere to people because they always take it the wrong way!

Sinead Buckley

I'm not sure if you would call it aromantic if you have trouble putting effort into maintaining even the simplest relationships that don't involve romance. I almost never hang out with anyone outside of school and I don't even bother trying to hang out with people. I'm more comfortable alone. But I don't hate people! Any thoughts?

When you were in a relationship for 3 months and you actually were glad they cheated on you so that you had a legitimate reason to end the relationship... (I think this may make me a horrible person)

Also, the inability to tolerate touching/kissing/hand-holding/cuddling/ect, or just simply be affectionate enough because the person feels more like a close friend than anything more (not that I understand what anything more even is, really).

When you were in a relationship for 3 months and you actually were glad they cheated on you so that you had a legitimate reason to end the relationship... (I think this may make me a horrible person)

The only time I was in a relationship I was constantly looking for him to treat me badly so that I had an excuse for breaking up with him. I would have been glad to be cheated on as well.

After a month I couldn't take it anymore and broke up with him even though I didn't have a "real reason". It was one of the most awkward things ever and not something I want to repeat.

People ask me if I've got a boyfriend and I'm like "no, never had" and people are like O__O and I want to add "and never will have". And then people are like "well, you'll find someone" and I'm like "naaahh".

Synchrèse

When your friend, who apparently feels lonely, tells you that he hates going to his cold bed alone and he wishes to have an intimate, romantic relationship with someone and all you can think of is how much you don't like the idea that you're lying in bed yourself and there's somebody's face next to yours.

Mademoiselle Pink

all you can think of is how much you don't like the idea that you're lying in bed yourself and there's somebody's face next to yours.

That sounds horribly creepy to me. Hahaha!

I can't imagine waking up and someone is there, in my bed, sleeping, every. single. morning! Urgh!! Never a quiet, alone time, morning!!

binary suns

huh weird, I've never thought about that sort of thing, because I sleep so much shorter than most people, that any time I've slept in a bed with someone I get up before they wake up... every morning is still "alone" for me

Anime Pancake

Person, "Do you have a girlfriend?"

Me, "No."

Person, "You haven't found anyone you like yet? Or you just don't care about getting in a relationship."

Me, "Hmm. I guess I just never... think about it."

We both laugh awkwardly.

Archived