Defining asexuality - a better definition?

thjb

779 members have voted

1. 1. Please select your orientation;

• asexual
    • grey-asexual
    • demisexual
    • heterosexual
    • homosexual
    • bisexual
    • pansexual
    • other
    • rather not say
  2. 2. Which of these would you prefer as a definition of asexuality/an asexual person?

• a person who does not experience sexual attraction (current AVEN definition)
    • a person who does not feel a desire for partnered sex (with emphasis on the "partnered")
    • a person who does not feel a desire for partnered sex and/or little or no sexual attraction
    • a person who experiences little or no sexual attraction and/or little or no desire for partnered sex (again an emphasis on the "partnered")
    • another definition (please post below)
    • a person who is not intrinsically attracted to any gender sexually
  3. 3. do you think most non-asexuals understand you when you explain asexuality?

• mostly
    • to some extent
    • not really
    • not at all
    • not sure

This poll is closed to new votes

• 3 weeks later...

I personally relate to the current AVEN definition and use this when I explain asexuality. I understand a number of people don’t find it accurate enough. Maybe it could be added to rather than changed?

• 4 months later...

I like "a person who does not feel a desire for partnered sex and/or has no sexual attraction". I dislike the "little or" though because a- means "not", it doesn't mean "some" or "a little". And the reason I like adding the "desire for partnered sex" is because it's hard to explain what attraction feels like to those who don't know what it feels like. 

• 10 months later...

In The Asexual Manifesto by Lisa Orlando written in 1972, I read this definition of asexuality :

« 'Asexual' as we use it, does not mean 'without sex' but 'relating sexually to no one'. This does not, of course, exclude masturbation but implies that if one has sexual feelings they do not require another person for their expression. Asexuality is, simply, self-contained sexuality. »

I really like this definition. If I was told when I was younger that being Asexual is to be related sexually to no one I would have known sooner that I'm Asexual.
Indeed, I  think it would have been easier for me to figure out I'm not related sexually to anyone than to figure out I'm not sexually attracted to anyone. 
Not being related sexually to anyone is more a fact whereas not being sexually attracted to anyone is more a feeling. It can be easier to rely on facts rather than on feelings, especially when this feeling was never experienced.

Moreover, in this definition both libido and partnered-sex are encompassed with the phrase 'sexual feelings' and it's helpful because like some other aces I thought I couldn't be ace because of sex drive and masturbation.

Lisa Orlando 
The Asexual Manifesto
https://m.box.com/shared_item/https%3A%2F%2Fapp.box.com%2Fs%2Fp7ngvv3iueaj0hk7xadkwd92af2zx4yz

• 3 months later...

asexuality is when you dont really have any urges or crushes that make you want to form a relationship.

and you have no sexual desire(s) to have sex with a person

Archived