Possible Asexual Sibling

RedRaptor

First, I must clarify that I am Asexual and I have not told my family.

I also have a little sister (19) based on conversation with my mum and just generally growing up with my sister I've seen a few signs that she may be asexual too. I have more dating experience and a much higher level of comfort with the opposite sex than my sister does, She has expressed that she can be friends with guys and girls but as soon as the dynamic changes i.e. someone develops feelings for her she loses all confidence and becomes awkward. She has also never had a boyfriend or shown any desire to have one. I've also seen images on her phone of t-shirts stating things like "fries before guys. food before dudes" and "you, me, candles, a bathtub, naked, never going to happen" (wasn't snooping she let me look). I know the only conclusive proof would be her actually telling me she's asexual, but I can't help but wonder.

I haven't told her I'm asexual and telling her is hard for me, but if it would benefit her to tell her about the asexual community, I want to find a way to do it without having an awkward "coming-out" conversation. Should I just just leave AVEN homepage up on my computer? or link an asexuality article on facebook or twitter or something that she might see? How would you handle this situation?

Well, I guess it would work to leave a page up for her to find, but it might end up with silence (her thinking that was awkward and you wondering if she even saw it), its probably easier to find out by just asking her, or telling her about your own asexuality.

I believe that I have one (atleast one) asexual sibling and an asexuel/grey/demi mother, I doubt that I will speak to them about it unless they bring it up.

Frigid Pink

I'd casually ask them if they've ever heard of asexuality before.

I actually did this with my brother (thought he might be asexual) and came out to him in the process. I was pleasantly surprised that he, unlike my cousin who I was extremely close to at the time, was very understanding and accepting about it.

My brother has a "take it or leave it" attitude about sex, although he doesn't currently identify as asexual. My cousin, on the other hand, is what I'd consider a very sexual person, and his response to my coming out to him was the start of the distance that exists between us now.

Archived