"Sex is not a natural act" by Leonore Tiefer

ithaca

I've just started reading this quite interesting (but not new) book, and just after a few pages we can see this:

VYaVvi0.jpg

KwQmszb.jpg

CRzfhen.jpg

(No, I didn't use colors on the book, it's actually something I hate, but I bought it used, so I'll have to be patient).

It doesn't explicitly use the word "asexuality" but it still mentions people who do not have interest in sex. I'll update this thread if I find other interesting things while I read the book.

Thank you for sharing this. The whole passage applies to more than just asexual orientation, but it's also nice to see a specific reference. ^_^

Member54880

Great find! :D

Speaking of avoidance of sex, and 'abnormality', I've been reading up on Sexual Anorexia, which isn't an official diagnosis, but it's described as: an avoidance of sex that is rooted in shame and extreme fear of the consequences, is a compulsive that consumes a person, interferes with daily life, impairs relationships, and uses maladaptive coping mechanisms. At the time the book that introduced this concept was written, asexuality, nor being sex-repulsed, or sex-averse (without distress, nor going to extreme lengths to avoid sex, nor being motivated by shame or self-hatred) weren't known of.

I find the title confusing and intriguing!! what she is saying in the pages you have uploaded (regarding 'normalcy'), makes sense.. but 'natural' and 'normal' are two very different things :o ...for many people (obviously not all people), sex is something that does come 'naturally' to them, they have a natural desire for sex, and a natural desire to express sexual feelings with another being of the same species (just like any other animal does).. I'd be interested to read more (is googeling now) ^_^

I find the title confusing and intriguing!! what she is saying in the pages you have uploaded (regarding 'normalcy'), makes sense.. but 'natural' and 'normal' are two very different things :o ...for many people (obviously not all people), sex is something that does come 'naturally' to them, they have a natural desire for sex, and a natural desire to express sexual feelings with another being of the same species (just like any other animal does).. I'd be interested to read more (is googeling now) ^_^

The paragraph about "normality" is not related to the title :)

Dr Tiefer is a social constructionist, and in this book she wants to analyse all the contructions about and around sex, including the part played by pharmaceutic companies (the medicalization of sex).

I advise reading it, or listening to her ideas in this podcast:

Thanks for the podcast!! I read this too:

http://www.msmagazine.com/aug99/sex-oppositeofsex.asp

I understand what she is saying, in many cases. And I agree that people need to stop worrying about what everyone else is doing, and just focus on their own happiness and enjoyment. Not a book for me personally, but I am sure it will be really helpful for lots of other people here!!! If you are reading this, you should definitely listen to the podcast and reading the article, fascinating..Thanks Ithaca for providing me with some interesting morning reading/listening material!! ^_^

Archived