'That smile'

AnomalyEternal

AnomalyEternal

I'm rather confused. Today I was daydreaming, nothing overly important was happening so I didn't miss anything. I started thinking about my two characters and decided to make one of them ace. I was pleased with this prospect. Suddenly my reverie was interrupted by a multitude of female friends, who were all giggling for some reason. And then they proclaimed; "you told us you didn't have a crush on him!" Man was I confused. Turns out I'd been staring at this boy for ages without realizing. I tried to assert my lack of attraction, but they refused to listen. The only reason I'd been smiling mind you was because I was glad about making a character ace, but apparently I had 'that smile' people have when they're thinking about their crush?

I've never had a crush before and I'm actually really confused. Is this actually a thing? Is their a certain smile people have when they're thinking about their crush?

I wasn't completely sure of this either, but being in a romantic relationship I've been able to look at these kinds of faces 'first-hand.' First off, yes, there is a particular face people get when looking at a significant other or a crush (depending how deep it may go). However, it is much more of a smile&eyes combo than just a smile on its own. The look that many people get while day dreaming does often mimic this face, more so when smiling.

One thing to note, it is highly likely that the people telling you this are trying to find an excuse for some light/playful teasing. So just looking in this person's general direction for more than a fleeting moment counts as thinking about them, when this is the case. It can cause more of a problem if you can really see the images of your day dream on top of the real world. I did that often, and you end up looking at people/things without being consciously aware of just how long your eyes have been locked to this subject.

The ill-directed daydream gaze, I am familiar with this. I get extremely absorbed in thought when I daydream, I just start to ignore all of my eyesight. One time when I 'came back' to reality I'd realized some lady had moved into my line of sight and I was now staring straight at her cleavage. I have no idea for how long and no idea if anyone noticed.

I can't say much about a 'crush gaze', though, I don't usually pick up on that kind of thing.

littleheartsofjoy

Oh when I think about him, I totally smile. So crush smile happens for me for sure!

But when I think about stuff that make me excited and all, I get a smile too.

I don't have a crush smile so much as an "I'm particularly pleased about something" smile. Soooometimes that includes romantic attraction but also random things -- thinking about fan fic and other geekery, grades, a successful moment. But my friends know it and give me grief for it. ^_^

alpacaterpillar

I don't show much expression (that I'm aware of), but I think past crushes made me cry more than anything...

yeahoriginal

I'm gonna agree with Temierus. You're friends are just projecting 'that smile' that is oh so often portrayed in movies and stuff onto your situation. Sure people probably smile when they think about someone they like, but as mentioned by quite a few, there are infinite reasons to smile. (and EVERYONE has zoned out/got lost in their own thoughts before so it's not like your friends wouldn't have been able to empathize) It's unfair for them to impose one specific reason for a smile and disregard your explanation.

These kind of situations make me feel tired. I'm feeling tired for you. (hehe)

I had this happen to me once, sorta. I had just gotten back to school after having my eyes tested, and was wearing sunglasses in class. (Pupils were dialated, things were VERY bright). Class was almost over and I was staring at the clock while daydreaming, waiting for the bell to ring. However, in the same general direction as the clock was a group of girls in the class, and then one of them asked who I was staring at. Startled from my reverie I just stammered, "I'm looking at the clock. Class is almost done." I don't think they believed me, but, whatever.

Archived