Incredible Aromantic Moments (other romantic orientations invited)

nerdperson777

This happened earlier.

Me (to dad): Did Annie (our dog) kiss you yet?

Dad: Oh okay.  *kneels to dog height for affection*

*whispers* I want a kiss from mom.

Mom (hears from nearby bathroom): you can kiss my butt.

I texted this to my cousin who asked, what if dad said yes?  I really don't know.

(My mom isn't actually aro but she finds dating shows overly dramatic and is totally not into my dad.)

On 4/19/2014 at 2:31 PM, Wokgran X said:

- Playing Rune Factory / Harvest moon and then making your most confused face whenever people ask "who you paired with in the game?". It's not necessary, why bother? I was too busy upgrading the farm/tools.

Alternately, dating everyone in stardew valley because they're all cool people and you want to see all the events, only to be totally screwed when the devs update the game so you can get caught "cheating..." I'm scared to load my save file lmao

I was in a shop in town looking at some rainbow things, and i got a few bits (a few days later i used  a rainbow shopping bag as a way to bring up LGBT issues and pretty much come out to my mom. I sent a few pictures of things i bought to my friend, who said, 'I can't wait for people to see this and assume we're a lesbian couple'

once she had no money for a milkshake but refused to let me buy her one, so we comprimised and shared one with two straws. sometimes we split a brownie sundae because i can't finish one and she's not allowed order her own dessert, and one time when i asked for a sundae with two spoons the waiter just sort of stood there staring at us both for a second.

I never see this these a couple/romantic things, just a logical solution and it's days or weeks later i looked back and realise what it might have looked like.

• Like 5
nerdperson777
3 hours ago, Amy94 said:

I was in a shop in town looking at some rainbow things, and i got a few bits (a few days later i used  a rainbow shopping bag as a way to bring up LGBT issues and pretty much come out to my mom. I sent a few pictures of things i bought to my friend, who said, 'I can't wait for people to see this and assume we're a lesbian couple'

once she had no money for a milkshake but refused to let me buy her one, so we comprimised and shared one with two straws. sometimes we split a brownie sundae because i can't finish one and she's not allowed order her own dessert, and one time when i asked for a sundae with two spoons the waiter just sort of stood there staring at us both for a second.

I never see this these a couple/romantic things, just a logical solution and it's days or weeks later i looked back and realise what it might have looked like.

I had a similar thought about getting some refreshing drinks with a friend.  She is trans but it's kind of hard to pass with a low voice and no range so I guess she stopped trying.  We often pay for each other every other time so I wonder if the cashiers think we're a gay couple.  We look and act like two feminine guys.  Ah, the weird complications of gender identity and expression.

17 hours ago, Amy94 said:

A lot of people are probably going to think I'm dating some of my friends (both boy and girl) because I steal their food a lot and I'm really comfortable around them. I also use my guy friends as pillows a lot.

I was recently informed that this makes it look like you're dating. *shrugs*

• Like 1
nerdperson777
5 hours ago, Miss Who said:

A lot of people are probably going to think I'm dating some of my friends (both boy and girl) because I steal their food a lot and I'm really comfortable around them. I also use my guy friends as pillows a lot.

Any sort of physical affection, people think it's only for partners.  At school, I saw a group of three freshmen friends who touched each other a lot so even in the LGBT center, people really thought there was some sort of dating going on.  When I took a theatre course, I touched the guy's shoulder three times (as a girl) and the professor totally saw the connection.

In elementary school I realized my friend actually had crushes and I didn't, so I started writing "I won't fall in love" on little papers and hiding them all over my room. I recently found one in a hollow statue I hid under my desk and I'm pretty sure there's still one under a roof tile somewhere. I think I was mostly trying to tell myself that it was ok not to fall in love, even though everyone told me I should. 

• Like 2
On 6/21/2018 at 3:19 PM, nerdperson777 said:

Any sort of physical affection, people think it's only for partners.

SO many people are going to be confused now, and it's going to be hilarious

nerdperson777
3 hours ago, Miss Who said:

SO many people are going to be confused now, and it's going to be hilarious

Well, now you're confusing me.

snapesonalane
On 6/21/2018 at 8:11 AM, Miss Who said:

A person I used to be friends with would actually get mad at me for doing stuff like this. I suspect she had on and off feelings for me until she met her current girlfriend so what my aro ass saw as a very close friendship (veering towards qpr now that I think about it) she must have seen as very confusing "mixed signals". She would actually say stuff like:  "you're not my girlfriend, I don't have to [listen/help/etc]" which would stump me because of course I wasn't her girlfriend, why would I be? I guess that's a struggle aromantic people can have when forming really close platonic relationships with romantic people. 

It's definitely frustrating that those kinds of close relationships are misconstrued as exclusively romantic. 

• Like 5
WoodwindWhistler
21 hours ago, snapesonalane said:

"you're not my girlfriend, I don't have to [listen/help/etc]"\

Jerk! Does she talk to her other friends that way? 

This is what's wrong with society. The only person people feel like helping is their partner?? No wonder people are suicidal all over the place and it's only getting worse. They have to put out (or navigate the complicated route to get someone to put out) just for emotional support! Screw that! (pun intended)

• Like 7
On 6/23/2018 at 3:26 AM, nerdperson777 said:

Well, now you're confusing me.

Well, when my friends and family let me hug them, or use them as pillows, it kinda a signal for me that they care about me.

Me and some of my friends basically hug each other, use each other as pillows, and occasionally hold hands on a regular basis. 

Huh, I can see how I'm confusing you.

nerdperson777
11 hours ago, Miss Who said:

Well, when my friends and family let me hug them, or use them as pillows, it kinda a signal for me that they care about me.

Me and some of my friends basically hug each other, use each other as pillows, and occasionally hold hands on a regular basis. 

Huh, I can see how I'm confusing you.

Oh I get it now.

• 4 weeks later...

Sometimes when people talk about "cute boys" my brain automatically thinks of doggies.

"Mmm, that's a cute boy"

"Oh, where? What breed is he??"

"Um.. human?"

• Like 8
  • 1 month later...
CatsClubsNCake

(In a baby shower)

Everyone: "Happy first child!"

My friend: "Happy first mistake!"

Me: *chokes on ice cream cake*

• Like 6
CatsClubsNCake

Person - Cece, truth or dare?

Me - Truth

Person - How long ago was your first kiss?

Me - ...

Person - C'mon! You have to answer!

Me - It would be easier to ask in how much time will my first kiss happen

Person - ...oh okay, and?

Me - Well, never

Person - ...

Me - ...

Person - Ok so Callie, truth or dare?

• Like 1
nerdperson777
54 minutes ago, CatsClubsNCake said:

"So, do you want a big wedding or a simple wedding?"

"WHEN you have kids, your days off aren't really off."

CatsClubsNCake
5 minutes ago, nerdperson777 said:

"WHEN you have kids, your days off aren't really off."

How many kids do you want?

"Three; one girl and too boys"

"Twin girls omg"

"Only one"

"..."

Can you guess which one is me? 😂

• Like 1
Anthracite_Impreza

I've already raised almost a hundred children to adulthood. They're snail children, but no one ever specified.

• Like 5
WoodwindWhistler
On 8/27/2018 at 10:00 PM, nerdperson777 said:

"your days off aren't really off."

Blaming children for no relaxation when America is the most overworked country. Seems legit. 

And we also somehow wonder why *kids* are so suicidal, maladjusted, anxious, and prone to shooting sprees. Maybe it's because the most natural of impulses (maternal bonding, and to a lesser degree, paternal) has been wrecked by tech distractions and longer, harder hours for less pay. 

People are also more likely to shack up with a person for primarily economic reasons, putting strain and premature pressure on interpersonal relationships.

Domestic violence rates also rise with economic downturns.

It's in becoming aware of stuff like this, you really start to be glad you're aro spec. 

Because my mother is an independent salesperson, she sets her own workload and schedule, and (I assume this is at least partially as a result) literally gasps in horror at lyrics like "and mom and dad can hardly wait for school to start again" in It's Beginning to Look A Lot like Christmas. She can't wrap her head around the idea of not wanting to spend as much time around your own children as you can . . . 

She's also adopted, so I am also blessed to have the 100% approval rating for wanting to adopt instead of birth kids. Yay!

• Like 2

Sometimes people tell me they "know who my crush is" and I'm extremely curious about what makes them think that I have a crush in the first place. When they tell me they "just know" (how?!), I think about how I've never had anything I'd describe as a crush, so people can't know about it, since it never existed.
😞

Friend: Oh, he totally likes youuuuuuuu

Me: ????

Me: *relays what said person does around me to parents*

Parents: He definitely 100% likes you

Me:

Me: I feel so bad now

-----

Friend: I ship you two so muchhhhh

Me: *looks disgustingly at the person I'm shipped with*

Me: Really????

Friend: You two will make the more gorgeous babies!!!!!!

Me: I'm fourteen?????

Friend: Awwwwww he looked at you!!!!

Me: Yeah, I look at people all the time????

Friend: You totally like him wowowowwww

Me:

Me: No actually I don't????? How did you come to that conclusion??

Friend: Haha, you don't have to pretend :))))

-----

Friend: Nobody loves me, I'm gonna die alone :(((

Me: I love you

Friend: Yeah but I don't mean like that

Me: What do you mean?

Friend: Nobody has a crush on me

Me: Who cares? You have your friends and family

Friend: Yeah but no boy loves me so I'm useless

Me: Your dad????

Friend: But I mean romantically

Me: But???? Why???? Does??? A boy?????? Romantically???? Loving you??? Even????? Matter??????????

Friend: Because if no boy loves me, it means I'm ugly and undesirable

Me: But??? You're not??????

Friend: You don't have to lie

Me: ?????????

• Like 7

I can’t relate when people lament how they’ve been relegated to the friendzone. I’m just like, “Errr...yeah, that’s a real shame. Hope that ummm...never happens to me. It’s not like it would make potential friendships a lot less complicated. 😅” I’d be more worried in a friendship where it wasn’t clear if I was friend material or a potential romantic interest. 😓

• Like 9

This might go with asexual but people keep calling me innocent just because I don't understand innuendos??? I'm sorry, would someone innocent know exactly how much hemlock is needed to kill someone????? Or how many belladonna berries someone would need to eat for it to be fatal??????

• Like 4
Anthracite_Impreza
19 hours ago, WoodwindWhistler said:

and mom and dad can hardly wait for school to start again

Omg my family are terrible for this; I'm like, why the fuck did you have kids then???

• Like 3
nerdperson777
3 hours ago, Suigin said:

Sometimes people tell me they "know who my crush is" and I'm extremely curious about what makes them think that I have a crush in the first place. When they tell me they "just know" (how?!), I think about how I've never had anything I'd describe as a crush, so people can't know about it, since it never existed.
😞

My mom did that but not with crushes.  She would accuse me of being a liar to get me to admit that I was lying.  I would know if I lied and 90% of the time, I wasn't lying so I knew that mom didn't know.

• Like 1

One thing I never understood is why some adults think it’s so cute when someone of the opposite sex picks on you when you’re a young kid. It’s like, “B****, help me! 😡 This ****ing sucks!” One of my worst memories as a toddler was when I had to be watched by a family who had a demon child that was like 2+ years older than I was, and she was an absolute menace. It was no surprise to me when i heard that she ended up playing some hardcore, physical sports in high school. Granted, it was not a “bully my crush” situation, they were just sadistic, but still, stop thinking bullying is romantic people! I’m just glad I don’t have a complex today from all that.

• Like 8

A friend of mine once came to the family business where I worked at with her family and I was quite awkward when I greeted them.

The next day.....

friend: hey, my sister thought you had a crush on me and said we could be a cute couple.

me: What the he-.... Why would she think that?

friend: *laughs* Don't worry, I already told her that it wasn't like that. You were acting shy yesterday, which gave the wrong idea.

me: That's because I'm awkward when people I know come to my workplace.

• Like 4
Anthracite_Impreza
48 minutes ago, Laplace said:

One thing I never understood is why some adults think it’s so cute when someone of the opposite sex picks on you when you’re a young kid. It’s like, “B****, help me! 😡 This ****ing sucks!” One of my worst memories as a toddler was when I had to be watched by a family who had a demon child that was like 2+ years older than I was, and she was an absolute menace. It was no surprise to me when i heard that she ended up playing some hardcore, physical sports in high school. Granted, it was not a “bully my crush” situation, they were just sadistic, but still, stop thinking bullying is romantic people! I’m just glad I don’t have a complex today from all that.

These ideas that bullying, violence, refusal to accept "no" and stalking are romantic all need to stop.

• Like 6