Incredible Aromantic Moments (other romantic orientations invited)

The Roomba Chicken

I kinda just realised that for most of my life, my only goal was (still is) to have a pet snake,

Tell me that's not the stereotypical "Aces are more interested in dragons"!

(I know this is a more Asexual thing but I think Aromantic can be included <3 )

• Like 4
  • 2 months later...
Artsy Anvil

One incredible aromantic moment is when my friends are talking about going out on dates and then ask me if I plan of dating anytime soon. In my head I’m like, “In your dreams! You wish! Never going to happen!” But all I say is, “No.”

• Like 1

in college, there was a guy I knew that I was quite friendly with. I have apsergers syndrome and all kinds of social anxiety, so I wasn't really proper friends with any college people outside of college, but anyway, this guy and I would talk and joke before and after class a lot {almost every day}. On the last day of exams, at the end of my degree, we are saying goodbye, probably for good.

The guy says to me 'So how are you getting home?'

me: 'the bus, I take it every day"

him "I can walk with you there if you like'

me: "i know where it is, I go there every day!'

him 'Oh, right....see you at graduation then"

It was only as I was walking away that i realised what happened, and i literally face palmed myself. He ended up not going to graduation, and I have never seen him since.

• Like 4

Well I like gender bender stories and occasionally follow dramas. Many cool FTM characters (most of stories are featuring FTM but not MTF)

I can enjoy the first few episodes - but once things get romantic, I feel really disappointed and stop watching...I don't understand why romance kicking in all the time..

On 3/1/2018 at 5:39 PM, Miss Who said:

WHAT WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO DO THAT THAT'S DISGUSTING WHHHHHHYYYYYYY

On 3/1/2018 at 5:45 PM, Beaver Boy said:

And the way it sounds is really disgusting too. I heard one comedian describe it is "sounding like stirring macaroni and cheese"

I love that analogy. But I'm likewise perplexed. Must be awkward.

ExquisiteMystery

Kind of embarrassingly slow on the uptake:

My brother dated a girl, who I became friends with afterwards.  We go places, I help her figure out social situations (normal friend advice). She sleeps, clothed,  in my bed when she is in town.

More than 10 years pass, similarly. She dates and gets engaged. I'm happy she's happy. So her fiancée comes on the phone while they are telling me. She says, "So, you are ok that we're getting married?"

I assume it's the friend in place of parental figure, qualifications for marriage. So after verifying she'll be treated well,  am all like "Yes, I'm fine with it".

Turns out my friend had been flirting with me for YEARS, and I had NO IDEA AT ALL.  But part of me wondered, why would you keep trying that long?

So, yep, oblivious.

• Like 5
4 hours ago, Miss A said:

Turns out my friend had been flirting with me for YEARS, and I had NO IDEA AT ALL.

Haha, that could have happened to me. I can never tell when someone is flirting. Unless it's really obvious, and then I wonder if they are just joking.

• Like 2
On 5/20/2018 at 3:03 AM, waddiwasi said:

Haha, that could have happened to me. I can never tell when someone is flirting. Unless it's really obvious, and then I wonder if they are just joking.

I remember one time in high school that I found someone had wrote “I love you” in small letters on a page in my binder. I guess it really speaks volumes about my trust issues cause I immediately assumed it was at best a prank by one of my friends and at worst a cruel joke meant to raise my hopes and crush them I realized there would be no payoff. Sorry secret admirer; even a straight written love confession wasn’t obvious enough to pierce my cloak of ignorance and cynicism ☹️. I’d hazard to say that even if someone literally confessed to my face, I’d first ask them if they were pulling my leg followed by asking them if they were sure about it.

• Like 5
ExquisiteMystery
4 hours ago, Laplace said:

I remember one time in high school that I found someone had wrote “I love you” in small letters on a page in my binder. I guess it really speaks volumes about my trust issues cause I immediately assumed it was at best a prank by one of my friends and at worst a cruel joke meant to raise my hopes and crush them

Yes! Substituting middle school and notebook. Totally had the same reaction to it, too.

20 hours ago, Laplace said:

I remember one time in high school that I found someone had wrote “I love you” in small letters on a page in my binder. I guess it really speaks volumes about my trust issues cause I immediately assumed it was at best a prank by one of my friends and at worst a cruel joke meant to raise my hopes and crush them I realized there would be no payoff. Sorry secret admirer; even a straight written love confession wasn’t obvious enough to pierce the my cloak of ignorance and cynicism ☹️. I’d hazard to say that even if someone literally confessed to my face, I’d first ask them if they were pulling my leg followed by asking them if they were sure about it.

I had a similar experience, but, it was someone saying it to my face.  Still had a similar reaction.  Though, I think I was justified since I was one of the nerds, and she was one of the blonde cheerleader types, and her friend did something similar to one of my friends.

• Like 1
nerdperson777
7 hours ago, Rosoideae said:

I was looking at art from Norman Rockwell with one of my friends and came across this picture. 

https://goo.gl/images/zRQWGf

Me: I’m the dog

Her: That’s so sad

Me: What? No...??

Meanwhile, me:

Spoiler

d5PZoRs.jpg

• Like 2
On 5/21/2018 at 5:16 AM, Zash said:

I had a similar experience, but, it was someone saying it to my face.  Still had a similar reaction.  Though, I think I was justified since I was one of the nerds, and she was one of the blonde cheerleader types, and her friend did something similar to one of my friends.

I had a girl who was the really social partying type in college who enjoyed pestering me try to hug me in college and press her chest up against me while I was doing homework in my room. I kinda brushed it off like it was annoying (which it was cause I was trying to work) cause I assumed it was meant to provoke a reaction since I was serious all the time and there were people around at the time. It didn’t strike me until much later (even after the girl drunkenly knocked on my door at midnight asking to stay until she sobered up among other things) that it may have been more serious than I thought. I wouldn’t have gotten involved with them anyways (they were a bit obnoxious and out of control), but I just seem to instantly assume the worst about people sometimes 😓.

• Like 1
hey_it's_me

This was in primary school... 

Friend: Who do you like?

Me: *looks off in the distance*

Other friend: I like ____

Other other friend: I like ____

Friend: *to me* who do you like?

Me: No one

Other friend: But who do you really like

Me: Like I said no one

That's how most conversations about this would go or in 'Truth or Dare' (which I avoid now)

• Like 2
hey_it's_me

I just remember there was a better Aromantic moment

Dad: That's ace

Me: you know there are different things on what that can mean

Dad: ok

Me: I am the ace (I am hinting)

Mum: Well I am the queen

Note: I have not came out yet

• Like 4
nerdperson777

Not really aro, but I remember a short story a high school teacher told me.  She studied French in high school.  She tried to sweet talk her husband.

Her: *something* mi-amore.  (Something about I love you.)

Husband: Shut the door?

That's so romantic isn't it? /s

• Like 1
On 5/23/2018 at 4:48 PM, hey_it's_me said:

That's how most conversations about this would go or in 'Truth or Dare' (which I avoid now)

I've never played truth or dare, but I want to sometimes just try to, just to see people's reactions to my answers.

On 5/22/2018 at 5:27 AM, nerdperson777 said:

Meanwhile, me:

Hide contents

d5PZoRs.jpg

Both of these are me.

On 5/20/2018 at 12:52 AM, Miss A said:

Turns out my friend had been flirting with me for YEARS, and I had NO IDEA AT ALL.  But part of me wondered, why would you keep trying that long?

So, yep, oblivious.

Apparently this guy in my math class (I've had the same math class from 6th to 9th grade) has been flirting with me from 8th to 9h grade, and my friend when I told her about a couple of incidents had to point it out to me. I'm so smart.

• Like 2
ExquisiteMystery
31 minutes ago, Miss Who said:

Apparently this guy in my math class (I've had the same math class from 6th to 9th grade) has been flirting with me from 8th to 9h grade, and my friend when I told her about a couple of incidents had to point it out to me

I have been recently told that many romantic people, also do not notice flirting. But I think aromantics may be extra oblivious. And I don't know about you, but I was kind of insulted/angry/mad at my friend. Like she had been using false pretenses. If she had just asked, or spoken directly we could have saved time, and I wouldn't now be wondering if her attention was only given because she wanted something from me. (Yep, still kind of angry).

On 5/25/2018 at 10:24 PM, Miss A said:

I have been recently told that many romantic people, also do not notice flirting. But I think aromantics may be extra oblivious.

Trust me, I'm a demi-heteromantic, and I'm probably just as oblivious as aromantics

I was having dinner with one of my friends - she's never allowed order a full dessert, and i love the brownie sundae but can never finish it, so we order one and split it. when the waiter came over and I asked for a brownie sundae with two spoons and she looked at us oddly I didn't really think of it, but looking back we must have looked like a couple on a date! I once also ordered a milkshake with two straws, as my friend had no money and I could only afford one milkshake, and that time my friend actually said to me 'what is this a date' and we both laughed - but of course she still had most of the milkshake!

I only ever think of these things after....

• Like 2

So sharing dessert is a typical thing done by couples? 

...how odd.

• Like 3
nerdperson777
1 hour ago, waddiwasi said:

So sharing dessert is a typical thing done by couples? 

...how odd.

Couples have to share only with each other, that weird two halves to make whole thing. You could share with friends and family too but society deems those less worthy than the couple share. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, nerdperson777 said:

Couples have to share only with each other, that weird two halves to make whole thing. You could share with friends and family too but society deems those less worthy than the couple share. 

Ah, I see!

And here I thought couples were less hungry for some reason 😁

• Like 1
nerdperson777
55 minutes ago, waddiwasi said:

Ah, I see!

And here I thought couples were less hungry for some reason 😁

Or "I'm willing to share my food, which has my saliva in it, with someone I trust".  I think this is funnier.  Yet my mom doesn't like anyone's saliva most of the time.  She labels her own water bottle in our personal fridge.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, nerdperson777 said:

Or "I'm willing to share my food, which has my saliva in it, with someone I trust".  I think this is funnier.  Yet my mom doesn't like anyone's saliva most of the time.  She labels her own water bottle in our personal fridge.

I suspect that's less about the saliva itself and more about the germs.

Anyway, I suppose that wouldn't matter for (most) couples since they already exchange saliva on a regular basis.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, waddiwasi said:

Anyway, I suppose that wouldn't matter for (most) couples since they already exchange saliva on a regular basis.

This is the kind of thing we all just kind of forgot about 😂

• Like 6
On 5/29/2018 at 8:33 PM, Rosoideae said:

This is the kind of thing we all just kind of forgot about 😂

... Or at least try desperately to.

• Like 1

My brother told me about how he had kissed two of his ex-girlfriends right after they had eaten and how disgusting it is. Haha.

My ex-boyfriend had some tooth decay and I think that's maybe why his mouth tasted so bad.

On 5/29/2018 at 8:47 AM, nerdperson777 said:

You could share with friends and family too but society deems those less worthy than the couple share. 

Honestly, I share food with anybody. Even my enemy that's slowly morphing into a frenemy.

• Like 1