Incredible Aromantic Moments (other romantic orientations invited)

radicalonion

The only moment I ever experienced was after I heard about how these two guys in uni got crushes on me (note that I was still kinda hanging out with said two guys), I never talked to them ever again. I ignore them, avoid their questions most of the time and just all out hate them in hopes they would drop those feelings.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Saw everyone talking about valentines day, had to check in wikipedia to know which day it actually is. *clueless*

Since it's a chocolate hype day, I might dedicate some sweets to myself and my family. Chocolate is such an interesting and complex thing to do! Remembers me of steel and all those complex cooling properties and how delicate those two are to temperature, phase segregation, and so on.

At times like these I start wondering if I should or should not elaborate aromantic jokes and puns around facebook and so on... Specially since lots of people will spend tons of money buying all sort of complex gifts and start posting all those images making fun or drama about romantic relationships, and make me feel glad I'm aromantic :ph34r:. What do you guys think?

#MakingChocolatesToME! #TheIdealAroJokeTime

• Like 3
A lone Tyranid

On valentines day I actively wish people NOT to give me cards. Gotta keep the record going...

• Like 2

Reading a relationship advice blog ... for advice for an RPG character I play.

That is... A really good idea. Thanks! To the intertubes!

• 2 weeks later...
The Once-ler

Well, I've got a few...

(I had recently turned down a guy who asked me out.)

Me: "So you'll never guess what happened today."

Younger brother: "So-and-so asked you out?"

Me: "What? How--how long have you known he liked me?"

Younger brother: "About six months. What did you say?"

Me: "No...?"

Younger brother: "...You know nothing about romance."

Another time I was playing Truth or Dare.

Friend: "Who are you deeply in love with?"

Me: "Uh, my trumpet?"

(Friend gives me concerned look.)

Me: "I've decided that when I grow up, I'm going to live in a house full of dogs, cats, rats, pigs, and have a donkey."

Friend: "What about your future partner?"

Me: "Don't ruin my fantasy!"

I probably have more, I'm just really tired and can't think.

• Like 15

Reading a relationship advice blog ... for advice for an RPG character I play.

I was just reading a guide to flirting... Because I suspect a guy I know has a crush on me and I want to know what flirting signals to avoid so I don't accidently make it worse.

• Like 3

Also look up signal of disinterest. Stuff like minimal eye contact, keeping your hands out of your hair, don't lean towards the person (or lean away if possible), short, crisp answers, keep your body not pointing at them (basically turn your head towards them to talk, but, keep body pointed away, sorta like you could dash away at any moment), those sort of things.

However, these things are more effective on first contact with a person (say, at a bar or something), and may not work long term.

• Like 5
TheStarrySkai

I'm not aromantic, but I have my moments....

I often hang out with these three friends of mine. Two of them have crushes, one of them is apparently dating someone. 70% of the conversation is about their crushes. One of them spends a rather large amount of time fanboying over his multiple crushes and how he'll never see them again since its summer time and one of his crushes is graduating.

I spend a lot of my time towards the side not knowing what to say. I have this platonic crush type thing going on, but I obviously don't think about it as much as my friends do so I never mention it.

• Like 3

Also look up signal of disinterest. Stuff like minimal eye contact, keeping your hands out of your hair, don't lean towards the person (or lean away if possible), short, crisp answers, keep your body not pointing at them (basically turn your head towards them to talk, but, keep body pointed away, sorta like you could dash away at any moment), those sort of things.

However, these things are more effective on first contact with a person (say, at a bar or something), and may not work long term.

I also found that online as well. Its hard because I'm a naturally friendly person, and a lot of the things I do without even thing about like making eye contact while talking or whatever are apparently signs of flirting.

• Like 2
Sockstealingnome

I also found that online as well. Its hard because I'm a naturally friendly person, and a lot of the things I do without even thing about like making eye contact while talking or whatever are apparently signs of flirting.

Well making eye contact with people you're talking to is just common courtesy. Friendly body language overlaps a bit with flirty body language.

My awkward moments sound a lot like many people who have already posted. It's nice to know I'm not the only person who has no clue, or cannot recognize when they are being flirted with. Just a few weeks ago, I attended a dinner with a friend of mine. She introduced me to many people that evening. One gentleman in particular came and sat with us during the evening and spoke with me quite a bit. I just think he's really friendly and I'm being friendly right back.

My friend: "Oh he really likes you"

Me: What?

Her: "He can't keep his eyes off of you!"

Me: "oh."

Awkward silence the remainder of the evening.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
TheKindredSoul

"Do you like boys?"

"No."

"How about girls?"

"No."

"Do you like objects then?"

"No."

"What is your type?"

"I do not care."

"Is your type just that rare to find?"

"My type does not exist."

"Aw! Why are you so heartless?"

"It is not my fault I have to be such a heartbreaker!"

• Like 12

What kind of sane person doesn't want to have children to continue their lineage?

Me: Me. Besides, I don't want to bring more children into the world when there's so many in need of help (since they are living in poverty.)

• Like 12
Certified Cake Decorator

Me at 13:

Mom: do you have any crushes?

Me: no, but if i did i would only date them intellectually. Like, we'd hang out and discuss math and stuff.

Mom: ............

• Like 28

me: ordering a drink at the bar

man: came up beside me standing sideways with his elbow on the bar facing me and said "Hi"

me: I turned my head and looked at him and said "Hi", then turned the other way and left.

I did not notice he was trying to pick me up.

• Like 6

me: ordering a drink at the bar

men: came up beside me standing sideways with his elbow on the bar facing me and said "Hi"

me: I turned my head and looked at him and said "Hi", then turned the other way and left.

I did not notice he was trying to pick me up.

me+ bar : cage dancer lol

me. "Smiles"

person: HI

me plays hard to get

person: leave

me heart broken

Back when I was a kid, I used to bail out of the room when watching the big romantic numbers in Disney movies (like I Can Show You The World from Aladdin, or Can You Feel The Love Tonight from The Lion King). I would fast forward (good ol' VHS) or take a bathrrom break if someone else was watching the movie too. (I was around 10 or so at the time) I just found those songs so BORING, and didn't understand what anyone saw in them. Loved the rest of the soundtracks though.

• Like 6

The biggest aromantic moments I have are any time romance is "in the air" so to speak whether it's people discussing romantic partners or I'm watching a romantic movie. I just roll my eyes and wait for the subject to change or the cool part to happen. It just makes me feel weird and awkward. I'm just like, "Uh, yeah, I don't get romance, so I'm gonna just think about Orphan Black in my corner, while you guys gush about mushy stuff..."

• Like 8

Not realizing until you're in college that the majority of the girls that you know at one time when they were little had either stolen their brother's army guys/action figures to marry off their dolls to, had coupled-up their stuffed animals, had held mock-weddings with the neighbor boys, or had dressed up as a bride using a white pillowcase as a veil. Finding out that this was an Actual Thing That Happens and not just something they put in romance movies baffles you to no end.

Wait, that actually does happen? My sister never tried any of that crap... Though she was a little badass tomboy, so maybe it wasn't her thing. Though the other girls who lived on my street when I was a kid never did anything like that that I was aware of. I could have just been clueless though.

• Like 3

The biggest aromantic moments I have are any time romance is "in the air" so to speak whether it's people discussing romantic partners or I'm watching a romantic movie. I just roll my eyes and wait for the subject to change or the cool part to happen. It just makes me feel weird and awkward. I'm just like, "Uh, yeah, I don't get romance, so I'm gonna just think about Orphan Black in my corner, while you guys gush about mushy stuff..."

Orphan Black is awesome, but don't ever try to discuss it with someone else because they will inevitably talk about their ships as if the whole show revolved around that.

My biggest aro moment recently happened while discussing Sherlock on tumblr. Apparently I am unable to see this romantic subtext everyone else sees...

• Like 5

When my father explain to me that f you ask somebody out and they refuse, that could break a friendship...

• Like 5

Every freaking weekend I come home from college my mom and I have pretty much the same conversation...

a month ago:

mom: "So, seen any interesting guys lately?"

me: "Sure, there's this one who likes almost all the same books..."

mom: "But, you KNOW, in THAT way"

me: "I know, and NO"

two weeks ago:

me: "Mom. You know you WILL be the first one to know if that miracle happens."

mom: "What miracle? Do you think it has to feel so miraculous? Seriously, you're just expecting way too much from it!"

me: O_O "...I feel like you're misunderstanding me on purpose"

last week:

me: *glares*

mom: "What?"

me: "One of these days I just won't know what to say to you anymore"

mom: "But! You should like guys! Don't you want a family? Of course you do!"

me: "..."

And yes, she does know about the aro ace thing. Apparently, she's not willing to get it. I just wanted to write this since it's been annoying me lately. She's began to ask way more often than she did like, about a year ago...

• Like 19
  • 2 weeks later...

Back when I was a kid, I used to bail out of the room when watching the big romantic numbers in Disney movies (like I Can Show You The World from Aladdin, or Can You Feel The Love Tonight from The Lion King). I would fast forward (good ol' VHS) or take a bathrrom break if someone else was watching the movie too. (I was around 10 or so at the time) I just found those songs so BORING, and didn't understand what anyone saw in them. Loved the rest of the soundtracks though.

I have kind of the same thing with all those romantic comedy type movies that are around. The typical moment when they realise they both like each other or embarrass themselves or something like that and most other people love those moments and think that they are `so cute' and everything, and I always try to plan bathroom breaks/making more tea/anything else at that point in the film because to me it is strange and more uncomfortable than anything else really.

• Like 4
butterflydreams

This is such an enlightening thread! I don't actually know if I'm aromantic, but I certainly have had a number of aromantic-ish moments.

Certainly my entire friendship with my female friend was always an issue for basically everyone in my life except her and me.

Or any of the initial friends I made in college:

Me: "Yeah, so I just got back from helping this girl in my calc class"

Mom: "Ohh, do you like her?"
Me: " :blink: what? No, she's just bad at calc."

Or this gem...

Walking around on the phone with my friend from home. I run into a few girls from class that I was friendly with. Stop talking for a second to say hello, and my friend starts asking "oooo, who you talking to? Is she cute?" I got a little mad at that, so I take the phone, give it to one of the girls, I hear her say, "yup, uh huh. No...uh...no?" Then she hands it back to me and I ask, what did he say? She goes, "he tried to order an 8 ball"

• Like 7