Incredible Aromantic Moments (other romantic orientations invited)

A Taste of Harmony

I wrote this in the incredible ace moments thread a while back, but is definitely an aro moment:

I was thinking the other day about this time I was at some fair as a kid (6ish?) and I went to see a "psychic." Well, she started telling me stuff that I guess most little girls want to hear: that I was going to marry my true love, and he would be very handsome, etc. And I was like...That's it? Nothing about whether I'll be a famous author, or go travelling, or make a difference in the world? The most interesting thing you can tell me about my future is that I'm going to get MARRIED?

As well as fearing that the fact that the only thing she could see in her crystal ball worth talking about was some guy meant my life would be hopelessly boring, I was pretty terrified by the idea that me getting a husband was pre-ordained and unavoidable. I remember picturing this mysterious guy, hidden in shadow, COMING for me--probably the image most people get when they think of a serial killer as apposed to a future life partner lol.

My(?) fortune teller did a reading for me once. I wasn't at the place. Somebody else did it for me.

And they did the exact opposite reading for me compare to yours. :d

The fortune teller kind of didn't like the reading that came out and suggested to do otherwise and gave me a 'spell'. :D :D

I told this incident to my friends and family member and they've been using the 'spell' for me ever since, very intensively. hehe :)

I'm not worried, if the spell works then I might get married and it's fine, and if I stay as I am now forever then it's fine, too.

I just feel loved and cared when they use that 'spell' for me. The good intention, that's enough for me. :wub:

• Like 2

You know when you break up with someone and someone else says "I'm so sorry" and your like "Why what you do?" and there like ".no...because you broke up.." and your like "oh no I broke up with them" and their like "I know its still hard on you though, I'm here if you need to talk" and your just "..." until their "its so sad things didn't work out" and your just "how is that sad?" and they look at you like your an alien tring to understand why the people with metal boxes to their ears are talking....yeh...#aromoment

A friend follows on without missing a beat, from our conversation about our repective break-ups within the last week to the question "So who do you fancy?" and you think its a joke. So you laugh. And then there's silence. and then..."well?" and you realise its not a joke and are like "umm...no one?" and they just say "no really" and then you repeat that at least four times before they declare you weird. #aromoment

Wakes up after having nightmare where in I was married and pregnant. Tells nightmare later to friend, they shudder at the thought of it "That must have been terrible" they empathise. Other friend walks over "Hey guys what you talking about" *first friend reiterates dream* second friend "Really! Oh thats so AMAZING! Who were you married to was he hot?! You would have the cutest BABIES!!!!" Me "..." First Friend "..." #synchronisedaromoment

• Like 24

One time I had a dream where I had a boyfriend. He tried to kiss me and hug me and hold my hand. I ended up jumping into a sea and swimming across it until I found Katara from AtLA and we trekked off to find the Avatar together. I haven't even watched that show in five years, and when I did see it I didn't care for it much, and yet that was a lot more fun to me than somebody telling me he loved me and trying to be affectionate. #AroDreamMoments

• Like 34

I have had sooo many aromantic moments. One stands out. I was at coffe shop and someone sent a drink my way. I thought it was a server (I was a regular there) so drank it and left. Occured to me later it was probably another romantically interested customer. I didnt even ask who it was from. Maybe better I didnt.

• Like 23

Not exactly sure if this counts but years ago while I was lunging one of the quarter horses in the arena, my boss told me my smooching was really horrible (You make a kissing like sound when you want the horse to lope). I asked her what she meant and she said that I should kiss to the horse like I would kiss my boyfriend. I looked at her funny and asked her why I would want to kiss my (non existent) boyfriend...She gave me a funny look.

• Like 15
Sockstealingnome

Today in class the instructor was talking to two other students and me.

Instructor: I've been married for ten years.

Classmate #1: Me too!

Instructor: That's a long time except it doesn't feel long. Well, I mean it is but at the same time it feels like you only met yesterday, you know?"

Classmate #1 and #2 both nod in agreement. My face...

wait-in-car.gif

• Like 20
Mademoiselle Pink

I coulnd't think of anything specific although there are many moments when people talk about relationship and love and turn to me saying "right??" and I just smile and nod but have no idea! XD

OP reminded me of when I was playing Fire Emblem: Awakening: you can pair off all the male and female characters, they have a kid and then the kid turns into a playable character which you can in turn pair off with another kid. (FIY they're grown up!) ^^;

Anyway I was super involved in the pairing of the first characters and spent waaaayyy too much time pondering which couple was the best match in order to get the best or most interesting kid and was talking to my friend who played the game constantly. Once I was done pairing all the "parents" he asked what I was going to do for pairing for the kids. I said "What's the point? Pairing them doesn't do anything. They don't have playable characters kids if I pair them" My friend was bewildered. ^^;;

• Like 12

Sorry I thought of more :D

Me and two friends are walking down the street talking about looks and they begin to make me feel very uncomfortable by combining compliments with suggestions of how I should look. Things like "Your hairs so pretty, u should wear it down more." me being like. "...but if I wanted to wouldn't I already? I don't understand what r saying? How could u know what feels most comfortable for my head?" totally not getting it. Anyway one of my friends gets all excited at the idea of doing my make-up and hair, (because I'm apparently some sort of doll to dress up) I agree to make her happy cos u'know who cares. Then this moment follows;

Friend: Oh! We should do it for you and Coreys next date

Me: Why?

Friend: Because he'll like that. He'll like you doll up for him

Me: ... (wonder if that was meant to be an answer to the question why?) why would it matter if he likes it?

Friend: Because he's your boyfriend!

Me: ................................... (pause).................(pause)................ ...so?

Tries to wrap my head around idea that being in a relationship meant wanting to do things to make other half happy, failed to comprehend it, decided my friend has a weird view of relationships. #aromoment

• Like 16

I coulnd't think of anything specific although there are many moments when people talk about relationship and love and turn to me saying "right??" and I just smile and nod but have no idea! XD

OP reminded me of when I was playing Fire Emblem: Awakening: you can pair off all the male and female characters, they have a kid and then the kid turns into a playable character which you can in turn pair off with another kid. (FIY they're grown up!) ^^;

Anyway I was super involved in the pairing of the first characters and spent waaaayyy too much time pondering which couple was the best match in order to get the best or most interesting kid and was talking to my friend who played the game constantly. Once I was done pairing all the "parents" he asked what I was going to do for pairing for the kids. I said "What's the point? Pairing them doesn't do anything. They don't have playable characters kids if I pair them" My friend was bewildered. ^^;;

I guess things get more interesting playing "The Sims". Since the characters that represent me in the game are strictly forbidden of getting in relationships. xDDD

And if things go out of my control, cheats and killing start :ph34r: *let the pool or door-less room games begin*. It was fun, but also gets boring very fast.

I didn't liked the sims 2 that much because of the aging mechanism, that somehow forces you to have kids. Then i decided to populate the entire district with the same family (gave up on the fourth house, decorating the house was way more fun than dealing with the sims). And sometimes used cheats to make the child appear or to make the players be abducted by aliens, but since the alien kids are very ugly, it wasn't that cool. I guess it's an aromantic/loner thing that i could play minecraft for hours and hours and days and days without getting bored and without mods, but can't do the same with the sims, even exploiting the game, killing npcs, and etc.

• Like 4
Mezzo Forte

I'm sure that I've mentioned it in once of the ace moments/problems threads, but I often joke that getting my doctorate in music (which will either be a DMA or phD depending on the specialization) will be the equivalent of marrying my work, because my title will change in the process (however, I'll just become "Dr." instead of "Mrs.") and because it's yet another way of me declaring my eternal love for music.

The last time I said something like that aloud, everyone told me that it was super depressing and not to worry because "You'll find a man someday."

I'm also quick to decry a romantic partner as "an annoying distraction that would force me to take time away from playing marimba just to satisfy some social requirement", and yet nobody seems to react quite so strongly to that. I think that I give off strong enough vibes that people get that I am too immersed in my music to bother with a romantic partner, so nobody questions my lack of romantic activity at all :P

EDIT: I just remembered another one: almost forgetting that Valentines Day is a romantic holiday because you're too busy anticipating the February 15th plummet in chocolate prices to notice.

• Like 24

Ahh... The Sims... It took me an embarrassing amount of time before I figured out the game could go longer than on generation.

And then a friend of mine said she ran a game through 26 generations. First one's name started with A, than the next 'head' family started with B, and so on. If the family had more than one kid, than the first carried on as her focus, and then just let it keep going. She named the last generation 'Zash' just because it was the end, and that character wasn't going to continue.

• Like 9

Standing around in a group of far-too-bored friends one day. Some smartalec says, "Hey, someone say something totally random." With no hesitation, one individual who frequently flirted with me screams at the top of her lungs, "PROKHOROV, I LOVE YOU!!!"

My only response? Uncontrolled laughter. Felt horrible, but it was the only thing that came to me...

• Like 10

Me: *Sees Camaro/Corvette/Mustang/etc.* "That car is hot".

Friend: "You have a car fetish?"

Me: "Car fetish?"

Friend: "Yeah, the car turns you on?"

Me: "Huh, what? No, it's a nice car."

^(Maybe that belongs more in asexual moments instead. Oops.)

While at a bar:

Guy: "Can I buy you a drink?"

Me: "No thanks, I'm not thirsty right now."

One time my friend, who I didn't know at the time was attracted to me, asked me if I wanted to go out with him. And my response was something like. "Uh, okay, I'm going to the grocery store today. Wanna come with?" XD

• Like 30
Manic Pixie Dream Nerd

Instructor: That's a long time except it doesn't feel long. Well, I mean it is but at the same time it feels like you only met yesterday, you know?"

wait-in-car.gif

Let me get this straight. Your instructor feels like they only met their spouse yesterday? And is that supposed to be a good thing? Like, "Oh yeah, I love you, person I met 24 hours ago!" Heheheheheh.

I've got one from a few months ago. Two girls I know in my gym class who were talking about the actors who they thought were "hot," and so I asked about Robert Downey Jr. (Long story– at the time I was having a lot of trouble figuring out why my mom kept calling him "cute") One girl got all grossed out and said "Ewww, he's waaaaay too old to judge! You shouldn't date anyone who's older than your parents!" so I stood there wondering what that had to do with anything. :blink:

• Like 3
Sockstealingnome

wait-in-car.gif

Let me get this straight. Your instructor feels like they only met their spouse yesterday? And is that supposed to be a good thing? Like, "Oh yeah, I love you, person I met 24 hours ago!" Heheheheheh.

I didn't quite understand what was being said myself. I was too busy shouting, "I'm never getting married! NEVER!"

• Like 9

In sixth grade, one of my closest guy friends took me to the side one reason and asked me to be his girlfriend. I didn't say one word to him for weeks because I was so unsure of what to answer with.

• Like 7
A lone Tyranid

Freind: If the hottest girl in the class asked you out after school today, what would you say?"

Me: But I've almost unlocked Active radar missiles for the stealth jet in battlefield! Then I can fly around in air superiority and not die every ten seconds!"

Freind: But the hottest girl in class asked you out! What would you say?"

Me: Weren't you listening! Active radar! Thats the last upgrade! I will have completed every vehicle but the Attack chopper and attack jet!

To me, its more important to have a completed vehicle in battlefield 4 rather then a date.

BTW: I don't actually use active radar missile. I prefer laser guided missiles. Just for all you battlefield fans.

• Like 9
Another One

Here are some of my typical aromantic dialogs:

My female friend: Haven't you noticed this guy was flirting with you?

Me: OMG no!

Friend: But he's been trying to flirt with you for the last two months!

Another female friend: How could you miss he was flirting with me and interrupt us?

Me: I'm so sorry... Maybe I was too tired and didn't catch...

Friend: I'd catch such obvious flirting even if I was totally asleep!

Him ( :wub: ): What are you thinking about?

Me: Thermodynamics.

Him: :blink:

• Like 23
Mezzo Forte

As I recently noticed in another thread, the only dating sim game that I ever played is Hatoful Boyfriend, which I picked up solely because it looked so bizarre and hilarious in a nonsensical way. Even then, I spent more time watching my sis and friend run through it than actually playing it myself.

I guess that technically, the social sim parts of Persona 3 and 4 have some dating sim elements, though that's not really what I focused on. I remember that one time, I think I forgot to save in Persona 4 and lost some progress. Making up lost ground, I was speed-clicking through the social sim stuff, because it was near the end of the game anyway, and My character somehow ended up in like three different romantic relationships thanks to that. All the while, I was thinking "come on, seriously? How was this even possible this late into the game!?!"

• Like 6

During easter, some family folks were commenting on the dishes i made, specially the lemon pie.

Family member 1: "Hey this pie is great! Now you can marry someone" (common joke, that only people who cook can marry [usually targeted at females though])
Family member 2: "Nah, i guess he learned to how make it himself just to be able to live alone, with his cat perhaps."
Me: "Exactly! Except for the cat, wouldn't have even that around, too much hassle." :lol:
*laughs*.

[some of them know and accept me as an aro/ace]

• Like 12

I met up with two new friends recently. Turns out two of us are not interested in dating, marrying, or having kids which ensued in many jokes about "ball and chain" and not being able to understand why the other girl is worried about if she'll get married late because of her goal to be a doctor. We were nice about it, of course, just teased her a little ^_^

• Like 4

*me almost every time this happens*

Person: "I really like you"

Me: *runs and hides*

More recently, while sitting on a couch with my current boyfriend, he started to snuggle me and (i guess) try to eskimo kiss me or something?

Me: "What are you doing?? Why are you trying to rub your nose on me?"

• Like 4
Novel Person

I'm sure there are a whole bunch of moments, and I can think of several but I'm too tired to condense them properly. Instead here's a moment I put in the ace thread that really is more of an aro moment!

In high school I had a friend who told me about a dream that he had about me. Apparently I was dating a younger guy (who was a sometimes member of our group) but we "weren't really dating" and "just hung out and said [we] were dating." I objected strongly to this at the time since I didn't care for the boy. But now that sounds like the perfect relationship, though it's not like I objected to the relationship at the time either, just the guy. I wonder if I set off some sort of unconscious [aro]-dar?
  • Like 3

*me almost every time this happens*

Person: "I really like you"

Me: *runs and hides*

^ This.

Bonus points if you find any furniture to hide under. And if you sill run and hide even if they do not deliver the message in person (text message, phone call, that sort of thing).

• Like 9
Ollie Mari

We're reading The Great Gatsby right now in my English class. My teacher keeps telling up to put ourselves in Gatsby's or Daisy's spot and keeps saying things like, "I'm sure we've all had a crush before." Needless to say, this Gatsby unit has been extremely hard for me to understand.

We're reading Romeo and Juliet in my ninth grade English class and I completely understand where you're coming from. *facepalm* Also, Shakespearian English can be annoying.

The other day, I heard my mother talking in the next room over about how much she wanted grandbabies. I really don't know what was going through my brain at the time, but I ran past her and shouted something to the extent of, "Just try to get someone to impregnate my ace seed". My mom thought I was completely joking and laughed for a solid five minutes... Probably for the best.

• Like 11
Sundance_

One of my aromantic moments:

When I was in my 20s, a male friend suddenly told me he loved me.

I replied, "Good for you."

This happened to me before, and the only response I could think of was, "That seems like a bad idea."

• Like 19
DarkDragonn

Before I even knew I was asexual, let alone aromantic, one of our supervisors during one of our school activities started talking to us about romance and dating and all that. Noticing I looked skeptical, he asked if I've ever been in love. After I said no, he made a bet with me- 250 dollars that I'll fall in love with someone by the end of senior year.

I think I'm going to try and collect the money next week. Let's hope he remembers and is willi to pay up. If I'm going to live an aromantic life I deserve this money at least.

• Like 39
Lambda Corvus

Apparently when a random coffee shop attendee says "you look a lot like someone I went to school with", that is flirting. The only response that came to mind was "Oh. Um. I'm sorry".

• Like 19