WorldPride 2014 March - Design suggestions and roles!

This month we are designing things that we will give out at the WorldPride 2014 march on 29 June!

This thread is for two purposes - to get suggestions for what kind of things we should hand out and to get volunteers to help with the designing! We will probably split off detailed discussions about the designs themselves to other threads. For example there is now a thread devoted to the informational pamphlet material we'll be giving out (http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/101099-pamphlet-information-and-design-suggestions/) and we will be shortly be making threads for further categories too (see below!).

So here's my preliminary list! (Note that being able to hand some of these out is dependent on our getting insurance, but at this point that's basically done and dusted, so you don't have to worry on that count.)

Others that are possible are "Asexuals-for-safe-sex" condoms and dental dams (but this depends on their regulations - it's not clear if branded condoms/dams are allowed; I am checking this right now) and balloons. Balloons are a nice idea but I hear there are environmental concerns (perhaps over wasting helium on them when helium has important medical and research usages?)

Anyway... questions for you!

• Is there anything you'd like to add (or remove!?) from the above list?
  • Would you be interested in helping to design any of the abovel Or even take the lead on designing it?
If the answer to either is yes, please make a post! In the case of 2, if you have a skype and are not in our group it would be great if you could pm a member of the Project Team and ask to be added.

Here are the roles we have assigned so far.

• Pamphlet design - amygdala leading, helpers: (?) aqua-ace and ith
  • T-shirt design - Mycroftisyourcroft leading, aqua-ace and Ith are helping
  • Stickers - amygdala leading
  • Business cards - aqua-ace leading
I should also make one thing clear. Leading a design project doesn't mean you will do all the design yourself. What I will suggest is you make a thread in this forum asking for suggestions and design ideas. You can even put together a team if that would help. You would then come up with a draft, and ask everyone here for opinions, until we're ready to go.

Questions or comments welcome, and happy designing!

Edited by Robin L
Links to threads

I thought I remember a thread somewhere where a member had mentioned making bracelets for WP. I'm not sure what kind of bracelets they were thinking of making (I know these can be anything from rubber to friendship bracelets to beaded bracelets) - but if I remember right I think beaded was what they were talking about. I also don't know what quantity would be needed or feasible, but since we now have a thread about this I figured I would mention that I remember seeing that somewhere.

EDIT: HERE is the post I remember seeing.

Thanks GreyelvenRanger! I added it.

Clubs yes you are right - they have to be Trojan. What I'm inquiring about is if we can stick our own message on top somehow.

You'd probably need to contact Ben Freeman at ben@pridetoronto.com to find that out.

Thanks yeah! Anyway the condoms/dams thing isn't critical. Any other suggestions? And any volunteers? :p

Design is *soooooo* far away from my strong points that it wouldn't be something I'd be a good candidate for even if I had the time to devote. But - I'd be happy to help with non-design things if I can swing them.

Mycroft is Yourcroft

I'm happy to help design T-shirts! Who do I contact?

Thanks yeah! Anyway the condoms/dams thing isn't critical. Any other suggestions? And any volunteers? :p

Condoms is the most critical! It is so many funny things you can do with it that is better than sex! You can make water-baloons that don't crack or take it over your head and blow air into it :)

I'm happy to help design T-shirts! Who do I contact?

I would suggest contacting michaeld the pink guy :)

If they don't allow you to stamp condoms they may be more willing to allow something like small samples of lube with a custom message on the packet. It's part of safe sex for many people, since it can prevent injury. And it would give the asexuals-can-be-sex-positive message as well as condoms. Probably fewer regulations for it, I would imagine. And is often handed out at pride events.

I know inter-project likeness wasn't explicitly mentioned here, though it was in the pamphlet design thread- to anyone designing anything with lettering or using ace-related colors (black/grey/white/purple) it may be advantageous to agree upon a font/font family and at least a standard purple hexcode so that the materials produced are cohesive. What do you guys think?

Thanks all for the suggestions and for volunteering! I've added names to the thread starter.

Any other suggestions? What is the verdict on balloons?

• 4 weeks later...
Qutenkuddly

I'm not cool with helium filled balloons for two reasons. Yes, there are concerns of depleting helium resources, but the other big one is the detrimental effects that balloons can have on animals that ingest their remnants, mistaking them for food. If we use regular air, then at least the balloons will stay where they're supposed if they break free.

• 9 years later...

(Below is an official, green, mod message.)

Hi, everyone. This event has finished.

So, it's being locked.

LeChat,

Welcome Lounge, Announcements, and Alternate Language moderator