My favorite story about Jesus

thylacine

My favorite story about Jesus is not from the Bible. It's actually a European folktale about how Jesus disguised Himself as a beggar to walk among the people and see how people would treat Him. Jesus goes around the village, knocking on doors, saying He is a poor beggar, and asks if he can have something to eat. Most people just slam the door on Him. I heard this story as a kid and even as a grown up I'd sometimes see street people who were asking for change and half sort of wonder if they might be Jesus... When you think of it, that is, if you believe in Jesus, then Jesus could be anybody...

Jesus could be the homeless person sleeping on a park bench. Jesus could be the old bag lady that wanders the neighborhood pushing a grocery cart filled with everything she owns. Jesus could be the kid in school that everyone beats up because he's not cool. Jesus could even be the stray dog that people throw rocks at. Jesus might be one of society's misfits that fundamentalist preachers blame for all of society's problems, also.

In the city where I work, there are a lot of homeless people. Sometimes I give them Dunkin Donuts gift cards, enough to buy coffee and a donut. They might buy drugs if I give them cash. There is also shuffling down the streets an elderly man with a bent over back and who drops his cane sometimes. He can't reach for it too well, so I pick it up for him, when I see him drop it. There is this other lady, she comes at me raving, "They took out my liver, now I can't have no babies! Can I have two dollars?" I gave her a dollar, and told her she could get the other dollar from someone else, because that's all I had with me then...

I dunno. Maybe some of those people are Jesus, too? Maybe if we look around, maybe we can see Jesus everywhere.

SorryNotSorry

Jesus might just as well be the apolitical radical who lays out very practical solutions to today's problems only to get mocked and scorned for it.

That sounds a lot like that story in Greek mythology with Baucis and Philemon. Zeus and Hermes disguise themselves as poor peasants and knock at people's doors to ask them if they can stay for the night, and everyone but Baucis and Philemon slams their door at the face of the God of thunder.

IDK I just like the story where he cursed a fig tree.

Just because the mental image always made me laugh.

I mean, the meaning of it makes sense, but still.

"DAMN YOU TREE."

I think that story is quite close to the truth. I've often been interested to see how people treat me when I am presenting as no-one of high social status. I prefer to use the name 'Yeshua', rather than 'Jesus' as that is what he was called when he walked the earth, or just Christ, but I believe 'God' takes a special interest in how the most vulnerable (including non-human animals) and marginalised are treated by others in society, and sides with them (meaning, after this life, those who are unkind or cruel will be held especially accountable in the spiritual dimension and future lives on earth). I think some people's destiny includes being sacrificial lambs, to test the spiritual development of others for 'God' - to lay a trap if you will. I also believe we all have the seed of 'God-potential' within us (except psychopaths), and come to earth (again and again) to learn lessons of empathy, to develop as spiritual beings, to where we no longer have to come back to this planet of cruelty and suffering any more. So in that sense, yes, 'God' is in everyone. The goal is to get closer and become God-like, not make choices that move us further away from things like truth, compassion, purity and justice. I think wherever you find people standing up for those things, you have experienced 'God'.

My favorite story is when he was on the cross, and someone came up to him and asked him what he had to say, and he looked out to a point in the distance and said, "Hey, I can see my house from here!"

I may say here: that persons who take jesus seriously. That they without shame, let their jesus ridicule creatures and other matters, who are dear to me for example. What about religion?

In fact, I dont like the way many, many persons have introduced me to their "jesus"

Jesus preached that we should love one another. Sadly this seems to be very hard for us to do. :( Respect is good too.

I was always very partial to the story retold in John 12:1-8. A short while before his death, Jesus visits Lazarus (the one he’d resurrected). After everybody’s had a good meal, Lazarus’ sister Mary washes Jesus’ feet in perfumed oil and dries them with her hair. The whole house is suffused with the sweet scent of the balm. But then, Judas Ischariot points out that for the price of that precious ointment, which was worth a good year’s wages, they could’ve helped the poor, so they should’ve sold it for the money instead. The fact that Judas is the purser of the group and a known thief is incidental. Jesus shoots him down by saying that Mary had kept the balm to anoint him for his funeral. Also, that the poor will be there always, but he’s not gonna.

I really like that one because, short as it is, it’s full of nice detail and rich in mood. There’s plenty of “death surrounds us” and impending doom, but also luxurious pleasure, good humor, and enduring affection which contribute to a true joie de vivre, even in the face of it all. A good story, seems to me.

One of my favorites has always been when he told the men who were going to stone the prostitute that whoever was without sin (missing the mark) could throw the first stone. None of of us are always on target in this life and judging others for it isn't the point...paying attention to our own behavior is.

I don't think the point of that story is what is sinful and what isn't. It's about not judging others.

I think now I recall the end of the story... Jesus disguises Himself as a beggar to go around the village to see how people would treat Him, and he went door to door, saying He was a poor beggar and could He have something to eat? The only one who did not slam the door in His face was a poor widow. She said she did not have much. He said she could share what little she had. So she let Him in, and went to the pantry expecting to find only a little bread, but when she opened it, the pantry was filled with wonderful food and all sorts of things. (Like, supposed to be a miracle, sort of... ) It's not a true story, probably a morality tale someone made up in medieval times, or something. A nice little story, that's all.

But I guess it means that Jesus could be anybody, and goes back to what He said, "Whatever you do, to the least of my brothers, that you do unto Me."

willnightshade

I like the one where he was a 14,000 year old disciple of Buddha. Not kidding. Actual, really good movie (not a comedy). There's also the one as told by his best friend, Biff.

Jesus had a friend named Biff ???

alpacaterpillar

Was it Biff the Understudy?

Was it Biff the Understudy?

Unfortunately for Biff, they shut the show down when Jesus died. Biff became a Starbucks barista.

I love the Gospel According to Biff and I highly suggest it for anybody who likes religious humor and learning. It's a hilarious story and it also shows how Christianity has some roots in other religions as well.

But anyway, my favorite Jesus story is the one where he, Moses and this old man were on a golf course...

Captain Darkhorse
But anyway, my favorite Jesus story is the one where he, Moses and this old man were on a golf course...

Hole #3 was supposed to have a water trap, but Jesus kind of screwed that up when he stepped on it with his ball. Moses thought Jesus was cheating and got pissed, so he set some of the bushes on fire. Then God had to speak through the burning bush to give them both a time-out. No one knows what happened to the old man.

Hole #3 was supposed to have a water trap, but Jesus kind of screwed that up when he stepped on it with his ball. Moses thought Jesus was cheating and got pissed, so he set some of the bushes on fire. Then God had to speak through the burning bush to give them both a time-out. No one knows what happened to the old man.

Actually Moses split the water, Jesus walked on the water, and the old man swung the ball into the water where a seagull took it and then put it in the hole and Jesus said "Dad stop showing off".

That's how I know it anyway

ratherdrinktea, on 06 Apr 2014 - 6:36 PM, said:
Captain Darkhorse, on 06 Apr 2014 - 5:57 PM, said:
ratherdrinktea, on 06 Apr 2014 - 5:43 PM, said:

Actually Moses split the water, Jesus walked on the water, and the old man swung the ball into the water where a seagull took it and then put it in the hole and Jesus said "Dad stop showing off".

That's how I know it anyway

Then Moses came back and said "Oy, would you guys stop fighting? You're worse than my Hebrews in the desert complaining about the food."

PetitFourThoughts

One of my favorites has always been when he told the men who were going to stone the prostitute that whoever was without sin (missing the mark) could throw the first stone. None of of us are always on target in this life and judging others for it isn't the point...paying attention to our own behavior is.

I don't think the point of that story is what is sinful and what isn't. It's about not judging others.

I like this one as well, mostly because of his attitude during the story, he's completely contemptuous of the idea that they have the right to judge the woman and is basically ignoring everyone and drawing a picture in the dust while they all slowly give up and leave feeling very uncomfortable about themselves.

I also like the one from the gospel of Thomas where Peter objects to Mary Magdalen following Jesus on the basis that women should be at home cooking, and having babies and Jesus basically tells Peter to stuff a sandal in it.

Great story, but have you read the rest?

liberal+jesus.jpg

I must say I am surprised that Jesus wanted class war, opposition to religion and wanting free health care.

liberal+jesus.jpg

I must say I am surprised that Jesus wanted class war, opposition to religion and wanting free health care.

Well, he told the rich they had to give all their money to the poor (Mark 10:21-22), said you should hide your religiosity (Matthew 6:1), and both healed people for free and taught others to do the same (many).

Great story, but have you read the rest?

Yes, that's why I emphasized what I believe is the main point of the story.

Archived