• A-
    • A+
    • B-
    • B+
    • AB-
    • AB+
    • I have no blood!/I don't know

This poll is closed to new votes

That's strange...I don't know how they test Rhesus factor. I do know that there is a simple way to test for ABO antigens. I've seen some chemically treated pieces of paper divided into four areas. You can prick your finger with a needle and touch each area. Depending on the coagulation patterns, one of them will be unique, and that will be your type. I have no idea where to find this, but it is certainly cheap and easy.

• 2 years later...

Reviving this thread just for fun. I'm A+. Like, A-Positive. You know, like the site? Yyyeah, I just realized that tonight. Thought it was fun. Because I'm a dork who takes far too long to realize things like this. <_<

Ironically I'm a universal donor. ^_^

(+3 for puns, since I'm anemic and also a universal receiver...technically)

:o blood types..now all we need are last names and we can officially stalk everyone who responded to these.

B+ BTW

A+. Besides having asexual blood, I think A people don't attract mosquitoes as much as other blood types. My friend who's an O gets bitten terribly and I've never had a bite.

I am A+ and I have been bitten so many zillions of times that I no longer get any reaction at the site of the bite.

I have heard that wearing the color blue will attract mosquitoes.

I am A+ and I have been bitten so many zillions of times that I no longer get any reaction at the site of the bite.

I have heard that wearing the color blue will attract mosquitoes.

Ha! I never wear blue!

A+. Besides having asexual blood, I think A people don't attract mosquitoes as much as other blood types. My friend who's an O gets bitten terribly and I've never had a bite.

Oh I totally agree! I don't think I've been bitten in 3 summers... yet all my friends douse themselves with bug spray and get eaten alive!

I'm O positive. How plain and boring. And those who didn't get the reference: universal donor is O-, universal recipient is AB+.

There's actually one blood type that's not in the poll, which is both the rarest and least well known - the Bombay type. Y'know how you get your blood type by the antigens (or lack of, in the case of O blood) that are stuck on the outside of your red blood cells? Well, they're stuck there by a special sugar. Bombay type is where that sugar is absent. Even if you're genetically an A, B or AB type, you'll appear as Bombay type because the sugar isn't there to stick the A/B antigens on. You would test as being an O type, even though you're not. It's why O- is technically not a universal donor at all - Bombay is. Bombay type can donate to any other, but can only receive itself as the A/B antigens and the sugar that holds them (and causes O type) is perceived as foreign. It's much the same as how O type perceives A and B type as foreign: when you have a lack of something, its presence is perceived as foreign and gets attacked.

Ooh, just my kind of thread. Did someone say blood? :twisted:

Everyone on here has such lovely blood types, may I have a taste? :twisted: One drop won't kill you!

My blood type is: Unknown 8)

Vampires don't reveal this sort of information to random strangers!

O+ (also CMV negative which apparently makes the blood useful for platelet donation, found that out the last time I gave blood).

I'm O positive. How plain and boring. And those who didn't get the reference: universal donor is O-, universal recipient is AB+.

There's actually one blood type that's not in the poll, which is both the rarest and least well known - the Bombay type. Y'know how you get your blood type by the antigens (or lack of, in the case of O blood) that are stuck on the outside of your red blood cells? Well, they're stuck there by a special sugar. Bombay type is where that sugar is absent. Even if you're genetically an A, B or AB type, you'll appear as Bombay type because the sugar isn't there to stick the A/B antigens on. You would test as being an O type, even though you're not. It's why O- is technically not a universal donor at all - Bombay is. Bombay type can donate to any other, but can only receive itself as the A/B antigens and the sugar that holds them (and causes O type) is perceived as foreign. It's much the same as how O type perceives A and B type as foreign: when you have a lack of something, its presence is perceived as foreign and gets attacked.

Wow. I actually understood that. Skenasis, you're a good xplainer.

Thanks, Sally. I like explaining random genetics stuff to people, so I guess I've had plenty of practice!

Purissimus...if you can get over here to Oz and are happy to turn me into a vampire at the same time, then feel free XD

Wow. I actually understood that. Skenasis, you're a good xplainer.

Good 'splainer indeed!! Thank you, Skenasis. Why is it called Bombay? Are there a number of people there or a genetic line there with this blood type?

You vampires might want to be circumspect about biting me. I cannot donate blood because I have had malaria. It was the most not-fun thing in my life I can not-quite-remember except between episodes of delirium. Otherwise, I am a friend to immortals and wouldn't mind sharing a drop. :)

osito...it's called Bombay type because it was discovered in Bombay. Yeah, I know, how original. And though it's more likely to run in families, it can quickly 'die out' in the family line. It's a recessive allele - you must get a copy of the Bombay allele from each parent to be of Bombay type. Kinda like how if you get an A allele from one parent and an O allele from the other, you're type A - and only type O if you get an O allele from each parent.

Without getting too technical but expanding on what I said before: there's one gene that controls whether you're genetically A, B or O. A and B are an alteration of the same antigen, and O is its absence. There is a second gene that controls the production of the sugar that the A and B antigens stick to (O type is caused by just the sugar on its own). Regardless of what allele you have in the A/B/O gene, if you have a mutation in the 'sugar' gene, then you don't produce the sugar and are Bombay type. That's why Bombay type people can only receive Bombay blood - they see the sugar in the same way that O types see the A and B antigens. And Bombay types test as being O type because the standard A/B/O test only looks for the A/B antigens, not the sugar that attaches them to the cell.

Sorry if I confuse anyone >.<

EDIT: Quick clarification: genes and alleles. A gene is something that affects a specific physical trait. An allele is the specific bit of DNA that you get from each parent. For example, you have an 'eye colour' gene. For this eye colour gene, there's an allele that gives you brown eyes and one that gives you blue eyes. You inherit one allele from each parent.

EDIT2: Okay, now I'm compelled to explain the two types of inheritance that come into play in the A/B/O gene and the 'sugar' gene.

The sugar one is easiest to explain, so I'll start with that. The two alleles, which I'll call Bombay and normal, are different 'strengths'. If you have two Bombay alleles, then you are Bombay type and what you have in the A/B/O gene doesn't matter, as it won't be expressed. If you have one Bombay allele and one normal allele, the normal allele is expressed and causes production of the sugar (in a way overpowering the Bombay allele that causes you to not produce the sugar), allowing the A/B/O gene to be expressed.

A/B/O gene. If you have two O alleles, then you're O type (because no antigens are produced to stick on the sugar). If you have one O allele and an A/B allele, then the A/B allele causes the production of the A/B antigen which gets stuck on the sugar, making you A/B type (again, 'overpowering' the O allele). If you have both the A and B alleles, then each allele causes the production of its specific antigen (because they're equally 'strong'). Since both antigens are produced, they intermittently get stuck on the sugars (one antigen per sugar), and you're AB type.

EDIT3: For those who work better by pictures, I've done a simplified image. The horizontal line is the surface of the red blood cell, and the vertical lines are just dividers.

bloodpt6.png

Purissimus...if you can get over here to Oz and are happy to turn me into a vampire at the same time, then feel free XD

Some vampires don't bite on the necks anymore, we just go for the arms now. So you'd like to be turned to a vampire? I can make the trip, no prob.

Great explanation. Understood everything. Interesting how I didn't know about this. Lots of biology classes, and the professors couldn't be bothered to mention this sort of thing during one of their lectures. Pity.

You vampires might want to be circumspect about biting me. I cannot donate blood because I have had malaria. It was the most not-fun thing in my life I can not-quite-remember except between episodes of delirium. Otherwise, I am a friend to immortals and wouldn't mind sharing a drop. :)

Sorry to hear you had malaria Osito.

Vampire friendly-mortal, I thank you for that drop of blood. Here's a piece of :cake: for you in return.

Some vampires don't bite on the necks anymore, we just go for the arms now. So you'd like to be turned to a vampire? I can make the trip, no prob.

Great explanation. Understood everything. Interesting how I didn't know about this. Lots of biology classes, and the professors couldn't be bothered to mention this sort of thing during one of their lectures. Pity.

It's definitely a pity that it doesn't get taught in high school biology. It's certainly not too complex, or beyond their realm of understanding. The more people that know about Bombay type, the better. If someone who's Bombay type had an accident and needed a transfusion, it's more than likely that there wouldn't be any stores of it to give them. It's kind of a double-edged sword, really.

If you're happy to make the trip, then wander on down. My tatts and piercings mean I haven't been able to donate blood thus far, so sadly I can't promise it's good quality. Still, feel free to try it and let me know.

Osito, sucks that you had malaria. I can definitely imagine that it wouldn't be any fun at all.

• 4 weeks later...

My dad's also type O and gets chewed to bits!

I'm B+ and have never been bitten. My brother and mum are the same type and I don't think they have been either, although I can't say for sure.

CombustibleAlgae

I always thought my blood type was AB-something, and I was kinda bummed, 'cause it's not that rare. Dx But it turns out that my mum has B+ and my dad has B-. Now I wish I has AB-something blood! But that's impossible...

Wonder what I do have though. xD

O positive- but have only donated blood once because now I've got insanely high blood pressure

B- here. I donate blood all the time. While I'd like to say it's because I'm a selfless humanitarian, they have pizza and cookies (good cookies, like peak frean/oreo/chips ahoy); and there's the ugly truth :lol:

Archived