Any articles of the Aspergers/Asexual connection?

As I am both, that was the part of the Asexual film that really jumped out at me. I've found forum threads, but is there any actual research papers/studies/articles, anyone has come across about the two being connected. The web seems to be nearly absent of any actual science behind the claims.

If I wash my car and it start to rain. It do not mean that my washing caused rain. It was a coincidence. Just like being asperger doesn't lead to asexuality - or the other way around. Contrary I can also claim that it is a connection between asexuality and non-autist spectrum - since most asexuals are afterall not on the autist spectrum.

It is all just coincidences and they are not related.

As I am both, that was the part of the Asexual film that really jumped out at me. I've found forum threads, but is there any actual research papers/studies/articles, anyone has come across about the two being connected. The web seems to be nearly absent of any actual science behind the claims.

If you can't find any substantive articles about a connection, that's a good indication that there's no definite causitive connection.

• Like 3

There's no science behind the claims because there's no science TO put behind them. There are people on the autistic spectrum who aren't asexual and most asexuals aren't on the spectrum. I could see where some people would think they'd found a reason for asexuality or something given people seem to have a hard time believing people could possibly not want sex, but it's really probably not related. Maybe it is for some individual people, I wouldn't know enough to say but overall I wouldn't think that it is.

• Like 1
Lord Happy Toast

I know of three articles about people with autism spectrum conditions that suggest a higher rate of asexuality than in the general population. Results are far from conclusive, and even if there really is a correlation, that still leaves the question of why there is a correlation.

Marriage, S., Wolverton, A., & Marriage, K. (2009). Autism spectrum disorder grown up: A chart review of adult

functioning. Journal of the Canadian Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 18, 322–328.

Ingudomnukul, E., Baron-Cohen, S., Wheelwright, S., & Knickmeyer, R. (2007). Elevated rates of testosterone-related

disorders in women with autism spectrum conditions. Hormones and behavior, 51, 597–604.

Gilmour, Laura; Melike Schalomona, and Veronica Smith. 2012. Sexuality in a community based sample of adults with autism spectrum disorder. Research in Autism Spectrum Disorders, 6. 313–318.

• Like 1

If I wash my car and it start to rain. It do not mean that my washing caused rain. It was a coincidence. Just like being asperger doesn't lead to asexuality - or the other way around.

I don't think the OP is asking if autism causes asexuality (that's ridiculous), but if he's correct in assuming that there is a comorbidity to be found. Like between Asperger's and AD(H)D, social phobia, depression... Also, there are many estimates showing a higher percentage of LGBT members on the autism spectrum. Compared to neurotypicals. I too get the impression that many Aspies are ace or gray, started to wonder a lot about it, myself.

OP, if you have not found this thread yet, it's well worth the read. Supports the theory, but the counter arguments are very realistic. In the last post, I have linked to other people with ASD (mostly Aspies) asking a similar question and getting responses:

http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/98523-how-many-people-here-have-aspergers/

• Like 1

I know of three articles about people with autism spectrum conditions that suggest a higher rate of asexuality than in the general population. Results are far from conclusive, and even if there really is a correlation, that still leaves the question of why there is a correlation.

Marriage, S., Wolverton, A., & Marriage, K. (2009). Autism spectrum disorder grown up: A chart review of adult

functioning. Journal of the Canadian Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 18, 322–328.

Ingudomnukul, E., Baron-Cohen, S., Wheelwright, S., & Knickmeyer, R. (2007). Elevated rates of testosterone-related

disorders in women with autism spectrum conditions. Hormones and behavior, 51, 597–604.

Gilmour, Laura; Melike Schalomona, and Veronica Smith. 2012. Sexuality in a community based sample of adults with autism spectrum disorder. Research in Autism Spectrum Disorders, 6. 313–318.

If I wash my car and it start to rain. It do not mean that my washing caused rain. It was a coincidence. Just like being asperger doesn't lead to asexuality - or the other way around.

I don't think the OP is asking if autism causes asexuality (that's ridiculous), but if he's correct in assuming that there is a comorbidity to be found. Like between Asperger's and AD(H)D, social phobia, depression... Also, there are many estimates showing a higher percentage of LGBT members on the autism spectrum. Compared to neurotypicals. I too get the impression that many Aspies are ace or gray, started to wonder a lot about it, myself.

OP, if you have not found this thread yet, it's well worth the read. Supports the theory, but the counter arguments are very realistic. In the last post, I have linked to other people with ASD (mostly Aspies) asking a similar question and getting responses:

http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/98523-how-many-people-here-have-aspergers/

Thanks for both of these.

Janus the Fox

Like said above, otherwise I think its still early to say there's a link considering asexuality is a more reasonably recent discovery. Time would tell if there's ever an interest to find a link.

Otherwise... Google Scholar comes up with a few things. So things are at least ongoing on the interlocking similarities between disability and asexuality, as one study in there describes it.

http://scholar.google.co.uk/scholar?hl=en&q=asexuality+%2B+autism+spectrum&btnG=&as_sdt=1%2C5&as_sdtp=

Thanks for the link, I will check it out later! I don't know whether you are one of us or not, so forgive me if I'm telling you something you already know. Asperger's and all other forms of Autism are part of the PDD group (Pervasive development disorder). Point is, and I know you mean absolutely no harm, the term disability is really not a proper one for us. Our brains are wired differently from neurotypical ones, but an Autist's brain is a healthy one and, medically, will not be seen as a "sick" neurotypical one. I can only speak for myself, but it would make me very angry to be called disabled by somebody else.

We could argue whether some traits of low functioning Autism are calling to be named a disability, but that is, in all honesty, territory which I don't want to enter. Many people find the simple use of high functioning and low functioning as descriptions of varying degrees of Autism offensive, but it is the truth of the matter. Autism is a spectrum, not a single thing, so people will find themselves in different places each and I personally think that these two terms simply are straight forward descriptions. Maybe I would see this differently if I stood somewhere else on the spectrum?! All I can say is that I never encountered such a discussion when dealing exclusively with Asperger's. There are varying degrees of this as well and nobody got offended when we discussed how functional we are in daily life, nobody got offensed. Some people will even insist on using either "Autist" or "person with autism" exclusively, despising the other term, and that is something I find very silly.

arcaneEnthusiast

Even if they have a correlation, the phrase "correlation does not imply causation" is important to remember. One may not cause the other just because they're both present

• Like 3

am asexual and am not asper/adh/etc (tho i do have dyslexia & aphasia (speech). I am what i am, always have been ... not due to trauma, events, etc.

I agree:

Even if they have a correlation, the phrase "correlation does not imply causation" is important to remember. One may not cause the other just because they're both present

IMO, it is a coincidence. I believe it is genetic. We all try to find reasons, sometimes there is no reason - IT (whatever it is) happens. Like a g/f of mine, a health "nut" who never smoked, didnt hang out w/smokers, led a healthy lifestyle got lung cancer (at age 30) - what caused it (cuz she was wondering WHY she, who was never around toxic fumes got lung cancer). There was no reason ... it just happened. (tho imo, it had to do w/stress in her life - her marriage was ending, a very unpleasant one). Stress seems to be a factor, so in some cases the 2 could be linked, but not necessarily.

• 2 weeks later...
Non-Verbal Sam

i don't know much but.

people with aspergers have little or no sexual interest, it could be a coincidence

That is not true, Sparrow. Our sexual attraction, interest and libido are as varied as those of neurotypical people.

Astrochelonian

am asexual and am not asper/adh/etc (tho i do have dyslexia & aphasia (speech). I am what i am, always have been ... not due to trauma, events, etc.

I agree:

IMO, it is a coincidence. I believe it is genetic. We all try to find reasons, sometimes there is no reason - IT (whatever it is) happens. Like a g/f of mine, a health "nut" who never smoked, didnt hang out w/smokers, led a healthy lifestyle got lung cancer (at age 30) - what caused it (cuz she was wondering WHY she, who was never around toxic fumes got lung cancer). There was no reason ... it just happened. (tho imo, it had to do w/stress in her life - her marriage was ending, a very unpleasant one). Stress seems to be a factor, so in some cases the 2 could be linked, but not necessarily.

I'm sorry about your friend. Sometimes cancer is just random mutation, but the leading cause of lung cancer in nonsmokers is radon (an invisible gas). If she and her family are living in the same house, it might not be a bad idea to check the basement for radon levels. (I bring it up because I had no idea about that until I moved to Maryland, and because if the levels are high, there are things you can do to mitigate it.)

littlepersonparadox

I agree:

IMO, it is a coincidence. I believe it is genetic. We all try to find reasons, sometimes there is no reason - IT (whatever it is) happens. Like a g/f of mine, a health "nut" who never smoked, didnt hang out w/smokers, led a healthy lifestyle got lung cancer (at age 30) - what caused it (cuz she was wondering WHY she, who was never around toxic fumes got lung y that is just what reaserch showscancer). There was no reason ... it just happened. (tho imo, it had to do w/stress in her life - her marriage was ending, a very unpleasant one). Stress seems to be a factor, so in some cases the 2 could be linked, but not necessarily.

First yay someone else who pays attention in statistics and math class. Second if all in the whole stress department it has been shown that viruses go threw cycles of active and dormant. Stress also lowers your immune system. (Scientific American) viruses have been know to be able to come out of dormant states in times of height stress. I'm not sure why that's just what my high school textbook said in biology when studying the virus life cycle. I don't know what caused your g/f cancer tho. Hope you doing well.

Lol. Before I lernt about asexuality I thought I was aspie because that's what everyone told me. "Only asburgers people are like that. You must be autistic." How stupid! It only took going to one meeting for aspies to know I did NOT fit that label. Then I finally put 2 and 2 together and googled asexuality and found that it has nothing to do with autism. I wish my parents and school never beat that into my head when I came of age and had disinterest in boys. It was the schools fault because they beat it into my parents head after I told the counselor I did not feel desire for a boyfriend. She told me I was sick in the head and needed help because "its not normal to not like boys". Load of shit...

I spent all that time explaining my self with the wrong definition and causing people to think I had a MI when I didnt. What a pity. The world needs more education on asexuality.

Moved from Asexual Q&A to World Watch

Lia
Administrator