Placard Slogans and Languages Announced!

10275-3713.png

Welcome One and All to the Placard Slogans/Languages post

Yes, we're finally announcing

The placards are going to be in three general groups, which go like this:

2 X Slogans to be translated into a few langauges

1 x Placard with 'Asexual' in as many different languages as we can fit

4 x Placards with slogans in English only

We're trying to have a balance of serious and humour, as such the slogans to be translated are:

'Not Broken and Not Alone'

'Asexual and Proud'

The four English only slogans will be:

'Flaming Asexual'

'Asexy and I Know It'

'This Is What an Asexual Looks Like'

and

'Asexuality: Not Just For Amoebas'

The languages we're using are:

Welsh - the winner of the British Isles language option that most were in favour of

Arabic

Chinese

French

German

Spanish

Italian

Polish

We got volunteers for more languages than we're using, if your language isn't on that list but there's a word for Asexual in it let us know and we'll try and get it onto what we're calling the 'Asexual X N' banner. If we knew that everyone who is interested were coming and we could get away with tons of banners we'd use more languages but as it is we are limited. So thank you so very much, we had volunteers not just from AVEN but also from Live Journal and Tumblr.

We chose the languages through a balance of a few things. The poll, not wanting to be entirely centered on Western Europe, and where we have people coming in from. It's a hard balance, there has been a lot of discussion on this amongst myself and others and this is the best balance we can get. You should probably be glad it wasn't just me or I may have gone a bit over the top (joking, but still be glad).

Anybody on the list of volunteers for a language that has been chosen, and who is from AVEN, will be getting a PM from Michael some point soon asking you which of the two slogans you would prefer. I will state up fron that Welsh will be using 'Not Broken and Not Alone' and that Arabic and Chinese will be on separate slogans. I'll be contacting the non-AVEN volunteers.

We've also decided that the placards will be one sided for a few reasons, and there's not much to the design besides plain text really. If you have any suggestions leave them bellow and we'd still like to see them but we're doing going the banner route of a design competition because not much design involved.

Thanks to everybody who commented and voted, and I hope you like the result. And again, special thanks to all translation volunteers.

ETA: Clarification on the 'not broken' as a translator asked. I mean 'there isn't anything wrong with me, there's nothing that needs to be fixed'.

That could mean you haven't succumbed to circumstances (like, OMG, you're only asexual because people wont go out with you, or you've been abused) or it could mean that you aren't ill and don't have anything wrong with you. I'm not sure if that's too broad a concept to get into a single word in [insert language here] but as close as possible is fine.

ETA 2: I made us a header logo thing because, well, I felt like it. Thought I'd stuck it at the top of here to make it more official looking because official post and pinned.

borrowedTime

Looks good.

Just one comment - from a proofreading point of view, I think 'This Is What an Asexual Looks Like' would be better, to fix the typo and also to be consistent with the other slogans.

I like it. :)

Only speak English & Spanish, so can't help with the languages.

To keep it organised, I'm going to do a 'Phrase one: Not Broke' and 'Phrase Two: Ace and Proud' set of lists. If you're a translator for one of the chosen languages let me know which you prefer and I'll try to fit it in, allowing for balance.

Phrase One: Not Broken and Not Alone

- Polish "Nie wybrakowany i nie jedyny"

- Welsh "Nid wedi torri, Nid ar ben dy hun"

- Arabic (I have it, but it's in .png form as I don't have the font on my comp)

- Spanish "No somos destrozados y no estáis solo"

Phrase Two: Asexual and Proud

- German "Asexuell - und das ist gut so"

- Chinese 無性戀,我驕傲

- Italian "Asessuali e Orgogliosi"

- French "Asexuel et fier"

Asexual in as many languages as possible, sometimes plural used where words are gendered in order to be neutral

Arabic (I have it, but in .png format too big for here)

Italian - Asessuale

Chinese - 無性戀

Croatian - Aseksualci

Danish - Aseksuel

Faroese - Aseksuellir

Finnish - Aseksuaali

German - Asexuell

Hebrew א-סקסואלים OR א-מיניים (unsure)

Irish - Éighnéasach

Polish - Aseksualni

Swedish - Asexuell

Vietnamese - Vô tính

Notte stellata

I prefer to do 'Asexual and Proud' in Chinese. Actually, I think both slogans are kind of hard to translate into Chinese 100% literally, but 'not broken' is more difficult, because I haven't thought of a Chinese word equivalent to 'broken' so far. As for 'Asexual and Proud', I'm thinking of translating it to 'I'm asexual and proud' or 'asexuals' pride', because that way it sounds more natural in Chinese. Not sure if it's okay. If necessary, I can do 'not broken' too, but it also needs a little flexibility in translation.

I prefer to do 'Asexual and Proud' in Chinese. Actually, I think both slogans are kind of hard to translate into Chinese 100% literally, but 'not broken' is more difficult, because I haven't thought of a Chinese word equivalent to 'broken' so far. As for 'Asexual and Proud', I'm thinking of translating it to 'I'm asexual and proud' or 'asexuals' pride', because that way it sounds more natural in Chinese. Not sure if it's okay. If necessary, I can do 'not broken' too, but it also needs a little flexibility in translation.

Whichever way makes sense in the language, not everything translates literally especially with languages that have as different a background as English and Chinese.

I think one of the translators is using 'defective' or for 'broken' to give you an idea.

I'll put Chinese down for ace and proud then, which means Arabic gets not broken/alone and I'll let her know that after confirmation.

• 2 weeks later...

It'd be wonderful if you could add some Hebrew too: א-מיניות = asexuality, א-מיניים = asexuals. Thanks!

We have Hebrew to put in the Asexual x N placard, yup. It's in the list a few comments down from the top.

Slight correction - No somos destrozados y no estáis solos. :D

Maybe in Spanish " No roto, No solos" , cause it sounds like an Spanish from Spain, maybe this could be for Latin America

Electric Barbarella

Beh, do you guys want someone to translate these slogans to Portuguese? I know it might be far-fetched to expect a lot of Brazilians to pop by there, but I'm sure at least some Portuguese people might. :lol:

Maybe in Spanish " No roto, No solos" , cause it sounds like an Spanish from Spain, maybe this could be for Latin America

Well, I'm hoping for Spanish that works for both though shorter the better cause then it can be bigger and easier to read from afar. Are both understandable from both sides of the pond?

A name is required

To keep it organised, I'm going to do a 'Phrase one: Not Broke' and 'Phrase Two: Ace and Proud' set of lists. If you're a translator for one of the chosen languages let me know which you prefer and I'll try to fit it in, allowing for balance.

Phrase One: Not Broken and Not Alone

- Polish "Nie wybrakowany i nie jedyny"

- Welsh "Nid wedi torri, Nid ar ben dy hun"

- Arabic (I have it, but it's in .png form as I don't have the font on my comp)

Phrase Two: Asexual and Proud

- German "Asexuell - und das ist gut so"

- Chinese 無性戀,我驕傲

- Italian "Asessuali e Orgogliosi"

- French

Asexual in as many languages as possible, sometimes plural used where words are gendered in order to be neutral

Italian - Asessuale

Irish - Éighnéasach

German - Asexuell

Swedish - Asexuell

Hebrew יא-מיניים

Chinese - 無性戀

Dutch - Aseksuel

Finnish - Aseksuaali

Croatian - Aseksualci

Faroese - Aseksuellir

Polish - Aseksualni

you have a small typo in hebrew! we say א-מיניים or א-סקסואלים like that

i was tired and read this thread as "picard slogans"

Italian - Asessuale

Irish - Éighnéasach

German - Asexuell

Swedish - Asexuell

Hebrew יא-מיניים

Chinese - 無性戀

Dutch - Aseksuel

Finnish - Aseksuaali

Croatian - Aseksualci

Faroese - Aseksuellir

Polish - Aseksualni

you have a small typo in hebrew! we say א-מיניים or א-סקסואלים like that

Awesome! Thanks for letting me know and I've changed it.

• 10 years later...

(Below is an official, green, mod message.)

Hi, everyone. This event has finished.

So, it's being locked.

LeChat,

Welcome Lounge, Announcements, and Alternate Language moderator