Aromantic but still want a relationship

Timothy P.

so i classify myself as an aromantic asexual but i feel like i still would like to have a relationship with someone and from what i read it is still possible but can someone clarify what aromantic actually is and any further questions

Aromantic just means lack of romantic attraction. So you can be aromantic and still want a relationship.

Janus the Fox

It is just the lack of romantic attraction. Aromantics can otherwise hold a romantic and indeed a sexual relationship with a significant other.

LifePerspective

An aromantic person is a person who does not experience romantic attraction. Romantic attraction typically means kissing, cuddling, etc. but the definition is fairly ambiguous. Some aromantic people do like to cuddle, while others don't even like to hug.

It is possible to have close relationships. Crushes for aromantic people are called squishes, and an aromantic person has a zucchini instead of a boyfriend/girlfriend. Aromantic relationships are sometimes described as "queerplatonic".

Try doing a little research, there are a few blogs specifically dedicated to aromantics. Here's one: http://aromanticaardvark.tumblr.com/

Thoughts For Otter

Compared to the Zero many people assume, a LOT of aromantics want relationships. I've heard several explain it along the lines of having a really close roommate.

I'm aromantic and in a relationship. I'm horribly romantic about it, too-- I'll plan picnics, dinner dates, nice evening outs, special gifts on all of the romantic holidays/anniversaries. I don't want to have sex with him though, and I don't have a NEED to be with him. I'm with him because I get along with him great (he's really a special guy, the only one I've EVER considered dating), and I'll be with him as long as it logically makes sense. He's someone I want to share experiences with. Although I cannot passionately love him, or even emotionally truly love him (I've never experienced that warm fuzzy feeling, or felt more relaxed if he's around, or anything else that would indicate he's the other half of my heart), I truly value him, like I do friends and family, but more special. And for that I can honestly say I love him.

Archived