Do any other aromantics still want to find life partner?

Doqzx

I don't know whether this would just be considered a best friend, but I've always wanted to meet a person that completely understands me and can have a close relationship with. Like a girlfriend/boyfriend relationship, except no romantic feelings or sex. Anyone else?

And on another random topics, is anyone else sad they'll never experience a wedding? I've always wanted a wedding, but there really isn't anyone I'd like to marry. Maybe I can marry myself.

I don't know whether this would just be considered a best friend, but I've always wanted to meet a person that completely understands me and can have a close relationship with. Like a girlfriend/boyfriend relationship, except no romantic feelings or sex. Anyone else?

No, not really. I don't see who you could open up to if not a romantic interest. The lines become blurred, or it does not work.

And on another random topics, is anyone else sad they'll never experience a wedding? I've always wanted a wedding, but there really isn't anyone I'd like to marry. Maybe I can marry myself.

There's a ton of different ways I can look at marrying yourself, and not a single one is positive.

Why would you want a wedding? They're expensive and a huge pain in the ass. I'm married and skipped the wedding, so I'm not the best person to ask, I suppose.

Weddings have never interested me, just a paper certificate in my opinion.

Yeah it would be nice to meet someone who I could really relate to, but I doubt that's ever going to happen

Why would you want a wedding? They're expensive and a huge pain in the ass. I'm married and skipped the wedding, so I'm not the best person to ask, I suppose.

Yeah, I'm really into fashion so I guess I just like the idea of organizing a huge event all about me where people give me presents and tell me I'm pretty. I don't really care for the 'marrying' part, though. Maybe I can just have a really elaborate birthday party.

No, not really. I don't see who you could open up to if not a romantic interest. The lines become blurred, or it does not work.

There's a ton of different ways I can look at marrying yourself, and not a single one is positive.

Yeah I understand, opening up to people is always strange because we're coming from such different mindsets. And don't worry, I'm not actually going to marry myself. Can people actually do that?

Yeah I understand, opening up to people is always strange because we're coming from such different mindsets. And don't worry, I'm not actually going to marry myself. Can people actually do that?

Such different mindsets? Are we not all aromantic here?

And yes, people have married themselves.

I used to have a quote from Nymzie in my sig about how the wedding would be the only reason I'd be in a relationship... truthfully I've never wanted a wedding (too much work!) but the sentiment is true. http://www.asexuality.org/en/index.php?showtopic=53252&view=findpost&p=1988418

Also, someone posted a news article a while back about someone marrying themselves and going on a honeymoon afterwards. So I suppose it's possible.

Such different mindsets? Are we not all aromantic here?

And yes, people have married themselves.

Sorry, I was referring to the real world, not just the forums. And wow, TIL. Strange, but whatever floats their boat.

I used to have a quote from Nymzie in my sig about how the wedding would be the only reason I'd be in a relationship... truthfully I've never wanted a wedding (too much work!) but the sentiment is true. http://www.asexuality.org/en/index.php?showtopic=53252&view=findpost&p=1988418

Also, someone posted a news article a while back about someone marrying themselves and going on a honeymoon afterwards. So I suppose it's possible.

I wonder how one would go about marrying themself, and what benefits that person would get. Maybe there are tax benefits or something? Not that I'm interested, it's just really interesting that people actually do that.

I wonder how one would go about marrying themself, and what benefits that person would get. Maybe there are tax benefits or something? Not that I'm interested, it's just really interesting that people actually do that.

If by interesting you mean sad or just plain weird, then yes.

The Great WTF

I don't feel as though I want or need a "companion" (I like that word. I think I'll continue to use it.) though I do have one right now. If or when we part ways, I'm not going to seek another person out. I'm pretty sure he's a one-time thing.

The only reason I've ever wanted to get married (other than all the presents that would be very useful when I finally get a house of my own) is for the comedy of seeing my pet's over-religious, narrow-minded family stuck in a room with my outspoken liberal one. Otherwise, I think the whole affair is ridiculous. Spending stupid amounts on money on a dress I'll wear once in my life and a party so a bunch of people I barely like or know can watch some random guy tell me what I already know about my relationship? No thank you.

The only reason I've ever wanted to get married (other than all the presents that would be very useful when I finally get a house of my own) is for the comedy of seeing my pet's over-religious, narrow-minded family stuck in a room with my outspoken liberal one.

...what?

The Great WTF

The only reason I've ever wanted to get married (other than all the presents that would be very useful when I finally get a house of my own) is for the comedy of seeing my pet's over-religious, narrow-minded family stuck in a room with my outspoken liberal one.

...what?

-_- Boyfriend.

...what?

-_- Boyfriend.

That's a bit... demeaning, don't you think?

At least that's how I see it.

The Great WTF

...what?

-_- Boyfriend.

He's fine with it so I really don't care what anyone else thinks.

...what?

-_- Boyfriend.

Well enough. I'm curious now, though, if I'm not too prying.

Nothing more than a name, is it?

The Great WTF

...what?

-_- Boyfriend.

Oh no, it's an official title. He walks around on a leash when I go anywhere with him and the tag on his collar says "WTF's bitch".

/end sarcasm

It's just a word I tacked on because we both hate the words boyfriend and girlfriend with a passion.

...what?

-_- Boyfriend.

Oh no, it's an official title. He walks around on a leash when I go anywhere with him and the tag on his collar says "WTF's bitch".

/end sarcasm

It's just a word I tacked on because we both hate the words boyfriend and girlfriend with a passion.

Ah, well enough.

I only ask because, as I'm sure you're aware, the sarcasm tag is absent for some.

Your casual use of it made me reconsider how mundane the term might actually be.

I believe it's ok if you can make he/she/them understand you're an ace and accept the "lifestyle". I could have that kind of relationship, a "no romance", just a sort of friend+roomate, for the benefits, like sharing bills, having someone to find my cold body lying in the bathroom before X days, not turning into cat lady (in other words, to avoid all the other stuff aromantics use to fear). I don't feel a need for 24/7 partnership or something alike.

Only issue is that romantic "best friends" use to need their romances, families, etc. Aka - Stuff I just don't plan to offer, that would take tons of faking from my part and I'm just not up to. When you're "a best friend closer than any other best friend", at least in my experience, you end up losing space for family (you know, sometimes there are ex-husband/wife, sons from previous marriage, etc.) and, if they have need for relationship, you can end up being totally cut out by their partners - they (all) can became jealous of you. It turns out the romantic folks sometimes mean it when saying they "need" a relationship.

The "hanging out is cool, but I need a romantic partner" always hurts, even when previously agreed or sudden said. If you can live with that...

As we speak I'm in the following point: I'm ok with hanging out and having some degree of intimacy with romantic people, but I don't expect stuff like avaliability and a relationship other than plain friendship. In the end of the day, I'm just a friend closer than other friends, with no privileges granted - like a monthly pizza to catch up, yarly travel, etc. - and I'm just ok with that, as I'm not looking for a relationship.

If I manage to find an aromantic ace around, maybe after a few years (not now), yep, we can work something up. I just won't look for it.

About marry with myself: I would never do that, period. I only would if I could divorce of myself later. :)

I don't know. I don't really know what the difference would be between someone I consider a "life partner" and a really good friend.

I know that I generally have the desire for really close friend. I like to use Sherlock Holmes and John Watson as my example of what I'd like to have with someone. Two people who are very close (possibly living together) who care strongly for each other, but not on a romantic level. They both still maintain separate lives, Watson gets married and moves out, but their friendship is still really strong.

I'd like to have someone like that. Someone who's really important to me and who I'm comfortable with and trust. Does that qualify as a life partner? If it does, than wouldn't most people's friends be considered life partners?

I don't feel as though I want or need a "companion" (I like that word. I think I'll continue to use it.)

Like you WTF I really like the term 'companinion' and it's one I've used often. I'm not looking for or in want of someone in my life right now, and don't currently have a companion, but I can see/understand the appeal for other aromantics. Of course there is the difficulty of finding one, but that is something that is not exclusive to aromantics...

And on another random topics, is anyone else sad they'll never experience a wedding? I've always wanted a wedding, but there really isn't anyone I'd like to marry.

As for the wedding. I've never wanted a wedding, big or small. But basically a wedding is just a really big party.. I know its not quite the same as a wedding... and I'm not sure how old Doqzx is but I know that a lot of people throw really big birthday parties (21, 30, 40, 50! I think a huge party for turning 50 is a pretty common deal) so perhaps you can plan a really fantastic birthday bash when you hit the right age?

Guest member25959

I wouldn't want a life partner, but I wouldn't want to spend the rest of my life alone either. I'd sure like to have some close friends that I can share things with, and possibly be close with, but not a ''life partner''.

Janus the Fox

I don't desire companionship, but if the right came along, I would'nt turn it down.

Who doesn't want a best friend?

I remember in 1997 or 98 when Dennis Rodman married himself. More recently, I have a friend who did a commitment ceremony to himself, something about values. You can't have a legal marriage to yourself, but you can certainly have a ceremony.

I'd get bored of a life partner or I'd drive them crazy xD

As for weddings....I'd just like to get a dress and go out into town or the beach with it on for lulz.

I'm the person who posted that article so here you go again http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/10/22/us-taiwan-wedding-idUSTRE69L0NY20101022

People in general seem to flow in and out of my life. I have had one serious relationship which, after six years, failed due to the lack of cohesion between us. Very specific circumstances however, it was long-distance based for the majority of the relationship which is why it lasted so long in the first place. I am not convinced that I will find a "life partner", as you term it. I would very much like to, but experience has lead me to believe that people will enter and exit my life, impacting it one way or the other.

I don't desire companionship, but if the right one came along, I wouldn't turn it down.

This.

As for the wedding, I think I'd like to have one just so I could make it as non-traditional as possible. :P Everything and everyone in black, I'd wear the tux, we'd play heavy metal, etc.

I don't know if I'll ever want to do this, but it seems like one way to really make sure you know a friend is to live with them. It would also be important if you wanted to raise kids. I'd look on a life partner as a sort of sibling by choice.

gilnokoibito

I feel the same, I've always wanted someone who really gets me, whom I can FULLY feel comfortable around, someone I wouldn't mind living with (because I wouldn't get the feeling they wanted to touch me, kiss me, see me naked, etc.) But, all of this to me, though great in my mind, just doesn't seem to exist in real life. I posted about that before on here I believe, someone said I should call myself WTFromantic, and the way they described it seemed to fit me well. I love the "idea" of things like that, I think I would love to find someone like that, but when it comes down to real life, I can never feel comfortable in any sort of relationship like that.

Also, I've heard of self-marriage, and have even researched what little about it I could find. I've also always wanted a wedding, but obviously, it'll probably never be to another person. To me, a self-marriage is sort of like a coming of age type thing, a self-love sort of thing. I've actually been seriously considering doing something like that for real lately. Get a nice poofy dress (cheap on eBay!), set up a nice place, have a small ceremony where I vow to do better by myself, to try to improve myself (perhaps state some goals for myself aloud), to forgive myself for things in my past, to keep my head high during the worst of times, etc. Then have a party with all my friends, cater a bit of food, have some music and dancing, maybe something funner too, like laser tag or a nerf battle (hey, my friends would love it!), I even thought of a fun way to incorporate my religion and theme (Halloween...when I always wanted to get married!), by having little creepy trees with bats to hang on them, letting all my guests write down a wish, a goal, or something they'd like to improve about THEIRSELVES, and then tie the pieces pf paper to each bat with their name on it. Later, the bats can remain on the trees and the wishes can be burnt in a bonfire to fly out to the heavens. Meh...I thought it was cool...lol

Archived