AroPlane, a new aromantic forum

+Lee

My friend Sam and I created anew aromantic forum, AroPlane!

It's a forum for aromantics, grey-romantics, demiromantics, lithromantics, sexual aromantics, and other aromantic spectrum individuals. We just started it today and already we have 13 members and a couple of topics going.

Thought I would post here for aromantics and everyone else to see, hope to see you there!

AmoebaAssociate

Awesome!

• 2 weeks later...

But isn't the net full of sexual aromantics, I just want to post to a forum for asexual aromantics?

But isn't the net full of sexual aromantics, I just want to post to a forum for asexual aromantics?

There is a forum for that: Aromantic Asexuals!

AVEN doesn’t exclude aromantic sexual people though! Personally, I think that excluding aromantics on the basis of their sexuality would be a very negative thing; there are already aromantics like this on AVEN, though I imagine there are others that are uncomfortable with posting because of our focus on asexuality, the fact that they are uncomfortable saddens me. I like it when people who are not asexual but who have romantic orientations that are different from their sexual ones post on AVEN because it shows that there’s been a contribution to ideas here that have broader relevance than to asexuals alone. Aromantic heterosexuals or panromantic homosexuals or whatever they happen to be are rather neglected in present mainstream comprehension of sexuality. In particular, people who are aromantic and sexual get a lot of flack because of romance prioritization. I think it is awesome that AroPlane is an inclusive space. I just hope aromantic sexual people don't leave AVEN entirely, their views add nuance to the discussions here.

There is a forum for that: Aromantic Asexuals!

AVEN doesn’t exclude aromantic sexual people though! Personally, I think that excluding aromantics on the basis of their sexuality would be a very negative thing;

Thank you :)

It may be negative for them, but not me, that is all that really concerns me. I have been surrounded by them on and off throughout my life, a little respite is no bad thing.

I just hope aromantic sexual people don't leave AVEN entirely, their views add nuance to the discussions here.

I really am only interested in meeting and talking to other aces and aro aces. Such is the human condition, that you want to be amongst your own. I have been to over 30 meets, and there has never been any yearning to be amongst any other group than our own.

You put one person who is overtly sexual in there and you can ruin it, I have had personal experience of it at Aven meets with one particular person.

I took a look at this forum, it seems interesting and the people seem friendly.

Also, there're some AVENites on that forum as well, so it might be easier for new members to join if they know there're people like them (ex. asexual) participating in the forum talks already.

I wish you good luck, guys :)

I just hope aromantic sexual people don't leave AVEN entirely, their views add nuance to the discussions here.

I really am only interested in meeting and talking to other aces and aro aces. Such is the human condition, that you want to be amongst your own. I have been to over 30 meets, and there has never been any yearning to be amongst any other group than our own.

You put one person who is overtly sexual in there and you can ruin it, I have had personal experience of it at Aven meets with one particular person.

I get your point, AceOfCakes, however if you don't like AroPlane (or any other forum, for that matter), you don't have to join it. There's another forum for aromantic asexuals (which hexaquark has pointed out alreaday), maybe you'd be more comfortable there. Anyway, maybe you might like to give that forum a chance, who knows who you can meet there. In case it doesn't appeal to you, it doesn't take much to just leave :)

I get your point, AceOfCakes, however if you don't like AroPlane (or any other forum, for that matter), you don't have to join it. There's another forum for aromantic asexuals (which hexaquark has pointed out alreday), maybe you'd be more comfortable there. Anyway, maybe you might like to give that forum a chance, who knows who you can meet there. In case it doesn't appeal to you, it doesn't take much to just leave :)

Oh that is really wonderful thanks, I have found it and will now join, though there is not much going on there, which is a shame, but as we have not got one here, it is the only option... :)

Just joined. Now I'll have a tab open for this site and another tab open for Aroplane from now on.

• 11 months later...

I realize that digging up old threads is frowned upon here, but I wanted to ask a question.

I've been thinking about registering on Aroplane, but it looks like the place has been kind of deserted since February. There are very few posts newer than that. Can someone associated with Aroplane say why this is (some prolonged downtime, any sort of problems, lack of interest). I wouldn't like to register only to find out that the community has pretty much dissapeared/lost interest.

Mezzo Forte

Personally, I keep a close eye on AroPlane, partially because I'm a mod and I try to keep spammers from flooding out the site. I think it has partially to do with the fact that it's generally been a slower-moving forum and after a while, not a lot of people kept starting threads, and some of the more active posters ran out of content to really comment on and started checking the forum less frequently. I know at least one active member that is on a temporary leave from the site, but the others might have just slowly dropped it after a while and very few new people have started jumping into the fray, probably partially because of the lack of content. It's a vicious cycle, no?

If you are interested in registering on AroPlane, I will gladly welcome you and most likely respond to just about any incoming post. I'd really like to see it get out of this dry spell at the moment, so feel free to join; some new threads might liven things up a bit :)

• 2 years later...

Did AroPlane end? Because when I click the link a mining thing pops up.

Mezzo Forte

Did AroPlane end? Because when I click the link a mining thing pops up.

Yeah, the domain expired, and nobody could get in contact with the person who owned it. Nobody who wanted to keep the site alive had the funds to buy the domain fresh either, so we had no choice but to let AroPlane go :(

I'd mention Arocalypse because of all the AroPlane users who migrated there, but that site's domain expired too >>

Blue Phoenix Ace

Hmm, all us people who aren't interested in committed relationships don't seem committed to these domains. :(

Are there any other options out there? If not, how would I start one? And, how would I drive traffic to the site?

If somebody wants a bit of technical support and advice to start, I can help, but I can't guarantee how long I'll be available full time.

It'd be nice to have a forum for aromantics, too. I couldn't find any. I don't know how setting up these things works, though. Although, I'm totally in support of the idea.

Mezzo Forte

Hmm, all us people who aren't interested in committed relationships don't seem committed to these domains. :(

Are there any other options out there? If not, how would I start one? And, how would I drive traffic to the site?

Only other thing I know of is the Aromantic Talk Facebook group, but I know that not everyone likes having their real name attached to something like that. I'm okay with talking about aromanticism and asexuality on there, but I'm too freaked out talking about my gender through anything on Facebook, so it does change how I respond to the group compared to forums.

Only other thing I know of is the Aromantic Talk Facebook group, but I know that not everyone likes having their real name attached to something like that. I'm okay with talking about aromanticism and asexuality on there, but I'm too freaked out talking about my gender through anything on Facebook, so it does change how I respond to the group compared to forums.

Yeah, I DEFINITELY do not want to associate my Facebook with anything like this. First of all, because of anonymity, and also because no one but my friends know I'm aro. It would just be really awkward and uncomfortable.

Mezzo Forte

Yeah, I DEFINITELY do not want to associate my Facebook with anything like this. First of all, because of anonymity, and also because no one but my friends know I'm aro. It would just be really awkward and uncomfortable.

Oh, it's a private Facebook group, so your friends will never see your posts, and they won't be able to find that you're a member by digging through your profile. I think only members in the group can see who is in it. The only thing I get paranoid about is if anyone were to peek at my Facebook feed from my personal account (like if someone were to screen peek at my phone). I've been in the group for a couple years I think and nobody IRL knows that I'm in that group at all to my knowledge. (Only a handful of people know of my aro/ace identity and even less of them my trans identity.)

Oh, it's a private Facebook group, so your friends will never see your posts, and they won't be able to find that you're a member by digging through your profile. I think only members in the group can see who is in it. The only thing I get paranoid about is if anyone were to peek at my Facebook feed from my personal account (like if someone were to screen peek at my phone). I've been in the group for a couple years I think and nobody IRL knows that I'm in that group at all to my knowledge. (Only a handful of people know of my aro/ace identity and even less of them my trans identity.)

Oh, that makes sense. But I'm ultra paranoid anyway :ph34r: Also, I want to keep my anonymity on forums and stuff so it'd be kind of weird if everyone in the group could see my Facebook profile.

Blue Phoenix Ace

OK, it looks like I could get Community Forum Software (same thing that powers this forum) for $175, plus $25 every 6 months for support. Then I have to register a domain which isn't all that much. I have the technical ability to start one. I'm willing to give it a shot, and if nobody shows up, then at least it's good for the economy.

So... what would the URL be? :)

OK, it looks like I could get Community Forum Software (same thing that powers this forum) for $175, plus $25 every 6 months for support. Then I have to register a domain which isn't all that much. I have the technical ability to start one. I'm willing to give it a shot, and if nobody shows up, then at least it's good for the economy.

So... what would the URL be? :)

If you did this, I would love you forever (platonically :P). I would join so fast that I would have access to all the coolest usernames XD

OK, it looks like I could get Community Forum Software (same thing that powers this forum) for $175, plus $25 every 6 months for support. Then I have to register a domain which isn't all that much. I have the technical ability to start one.

Do you really want to pay so much money for a forum when there are so many free options available?

Also, forums are kinda... last decade. I don't know of any that started up in the last few years that were successful: all of the big ones like AVEN have a critical mass of members from when forums were actually popular. You'd be much better to go for something like a Facebook group, that fits with what people want to use these days.

Nonetheless - I think having an aromantic discussion space is a great idea, and I wish you luck with it!

Blue Phoenix Ace

I visit a lot of forums several times a week, but come to think of it, none of them were started within the last five years. ;)

I'll see if I can just grab Aroplane.com/org. Then all the old links would just take people there. It might be in some grey zone though where nobody can take it.

EDIT: Nope, it's "taken".

Personally I have two Facebook accounts. One for general LGBT stuff, and one for RL

OK, it looks like I could get Community Forum Software (same thing that powers this forum) for $175, plus $25 every 6 months for support. Then I have to register a domain which isn't all that much. I have the technical ability to start one.

Do you really want to pay so much money for a forum when there are so many free options available?

IPS is very expensive. A better option would be to use free software like phpBB. Web hosting could cost around $15 with a domain. Personally, I use a free host for my Chinese asexuality site/forum. While you can also use free forum services like ProBoards, these have a fatal flaw, which is the you don't own the posts. The posts stay on the free board forever, with no option to export.

Archived