ideal aromantic relationships

goodbye

ideal aromantic relationships  

5 members have voted

1. 1. How do you describe your ideal aromantic relationship?

• friendship
    • (queer)platonic relationship
    • friends who are like siblings/family
    • companion (thanks to Poppaea Holmes!)
    • zucchini/other vegetable
    • something between friends and romantic partners
    • "aromantic relationship"
    • other (please state below?)
    • I'm not interested in an aromantic relationship.
    • bromance
  2. 2. What would you do with this person?

• typical friend activities
    • hug
    • cuddle
    • hold hands
    • live together
    • kiss
    • date
    • have sex
    • other
    • not applicable/none of the above

I'm pretty much aromantic, and I noticed that a lot of other aromantics would like to have aromantic relationships in their futures or are currently in one. I was just wondering what everyone's favorite terms for these were!

EDIT: I added another question just for the hell of it. :)

Okay, final edit. I added "bromance" because I forgot it the first time. ^_^

Jillianimal

Either queer platonic relationship or friends who are like siblings/family (lasting ones of course)....or both, so I went with other. Particularly I always wanted a somewhat older guy friend to be like a close, (possibly over)protective big brother to me, preferbly one whose gay and/or ace just so that there's no chance of it getting/being awkward ^_^ Really really badly actually :(

Aren't "something between friends and romantic partners" & queer platonic relationships the same thing?

Either (queer)platonic relationship or friends who are like siblings/family....or both, so I went with other.

Oops, sorry! I changed it to allow multiple choices. :D

The Great WTF

I've always had a bit of a nakama complex (thank you anime fandom) so I'd have to go with friends who are like siblings/family. Having a group of close people I can depend on and care about has always been more important than having a single partner.

I'd have to go with friends who are like family, too. I'd also be looking for someone with whom I could feel totally at ease cuddling, who's looking for a long-term thing. Like BFFs, where the last F isn't just a load of hogwash that middle schoolers drop left and right. Someone I could rely on to be there when I need a friend, no matter what.

Jillianimal

What the heck, it automatically filled in my votes for the second poll!!

At least it's pretty accurate.

I want to find myself a nice, aromantic, cis-gendered Dalek, that sees them-self as a genderless non-biannry who rejects labels, preferably, they should be able to knit. Though I would need to remove the word, 'exterminate,' from their electronic dictionaries.

I look forward to going to bed every night and leaving them behind. No more sleepless nights lying next door to the 'amazing snoring hammer-drill,' guaranteed to blast the wax from your ears, nightly!

EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!

Pandora's Fox

You have missed out "Eat".

Joke. Stop staring at me. -.-

Friendship, something between friends and romantic, typical friend activities, live together, other. I'm not certain however.

A coparent. I want somebody who will be my friend and live with me and adopt one or more kids with me. I do not want to hug, kiss, or cuddle. I am okay with describing the process of finding such a person as "dating."

Notte stellata

I'm romantic, but aromantic relationship also sounds appealing to me. I voted for "friendship" and "something between friends and romantic partners". Not exactly sure what aromantic relationship is like, and the differences among some options seem very subtle to me.

I'd like to be and have the comfy chair. Or be the cake and eat it as well. Without the bits being involved, the m. c. escher ideal. That would be great. Intricate involvement that becomes complete without abandoning constituent parts. *thrbbb*

Yea, I tend to use queerplatonic and zucchini interchangeably, and I've heard both of those used to mean the same thing as "aromantic relationship." Is there a difference?

Regardless, close friends who are like family/siblings would be awesome. Holding hands not so much, but hugging and cuddling? Sure! And as far as I'm concerned, the best part of having close friends is living with them.

5_♦♣

I voted friendship (I have none in real life-I lost touch with my friends after high school. In fact, a couple of my childhood friends moved away ages ago; and I mean, prior to high school, heck, even prior to junior high for that matter), a companion and I forget what else I picked (I did choose 3 or 4 options total for the first question). For the second question I chose the first four options as well as kiss and date. FWIW, I'm a romantic. Alas, I don't want a committed romantic relationship (commitment scares me) and I seriously doubt I'd ever find anyone who was okay with romance without commitment.

Yea, I tend to use queerplatonic and zucchini interchangeably, and I've heard both of those used to mean the same thing as "aromantic relationship." Is there a difference?

A lot of the terms mean the same thing (companion for example), it's just a question of how you would prefer to describe an aromantic relationship. Personally I think "zucchini" sounds a lot cuter and more concise than "queerplatonic relationship." ^_^

ieatpumpkinpie

I'd say something like companions. That's a great way of putting it. :) Or somewhere inbetween friends/romantic partners.

But just some cool friend to live with and do friend like things.

Notte stellata

I've never heard of "zucchini" as a type of relationship. How did this term come about?

Yeah, I'd like the female/genderqueer equivalent of a bromance, whatever that is. :D

Notte stellata

I've never heard of "zucchini" as a type of relationship. How did this term come about?

here's a quick overview

I voted for something between friends and romantic partners. It would be more exclusive than normal friendship but not as clingy and binding as typical romantic relationships are. We would be perceived as a couple. I want only one partner of this kind and I don´t want him to have more partners than me.

But as for activities, I would like to do normal friend stuff (sharing some hobbies) + hugging and cuddling, maybe kissing. I don´t cuddle and kiss with friends.

I forgot to say I want this kind of relationship with another asexual only.

I'm fine being single, but if a relationship comes along I would get on with it.

Trava u doma

Friends who are like siblings/family :wub: Hugs and cuddles would be great, too.

I checked off "live together" as well, but it's not an absolute "must" for me.

I like the idea of companionship, like someone who will be with you (hopefully forever) and will be like a friend you can sleep in the same bed all the time without it being awkward or can cuddle with. Eventually living together would be nice, perhaps going to movies or to dinner...more intimate activities without being sexual.

I said something between friends and romatic partners, but I don't know how romantic I am! and I said typical friend stuff and hug and hold hands. I have a slight obsession with holding hands every now and agin, so to do that with someone and it not be seen as anything else would be good! :P

This is a really good question!

Bromance all the way.

Video games, wrestling matches, hiking, and cuddles.

I chucked kissing in there just in case.

I want to find myself a nice, aromantic, cis-gendered Dalek, that sees them-self as a genderless non-biannry who rejects labels, preferably, they should be able to knit. Though I would need to remove the word, 'exterminate,' from their electronic dictionaries.

I look forward to going to bed every night and leaving them behind. No more sleepless nights lying next door to the 'amazing snoring hammer-drill,' guaranteed to blast the wax from your ears, nightly!

EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!

AHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA...!!!!!

Brilliant.

An aromantic relationship would probably be a queer platonic relationship to me, I think.

• 2 weeks later...
Dame du Lac

We would be "companions" - husband and wife, and we would have an affectionate relationship. There would be some sex so that we could also be parents. We would live together as a family.

I'm not sure if I'm aromantic or romantic. Kind of feel of an aromantic though. Not sure though. Though, since I've realized I'm indeed asexual, I feel so much comfortable in my skin. Which is so awesome.

I guess my ideal intimate relationship is akin to that between mischievous puppies from the same litter. That's how I'd define my relationship with my closest friend, who is more like a sibling to me than my actual siblings.

Archived