Is it possible to only get squishes on members of the opposite gender?

HollyheadHarpy

HollyheadHarpy

I currently consider myself an aromantic asexual, which works because I've only ever had squishes. The only thing that bothers me is that all of my squishes have been on guys. Like if I were to have a queerplatonic life partner, I think it would be a guy. Is it possible to have an orientation for squishes, or am I gray-romantic because of that? Is anyone else like this?

Mr. Shuttershy

I would say you -could- be gray-romantic, but then it could just be you have a squish orientation, or maybe you could have squishes on both, but its only guys that have stood out to you. However, I cannot tell you what you are. Personally, and don't get offended, I feel that aromantic can be a rigid, limiting label. Some people truly are aromantic, but I, read -I-, believe it /can/ really screw with your perception of what is and isn't romantic, so if you ever felt romantic you might either be afraid of it, or tuck the feelings away and continue on. I, as an ace, accept that its possible I've puhed aside sexual feelings in favor of keeping my label. So, I am trying to be more open. Anywho, I'm not condeming aros, my bestie is aro, or saying your feelings aren't legit, they are, but there is a possibility it could be romantic. So. I wish you luck :cake: and if it helps, even romantics have to define what's romantic to them. I don't like physical touch, really at all, so if I went by what the media says is love, I'd be aro. Just something to mull around your head.

What kind of things make you squish on your squishes? Maybe it's just that you like qualities more often found with guys?

I squish and borderline crush on both genders. No idea what that makes me, though I'm not really fussed about figuring that out.

Amazon.

I am the exact way. I recently started identifying as an aromantic asexual when before I thought I was heteroromantic. I realized though that none of the relationships I've been in haven't really been something I wanted and really all I wanted from those men have been friendships. The thing is my entire life, I've been close with more men then I have been with women and so the majority of my close friendships, other than one girl, have been with men. So I wouldn't say that you are gray-romantic because of that but ultimately it is up to you how you choose to identify yourself.

HollyheadHarpy

Thanks so much for the responses, sorry it took me so long to answer.

I do agree with you, mr. Blueberry, that it's kind of a rigid label, but I'm fairly sure that if I do experience romantic attraction, I'd be okay with that.

I'm not really sure what it is that makes me have a squish, so I'm not really sure about that. It is true that in general I am closer to guys, so i actually think that's probably why. A lot of my friends are guys, and that's exactly how I want it to be :)

Thank you so much for helping me :D

Archived