Homoromantic or aromanitc?

Chrysanthalis

Chrysanthalis

So I have this friend whom I've known since about third grade, nine years ago. We've been friends for ages. Best friends since probably seventh grade. We spend a ton of time together, and we totally get each other, to the point where we barely have to explain how we think/feel a lot of the time, because the minute one of us starts describing it, the other goes "Yeah, I know exactly what you mean."

A while back, at the beginning of the journey of self-discovery that eventually led me here, I actually wondered if I was a lesbian because I liked spending time around this friend so much (and my other female friend(s) to a similar degree). Now I'm wondering if I'm homoromantic - except that I don't really like romance. I don't really like kissing or dating or anything other than spending time with friends.

Can I be homo-platonic? Is there something in between a friendship and a romantic relationship?

I'm actually in quite a predicament here, because usually if I was trying to figure out something like this she is the first person I would go to... but obviously I can't without mentioning that I might have those kinds of feelings for her.

Which I might not even. I am sufficiently lacking in the social graces that I can barely tell when I'm being rude, let alone tell the difference. Help? I can't navigate this thing on my own.

Mr. Shuttershy

Romance is what you make ir. Its different for everyone. I don't want those cliche things either, but I am romantic. As a person in love with my bestie, I get you. The differnce for me between platonic and romanticnis that with romantic I wish to spend my life -with- someone, as in together, shared experiences, and platonic is that I want them a part of my life, but not neccesarily taking on life as a team. Its the thinnest line, but I don't even count a line being there. So. Its somrthing that varies, so you'll have ti figure it out for you.

:cake:

It doesn't really sound like romance, though romance is only what you do out of the feeling. It just sounds like you're friends-to-the-point-of-twins to me, so maybe aromantic. Also I don't think you need an ounce of social savviness to know how you feel romantically (or not).

And yes, there are some relationships that blur the line between friendship & romance be it through actions or feelings. I've seen them referred to as queerplatonic relationships.

Mr. Shuttershy

It doesn't really sound like romance, though romance is only what you do out of the feeling. It just sounds like you're friends-to-the-point-of-sisters to me, so maybe aromantic. Also I don't think you need an ounce of social savviness to know how you feel romantically (or not).

I'm enamored with my bestie, but I don't like kissing ir touching, etc. So... idk. : X I think its possible she could be romantic towards her.

It doesn't really sound like romance, though romance is only what you do out of the feeling. It just sounds like you're friends-to-the-point-of-sisters to me, so maybe aromantic. Also I don't think you need an ounce of social savviness to know how you feel romantically (or not).

I'm enamored with my bestie, but I don't like kissing ir touching, etc. So... idk. : X I think its possible she could be romantic towards her.

It is possible, it's just that wasn't what I was picking up from it. Emotions are a hard thing to communicate, but if she described exactly what she feels for her friend & that's all she's feeling, it sounds a lot she's a bestestbestfriend to her rather than a crush.

Separating comfort and love from romantic feelings is really hard - sometimes almost impossible. If you feel similarly for several friends and you'd be ok with them dating someone else... sounds platonic, not romantic, but only you can say for sure. As for homo-platonic... i think its pretty much a given, particularly at your age, that your friends are of the same sex.

The whole "homo-platonic" thing, it's called homosocial, which is a preference of socializing with the same sex. I'm pretty sure we're aware of the prefixes & their meanings so I won't bother with describing all the others.

Archived