Squashes and Zucchinis

Hi there folks! Does anyone know where I can get more information on Squashes* and Zucchinis**? I just found out about them, is there anywhere I can get more information? I think I may be squashing on someone at this point, does a Squash feel a bit like a borderline crush?

*definition: desiring to form queerplatonic relationships/very close friendships/permanent roommateships/Boston marriages/etc. with

**definition: people I am in a very, very strong friendship with and would like to be more or less permanent roommates with, or at least permanently live in the same city with.

http://heterogen.wordpress.com/2011/07/31/on-relationships-squishes-and-zucchini/

I am so excited to find out about this word. I've felt this way for ages about certain people and FINALLY have a word for it!!!!!!!! Power of vocabulary! :aven: :D

What the hell...?

Here I was thinking "squish" already sounded like a silly-enough term... but I think these take the cake. Pun fully intended.

Wouldn't most people just say best friends, or BFFs? I think BFF also sounds a little silly (not to mention that for the longest time, I thought people were talking about their boyfriends, since it's usually females that use this term, but after seeing so many of them hit the F twice by "accident" I suspected something was up), but at least it's well recognized among the populace.

I think the distinguishing factor is wanting to live with your zucchini forever.

I'm glad you like it...and I'm happy if it makes you happy.

But there is no way I'm going to remember those, personally... :blink: Tooooo many labels.

Wait a sec, wait a sec...so it looks like "squash" is a version of "squish"...but "zucchini" is also a type of squash! Okay, I'm proud of myself because I don't usually catch on to puns. :P I know "zucchini" was originally coined on Kaz's blog which is linked in the post above. At this point, you may have more luck researching Boston Marriages.

Butternut squash soup, anyone? Or perhaps a stuffed squash?

Over here, we call zucchinis courgettes. The vegetables, not the relationship term. Because no one uses it in the latter sense at all, obviously.

I've heard squishes being described as "aromantic crushes" before. Not sure how that works.

So where do marrows fit into this?

I don't really get the difference between squashes and zucchinis at this point. I knew the terms and I knew they were both borderline crushes, as in desiring a committed non-romantic relationship with a person, but how do you tell them apart? And is there a real need to tell them apart?

They do differ from squishes though, as they have something to do with being best friends with someone, but without the commitment part.

Why bother calling it anything? If I have a great friend with whom I just enjoying hanging out (no attraction, no commitment, etc.), why not just call it "friends" or "best friends" or even "best friends forever"?

I'd much rather be someone's BFF than a zucchini...

^ Agreed. :wacko:

Again...if you feel the need for labels, and like them, cool, but I feel like once we start naming labels after produce we're getting slightly ridiculous...

Guest member25959

Zucchini...................what the fu--. Does someone seriously sit there, and come up with these terms, thinking that they sound good, or what?

Seriously? Do people seriously use these terms? Really? What the hell.

From the definition, it seems more like a ''platonic relationship''. But, y'know, ''platonic relationship'' isn't anywhere near ridiculous enough of a term.

Okay, I'm finished ranting now.

And, frankly, given certain erotic associations with certain types of produce, I'm failing to see how a zuchinni is all that appropriate of a term for a platonic relationship. (nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more!)

^ Wooooow, Qute. Just...just...wow.

Let's see, "cucumbers" could be someone you want to use produce on erotically...

"Carrots" are people who you would love to go get a tan with...

"Potatoes" can be...people you want to enjoy greasy diners with...

"Apples"...hmm...people who you'd like to wait in a waiting room with at the dentist...

"Bananas"...I'm just going to skip that...

We can get ridiculous with this.

Found that enlightening, didja? :lol:

I identify more with the concept of asparagus buddies. A close relationship that starts at the roots but maintains a completely separate life while in cohabitation. This type of arrangement is also known as smelly pee friends.

*note this is completely ridiculous

I thought and thought about how zucchinis could possibly be erotic.

Then the following comic I read a while ago popped into my head and finally made sense (gag-choke).

(Sorry, the pics are rather big, and I don't feel like resizing it and yada, yada.)

confidence3.png

confidence4x.png

confidence5.png

confidence6.png

confidence7.png

confidence8.png

EDIT: Why do we even need to use produce terms? I propose the following hierarchy:

• Crush - Sexual attraction
  • Squish - nonsexual attraction
  • Squash - nonromantic attraction
  • Racquetball - Same as above, but with less enthusiasm (because the ball involved has less elasticity)
  • Tennis - Same as above, but you prefer facing one another
  • Table tennis - Same as above, but you prefer closer proximity to one another

I thought about doing crush, squish, squash, smash, destroy, beat to a pulp... but somehow, that didn't seem right....

This type of arrangement is also known as smelly pee friends.

Is is purely by coincidence that rhymes with 'Happy Tree Friends'? :P

I thought and thought about how zucchinis could possibly be erotic.

Then the following comic I read a while ago popped into my head and finally made sense (gag-choke).

It's so much fun for those of us who've had a bit of experience with sexual banter to shock the heck out of those who haven't. XD

WTF ever happened to the good old fashion "friend crush"? That term was just perfect!

And what about "platonic lifepartners"? It's so simple & straight forward!

I really don't think naming types of relationships after vegetables is a good idea. I think it gives the impression that we compensate lack of sex for food.

@Caspian: I like the idea of using squish for that, though I always used it for something completely different. What are we supposed to call romantic attraction without the need for a relationship?

*sigh* fucking labels....

I just can't believe you went there, is all. Gutsy. :lol:

This thread is hilarious. :D

I just can't believe you went there, is all. Gutsy. :lol:

This thread is hilarious. :D

It was pretty amusing the previous time the whole zuchinni thing was brought up.:)

Zucchini is a term that has been around for a year or so. Some AVENites don't recognize it because it's mainly from the blog/tumblrsphere, and AVENites usually can't be bothered to pay attention to the rest of the community outside of AVEN. <_<

I don't use the word zucchini, but I don't feel comfortable making fun of it either. If other people find it useful, it's not for me to take that away from them.

Mind you "zucchini" is meant to sound a little silly.

That's true, Siggy...I spend way too much time on AVEN to have time for anything else. :)

*shrug*

Zucchini does sound pretty silly. It's probably just because I get bothered by words that have two vastly different meanings sometimes. :wacko:

I agree with asking what's wrong with just a platonic relationship? I know language changes and evolves as time passes, but seriously what is it with coming up with new fad words or phrases on an almost daily rhythm? Language is meant for communication and inventing definitions for words on a seemingly random basis makes no sense. I mean come on, I thought the 80's were bad with the whole valley girl thing!

Or does this just fall under "Kid's these days"? Am I just getting old? :unsure:

It's so much fun for those of us who've had a bit of experience with sexual banter to shock the heck out of those who haven't. XD

:snort: must be nice to turn the tables every now and then and not be on the receiving end of a joke. :lol:

Edited to clarify what I meant.

.diva plavalaguna.

My quince pals are better than your lemon chums.

I lol'd so hard. xD

I'm not knocking anyone who wants to use these terms, but personally, they are just way too hilarious for me now. I think I'll just stick to using the term "crush" and the appropriate adjectives, rofl.

I think the distinguishing factor is wanting to live with your zucchini forever.

I don't really have anything to add on the subject, but this sentence is just... :wub: I write and I think at some point I HAVE to use this. Literally of course, not in the intended context. Would you mind? I'll give you :cake: !