Emotional Attraction?

I identify as asexual for the obvious reasons. I'm also considering whether I'm aromantic or demi-romantic (straight). I don't actively look for people to date, even when the opportunity presents itself, but I have developed romantic feelings a few times. In my head, I imagine that I would like to date a guy, especially since the few romantic attachments or interests I have had were male. But I've noticed that I am more comfortable emotionally with females. I don't feel "attracted" in the sense of wanting to be a couple or anything. However, I often find myself "drawn to" certain people - I really, really want to see them and talk to them and get to know them and just be around them. There's nothing physical involved, aside from occasional hugging like with all my friends, but the emotional draw is very strong sometimes. I think that this has happened with guys a few times, but most of the time it happens with other females. I'm not sure if it means I just think they're a swell person, or if it's something else. Any ideas? And would you call it emotional attraction or is there already another word for it?

Squishes? That is the term occasionally used to define platonicattraction or ‘friendship crushes’. Anyways, the point is, I know what you are talking about. Being drawn towards certain people and having a sort of attraction which does not cross into romance.

Hope that helped. :cake:

However, I often find myself "drawn to" certain people - I really, really want to see them and talk to them and get to know them and just be around them. There's nothing physical involved, aside from occasional hugging like with all my friends, but the emotional draw is very strong sometimes. I think that this has happened with guys a few times, but most of the time it happens with other females. I'm not sure if it means I just think they're a swell person, or if it's something else. Any ideas? And would you call it emotional attraction or is there already another word for it?

I feel like this towards close friends, too. I think it's called platonic attraction, like drgreen19 has mentioned.

Okay, thanks. Guess I'm still a little cloudy on all the terminology... squishes, platonic... wasn't real clear on it all. So platonic just means any friendship, between people of any gender? And a squish is just really, really wanting to be friends with... anyone?

Yeah, I get really drawn to certain people and just want to... bask in their spirit, I guess.

And a squish is just really, really wanting to be friends with... anyone?

Yup, and platonic attraction is sort of like being bffs--the closest it can get without being romantic.

Is there a name for something in between a crush and a squish?

Hmm, not sure. But I have experienced it before.

A squoosh! Actually I have no idea. :lol:

Squishes? That is the term occasionally used to define platonicattraction or ‘friendship crushes’.

I always felt that squishes & friendship crushes were 2 totally different things.

I believe it's called "squash", although I can't find the term on AVENwiki. It would mean a sort of platonic crush, as in, wanting to form an exclusive relationship of a non-romantic nature with that person. It differs from crushes for the lack of the romantic component, and from squishes for the exclusiveness of the bond, I guess.

never odd or even

for me, crushes and squishes = same thing. i really cant tell them apart. i think. if i get close enough to be romantic with them then its a plus, i'm usually ok with anything in this regard; i just want to be with them, think of them all the time and want to hack their brains out :lol:

i say this because if i think someone is interesting i'm drawn to them. if i experience the above its like i go into overdrive in every way, although i hide it as much as possible. i cant tell if the attraction is friendly or romantic or what, the only thing i know is that its all consuming and i want to run away from it at all costs..... i rarely succeed :P

For me, a squish is when I have a crush on someone but isn't interested in being in a relationship with that person. If that makes any sense :P

For me, a squish is when I have a crush on someone but isn't interested in being in a relationship with that person. If that makes any sense :P

Me too!