Petition linked to twitter

I don't understand why this petition includes Facebook. Facebook doesn't even have a section for sexual orientation at all. It has "Interested in", with checkboxes next to "Men" and "Women". If you're ace, just leave those boxes blank. Or, better yet, use the biography section to say whatever you want about yourself.

• 2 weeks later...

"Interested in" is a rather loose definition... I'm heteroromantic but I keep my "interested" box empty on facebook, not because I don't want a romantic relationship, just because I don't want a sexual one and it feels like that part of one's profile relates to the standard kind of relationships. I would definitely favour including the possibility to select one's sexual orientation AND romantic orientation on fb. That'd be much more precise.

The "interested in" on Facebook is interesting. I am interested in a lot of things--science, history, art, reading, old houses and antiques, wine, brewing, sci-fi, etc.

But, yes, for Facebok, the only option is to leave it blank. :mellow:

Member33070

I don't like the leaving-it-blank bit on Facebook. I mean, it's an interesting concept that works well for straight folks, gay folks, and bi folks, but it doesn't accurately represent asexuality or pansexuality.

Leaving it blank, people forget to look for it or think you didn't fill it out.

Checking both if one is pan might make people think one is just bisexual.

It's an interesting concept but...I think it could still be tweaked a bit to work better.

I'll sign that petition. :)

Edit: I'm stupid and can't find it. Where is it? :wacko:

Edit: I'm stupid and can't find it. Where is it? :wacko:

I would sign it, too, but I believe that you need to sign on to Twitter. I do not have an account and thus cannot access it either.

AmoebaAlice

Personally I think the 'interested in' section on facebook needs to be changed so it says what their alluding to, sexuality. Weeks ago I sent a suggestion to facebook asking them to add in the other preferences under that section, because in broad terms, it's a bit biasd. I never got word back.. though I didn't expect to.

If someone really wanted to get nit-picky, one might be able to imply that facebook as an organization doesn't recognize other sexualities outside gay or straight or bi.

But then, I'm not really a nit-picky person. It would be nice though, if that section was a little more in-depth.

In my case, I'd like to check both male and female, but then everyone on my list would believe I'm bisexual, when I'm bi-romantic. It would lead to confusion, and many conversations to explain the other side that doesn't have a checkbox. Which is why I leave it blank.

Member33070

^ Exactly. I have my "interested in men" box checked, and the closest I might be to that is "demi-hetero-romantic". I'm thinking I might be closer to "demi-bi-romantic" or "demi-pan-romantic" though.

I would really like a write-in box, where we could just describe ourselves. Ooh, or two boxes, one with sexual and one with romantic orientation! ^_^