Why Do Most People Seem To Think That They Need Romance To Be Happy?

HeadInTheClouds

HeadInTheClouds

Why do most people seem to think that they need romance to be happy? I feel like so many of my friends feel the need for sex or a significant other to be happy? Are friends, family, and all other good things things that fill life not enough? I mean, I understand that biologically many have "needs", but I mean, otherwise?

I mean, I get that people want love and I want it too, but why are so many people hung over on the concept? Do you think that people are hung over on the idea because of the media, books, movies, and T.V. show's portrayal of love?

I am really try to understand this, but I'm kind of stuck. Is anyone else able to explain it to me or does anyone else think the same thing?

Why do most people seem to think that they need romance to be happy? I feel like so many of my friends feel the need for sex or a significant other to be happy? Are friends, family, and all other good things things that fill life not enough? I mean, I understand that biologically many have "needs", but I mean, otherwise?

As I understand it, using myself as an example, it's like my need to mother someone--they can't be fully emotionally fulfilled unless they have their romantic and sexual needs met, just as I can't be emotionally fulfilled unless I have someone to mother (thank God for guinea pigs!).

Ase of Spades

I can't speak for other romantics, but I want romance both for the emotional intimacy and because I'm afraid of being alone in the sense that I tend to be dependent on other people or a little clingy. To be honest, I'm actually even a little confused on whether I actually want a relationship or if I just want to have another person around. The idea of living alone doesn't appeal to me at all and actually frightens me a little, so I really want someone to be with me whether they're my SO or a roommate; I'd even be so bold as to say that I don't even have to necessarily like the other person. As pitiful as it sounds, I just want someone else there.

I think the main reason I want a romantic relationship is because my mind considers it something that's stronger and will last longer than anything else. I mean, if my roommate falls in love with someone and wants to spend more time with them, they might move out since they're not obligated to stay with me. If the roommate's a friend, then I wouldn't feel right latching onto them and possibly make them feel guilty for wanting to be with their partner, or feel obligated to keep me company like a lonely little kid. If me and the other person were in a relationship with each other, then they wouldn't leave because they'd want to stay with me and we'd be in love. Is that incredibly naive and kind of immature? Yeah, I don't doubt that for a second, but it's true.

I'm not sure that really helps much at all or anything, but I figured I would share my opinion. :)

I mean, I get that people want love and I want it too, but why are so many people hung over on the concept? Do you think that people are hung over on the idea because of the media, books, movies, and T.V. show's portrayal of love?

I am really try to understand this, but I'm kind of stuck. Is anyone else able to explain it to me or does anyone else think the same thing?

There are a lot of great things that come out of romantic love, especially when it works right. You get backup - someone to be there for you, for you to be there for, someone who might let you down, but that will always be there as long as life continues. There's a lot of security in having a romantic relationship. Not to mention, when it comes to social institutions, the idea of a having a long-term romantic partner is pretty much one of the major bulletpoints for the "Successful average life" checklist. It's not only a personal need, but a need that is given even more weight by the fact that, to many people, being single is the same as being a failure.

While it's true that most people need "romance" to be happy, I think companionship is a huge factor in that need. Let's face it, most people don't want to live alone and many more fear living alone. It's this huge dread. Most sexuals would prefer to live with a platonic roommate than live alone, though the ideal situation would be to live with a lover or spouse.

And the media plays a huge part in all this. The vast majority of movies and songs center around sex/love.

I don't need it. Quite happy and fulfilled in my single periods.

If you're already happy, though, falling in love can really ice your :cake:

P.

Part of it I'm sure is biological, but I think the way relationships are typically viewed in society plays a big role in it for some people too. For example, it's not uncommon for people put their significant other before their friends, etc, so people could want to have someone for whom they will be their Number One. If someone's friends were all in happy relationships, that could also fuel the desire to be in a relationship too, or the belief that they can't be really happy unless they're with someone, if they feel left out or like something's "wrong" with them.

I... don't really understand it myself, to be honest. Do I like the idea of romance (aside from whether or not I'm aromantic)? Sure. Do I need it to be happy? Absolutely not. I mean, the way some people seem to need relationships to validate their own self-worth just makes no logical sense to me.

Why do most people seem to think that they need romance to be happy? I feel like so many of my friends feel the need for sex or a significant other to be happy?

I've never been able to understand this. Or, rather, I've seen it so much everywhere that I understand that people have this need, but I have no idea what it's about. I think I get the part of wanting to date someone you like. But just wanting to date? I mean, wouldn't you need to have someone to date, or can you just go randomly around wanting to date until you bump into someone or --?

I suppose I just can't see what additional value a romantic relationship could bring to my life, or to anyone's for that matter. Then again I don't understand most of social relationships at any rate, so I might not be the best judge in these things. (No, I've never been in love, nor do I want to. It sounds scary and unfamiliar, but, mostly, I just have all these other things to do, I wouldn't have the time for it. It would completely mess my schedules, and we can't have that.)

But I believe that media portrayal is a big part of the whole phenomenon. We're indoctrinated into this system where romantic love is something we must aspire for, and if someone doesn't, they've just given up, even though they shouldn't, because there's someone out there for them, too! And if there isn't they can (and should!) modify themselves so that there will be! I never got what the fuss was about. Isn't it also improbable that two people would actually fall in love? I've always felt intuitively that this would be the case, but I gather that there is some chemical interaction at play also, so I suppose my intuition is off (again).

(I mean that if person A fall in love with person B, what are the odds of person B also falling in love with person A? I think this was the main problem in my understanding of the situation. I used to treat these things as unrelated events, but I've lately heard that this is actually not the case? Puzzlement abound.)

I think some people genuinely do need romance in order to be happy - or, at least, it helps a lot. And I don't think it's necessarily wrapped up with sex either (at least not completely), even amongst sexual people. Like other posters have said, it can be more about companionship and sharing your life with someone. I can understand that, and although I don't consider it to be something I desperately need (i.e. I don't think I could never be happy without it), I think it makes life happier - for me, personally. But I don't expect everyone to agree :)

Ged of Earthsea

But I believe that media portrayal is a big part of the whole phenomenon. We're indoctrinated into this system where romantic love is something we must aspire for, and if someone doesn't, they've just given up, even though they shouldn't, because there's someone out there for them, too! And if there isn't they can (and should!) modify themselves so that there will be! I never got what the fuss was about. Isn't it also improbable that two people would actually fall in love? I've always felt intuitively that this would be the case, but I gather that there is some chemical interaction at play also, so I suppose my intuition is off (again).

(I mean that if person A fall in love with person B, what are the odds of person B also falling in love with person A? I think this was the main problem in my understanding of the situation. I used to treat these things as unrelated events, but I've lately heard that this is actually not the case? Puzzlement abound.)

There may well be media-induced longing here. I wonder if it is cross-cultural though. Arabic and Indian movies and T.V. series have a huge amount of sappy romance as well, but the romantic expectations of those people seem quite different (my conclusion is from personal experience and having read studies of what people expect from relationships/marriage in those cultures).

You have obviously thought much about the issue, so don't mind if what I say here is redundant. Human intuition is notoriously awful when dealing with probabilistic reasoning. The 'odds' intuition only applies to completely independent events and two people falling in love rarely is one. Attention, proximity, and hormones play a role in romantic attraction. It is shockingly unflattering how much our emotions boil down to biochemistry. It is known that dopamine, seratonin and oxytocin, to name a few 'chemicals', greatly influence romantic attraction. You can even try to engineer situations where a person's body naturally releases these hormones and they fall in love with you. It may even work. Almost the opposite of the situation you describe in that nothing is left to chance.

The American Heritage Dictionary defines "romance" thus:

1. A love affair.

2. Ardent emotional attachment or involvement between people; love: They kept the romance alive in their marriage for 35 years.

3. A strong, sometimes short-lived attachment, fascination, or enthusiasm for something: a childhood romance with the sea.

I shall spare you the definition of "love". Suffice it to say, "it's complicated".

There sure are a lot of ways to form "ardent emotional attachment or involvement". Even sticking to the ones commonly depicted in media, you've got clueless high-school "puppy love," you've got torrid affairs that may or may not be licit, you've got "courtly" love characterized by poetry and flowers...

That word "romance" covers a great deal. Therefore, the chances are rather high that it covers something or other that a given person genuinely does need to be happy.

Probably a lot of people don't really care about the emotional connections implied by "romance," but have a fetish for the imagery.

HeadInTheClouds

Companionship does seem appealing- There will likely be a point where the majority of my friends will have significant others, and the roommates that I once had, will probably move out. In that way, I feel like I need to have someone so that I am not alone. But then again, it's not like I particularly want a romance. I dislike being alone and I do have a fear of it- being alone both in the physical sense and relationship (family and friends) sense. For those reasons, the idea frustrates me... :wacko:

I guess that my next question is, how do you find a person when you don't particularly want to search for someone and when you don't want to have sex? Those "conditions" seem to reduce the "opportunities" and "candidates". I mean, I know that being Ace doesn't affect my ability to "love", in a general sense, but again I am kind of frustrated, but that might be too strong of a word...

Thanks for the replies; they've been extremely helpful! :)

There may well be media-induced longing here. I wonder if it is cross-cultural though. Arabic and Indian movies and T.V. series have a huge amount of sappy romance as well, but the romantic expectations of those people seem quite different (my conclusion is from personal experience and having read studies of what people expect from relationships/marriage in those cultures).

I suppose this difference may depend on the other differences between cultures. At least I've been hearing all through my educational life that whereas western cultures are individualistic, eastern cultures are, what's-it-called, communal? We're taught from an early age to look for personal happiness, and romantic love is presented to us as the highest pinnacle of this, while in many eastern countries arranged marriages are still common and so forth.

I've also heard that romantic love is a somewhat new invention, which I find believable, since it wouldn't have made much sense for most of the history of the species to go around looking for the "right one".

(I have no idea why I even wrote the odds nonsense. I suppose I was too tired to realise that I was not, for once, writing an email to my roommate (though we never communicate extensively in English), and thought that I was being witty.)

This is an excellent question & applies to both asexuals and sexuals alike. I've recently decided that I AM *sexual* (NOT asexual) and this only confused me in some ways, because I can relate to both! But I have to say, I thought just like you when I was younger.. I'm 26 now... and up until maybe only last year I thought I was fine being independent and on my own, and not needing romance. Or so I thought. I had gone on dates here & there (online dating & other), had crushes, flirtations, etc. Not necessarily relationships (although I had 2 short-lasted ones), but little romantic spurts. I didn't think they were necessary. But then just this year I realized.. they were. I was crumbling. Becoming depressed... I didn't necessarily NEED relationships per se - I had fulfilling work, challenges, some friends to occupy my time, and family - but I *needed* those moments of romantic attention, crushes, etc... that's a feeling you can't get from just friends. At least I needed it, and I don't think it's necessarily because I'm 'sexual' but because I'm 'romantic' (in AVEN language)... like most humans, I do crave that emotional connection you get from someone like a romantic partner. It's odd though, that I would find crushes & the act of PURSUING a relationship or significant other to often be enough.. I'd still be depressed if the relationship doesn't work out (as it always happened.. :( but just the light, butterfly feeling I get from knowing I'm capturing a man's attention, from being treated.. .it elevates my mood. It boosted my self-esteem. And I've talked with other sexuals, who have higher self-esteem than me but even THEY say that their self-perception & esteem falters if they are single for too long, or don't get sex or dates... whatever it may be. We all have our needs. For me, I realized I don't have a sexual need (I have a very low libido..) BUT I do have some levels of intimate & emotional needs I need fulfilled or I will get very depressed. You may have seen my postings on depression recently and I think it's related to this lack of romance/relationship in my life. Strong friendships can help, but they're not enough.

I think some people "need" romance to be happy because they fear that they wouldn't be accepted by society if they didn't conform and play along. I also think that there can be people who "need" romance to be happy because they have an innate desire for romance: with these people romance defines and controls them, without a doubt. Either way, with both types of people, they are dependent on an external source to make them "happy", which I think is emotionally unhealthy.

Then there is another group of people, who don't bow before the expectations of society and recognize that happyness doesn't come from an external source, it comes from within a person. I do believe that in order be happy with yourself, you will have to accept yourself, something that you can't do if you are focused on external distractions.

Call me weird, but the only romance that I see worth it is romance with yourself. Develop a relationship with yourself and call no one else a significant other :)

I think some people "need" romance to be happy because they fear that they wouldn't be accepted by society if they didn't conform and play along. I also think that there can be people who "need" romance to be happy because they have an innate desire for romance: with these people romance defines and controls them, without a doubt. Either way, with both types of people, they are dependent on an external source to make them "happy", which I think is emotionally unhealthy.

Then there is another group of people, who don't bow before the expectations of society and recognize that happyness doesn't come from an external source, it comes from within a person. I do believe that in order be happy with yourself, you will have to accept yourself, something that you can't do if you are focused on external distractions.

Call me weird, but the only romance that I see worth it is romance with yourself. Develop a relationship with yourself and call no one else a significant other :)

i agree with you 200%! exactly my believes given the fact that I have little to none strong emotions and attachments to anyone. My best relationship in life that absolutely completes me is me, myself and I. I am so in love, so happy and so balanced and nonchalant. But I do respect that some people just have a romantic nature and they need a outlet for it.....it's like how some people can't live without rice in their diet while some don't consume carbs at all. I pity those that are in relationships while they look down on my singleness.

i agree with you 200%! exactly my believes given the fact that I have little to none strong emotions and attachments to anyone. My best relationship in life that absolutely completes me is me, myself and I. I am so in love, so happy and so balanced and nonchalant. But I do respect that some people just have a romantic nature and they need a outlet for it.....it's like how some people can't live without rice in their diet while some don't consume carbs at all. I pity those that are in relationships while they look down on my singleness.

I wouldn't give the time of the day to those who would look down on me for simply being true to myself. Pity comes very close to the emotion I feel towards them as well.

Isn't one's personal happyness or contentment more important than social conformity, especially when the single status does no harm to anyone? Some people might be lucky in that they can combine personal happyness and a life style that society accepts, but I know I am not fortunate in such a way. In fact, I think few are.

Some people need certain things to be happy. What you want/need and what they want/need are totally different things. To be happy, I need room to think, some sort of challenge to be working on at all times, and usually some sort of instrument or painting set. Some people need to be around people at all times and could not care less about playing the piano. I don't judge what makes somebody happy as long as nobody is harmed by the happiness. If in order to be happy, somebody has to obsessively organize everything in their sight, so be it. If in order to be happy, somebody has to have the approval of their peers regarding everything that they do, so be it. Some people think they'd be happy if they had an easy job that gives them loads of money. I'd be happier with a challenging, interesting job that pays an average amount. Whatever. What makes somebody else happy may not be what makes me happy, but I understand that my likes and dislikes are in no way the same as everybody else's. I don't think it has anything to do with society accepting them or not in most cases. It's all about personal preference.

I wouldn't give the time of the day to those who would look down on me for simply being true to myself. Pity comes very close to the emotion I feel towards them as well.

Isn't one's personal happyness or contentment more important than social conformity, especially when the single status does no harm to anyone? Some people might be lucky in that they can combine personal happyness and a life style that society accepts, but I know I am not fortunate in such a way. In fact, I think few are.

you are absolutely right....happiness is a one man thing, i dont need a world to approve me. Single rules

tumblrlcgayrxo0x1qbe05c.jpg

From my experiences media portrayal of love is rather unrealistic but then again those people are actors who are just feeding the studio / record company's desire to attract patrons.

Ged of Earthsea

I've also heard that romantic love is a somewhat new invention, which I find believable, since it wouldn't have made much sense for most of the history of the species to go around looking for the "right one".

There is enough music and literature to indicate that romantic love has been around for a few centuries, if not one or two millenia. With respect to 'history of the species', that's not much time, but I expect that much human-centric behaviour is quite new. The gestation period and time-to-adulthood of a species should be accounted for here. When these times are long, it does make sense for mates or a community to stick together. Romantic love would come in handy. To refine your point, I agree that one can question looking for the 'right one' but I also think that having been with a partner, developing the feeling they are the 'right one' has its advantages.

Some people need certain things to be happy. What you want/need and what they want/need are totally different things. To be happy, I need room to think, some sort of challenge to be working on at all times, and usually some sort of instrument or painting set. Some people need to be around people at all times and could not care less about playing the piano. I don't judge what makes somebody happy as long as nobody is harmed by the happiness. If in order to be happy, somebody has to obsessively organize everything in their sight, so be it. If in order to be happy, somebody has to have the approval of their peers regarding everything that they do, so be it. Some people think they'd be happy if they had an easy job that gives them loads of money. I'd be happier with a challenging, interesting job that pays an average amount. Whatever. What makes somebody else happy may not be what makes me happy, but I understand that my likes and dislikes are in no way the same as everybody else's. I don't think it has anything to do with society accepting them or not in most cases. It's all about personal preference.

Good point. :)

I have often wondered this myself. Each person is an independent entity, and no two people are alike, just like fingerprints. I mean, if people are happy with romance in their lives, then I am happy for them for obtaining what makes them happy.

What really makes my head spin is that some people act like it is a tragedy should someone come along and say, "I don't need romance in order to be happy." It's just that because romance is such a wonderful thing for them, they can't imagine life without it, be it for themselves or anyone else.

love is enought for me, love from family, love from friends im already happy with that but a romance would be a nice bonus.

Yep, it's really more of a luxury - like money, music, clothes, and good beer. You don't really need it, but damn is life awesome when it's there.

I pity those that are in relationships while they look down on my singleness.

You aren't better than them. They don't need your pity. They also probably don't look down in your singleness. I don't give a rat's ass if someone is single or in a relationship as long as they're cool and happy with their life.

I was about to say that but I thought it might sound too cynical. ^_^ But seriously, in many cases I think it's true. It's kind of the same reason my mom is upset that I don't want to marry. (That is, my mom thinks you have to marry/have kids to be "normal." Since I don't have either, she thinks I'm a failure, and by extension, that she is a failure for raising someone not "normal." I'm not paranoid, she's actually said this. Her self-worth seems to hinge on being normal and raising normal kids, who will raise normal kids, as nauseam.)

I don't think the idea of wanting to be in a relationship is unhealthy, just that they project their fears on others and place too great an importance on it. I also really can't understand the "fear of being alone." It's hard to think of a concept more alien to me.

So to answer the question, some people probably dO need it to be happy, but there are others reasons that they might just THINK they need it to be happy or to appear normal. And others just enjoy the emotional part of it and want companionship. They probably don't need it, they just want it.

I don't give a rat's ass if someone is single or in a relationship as long as they're cool and happy with their life.

This! Right here describes my exact outlook on life.

It is very much like whether or not someone likes to have a beer every once in a while. I love beer, and I hardly know of anyone over the age of 21 who doesn't drink, but I never look down on them or see them as being inferior in any way.

I was about to say that but I thought it might sound too cynical. ^_^

Pfft, this site is actually one of the very few places on the net where I feel I can speak my mind, without constantly having to worry about excommunication ;)

Whether in real life or online, people usually don't like opinions that aren't held by most people in the community because the need to seem "normal" is so strong.

It is very much like whether or not someone likes to have a beer every once in a while. I love beer, and I hardly know of anyone over the age of 21 who doesn't drink, but I never look down on them or see them as being inferior in any way.

Hmm, I don't drink (apart from a glass of champagne at an official celebration once a year or so, to not offend the host :rolleyes: ), and in fact most people I know don't drink either. But yeah, I agree that it really doesn't matter who does or doesn't do this or that. The important thing is that you're happy with yourself.

Hmm, I don't drink (apart from a glass of champagne at an official celebration once a year or so, to not offend the host :rolleyes: ), and in fact most people I know don't drink either. But yeah, I agree that it really doesn't matter who does or doesn't do this or that. The important thing is that you're happy with yourself.

Exactly my point, Samael! You nailed it once again. :cake: for you!

Archived