Passive Romantics?

ThisIsAnInactiveAccount

ThisIsAnInactiveAccount

Okay, so I've been pondering the possibilities of there being different types of romantics for quite some time now.

I know there's aromantics, heteroromantics, homoromantics, etc., but what about passive romantics?

By this, I mean those who desire romantic relationships, do not actively pursue them, but are open to a relationship if one arises. Ergo, they're a passive romantic.(Or would that be a "greyromantic", or just aromanticism in denial? XD) If such a thing does exist, the opposite must be true and someone could be a, well, proactive romantic.

So I guess my question is, Does such a thing as a "passive romantic" exist?

I always kinda figured that if "Indifferent-A's" exist sexually, then it can work for aromanticism. That's how I see myself in that respect. I don't actively want a relationship, but I'm not opposed to the idea either. So I'd say it's possible.

That actually describes me pretty well. I like the idea of being in a romantic relationship (most of the time), but I don't actively seek anything out. I usually describe myself as demiromantic.

Okay, so I've been pondering the possibilities of there being different types of romantics for quite some time now.

I know there's aromantics, heteroromantics, homoromantics, etc., but what about passive romantics?

By this, I mean those who desire romantic relationships, do not actively pursue them, but are open to a relationship if one arises. Ergo, they're a passive romantic.(Or would that be a "greyromantic", or just aromanticism in denial? XD) If such a thing does exist, the opposite must be true and someone could be a, well, proactive romantic.

So I guess my question is, Does such a thing as a "passive romantic" exist?

Perhaps I would adequately fall into such a definition (passive romantic). I do not actively seek a relationship, but am open to one, and in a way desire one. 'Officially', I'm not so sure it's true terminology, but then again, I don't see what's stopping me from slapping such a label on myself. ;)

ThisIsAnInactiveAccount

I always kinda figured that if "Indifferent-A's" exist sexually, then it can work for aromanticism. That's how I see myself in that respect. I don't actively want a relationship, but I'm not opposed to the idea either. So I'd say it's possible.

Oh, the wonderful powers of logic! Obviously, I was running along the same lines.

On another note, I find it rather ironic that asexuals are always on the forefront of studying relationships and coming up with new terminology for them. (or so it seems. XD)

On another note, I find it rather ironic that asexuals are always on the forefront of studying relationships and coming up with new terminology for them. (or so it seems. XD)

I do that with my friends and my family! People ask me for relationship advice all the time and I'm like, "Are you high? I've never been in one!" Looks like everyone wants an objective opinion and I do the job perfectly.

Back to the point, yes, I fit the passive romantic mold. I'm fine with that :D

I see the irony as well. Then again, we are the one's who happen to actively seek understanding because of our complications with relationships (perhaps not 'complications' for all, but I consider them so). I take great interest in relationships despite the fact I've never had one, and my interest doesn't stem purely from desiring one either. Why do I preoccupy myself within the realm of love and relationship? I honestly have no idea. I find it all very intriguing though. (I happened to read a whole chapter about relationships in my psychology textbook for fun just today)

However, I'm more than willing to invent new words if it aids me and others in figuring ourselves out. I think the term 'passive romantic' and the definition (or implied definition) you gave fits me. I'm hetero-romantic (as far as I know), asexual, but passive in my romanticism.

ThisIsAnInactiveAccount

I do that with my friends and my family! People ask me for relationship advice all the time and I'm like, "Are you high? I've never been in one!" Looks like everyone wants an objective opinion and I do the job perfectly.

I get asked my friends for relationship advise all the time. I do not understand this. XD

I see the irony as well. Then again, we are the one's who happen to actively seek understanding because of our complications with relationships (perhaps not 'complications' for all, but I consider them so). I take great interest in relationships despite the fact I've never had one, and my interest doesn't stem purely from desiring one either. Why do I preoccupy myself within the realm of love and relationship? I honestly have no idea. I find it all very intriguing though. (I happened to read a whole chapter about relationships in my psychology textbook for fun just today)

However, I'm more than willing to invent new words if it aids me and others in figuring ourselves out. I think the term 'passive romantic' and the definition (or implied definition) you gave fits me. I'm hetero-romantic (as far as I know), asexual, but passive in my romanticism.

I'm more than willing to invent new words if it helps others as well. Especially if such words have the capacity to apply to communities outside of the asexual one.

That sounds like me. But I'm probably more of a flighty romantic. In theory, I'm open to the idea of a relationship and am a passive romantic, but in practice when it sincerely comes up I'm like "Oh... hey... yeah, I've got a train to catch... sooo... bye. *runs away*"

That describes me pretty well too. I just won't put in the effort and there aren't a lot of people I get interested in so I am quite fine being single these days.

ThisIsAnInactiveAccount

That sounds like me. But I'm probably more of a flighty romantic. In theory, I'm open to the idea of a relationship and am a passive romantic, but in practice when it sincerely comes up I'm like "Oh... hey... yeah, I've got a train to catch... sooo... bye. *runs away*"

That's me, but usually after a month into any given romantic relationship.

I'm pretty much like, "Look at my wrist, I suddenly have more interesting things to do!"

Well, the term does fit some. I, regardless how attracted I am, don't pursue romantic relationships. Even when I am attracted, I may decide to say no to the person if they initiate one unless I feel I have a good enough reason to think it will not be a waste of time. Wouldn't call myself a closeted aromantic, though. More like extremely skeptical/cautious.

Amputation Defenestration

I've been calling myself semi-romantic, which I think is the quirkyalone in me, but it could also be described this way. Or Ally's way, technically. Anytime it looks as though an opportunity is about to arise, I skedaddle.

If there is such a thing then I think I became one during secondary school because I was so apprehensive (or rather, learned that I 'had' to be so apprehensive) of the consequences of pursuing a same-sex romantic relationship and getting it wrong. (Consequences no worse than ostracism and intense disapproval, but still, not fun.) I'm still ridiculously bad at telling a woman I'm interested in her (and all the more so now I know an awkward conversation about dis/interest in sex is likely to follow shortly afterwards), so functionally I suppose that's still what I am...

TreacleSponge

If "passive romantic" describes you, and you exist, then passive romantics exist. Easy peasy, you don't need somebody else to tell it's official.

Go science!

This is exactly how I feel! Except for that one time when I went with it, but the whole time I was looking for a way out.

Sleeping Beauty

I consider myself romantic because I feel romantically attracted to people (maybe too often :mellow:) but I don't actively pursue relationships and I've avoided them for the biggest part of my life.

. . .but there are sounds

If "passive romantic" describes you, and you exist, then passive romantics exist. Easy peasy, you don't need somebody else to tell it's official.

Go science!

Science indeed! (also, linguistics)

That really is all an identity is, a word sign denoting a way of being. I really appreciate seeing people working to cut through the over bearing definitions that people try to impose of identity. : D

I'm absolutely a passive-romantic which makes me seem aromantic. If logically I don't see the potential relationship working out in the context of my life, then I forget about it pronto. But mostly I'm semiromantic.

I identify as grey-romantic because I believe I would enjoy a romantic relationship with a specific person and I sometimes experience romantic attraction, but I hate the idea of "dating" or always being in a relationship. I don't need to be in a relationship or have a significant other. I would just like to, sort of. And it would heavily depend on the person. I don't actively seek relationships. All else aside, I'm content with my life without a romantic relationship, but it would be a nice supplement if ever I was part of one.

I'm a passive romantic and a passive sexual. I love daydreaming about being in a mostly romantic relationship but I never pursue them (same with sexual stuff) I can't imagine myself being the same person in my daydreams in real life. Of course I don't have social anxiety in most of my daydreams.

It sounds like passive romantic denotes more of a behavioural identity than sexual/romantic. But it is a good descriptor, I like it.

I guess that makes me a passive demi-biromantic asexual.

I for one believe that sex/romance is a characteristic that exists on a continuum. In other words I think it is totally normal (and perfectly ok!) to land anywhere along the spectrum. Yep, I do think that passive romance is absolutely a possibility one can identify with. Infact, I find myself close to this identity.

I love flirting with the opposite sex, but most of the time I find myself having no desire to take it further. Can't really give you a good explanation why, all I know is that if my body and mind are not into it, there is no point in pursuing something that obviously is not meant to be. Haha, I just am one of those people who enjoys the occasional attention, but who VERY RARELY falls for someone.

ThisIsAnInactiveAccount

It sounds like passive romantic denotes more of a behavioural identity than sexual/romantic. But it is a good descriptor, I like it.

I guess that makes me a passive demi-biromantic asexual.

I believe it does describe a behavioural identity as well, but it's hella handy. XD

I would fall into the category of passive romantic. I'm open to the idea of a romantic relationship, and in fact would like to be in one. However, I don't feel any worse off for not having one, and can be quite happy and fulfilled in being single, so I am not taking any great efforts to look for someone to be with.

Sometimes I wonder if sex is just an "issue" related to animal instinct. Maybe many people are getting aware of the fact that this is instict is not so strong among them while romantic attraction is what drives us.

I mean when you listen to a beautiful song, when you watch an intense movie ect. ect. you will no doubts make an idea to yourself of what LOVE may be for you, what does LOVE means for you.

Anyway I suppose many people feel this feeling we call love together or after the ANIMAL INSTINCT we call SEX, but maybe many people just aren't able to feel this strong instinct and feel like they are strange in this world.

To the point, I mean that a life without love has no sense. I can accept a life without sex, of course it can be frustrating or just strange, but not a life without love, whatever this word can mean to you.

Archived