Asexual Expansion on Wikipedia

standup

Hi everyone! I'm fairly new here, and while I am not asexual myself, I strongly support your community and would like to contribute in any way I can to asexual visibility.

I took the liberty of adding "the black ring" to the Wikimedia Commons page of Sexual Identity Symbols, here:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Sexual_identity_symbols#Other_emblems

The file comes from this thread. (I tried to make the image a little clearer, hope that's okay.)

Also, if possible, I'd really like to help out by adding other AVEN symbols and such to the "actual" Wiki page for Asexuality (here), but first I was wondering if you guys have yet picked out a flag to represent your orientation. I found this thread about it, but as far as I can tell no decision was made. Could a poll possibly be created to choose a winner of the choices, could I try to help design one, etc etc? Personally I really like some that were created already. It seems that the black/white spectrum is the most closely related color scheme to asexuality (it's heavily associated by this point, I think) so it's probably a good idea to stick to a greyscale flag.

Other than that... feedback please? I want to spread the word about asexuality and Wikipedia seems like a really good place to do it. :) A flag only seems like the next logical step, amirite?

Also, if I were to add symbols/flags/etc to the Wiki page, what would you want as a community? I assume:

- the AVEN triangle

- Ace of Spades?

- a black ring? (does anyone have a good quality picture that isn't copyrighted?)

- a flag?

If anyone has the AVEN triangle all by itself, could you please post it? I need a nice image to use.

/discuss!

There was that thread about making a flag about a year ago with possible candidates, but it sort of dissolved into arguments and loss of interest. The ring and the triangle seem to be fairly standard, though.

I'm changing the half filled heart to Demisexual, if anyone cares.

Wow! That is so nice of you. We should add the triangel, as that is the best and most recognizable symbol we have.

For flag ideas, I think we should make a new thread/ poll about one. I wasn't fond of the choices on the other thread, so I think we should consider new designs along with the old (and ask the original designers if they want to make any edits to their designs) along with new designs.

I was reading that other thread you linked to ( and I will read more when i'm on my computer and not phone) but I liked this idea:

I think we need a big catchy symbol, akin to the rainbow flag. And we already have one: (I mean this in all seriousness) CAKE! How about a flag with a slice of cake on it? It's cheery and would help dispel the notion that we're all a bunch of dour celibates.

:D Amusing, funny, and memorable. Along with uniqe. Any way, will post again when I can read more.

Wow! That is so nice of you. We should add the triangel, as that is the best and most recognizable symbol we have.

For flag ideas, I think we should make a new thread/ poll about one. I wasn't fond of the choices on the other thread, so I think we should consider new designs along with the old (and ask the original designers if they want to make any edits to their designs) along with new designs.

I was reading that other thread you linked to ( and I will read more when i'm on my computer and not phone) but I liked this idea:

I think we need a big catchy symbol, akin to the rainbow flag. And we already have one: (I mean this in all seriousness) CAKE! How about a flag with a slice of cake on it? It's cheery and would help dispel the notion that we're all a bunch of dour celibates.

:D Amusing, funny, and memorable. Along with uniqe. Any way, will post again when I can read more.

Yeah, gray/black/white/purple are okay for something small like bracelets, but I wasn't fond of the idea for any of the flags either. Somehow those colors just seem kind of depressing on something as large as a flag. I like the cake flag idea though. :D

I like the cake flag idea though. :D

A cake flag! Maybe we can all agree on a flag this time. I just saw kakkobeans' video of the San Francisco Pride and there was a picture of a shirt with an awesome piece of cake on it. Maybe we can steal the design. :ph34r:

Mmmmmm a purple flag with a white cake on it. Yum!

Yeah, gray/black/white/purple are okay for something small like bracelets, but I wasn't fond of the idea for any of the flags either. Somehow those colors just seem kind of depressing on something as large as a flag. I like the cake flag idea though. :D

Yeah, that was my issue as well, they are depressing looking.

I like the cake flag idea though. :D

A cake flag! Maybe we can all agree on a flag this time. I just saw kakkobeans' video of the San Francisco Pride and there was a picture of a shirt with an awesome piece of cake on it. Maybe we can steal the design. :ph34r:

Mmmmmm a purple flag with a white cake on it. Yum!

Or a flag shaped like a piece of cake, that's what I was thinking when I read that post.

Though your idea is nice as well!

Should I open a new flag thread or does someone else want to do it? I think it's an important symbol to have, but that's just meee.

I have a feeling if we started the flags again, we'd just get the same result. We did seem to agree on bracelets being purple/black/grey/white so perhaps it could be along those lines, but my protest was that, although black/grey/white has symbolism, putting it on a flag without colour makes it awfully depressing and I don't want to wander around with a miserable monochrome flag. Anyways...

The thing about the AVEN triangle is that it isn't an asexual symbol, it's an AVEN symbol, if you understand that. AVEN is for asexuals, but not all asexuals are AVENites.

I have a feeling if we started the flags again, we'd just get the same result. We did seem to agree on bracelets being purple/black/grey/white so perhaps it could be along those lines, but my protest was that, although black/grey/white has symbolism, putting it on a flag without colour makes it awfully depressing and I don't want to wander around with a miserable monochrome flag. Anyways...

The thing about the AVEN triangle is that it isn't an asexual symbol, it's an AVEN symbol, if you understand that. AVEN is for asexuals, but not all asexuals are AVENites.

True. I think having purple in the flag would be a good idea. And yes, people may not come to a decision, but I think it's worth a try, don't you? It's kind of like being a country without a name. There's not something to unify the people that solely represents it. I think it would be a very nice thing for the community to have.

And if the triangle isn't an asexual symbol then I'm not sure what is. :/ Do you have other suggestions?

As fun as cake is there's a big risk of people not taking us seriously if you put it on a flag and start waving it around.

I do have a triangle that's standing alone. It's got a purple boarder cause it was made to go on something white and needed something to separate the background and the top of the triangle:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v673/Neth/ace-logo4.png

As for a flag.... it's worth trying again. We've mostly figured out the colours of purple/black/grey/white and as long as those are used then I'm sure some people will be able to come up with something. So long as we put on the proviso that we don't have giant cakes or something on it. Jut colour blocks. Cause flags have a hard time looking like flags if they do have images on them, the ones who pull it off have seals on them. Which we don't have.

And I love cake as much as the next asexual, and it's good as a funny logo on shirts or badges or something but not a flag.

But yeah, we need to address the flag thing again at some point. And if we make sure there's purple in it, it could well turn out, if done right, not so dreary.

Thank you for the triangle!

I suppose I could open a new flag thread, then? I just made a little prototype in MS paint. :)

As fun as cake is there's a big risk of people not taking us seriously if you put it on a flag and start waving it around.

Yeah, they might think we're a bunch of master bakers... :P

Lord Happy Toast

For Wikipedia articles, you are supposed to have credible citations. I hadn't looked at the wikipedia article on asexuality in quite a while, but a lot of the more recent changes to it have not been for the better. AVEN threads are cited as sources. One citations is a dead link to another wiki. Someone put together a presentation about asexuality and cited it. Multiple times. The article is becoming an opinion piece.

I just checked the reference for James Barrie, and it is a book that does seem to mention him. The rule however, is that people must have said themselves that they are asexual. I've seen people trying to add and delete him for some time. Please, just delete him and never put him back. He's dead and isn't going to be saying that he's asexual. I also confess a certain degree of skepticism. I believe it was just last week that I was reading about whether pedophilia should be considered a mental disorder (link), and one of the authors, trying to decrease stigma attached to people attracted to children, mentioned Barrie as an example of someone primarily attracted to boys. My point, of course, is that asexuality is not his only suspected orientation. And more importantly, that for historical figures, such claims are based primarily on speculation.

I think, the problem is that there's not much info about asexuality outside of AVEN and the network around it. And to top it all off, this is where the community is based and where things are decided or evolve or express themselves and so on so forth. It's almost all HERE. And I know that presentation, that's by David Jay (the guy who created this place) and some of it is valid as something other than an opinion piece but also as a 'how AVEN got going and with it the asexual community' type thing.

It's editable though, so if you know of sources outside AVEN that cover the same stuff then.... feel free to put 'em in. I don't know of any.

That said, yeah, people trying to say 'this person WAS asexual' without said person saying so is stupid. Saying that they may have been less so, though I suppose that's not what's written.

I added a logo to this wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asexual_Visibility_and_Education_Network

And it's also on the commons site, next to the ring I added and the demisexual caption I edited: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Sexual_identity_symbols

As soon as we have an official, voted-upon flag, I'll add them to these pages (along with the triangle):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asexuality

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_symbols

And yeah, I'll try to keep the Asexuality page a little cleaner/neater/better informed. I'm new to editing Wikis so it's a learning experience, but it's getting done. If there is anything else you guys want me to do, let me know.

Edit: Just removed Barrie.

I think a black ring or circle on a purple flag or something would be cool. That way the black ring thing gains more visibility.

Archived