1. 1. Which colors should we use?

• Black
    • White
    • Gray
    • Purple
    • Something else (suggest below)

20thCenturyGirl

Hey

I found this neat website where this lady makes LGBT pride "friendship" style bracelets and sells them. She has gay pride, bi pride, trans pride.. Etc. But no asexual pride.

So I emailed her and she thanked me for the idea and asked which colors she should use. She told me it would not be possible to do triangles or any sort of custom design, so it's just down to color.

So, avenites! Any ideas?

Oh and here's the site: http://www.tiffanyspridebracelets.com/default.html

Josephine Stone

Hey

I found this neat website where this lady makes LGBT pride "friendship" style bracelets and sells them. She has gay pride, bi pride, trans pride.. Etc. But no asexual pride.

So I emailed her and she thanked me for the idea and asked which colors she should use. She told me it would not be possible to do triangles or any sort of custom design, so it's just down to color.

So, avenites! Any ideas?

Oh and here's the site: http://www.tiffanyspridebracelets.com/default.html

The rainbow or purple is gay pride...

pink, purple and blue for bi pride...

two light blue, two pink with white in the middle is for transgender

and all of them have meanings behind them.

That is really tricking question, what color would really help represent asexuality?

The Gay Pride Flag

"the colors were designed to symbolize: red (life), orange (healing), yellow (sunlight), green (nature), blue (harmony), and purple/violet (spirit)."

The Bisexual Flag

"The deep pink or rose stripe at the top of the flag represents the possibility of same gender attraction; the royal blue stripe at the bottom of the flag represents the possibility of different gender attraction and the stripes overlap in the central fifth of the flag to form a deep shade of lavender or purple, which represents the possibility of attraction anywhere along the entire gender spectrum. The flag's aspect ratio is not fixed but 2:3 and 3:5 are often used, in common with many other flags."

Transgender Flag

"The light blue is the traditional color for baby boys, pink is for girls, and the white in the middle is for those who are transitioning, those who feel they have a neutral gender or no gender, and those who are intersexed. The pattern is such that no matter which way you fly it, it will always be correct. This symbolizes us trying to find correctness in our own lives."

Seems to me the probable colors would be purple (because AVEN is (usually) purple); gray (for gray A's); black (for the black ring thing) and/or white (because black or white is either the absence of color or all colors combined), or some combination.

On the other hand I like greens and blues personally (just in general). :P

Seems to me the probable colors would be purple (because AVEN is (usually) purple); gray (for gray A's); black (for the black ring thing) and/or white (because black or white is either the absence of color or all colors combined), or some combination.

Agreed.

That sounds like a good idea! I agree with the gray, black, and white.

That sounds like a good idea! I agree with the gray, black, and white.

I would go with the purple, black, and gray. Having white is a little redundant considering the symbolism we want it to have. Plus, I love purple.

I'd say black and purple. The reason being that our website is usually "AVEN purple" the other choice is because our downward arrow is gray fade to black. They're not a horrible color combination...

I'd say black and purple. The reason being that our website is usually "AVEN purple" the other choice is because our downward arrow is gray fade to black. They're not a horrible color combination...

I like the purple, black, grey and white idea, it would look pretty. Purple, grey, and black would be cool too.

I just wish it was more colorful. :P Plus, I thought the rainbow thing was to represent all sexuality's, not just gays.

HMTQ - Madge

This. Especially white, gray, or black. I would personally love an asexuality bracelet. ^_^ It's awesome she's doing this!

Tyger Songbird

I also like purple and I would also say that grey would be a very good one as well. And since i also like black. I would say Purple, Black, and Grey. But that's my opinion.

lessthanlevi

I like the idea of purple, black, and grey. although black, white, and grey makes sense to me- sort of an absence of color = absence of sexual attraction thing? I dunno. what I do know is I'd love a bracelet.

Hmm... is there any symbolic reason behind AVEN's purple? I like it, and I wouldn't mind it being one of the colors, but it seems a bit strange to just say "We're purple because the website is purple" when the other colors are all representative of something. Perhaps it could be a symbol of romance to show that asexuality does not equal aromantic by default; purple IS a color of passion.

I really like white (absence of color) and grey (grey-A).

Well purple has become a colour a lot of us wear on Pride now. Which itself is mostly because of AVEN but it is taking that meaning outside of the forum. And sometimes symbolic stuff starts up that way you know.

Purple.... the reason it's often associated with royalty, the powerful and the rich is because for a long long time it was rare. Beying able to dye something purple was hard to do because the things to do with it were hard to get and rare and so it was costly. But I'm getting at the rare bit here, like us!

Honestly, purple has been our main colour in my head since not long after I realised I was asexual and joined this community. And, y'know, we do need some colour in there or else it's a bit dreary.

So I'm for the Purple/Black/Grey/White or Purple/Black/Grey thing which does make more sense to me cause I'm not sure what the white represents that the black doesn't. All of us different coming together and forming one group maybe like the colours of the spectrum together forming white? Which leaves the grey and the black to represent the demis/grey-aces and the aces.

I Like that, actually.

And just a couple ideas to see what that'd look like:

ace-band1.png

ace-band2.png

ace-band3.png

I like the idea of purple, grey and black. I like colour, so I tend to have an objection to when we think of merely black/grey/white on any item we discuss, that's so dull... so purple would be symbolic of AVEN (as someone said, we seem to have acquired it for Pride and stuff already) and the grey area and black for the ace ring... AVEN symbolism :)

Just looking at the designs, having white around does make it look, well, less depressing too. And gives more pattern options (I'm.... weird like that) though I've had a go at some with no white in 'em which are bellow.

Y'know, one day we all need to come up with a flag or something. We have the AVEN triangle as the basic logo with the Ace of Spades/Hearts close behind, most seem to agree on purple/black/grey and there's some who like white and some who don't. But no flag, we should make one!

Anyway:

ace-band4.png

ace-band5.png

ace-band6.png

There have been a few threads about flags and they never concluded because no one managed to agree on the same flag. There were lots of designs, lots of preferences and a lot of people who didn't like a lot of them, a lot of debate, and no one making a final decision.

Haha I just realized I had it backwards when I was thinking of white as the absence of color. It was late!

I like these two the best so far ---v

ace-band1.png

ace-band4.png

Like you said, the white makes it a bit less depressing, but the color doesn't seem to have as much of a meaning for us as black, grey, and purple do. Just to clarify, I wasn't trying to say to NOT do purple, I think of it as our color too. ;) I was just trying to see if there was some kind of deeper symbolism for it so when people ask we can say "Oh the purple stands for such-and-such" instead of "That's the color of the website".

I just made my own bracelet by weaving three threads (purple, black and grey). It actually matches my shirt for Pride :)

Josephine Stone

Haha I just realized I had it backwards when I was thinking of white as the absence of color. It was late!

I like these two the best so far ---v

ace-band1.png

ace-band4.png

Like you said, the white makes it a bit less depressing, but the color doesn't seem to have as much of a meaning for us as black, grey, and purple do. Just to clarify, I wasn't trying to say to NOT do purple, I think of it as our color too. ;) I was just trying to see if there was some kind of deeper symbolism for it so when people ask we can say "Oh the purple stands for such-and-such" instead of "That's the color of the website".

You didn't really have it backwards. It just matters if you are talking about pigment or light. In the light spectrum black is the absence of all color where white is all and in pigment (like when you mix paint colors) it just the opposite. See either way you were right.

I like black better if you have to choose between the two, but that is just always been my favorite color. Purple does seem to be a theme in the sexual pride symbols so couldn't purple mean sexuality? The blank meaning the absence there of sexuality.

The purple to me means our community. It's usually the colour of this board, it's the colour most of us wear on Pride. You're right that it seems to be a part of the various LGBT colour schemes but to me it's the ace community.

Black is the asexuals, black being the absence of all colour (and I was thinking about this in light terms rather than pigment) thus represents the absence of sexual attraction. Grey being a mid-place between colour and lack of is the Demi and the Grey-As. And White, I like that in because it looks better but also because White is all colours put together into one. All of us, differences and similarities, coming together into one. Which I suppose leads into the Purple but it works as a separate thing too.

I don't think we have to choose between the two (black or white), we can have both!

And those two were my least fave lol!

I think we should keep white with the purple, black, and grey, it makes it look better.

I like purple, black and grey, myself. Reminds me of our triangle.

You should make/add a poll for color choices.

I'd say black. Mainly because of the whole symbolism of lack of color, and the whole black ring thing

I think the addition of white should be an open choice for the individual.

For me, it counter-threads the quieter colors.

If you can make a braid, you can easily make one of those types of bracelets yourself. Then it can be whatever color you want. This thread is making me want to make one...it's been a while. 8)

Hmm... is there any symbolic reason behind AVEN's purple? I like it, and I wouldn't mind it being one of the colors, but it seems a bit strange to just say "We're purple because the website is purple" when the other colors are all representative of something. Perhaps it could be a symbol of romance to show that asexuality does not equal aromantic by default; purple IS a color of passion.

I really like white (absence of color) and grey (grey-A).

purple can be a symbol of friendship/different love? Like if red is Love and blue is business then purple is something in between? Or more likable if red is passion and blue are indifference purple is in between?

That means I support the black/gray/purple or white/gray/purple idea :aven:

purple can be a symbol of friendship/different love? Like if red is Love and blue is business then purple is something in between? Or more likable if red is passion and blue are indifference purple is in between?

That means I support the black/gray/purple or white/gray/purple idea :aven:

disagree to myself

I vote black and purple

black because of the lack of colour, purple from the same reason as above :aven:

Archived