T-shirts

AVENguy

If I were to print up some t-shirts sometime in january would anyone be interested in buying them? I'd sell them at cost and we could arrange payment through paypal. I'm putting the idea out now so we can hammer out a good design idea. Not only would they be swank to have, it would be a great visibility tool.

Anyway, my preliminary idea is to have either black or red (scarlet) on white.

Front:capital "A" over left breast

Back:"Asexual: a person who does not experience sexual attraction." and under it www.asexuality.org (not because I'm trying to toot my own horn, so if someone sees the shirt and gets curious they'll know where to look.)

I have a few other ideas, but this is the one that I like the best. Comments? Suggestions? Are people comfortable with this definition of asexuality or do they think it should be changed/expanded?

If people are attached to the triangle motif then we can definitely throw that on there. I can't say that I'm still that hot on its derivation (it uses a dual-gender system and excludes asexuals who are attracted to specific genders. See the "information about asexuality" section) but if people want to drop its explanation and just keep the visual I wouldn't mind. Maybe instead of the "A" on the front (it looks snazzier and more distinctive.) Do people think we should put AVEN on the shirt or leave it unafilliated?

I like the idea of making a shirt. It might generate some interesting discussions in real life and help asexuals who are still in the closet find this board. :)

Personally, I would phrase the definition of asexuality as "One who has a very low or absent sex drive" (or something along those lines) so that people don't feel like it's an "all or nothing" thing...but since I'm not quite asexual, I would defer to the opinion of real asexuals. :)

Another possible idea:

Maybe to get people's attention a little more you could include some kind of sarcastic quip about sex on the front of the shirt. Not sure if anyone else will like this idea, but below are some examples I ran across. :)

"If sex is such a natural phenomenon, how come there are so many books on how to do it?" --Bette Midler

"An intellectual is someone who has found something more interesting than sex."

Edgar Wallace.

"Sex is the invention of a very clever venereal disease."

David Cronenberg

"Sex is God's joke on human beings." -- Bette Davis

Good point with the absolutes. Maybe it should be "experiences little or no sexual attraction" or possibly "experiences negligible sexual attraction", which is more accurate but potentially more confusing. My only issue with making it about sex drive is that some asexuals DO have sex drive (there's a post up in one of the other forums about it, can't remember which.)

I like the quotes, though I'm wary about coming off as antisexual. What do other people think?

I like the quotes, the Bette Midler one probably sounds the least antisexual. I think T-shirts are a good idea, but what I'd really like is a badge, so you can wear it with anything. As for the triangle, if you come up with a logo you like better then that's fine, but otherwise I rather like it.

I kind of like the idea of the badge. I could stick it on a backpack or something and I always carry around instead of a shirt I'd wear about once a month. That's under the assumption that I'm ever going to be ready to go around announcing my private buisness to the world, of course. I like the quotes too. Funny little quotes on a nice logo-badge and I'd probably buy one wether I'm ever ready to sew it on or not.

I love the idea... I would be cool with the quotes and I like the symbol too. I also think badges are a good Idea... also what about prices, I've payed around 11 dolars for shirts for other orginization when they're at cost so with s&h we're looking at 13 - 17 dolars depending on amount produced... I think this is a great idea!

Buttons are a big plus with me! So are the "quips."

I agree that a priority should be NOT to come off as being "militantly anti-sexual." I think that we wish to promote discussion, and stand for open-mindedness, and acceptance of the fact that all people are different.

Just as the "militant feminist" got a bad name, I think it is possible, here, for a misunderstanding to take place...so best to tread lightly.

How 'bout a black shirt that says in big CAPITAL red letters:

"Asexual: I wouldn't have sex with you if you were the last man/woman on Earth!"

Hee hee hee hee hee! :D

I like the idea of a t-shirt or button. But wouldn't a big letter A have sort of unfortunate Scarlet Letter implications? I rather like the triangle logo, even if it's not perfect.

The quips, especially the first, are pretty funny. But maybe it would be a good idea to have a couple of different designs available - one funny, and one not? As much as I like the idea of a shirt, I think one like Luisa's might be problematic to wear in certain instances. It's making me laugh sitting here, but I can't see myself wearing it during the campus LGBT Rainbow Festival even if it were the most appropriate time of year for it.

Does that make sense?

For the sake of clarification, my "Tshirt Slogan" was meant tongue-in-cheek; I was hoping to make a few people around here smile. :)

~I~ personally am LOL at the idea of the "A" relating to "The Scarlet Letter!" This would only make things EVEN MORE confusing.

"Adulterer?"

"NO, not even close - asexual!!!"

-----------------------------

In all seriousness, I think that, perhaps, the main reason why people would be reluctant to wear a shirt, button, or badge, is fear of being misunderstood. (Fear is an unfortunate, but powerful motivating tool.)

Why the fear?

Perhaps I will be misunderstood if I declare for all to see that I am an asexual. Perhaps, I will be cutting off relations before they begin, with someone who could be a good partner, or at least a good friend, by intimidating them prematurely. (It's always best to wait before intimidating people! ;) )

The idea is to draw people into conversation and to keep things open-minded. The fear is that the open-mindedness will not occur, and, in fact, people will see the word "asexual" and immediately become closed-minded.

I think that, maybe, it IS a little bit like the Scarlet Letter. Perhaps, people are afraid of being ostracized by their community/friends/whatever.

...or stopping a relationship before it starts.

-----------------------------------

So, the question then becomes:

How do we make people aware of asexuality, without causing them to close their minds to it, and to us as individuals, immediately?

Ideas? Time for a new thread?

LOL at Luisa. These are all great ideas. I'd buy a T-shirt, even thought I could only were it a few times out of the year. But it sounds cool to me.

Luisa- Wether you meant it to be a joke or not... it rather fits my sense of humor well. I tend to be a bit overly amused with things that can be both direct and insult people indirectly. Sort of like my rather messed up web page that I'm working on.

That said, the main reason I'm reluctant to wear something like that is that it IS an invitation to a conversation. I'm not very comfortable talking to random people (heh, and you don't count as random people). I'm actually not too worried about people and if they're going to be open minded or not... either they are or we're probably not going to be getting along that well.

"How do we make people aware of asexuality, without causing them to close their minds to it, and to us as individuals, immediately?"

That... probably does need a thread...

Hehe I like the t-shirt idea! I'd prefer it on a back shirt though, but that's just personal :)

I came up with an idea for a drawing to put on the shirt, I'm uploading it as an attachment to this message (I have no ides if it will work because I've never used the attachment feature before). If people can see it, tell me what you think hehe . . . I know it's MS Paint quality, but if people like the idea then I'll gladly make a better one hehe.

Heheh, I like it. :)

Although I agree with AVENguy, it's meaning is a bit confusing. How about something more to the effect of [the below image]? Same basic idea, although admittedly not as simple. But lookie closely, the champagne glass is actually AVEN's logo...

I am enjoying all of the "possible" images...they are really funny, and also good for making the "statement" we wish to make.

I only wanted to add the following, not to criticize (especially since I don't have a better idea,) but just to think over.

I like Gorax's design, except that it looks like it could possibly be a cross (instead of part of the "female" symbol) that is sticking up out of the trash can. I'm worried that any militant-religious people might get on our case. (Except the people who hate everything about the USA, and are trying to take us out now. Militant anti-Christian religions would probably love the shirt...but it's important that, for instance, someone who sees the shirt from the back first, or the back ONLY, realizes clearly what we're trying to say.)

And, I like both of the designs of "Innocence On A Stick." However, the first one (the non-cigarette one) seems to encourage people to drink instead of having sex, as shown by the martini glass. We could make a whole line of these, showing drinking, recreational drugs, and all kinds of things that are "more worthwhile" than sex, but that also kind of leads us off the track.

Though most of this post is a little tongue-in-cheek (and I hope it reads that way,) here is a serious question:

When the "male" and "female" figures are dropped from the symbol, it leaves us with a big fat "ZERO." O. Do we really want to identify ourselves as a "O?" We've talked about the A having "Scarlet Letter" connotations...well, what kind of connotations does "O" have?

Both good and bad, I would say. On the one, there's the concept of "nothingness," as in, "I am nothing." (Bad.) However, there is also the fact that it is an unbroken circle, which sort of has meaning in that it is complete and infinite all on its own...it goes on and on in a cyclical way, just like the seasons or the turning of the earth or the rotation of the planets around the sun, etc. (Good.)

Maybe we should think more in terms of symbols than slogans...as we have been doing in this thread lately. I have seen these symbols for logos popping up, and I think it's a good way to explore and discuss exactly how we would like to represent this aspect of ourselves to others?

(Remember, just like a multifaceted gem, this is just one part of us. There are many more parts to the gem.)

Just throwing some thoughts out there...

Hmm... I didn't realise that my first design was a bit pro-alcohol... (and I was all pleased that my second was anti-smoking, too!)... well, the martini glass was there to show that 'life is good' as an asexual, but if it's misleading it can always be removed and just show a smiley face.

Actually, personally, my favourite idea so far is the simple A or AVEN logo over the breast and a funny quote on the back. :)

Homosexuality is two male or two female symbols, so how come we wind up with only one "o"? I don't know if two "o"s are particularely clear either, as inevitably we're making some statement about gender, not sexuality (or sexual intensity.)

I also like the idea of buttons, patches or stickers. Should they say "asexuality" or just have the symbol? (The more different types of everything I have to print up the more complicated it's all going to get, I have a feeling, so I'm trying to find a way to keep it all down..)

Don't Worry, AVENGuy:

As far as I know, you're keeping "the most important part" *ahem* "DOWN." ;)

Hee hee hee.

I'm sorry. I ~had~ to post this. I can't help myself!

On the topic of "logos," I would suggest this (in response to AVENguy's post.)

If it is a small item, like a button or badge, it might be easiser and more apropos to simply use the "stylized A." However, if it is a bigger item, like a shirt, then there is room for the whole word, "Asexuality" (and more) to be written. Hence, I think the small items should use the letter, and the larger items be used to display the words/print/web edress, etc.

I also got a "design idea" of my own. Not being as hip as many of the people here who are half my age, I don't know how to make this into "computer art," and post it here. However, envision something like this on the front of the shirt, and the Asexuality definition, logo, etc. on the back:

SEX: _____ Male _____ Female __X__ No, Thank You

(The "X" could be a check mark, too.)

Poor AVENguy...you are being overwhelmed with "idea people," aren't you? :)

Thank you, Artemis. I appreciate the supportive words.

I don't know if anyone has given any significance to the thought of color or not...I know that the colors white, red, and black were mentioned. Those are probably the most "worn" T-shirt colors, in addition to grey.

However, one of the ideas for these shirts (etc.) is to pack as much meaning into as little space as possible. People may not "get" the meaning of things right away, but then, perhaps later, it will "come" to them in a revelatory sort of way.

Has anyone besides me noticed that the main background color of these forums is a light purple, and that the AVEN logo also fades to a darker purple at the bottom, and to a color that may be purple in its darkest form, or may be black, at the top?

I don't think that this is simply a random coincidence; even if the color was chosen simply because someone liked it, I always believe that these things that seem to have meaning, actually ~do~ have meaning, whether it was in the front of someone's mind during the creation, or in their subconscious.

The color associated with baby boys is blue. The color associated with baby girls is pink. Mix blue and pink (which is a lightened red) and you wind up with the color purple.

Ergo, people who feel sexually "complete" without having a male/female companion can choose the color purple to represent them, as it contains both the blue, AND the pink.

---------------------------------------

.........then again, maybe we shouldn't try to get too "deep," and just go for the colors that most people will wear.

I don't really know anything - just throwing out some ideas to see if anyone wants to catch 'em.

:)

Archived