Sharing a bed?

nowheregirl457

nowheregirl457

Just a random question, do those of you that are in a relationship share a bed with your partners? Or do you prefer not to? Because if I were ever to find myself in a relationship I don't think I'd want to, or be comfortable with, sharing a bed with someone...I think anyway :D anyone else feel the same?

I do... I don't think sharing a bed with someone would feel very comfortable to me. I prefer sleeping alone, thank you! Not a problem though since I'm happily single...

I don't mind the idea of sharing the bed with my boyfriend, since we don't do anything, but I don't sleep very well with him. (it doesn't help that our dorm beds are all twin size :mellow: )

eeriesilence

I love cuddling with my girlfriend at night, we're very tactile.

...though she is a pillow and cover hog. And a bed hog. And has terribly cold feet. And drools.

.......I still love cuddling with my girlfriend at night despite all of that. :wub:

I end up sandwiched between my huge dog and my cat. Then the dog wants to sniff the cats butt and the cat responds by clawing and the dog jumps around and...then I am awake...

Appleblossom

I share a bed with my hubby. It was never really a question. But, we don't touch while we sleep. And we don't cuddle, in fact he often goes to bed at least a couple of hours before I do, if I'm not at work anyway (I work night shifts)

Last March I broke my ankle, and as I recovered he had a hip replacement, so I took the opportunity of sleeping in the spare bedroom, as we were disturbing each other. I'd happily have stayed there, but now, only sleep there during the day when I'm working nights.

I've learned to compromise over the years. But, that separate bed is so attractive. lol

Hi there *waves*

I love my partner dearly, but would rather have my own bed in my own bedroom, with my own separate bathroom also if possible. Well, 'rather' is an understatement, really; I actually wouldn't have it any other way. Falling asleep in each others arms and waking up beside each other, would be nice for a special treat every now and then, but on the whole, i'd prefer to keep the 'sleeping/beauty maintenance' aspect of my life to myself. ^_^

...though she is a pillow and cover hog. And a bed hog. And has terribly cold feet. And drools.

.......I still love cuddling with my girlfriend at night despite all of that. :wub:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaawh that is so sweet! ^_^

Squirrel Combat

I share the bed with myself! ;)

ioncehadasoul

I like it but I don't like to be all cuddled up super close. I just like having the other person near.

I hated sharing a bed with someone. I like having my own space. Even if I were to live with/ be in a relationship with someone, I would want separate beds. I can't sleep against someone. It's too hard to fall asleep

Lies_As_Lau

I've only ever shared a bed with two people, one was at a friends house, and the other was with my sister. Even though I've never been in that intimate a relationship can tell that I would probably hate sharing a bed with them. I like having as much space as possible

During my short lasting relationship I shared a bed 4 times and 3 out of those 4 times were agonizing while the other one being quite nice and relaxing.
If I were in a relationship now I wouldn't mind sharing a bed once in a while, but sleep is already such a difficult feat to achieve for me due to insomnia and dust-mite allergies that I fear I wouldn't be comfortable doing it more than twice a week.

Also, because I have restless leg syndrome, every time I share a bed with someone I am hyper aware that if I move as much as my body desires to move I will wake them up constantly. Sometimes I can spend up to 4 hours trying to fall asleep just because my legs refuse to stop moving about.

eeriesilence

During my short lasting relationship I shared a bed 4 times and 3 out of those 4 times were agonizing while the other one being quite nice and relaxing.

If I were in a relationship now I wouldn't mind sharing a bed once in a while, but sleep is already such a difficult feat to achieve for me due to insomnia and dust-mite allergies that I fear I wouldn't be comfortable doing it more than twice a week.

Also, because I have restless leg syndrome, every time I share a bed with someone I am hyper aware that if I move as much as my body desires to move I will wake them up constantly. Sometimes I can spend up to 4 hours trying to fall asleep just because my legs refuse to stop moving about.

I know how that is, I'm very lucky to be dating someone who sleeps like a log. I twitch a lot in my sleep and am always changing position. I used to feel bad until I realized a bomb going off would be just as likely to wake them up as my tossing and turning.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaawh that is so sweet! ^_^

:redface: :redface: :redface:

The Not So Impossible Girl

Lol, I would really REALLY want my own bed if I ever got married. I remember going into my grandparents' room at their house as a little kid and seeing that they had separate, twin sized beds. How horrible would it be to just get 2 twin beds, push them apart when we wanted a good night's sleep, but then push them together when we wanted to cuddle? I think that's a perfect system right there, and I will do everything in my power to make it happen.

I know how that is, I'm very lucky to be dating someone who sleeps like a log. I twitch a lot in my sleep and am always changing position. I used to feel bad until I realized a bomb going off would be just as likely to wake them up as my tossing and turning.

Lucky you! I need to find someone like that or take lots of melatonin and hope for the best because I do enjoy sharing a bed with someone (Like you, I am also very tactile) just as long as we are both able to sleep. The tossing and turning is something I have done since I was very young and it is so ingrained in my sleep ritual that I believe I will never be able to sleep without doing it.

eeriesilence

Lucky you! I need to find someone like that or take lots of melatonin and hope for the best because I do enjoy sharing a bed with someone (Like you, I am also very tactile) just as long as we are both able to sleep. The tossing and turning is something I have done since I was very young and it is so ingrained in my sleep ritual that I believe I will never be able to sleep without doing it.

It's the same for me. I also had back surgery for scoliosis, and my hips are still unaligned so I end up in some weird positions, but she usually just molds herself right back to me. She likes to smother. They're usually the deep sleepers, but beware of the smother-ers if you like your space.

I'm slowly training my cat to be her replacement. Animals make good cuddle buddies too, so long as they are okay with being manhandled. xD

littleheartsofjoy

I have shared a bed once (my mom's friend's daughter) and that was weird to me at first. I just adjusted myself to the situation and when the week was up, I was glad to have my bed back. As for being in such a situation romantically, it would really depend on the size of the bed. I don't think I would mind it, as long as there's space for me to sleep on my back or side (depends how I feel), and space for them to sleep however they wish.

I like to cuddle, but have never been fond of sharing a bed for sleeping. I tend to thrash around a lot in my sleep, and being "up there" in age, I have to make trips down the hall once or twice each night. I'd rather not worry about disturbing someone with all this. That said, I don't mind sharing a room with someone at night, I kind of like the companionship and the sound of breathing (not snoring!)

I have shared a bed once (my mom's friend's daughter) and that was weird to me at first. I just adjusted myself to the situation and when the week was up, I was glad to have my bed back. As for being in such a situation romantically, it would really depend on the size of the bed. I don't think I would mind it, as long as there's space for me to sleep on my back or side (depends how I feel), and space for them to sleep however they wish.

That's a thing as well. There are those beds meant for couples that are little more than single beds... How can two people comfortably sleep in those?? I'd also rather sleep on a bed of nails than sleep with a pet... It's a hygiene thing more than anything. Each to their own I suppose...

KanaraKazen

I don't know. I've never shared a bed with anybody else besides my brothers. They make good pillows except when they kick me. I suppose I might, only if I trust the person enough to know he would never try anything. I like the idea of cuddling and sharing so sharing a bed sounds nice if only meant to sleep, have deep talks, cuddle, and sleep. But I need to try it first before I know for sure. XD

I had a girlfriend who was a nightmare to sleep with as she had almost every bad habit you can have while asleep (snoring, taking up all the space, hogging to covers, violently twitching, talking, etc.) so I often ended up sleeping on the couch.

Generally though I can sleep next to someone but I'm more comfortable, and sleep better, on my own.

Sounds pretty horrid to me. Haven't been comfortable with the thought of not having a bed all to myself, ever since childhood.

And I'd actually very strongly prefer separate beds, in separate rooms, in separate flats. Separate cities and even countries won't be a problem for me, either. Yes, I'm weird, I know.

Mycroft is Yourcroft

Never

Although not an issue to me as I'm very much single, I have shared a bed with a partner, I enjoyed it too, I'm a big cuddle slut and I liked cuddling up to her, that was then, no chance of a relationship now, so for me, it's my single bed to share with me and the bed bugs

I love sleeping next to someone. Though I move around a lot so I prefer the edge (opposed to the wall side) when someone else is in my bed. Though I love being closer to the wall when alone. I also take up too much space I've been told. Oops.

I had some thoughts not long ago that led to me making some changes. In the past during my sporadic relationships I would share a queen or king bed with a partner. In my own home I have always had a queen sized bed. Last year while sorting out the business of being ace I needed to replace my mattress. When deciding what to get I realized that in my own bed when alone I would still sleep on "my" side and be crowded over to one side. I considered a twin size but then it dawned on me I could get a full size and have lots of space and the knowledge that I would not be sharing it might let me use all of it. It worked! I now have a big luxurious space that I don't subconsciously carve up. Really loving it. :D

I've only ever shared the bed with friends or cousins - it was fine in my experience. I am pretty good when it comes to working with what I've got. If I have a designated place on the bed, I will only ever occupy that space. However sleepers that thrash around - there's no way to work around this, other than getting a separate bed. Also sleepers who snore frequently and loudly multiple times in the night - I get very annoyed and my patience is thin. So really it depends on the sleeper's sleeping habits.

As for marriage/relationship - I would like to mix it up - some nights on a shared bed, other nights on a separate bed - depending on the circumstance. I would ideally like to have my own bedroom with an attached washroom - even if I don't "use" the space on a daily basis. The knowledge that I have a separate space is comforting, healthy, and therapeutic. I think everyone should have their own space in the house - married or not! However, if a separate bedroom is not possible - I need a separate washroom! I am picky when it comes to washrooms and would really not like to share or compromise on that! I also think that by not sleeping on a shared bed every single night, the couple will learn to appreciate the value of sleeping on a shared bed more often! Also, by having separate bedrooms/washrooms, this results in less quarreling about each other's organization/hygiene habits!

However, I've always wondered if having separate spaces will feel too much like living a single life? Will it be easier to put your partner at a distance in the relationship? This is the only danger. Also by not sharing the same space, will the couple be used to not compromising/adapting and will this influence other areas of the relationship? I don't know.

RainbowGalaxy

I love sharing a bed. (Spooning is one of my favourite things. :wub:)

Never actually lived with a partner before, though. Not sure if I could make a habit of it, I like space. I think that's more to do with my personality though.

Spooning sounds fine (though I wouldn't want to do it for real anymore) and I'm sure it is if you're 'the person in the front', but if you're not, you constantly have the other person's hair in your face and you don't know what to do with the left/right arm... actually, you're bound to get pins and needles in it because either you or your partner is lying on it. IMO, spooning is only 'romantic' for one... and pretty uncomfortable for the other. But again, that may just be me!

Archived