Birth control methods

Vivaldi Ives

Birth control methods  

1. 1. Have you ever participated in sexual activity that could result in pregnancy?

• Yes, in the past
    • Yes, I currently participate in this kind of activity
    • No, but I might do this in the future
    • No, I never plan to engage in this kind of activity
  2. 2. What birth control methods have you used/do you currently use/would you consider using?

• Birth control pills
    • Other hormonal methods (injection, patch, vaginal ring, implant, etc.)
    • IUD
    • Condoms
    • Other barrier method (diaphragm, cap, or sponge)
    • Spermicide
    • Tracking your menstrual cycle
    • Pulling out
    • No method (for example, you want to become pregnant, or you are naturally infertile)
    • Permanent sterilization
    • Doesn't apply; I will never have sex that could result in pregnancy

This poll is closed to new votes

Have you used birth control, and which methods are you comfortable with using?

I'm interested in the pros and cons of the various methods, especially from AVENites' point of view.

I have never had sex, but if I do someday, I would most likely use a condom or a diaphragm--actually, both together wouldn't hurt as both methods have a small chance of failure.

Just about all the available birth control methods make me at least a little uncomfortable--I don't want to take hormones unless I absolutely have to, IUDs seem too invasive, and other methods have a higher failure rate. I also don't want to be permanently sterilized in case I might change my mind in the future.

I used Plan B the only time I ever had sex.

I didn't list Plan B as an option since it's classified as "emergency contraception," but I'm very glad it exists. I would take it without any regret if I needed to, even though I wouldn't want to be on regular hormonal birth control.

The Great WTF

I'm technically supposed to be sterile (or, at the very least, I have a .021% chance of getting pregnant and even less of a chance of being able to carry a child to term because of severe damage from endometriosis) but I still use the pill until my partner and I can find a doctor willing to give him a vasectomy. <.< The last three we've asked bluntly refused to give one to any male under 30.

WhenSummersGone

Condoms, pull out method and birth control pills, when I used to have sex. If I have sex again in the future it will be the same, except the pull out method with a condom in the future. I used to have risky sex and that was stupid.

Notte stellata

I currently use pills. I may consider other hormonal methods or permanent sterilization.

I've made a similar poll before, which you may be interested to check out (but don't revive it as it's too old): http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/84565-birth-control-methods/

Vasectomy for me! It's so great never having to worry about getting anyone pregnant ever again! A huge weight off my back.

I'm technically supposed to be sterile (or, at the very least, I have a .021% chance of getting pregnant and even less of a chance of being able to carry a child to term because of severe damage from endometriosis) but I still use the pill until my partner and I can find a doctor willing to give him a vasectomy. <.< The last three we've asked bluntly refused to give one to any male under 30.

Try Planned Parenthood, if you're in the US... they're really good about that. Don't give up... keep calling doctors and you'll find one.

Doctors seem to have some difficulty with their malractice insurance carriers -- the carriers don't want to have to insure the doctors against lawsuits by men who are young/don't have kids who later decide that their doctors shoulldn't have done a vasectomy.

I don't plan on ever being sexually active, plus I have two medical conditions that make it extremely likely that I am sterile.

Doctors seem to have some difficulty with their malractice insurance carriers -- the carriers don't want to have to insure the doctors against lawsuits by men who are young/don't have kids who later decide that their doctors shoulldn't have done a vasectomy.

By "some difficulty" you mean their malpractice insurance goes up for performing vasectomies under a certain age? I hadn't heard of that... do you have a link or reference? How would their malpractice insurance carrier even know? It doesn't seem to me that a lawsuit by a fully informed consenting patient who later changed his mind would go anywhere.

marmalade-cats

Generally I use both birth control pills and condoms. I would eventually like to be in a relationship where one/both of us are sterilized though. I'm not going to be having any kids!

I have never participated in sex and want no part of it in the future (ugh), but I have a medical condition that requires me to use birth control to make life tolerable. >.> I used the one month pill until it stopped being effective, then the three month pill, and now I'm on Depo. It's great if you have PCOD like me because it completely solved all of my symptoms, but I wouldn't recommend it under other circumstances due to needing injections, the weight gain, and the increasing risk of osteoporosis for every year you use it. Also, if you decide to try for kids after, it can sometimes take months to become fertile again, and it's possible you never will.

I am trying to get the doctor to give me a hysterectomy (screw tying the tubes, that doesn't help me), but she says no doctor will do that if they don't have to. -_-

I was sexually active from about 18 to 28, and have been celibate since (I'm almost 34). In the past I have used condoms or some variation on the pill. My current relationship could stay celibate or we might end up exploring sex some day (it's not a priority for either of us). If we went down that road I'd likely be interested in the IUD or permanent sterilization. Essure intrigues me, since it avoids surgery.

Mycroft is Yourcroft

I got an implant when I was active in...that way, but it was also partly because there is a slight chance that it stops periods too, which is a BIG bonus for me, and well worth a bit of plastic in the arm. Unfortunately, it did not stop mine, so I guess I will leave it there until the 3 years are up then get it removed. I am also considering permanent sterilisation as another way of stopping them, though finding a doctor who will do it before 25 will be a full time occupation I fear...

Also I plan not to have sex again, which will make things a bit easier ;)

I have had several sexual relationships so I've been on the pill and used condoms. Even though I'm not sexually active at the moment I currently have an implant, it works like a dream, I get to pretend I don't have a uterus and even immaculate conception can't happen :P it's a win, win.

Nothings_Changed

[tmi warning, yall]

Gosh, I think I tried nearly every birth control method! I was terrified of pregnancy. At first I was using a combo of latex condoms and pulling out (while still wearing the condom), then I added birth control pills while still using condoms and pulling out. I stuck with that for a few years. Then, when I went to a new partner, we wear still using condoms any time a penis went near a vagina, but we stopped pulling out. I had one time when there condom broke and used Plan B over my B.C. pill (I highly recommend not doing that. It screwed up my system so bad.) fast forward and I went off birth control pills and started using spermicidal films and condoms and tracking my cycle to avoid the risky days all together.

Finally I got testosterone therapy for gender identity disorder, and we went to condoms only until my partner got his vasectomy. Now, its just one less thing to worry about. We still use condoms for some other activates for cleanliness purposes.

Now as far as pros and cons of the bunch: This is all my option and I am not a Doctor. [just a nerd]

Condoms: I only had 2 condoms brake while using, they are free at most clinics, there are tons of sizes, shapes, flavors, and colors, and they even have latex free options. Can be used for nearly all types of sexual encounters. They are sensitive to light and heat and (hopefully you will never have to fear this) they can be tampered with. Check frequently during the encounter to make sure its still intact and safe. And ALWAYS use latex-safe lube, never oil based.

Natural tracking: it does nothing itself to protect you from pregnancy but it makes you every aware of your body. If I still needed it, I would mix the counting along with the Moon method of using lights to trigger ovulation (and hence avoid pregnancy). It's natural, free, and has worked for thousands of years for many women. can be combined with others easily.

Spermicide: some people, including myself, are sensitive or full on allergic to its ingredients. Some films have a numbing factor to slow the male down, but it makes Everything numb. (They make that area taste horrible)

Birth control pills/shot: I’m very biased but I am very against birth control pills. For me, they just wrecked my body. Talk to your doctor about if it's best for you, including ALL side effects.

Surgical sterilization: best option I’ve encountered. Don’t have to think about it, plan for it, time it, its just there. Does not protect against STDs at all and is very hard and expensive to reverse.

and my Public Service Announcement: Don't forget the lube and to get tested to STDs regularly. Be safe, be consensual, and be sane. and most importantly , Have Fun!

Best of luck to you in whatever you choose to do and whatever you choose to protect yourself when you do it!

• 1 month later...

I I had 8 short sexual relationships and was married 1 year

I have always prevented only with pull and pray. I had two unwanted pregnancies and I can remove me after the last birth, the uterus and the ovaries. with this decision I'm happy

• 1 month later...

For me the only acceptable "birth control" is not having sex in the first place.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm sex-repulsed, but I would consider sex because I want kids and in vitro can be pretty expensive.

I'm sex-repulsed, but I would consider sex because I want kids and in vitro can be pretty expensive.

Artificial insemination doesn't have to be in vitro. If you've got a guy willing to give you sperm, you can insert it yourself free. No sex.

Also, you can buy sperm and insert that without in vitro fertilization.

Artistofnoname

It doesn't always work. Heck the only reason I'm here is because of a failed pill.

I'm personally just avoiding the whole thing all together.

• 2 weeks later...
TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

While I am asexual and will never participate in any sexual activity, I do take birth control pills to make my periods less painful. And let me tell you, they help me with that so much. I found this out recently when my mom forgot to buy me more for like a month. Because of that I lost track on where I was when she finally did order them, so she just told me to wait until my period and then take them after that.

And because I hadn't taken them in that month, my period then consisted of more blood than usual. I had to change my pad like three times a day and my stomach cramps were like three times as painful as well. This was like.... just last week.

So, that's why I take birth control pills. I'd be in a lot of pain every month without them.

Jockey, on 13 Jun 2014 - 06:50 AM, said:
JaidaKai, on 12 Jun 2014 - 1:35 PM, said:

Artificial insemination doesn't have to be in vitro. If you've got a guy willing to give you sperm, you can insert it yourself free. No sex.

Also, you can buy sperm and insert that without in vitro fertilization.

With sperm can come STDs -- it doesn't take a penis to give you a disease; it's carried in seminal fluid. If you have a friend donate sperm, have him get tests first.

"Buying" sperm from some organization is not a great idea; you have no idea what's in it.

okay this will be WAY too much TMI, just a warning!

I have known quite a few people who use anal sex as a birth control method... If you're into it, it's safer (pregnancy-wise) than vaginal sex, though best to combine with a condom as well, for obvious reasons. Myself, I haven't done back-door sex, but for front-door contraception I have used condoms (don't trust them on their own though, I have had sex on my.. ehem, monthly.. and blood has ended up UNDERNEATH the condom, rather a few times. If blood can end up inside the condom, then it stands to reason that sperm can end up outside of the condom, and inside you) . So yeah, combine a condom with birth control pill or the injection (I have used both, injection was better because didn't need to remember it every day like with the pill) .. and of course, with condoms, a proper lubricant (like KY jelly, NEVER baby oil or lotion, these can corrode the rubber) is REALLY important, because if you are not lubricated enough, the rubber can tear, which doesn't always go noticed straight away.

End of TMI ^_^

EDIT: I forgot to mention, my mother swears that her fifth child was conceived through a condom and a diaphragm. Not sure why she would lie about it, so I personally have always combined hormone treatment (like pill or injection) with other methods, just to be on the safe side... I also never liked the idea of hormone treatment, but there are many different sorts out there, so lots to choose from if you decide to go down that route ^_^

EDIT 2: and I completely forgot to mention female condoms!! I have never tried them, but maybe less chance of accidental slippage?? maybe check them out too! here's a link http://www.plannedparenthood.org/health-info/birth-control/female-condom

I have never had sex and I don´t want to have it, so nothing.

In theory, if I wanted to have sex, I would use condoms. I´m so repulsed by sperm I would not be able to tolerate it anywhere on my body or inside of my body.

It doesn't always work. Heck the only reason I'm here is because of a failed pill.

I'm personally just avoiding the whole thing all together.

Yeah, my bird's and the bee's speech let me know that I am "the product of a condom and a diaphragm used at the same time".

I got my IUD years ago and swear by it. Never have to think about it...for a decade. They say it's the best form of birth control next to abstinence, but it hurt like hell going in (doc said I have a very, very small cervix so maybe it's just me). Obviously invasive, but only for a few minutes and then poof worry about it in 10-12 years. I have no side effects with Paragard, though they say it can affect your period.

Best way to have the least side effects, physical and emotional, is to say hell with the whole thing!

I had two spermicide children. I have a failed condom grandson (yes, they told me; would rather not have known!).

I had two spermicide children. I have a failed condom grandson (yes, they told me; would rather not have known!).

That wording makes me wince. I kinda doubt they'd like to read it put like this... :mellow:

Archived