Options for becoming a parent

Vivaldi Ives

Options for becoming a parent  

1. 1. Would you like to have children someday?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe/Unsure
  2. 2. What methods for having children would you be comfortable with?

• The "traditional" way (have sex, give birth)
    • Use donated sperm or egg cells
    • In vitro fertilization (with you or your partner giving birth to the child)
    • A surrogate mother (in vitro fertilization, but another woman gives birth to your child)
    • Adoption (from your own country)
    • Adoption (from another country)
    • Foster care (temporarily housing children who can't live with their parents for whatever reason)
    • Finding a partner who already has children
    • Not applicable/don't want children

This poll is closed to new votes

There are many ways to become a parent. Which one(s) would you choose?

(If I left out any options, let me know and I'll add them.)

I don't know for sure yet if I want children, but the options I would consider are finding a partner who already has a child, foster care, adopting from my own country, and possibly having sex/giving birth myself, depending on if I thought I could handle it mentally and emotionally. But ideally I would want to come into a child's life when it is a toddler or older.

willnightshade

You forgot taking one from the park when the parent is not looking :P JK Mayhaps for me. I would prefer adoption.

You forgot taking one from the park when the parent is not looking :P

I seem to recall that when I was little and my parents would take me to the grocery store, people would sometimes make jokes like "Oh, what aisle did you find your child in? I want one of those."

I've never seen the purpose of having children in a developed nation, and with my unwillingness to take on unnecessary responsibilities I definitely don't want any.

The "traditional method" doesn't apply to me, ace or not, bc I am only sexually attracted to women, so even if I was sexual I couldn't get preggers the "traditional way." Which is actually prob the best thing about the overlap btw my attractions, relationship status & opinions, and my ace-ness. I was never going to have a husband and have kids through p in v sex. So the choice of a father for my kids is something I was always going to have to make, whether I am partnered/triaded/whatevered or single, if I have regular sex or never have sex, and whether I end up in a nuclear family or a crazy hippie community thing. the kids part has never changed and that is oddly comforting...

kaleidoscope_eyes

I have always wanted to adopt (from any country, really), even before I knew I was ace. And I would be open to fostering kids as well, although this might be difficult for me (I get really attached...), so I'd need to be in the right place in my life. I don't want any kids anytime soon though! Late 20s early 30s is my current preference.

WhenSummersGone

I voted maybe and it would most likely be by having sex and getting pregnant myself. If I felt like it I could adopt from anywhere, accept someone else's kids and foster care.

I chose maybe/unsure. I MAY want to have kids one day, but not right now. If I do end up having kids, I want to adopt or foster. Too many are in need of homes for me to feel good about bringing yet another baby into the world.

House of Chimeras

We don't want to have children some day in any way shape or form.

• 1 month later...

Yes.

Donated sperm, IvF, adoption from my country, adoption from another country, foster care, and maybe finding a partner who already has children. Most partners who already have children are not sexually compatible with me, so finding a life partner with kids that is seems very unlikely.

This is something that's come up with me in conversations regarding consent. Even though I'm asexual and doubt I would ever want to have sex for pleasure, it's the easiest and cheapest way to have kids, so I see myself most likely having kids that way.

That said, the idea of foster care has really been growing on me (though I'd probably end up adopting them all).

It's so encouraging to see so many people comfortable with adoption and fostering :)

Adoption seems most likely for me, but I would prefer to adopt a child from a less developed country than my own.

Don't want children. Don't even like them.

Maelstrom_17

Definitely adopting kids from another country.. I think that kids from a less developed nation deserve a chance at a better life. Plus.. it would be cool to travel with them when the child grows up to their home nation. That would be so cool :)

I chose maybe/unsure. I MAY want to have kids one day, but not right now. If I do end up having kids, I want to adopt or foster. Too many are in need of homes for me to feel good about bringing yet another baby into the world.

Oh goodie. I don't even have to write my response, as someone else has already written it exactly as i was about to. Good effort Serran ;)

I don't want children at the moment and I don't see that changing in the future. I'm not a breeder and that's that really. However if some point in the future my mind changes I would prefer to adopt or maybe go with a surrogate as I really don 't want something living in my uterus.

• 2 months later...

I thought I had sperm for the time it took me to do the quiz but then remembered I had eggs. I wonder how having sperm feels like.

Maybe/Unsure

Adoption from both my country or another country, though most likely from my own.

Other: I figure if nobody's invented an artificial womb/cloning tube by the time I'm, say, fifty, I'll switch careers to biomedical engineering and invent it myself. Then I'll clone myself.

binary suns

Checked all the options (probably typical of me) the one thing is tho, I was pretty inspired by this one couple I knew before and maybe agains someday, who at least thrice adopted or fostered kids during highschool to enable them to save and go to college and have a "family" support while there, which I thought was pretty cool. Not sure the full details, but ickle kiddies are too much for me to handle I think.... I wouldn't be able to adopt a kid but I'd be able to foster a teen probably someday

I've wanted to adopt, but the more I think about it, the more I realize I don't want kids after all. Being a teacher means SO MUCH MORE to me than being a parent. I've already determined to dedicate my entire existence to my future students, and if I have to raise kids, I feel that it will interfere with the quality of my teaching. It would be unfair to my students if I had children. I want to be able to give 100% to my students all the time, without my own children in the way to take away from that.

Guest Cairne Bloodhoof

I started to think about having a children someday. The only option for me is adoption. I voted for both adoptions.

• 2 months later...

I'm profoundly allergic to brats, (children) and will have as little to do with them as possible. Generally they have an insatiable appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. ( Quote Winston Churchill- I cannot claim credit)

I doubt it, but I can't rule anything out. If I did it would be through adoption, and it would be an older child. They need to be able to use the bathroom by themselves, at least.

• 5 months later...

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organization, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to re-start new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

Lady Girl, Moderator

Archived