Rides to/from Toronto Airport

Here's a thread to help coordinate rides to and from the Toronto airport.

If you live in the area and can possibly give people rides between the airport and events/downtown area, please let us know here! Don't put any personal information here, just your ability, and members who are interested can PM you.

If you need a ride, please let us know here when you'll be needing it. People who are capable of giving rides, please keep an eye out and PM those who need it :)

Let's save money on cabs!

Edit: Now we have a spreadsheet :D

Edited by Heart

Ooooh this is an awesome idea, Heart!

i'd love to save money on cabs!

I'll be at Pearson on the 23rd of June at 5.45 PM (yay ^_^ )

And my plane will take off at 8.50 PM of the 30th of June. (boo :( )

It'd be great to get to know new asexual people at the airport already!

I'm still uncertain, but I get more and more certain each day :)

My hypothetical arrival would be on 23rd of June, 5:05PM at Pearson

And I would depart on the 30th of June at 7:30PM (though if I am certain that I go this part might change because I may append a visit of my family to the vacation^^)

I'll tell you once everything is set in stone :)

I'm driving, but it sounds like I'll be arriving later than some of you. I'll probably be getting there on the 25th or the 26th. I probably wouldn't mind making a run to help take people *back* to the airport if needed though.

• Like 1

Do we have a spreadsheet for this yet?

I could be wrong, but I don't believe we do. Do you think we need one? Or do you think informal notes here works? There are so many spreadsheets already, I'm starting to get overwhelmed, so maybe it's best if we keep it here unless it gets big :P

I'm driving, but it sounds like I'll be arriving later than some of you. I'll probably be getting there on the 25th or the 26th. I probably wouldn't mind making a run to help take people *back* to the airport if needed though.

When will you drive back to the US?

More than likely on the 2nd or 3rd. The 1st is a holiday in Canada, so it's probably easier not to travel that day, and then the 4th is a holiday in the US so I don't have to work *THAT* day (and have a nice long weekend to recover ;)).

With the 4th being a holiday, I just took off through the weekend. It was easier than getting back in time to work a 1-2 day workweek.

• 3 months later...

Note: we now have a spreadsheet :D

Go here if you want to organise carpooling to and from the airport. I've also edited the OP to include this, so go to town! ;)

(pssst....Um....the dates\days of the week don't match up...they seem to be a day off).

(pssst....Um....the dates\days of the week don't match up...they seem to be a day off).

Oops :blush:

Edit:

...Wait, did someone fix that already? They look ok to me....

Edited by Heart

Oops :blush:

Edit:

...Wait, did someone fix that already? They look ok to me....

I should have mentioned that I fixed the dates yesterday. The first few days were okay, but June 25 was listed twice thereby setting the dates back by one.

• Like 1

JJButterworth

I might be able to pick people up. Just let me know when you coming and where you are going, via PM.

I might be able to pick people up. Just let me know when you coming and where you are going, via PM.

Yeah, I'm driving in....so I'll also have a car in the area while I'm there and may be able to arrange rides for people. Given I've never been to Toronto though (or heck...Canada in general), so I may not know what I'm signing myself up for (but seriously....it *CAN'T* be as bad as Chicago O'Hare, can it?)

JJButterworth

Yeah, I'm driving in....so I'll also have a car in the area while I'm there and may be able to arrange rides for people. Given I've never been to Toronto though (or heck...Canada in general), so I may not know what I'm signing myself up for (but seriously....it *CAN'T* be as bad as Chicago O'Hare, can it?)

As long as your are not driving during rush hour it is not so bad or maybe I am just used to it.

As long as your are not driving during rush hour it is not so bad or maybe I am just used to it.

I would recommend making sure your GPS has up to date maps of Canada (some GPS software sold in US doesn't come with maps of Canada by default, just to make the package smaller, and you have to tick a box to get the Canada maps). And if it gets live updates on traffic/construction, even better. Toronto has two seasons, winter and construction, and you will be arriving in the middle of construction season. For example, they have Front street dug up right now, which is the street directly in front of Toronto Union station, where the taxi stands used to be. Not sure where the taxis are now, or when that construction will be finished. From the size of the hole, I seriously doubt it will be finished before WP.

Oh, and another travel advisory, try to avoid the Gardiner Express Way while you are here. They are doing some center median reconstruction which means the entire highway is closed for some stretches while they rebuild it. You will have to detour around the construction areas, which will be bad.

Just examples of the construction, there is more going on around the city, and having live updates of where to avoid is really handy, even for the people who live in Toronto.

I would recommend making sure your GPS has up to date maps of Canada (some GPS software sold in US doesn't come with maps of Canada by default, just to make the package smaller, and you have to tick a box to get the Canada maps). And if it gets live updates on traffic/construction, even better. Toronto has two seasons, winter and construction, and you will be arriving in the middle of construction season. For example, they have Front street dug up right now, which is the street directly in front of Toronto Union station, where the taxi stands used to be. Not sure where the taxis are now, or when that construction will be finished. From the size of the hole, I seriously doubt it will be finished before WP.

Oh, and another travel advisory, try to avoid the Gardiner Express Way while you are here. They are doing some center median reconstruction which means the entire highway is closed for some stretches while they rebuild it. You will have to detour around the construction areas, which will be bad.

Just examples of the construction, there is more going on around the city, and having live updates of where to avoid is really handy, even for the people who live in Toronto.

Yeah, I went out and bought a GPS once I knew for sure I was heading up for WorldPride pretty much *specifically* for this purpose, as I wouldn't have bought one otherwise (though, since I have it, I do occasionally use it...). I made sure at purchase that it included maps of Canada and I've already updated it's map package. I also got the one with lifetime traffic updates as well.

Omnes et Nihil

Pearson Airport isn't technically in Toronto-- which isn't a problem for Mississauga dwellers like JJButterworth, but does tend to confuse people who are new in town.

But if people fill out the spreadsheet, then the few of us who have access to vehicles might be able to co-ordinate... and if there are people who arrive at similar times, that's a bonus!

Feral_Sophisticate

I live in the NW end of Mississauga (right off Highway 401), but travel to and from work (which is pretty much at the airport).

If someone needs a lift to the Pride parade, and you're staying in a hotel on the airport strip, in Mississauga or near Highway 401, I can fit 2 or 3 people in my car.

Likewise, if you're arriving at Pearson for the parade only, I can likely swing by and pick you up - though I have to be downtown before noon. Pickup would be at 11am at the latest.

Send me a PM if you need a lift. I'll access the Google doc later, when I'm not at work. Strangely, our IT dept blocks Google documents, but not sites like AVEN... :ph34r:

I'll be at Pearson at about 6 PM next Monday, and I'm staying at a place in Kensington area. Anyone feels like driving me? If no one can, it's not a problem, I'll take a cab :)

Hi everyone, I am a Torontonian who does not have a car but I live downtown and I used to go to school out by the airport so I know my way around a bit. My advice is that if you don't want to spend a fortune on a cab and you don't have a drive take the transit.

We call it the TTC (Toronto Transit Commission) It is 3 Canadian dollars per ride or if you go to a convenience store or subway station you can buy a token good for a one way ride for $2.60. There are also 1 day, and week long passes. If you walk straight out of the terminal doors, cross the first line of traffic to the sidewalk island thing and walk along it to the left you will come to a bus stop. Take the 192 bus, it is called the airport rocket. It will take you to Kipling subway station. The subways from there all go east towards the downtown core. You can choose to transfer to north south cars at 3 locations or go up to the surface to transfer to busses or st cars. If you get a transfer (a little piece of paper) from the bus driver you can keep going by paying one time by showing that to the next driver or attendant for as long as your trip lasts so long as you don't stop along the way.

It may be a bit more complicated but $3 is a lot cheaper than the $30-60 cost of a cab ride and if you are arriving at rush hour it is faster.

• Like 1
  • 8 years later...

(Below is an official, green, mod message.)

Hi, everyone. This event has finished.

So, it's being locked.

LeChat,

Welcome Lounge, Announcements, and Alternate Language moderator