Any one else like trains?

Lenika

OK so this is one of my gender atypical interests. I'm curious if any one else here has the same interest. I like freight trains mostly. I don't know, I've always been interested in them for some reason. I may even make working on a train my job one day. I think it would be a great job, though I've got globe trotting that I have to do first before I settle into any job. :P

Even my horse likes trains! See I've always said my partner is in the body of an equine! He likes everything I do! Lol!

Any way, any others out there like me? Better yet are there any other Females like me?

I know us female train enthusiasts exist, but I think we might be an even smaller percentage than aces Lol!

So what do ya know!?

Quintus Crinis

yes, very much - busses as well.

Initially it was about the timetable aspect for me, but now I'm just generally into trains. (think it helps that I grew up with the London underground).

Robert. :)

Oh my yes!!! So happy to see it isn't just me! I sell the models and photograph the real ones!

Yepp, I do quite like them, but especially travelling in them, looking out of the window :D Also, I've got a couple of friends who love steam trains, and one of them is female =)

One of my biggest dreams ever is travelling by the transsiberian.

Also, I went to visit Ukraine last November, and some of the highlights of my trip, were, first, the journey from Kyiv to Lviv on an Ukrainian plackart (a carriage with no compartments) sleeper train, and, second, from Lviv to Krakow over the border on another sleeper. This summer I'll be returning to Ukraine, and am looking forward to travelling to many more places - on trains of course!

I also love airplanes - even more than trains, I guess. I love how they take people to far away places, and I always feel thrilled the entire time I'm at an airport. I find the idea of long-haul flights really amazing, and I'm seriously considering becoming a flight attendant for a few years for some long-haul flight company after I finish university (where I'm probably going to study areospace engineering).

I just really love travelling, and therefore trains and airplanes have a special place in my heart =)

Waist of Thyme

I was going to post this. You beat me to it XD

I was going to post this. You beat me to it XD
What??? Lol

I mean ur signature. What is that about?

Having grown up in a family who took a strong interest in trains, some of that has rubbed off on me. My interest lies in the engineering side of it all though.

Waist of Thyme

What??? Lol

I mean ur signature. What is that about?

It's just something random I came up with :P

What's everyone's favorite railroad? I like Canadian Pacific! They are friendly and have a great paint scheme. Anyone else interested in photographing them?

My flickr page has lots of my train photos but I haven't been on in ages. www.flickr.com/photos/mark_vogel/

Having grown up in a family who took a strong interest in trains, some of that has rubbed off on me. My interest lies in the engineering side of it all though.

Oh I find locomotives fascinating as machinery! I like to know how stuff works. I'd really like it if some body parked one and let me look all through it. Better yet I'd like to see one being built and how its put together in person. I'd help my self to look in the parked ones at the nearest yard but I'm sure that would look really suspicious and get me in trouble!

I also really wan'ted to intern with a local company but sadly I just missed the end of the internship program by a few months. You had to be 18 and I was 17.8. They no longer have it 4 years later. However I MAYBE will get my chance through a family friend who has dealings with the company and needs photographer.

What's everyone's favorite railroad? I like Canadian Pacific! They are friendly and have a great paint scheme. Anyone else interested in photographing them?

My flickr page has lots of my train photos but I haven't been on in ages. www.flickr.com/photos/mark_vogel/

I always liked CSX as a kid. Probably because that was the RR that gave me a ride when I was little. And they were purple and yellow which is a good color scheme. Though they've change that sense.

NS has a good logo with the horse. I love horses so well that's a given.

As for location anything in the north. I LOVE cold climate. Id prefer to work on a norther RR for that reason.

And well I like any RR that will give me a ride Lol! Those are ever so hard to find now days. When I was little the guy from CSX even let me move the shifty stick and sort of drive it. Supervised by him and my dad of course. Heck if any one'd let ya do that now! <_<

I photograph all the time. I really like getting these old engines that they park in the woods and other random places. I've gotten some really spooky photos from them. Kind of a photo that looks like "40 years after humans disappeared from the earth" kind of theme.

In the US they have a wonderful program called Railcamp which is sponsored by the NRHS and you get to work on a tourist railroad ( Steamtown for teens/ Nevada Northern for adults) for a week and really get down and dirty with all it takes to keep steam locomotives working.

Not sure I'd you are ever in PA but the East Broad Top in Mt. Washington (central part of state) has an old overgrown yard in town with WW1 era cars rusting away in the woods. Very much up your alley it sounds like.

Quintus Crinis

If "railroad", in the sense above, is the same as the UK concept of TOCs - I particularly like East Coast. If in the sense of train type - I'm a big fan of Class 43s (HST) especially in Cross country livery. :)

Oh I find locomotives fascinating as machinery! I like to know how stuff works. I'd really like it if some body parked one and let me look all through it. Better yet I'd like to see one being built and how its put together in person. I'd help my self to look in the parked ones at the nearest yard but I'm sure that would look really suspicious and get me in trouble!

I also really wan'ted to intern with a local company but sadly I just missed the end of the internship program by a few months. You had to be 18 and I was 17.8. They no longer have it 4 years later. However I MAYBE will get my chance through a family friend who has dealings with the company and needs photographer.

As would I, I've applied at Bombardier a few times but never heard back, maybe one day :P Fingers crossed for that Photographer job though, it would be awesome to do and I'm sure you'd love it :)

As for travelling, it is my intention to travel the world one day and ride some famous routes (as well as visit some lovely places, but I have my priorities right ;) ).

Steam enthusiast myself, but I did a bit of train spotting when I was younger.

But I basically into anything old engineering wise.

I love trains and always have!

Those mighty diesel hood units particularly impress me. I also find elevated tracks in an urban setting really awesome.

In the US they have a wonderful program called Railcamp which is sponsored by the NRHS and you get to work on a tourist railroad ( Steamtown for teens/ Nevada Northern for adults) for a week and really get down and dirty with all it takes to keep steam locomotives working.

Not sure I'd you are ever in PA but the East Broad Top in Mt. Washington (central part of state) has an old overgrown yard in town with WW1 era cars rusting away in the woods. Very much up your alley it sounds like.

Diesel or go home! :P

If "railroad", in the sense above, is the same as the UK concept of TOCs - I particularly like East Coast. If in the sense of train type - I'm a big fan of Class 43s (HST) especially in Cross country livery. :)

Railroad is different name in England?

I've never been to UK

Railroad is different name in England?

I've never been to UK

Yep, called a Railway here.

Electrics are better than diesel! Lol

Electrics are better than diesel! Lol

Environmentally and speed wise they are fabulous! You can't beat them for pedestrian transportation!

Nothing can beat the massive diesels on the freight lines for me though! Unless they get electric ones with more power. Lol. Then I'll vote for electric freight. But the sound! I'd miss hearing them.

And the freight tracks don't electrocute you if you fall on them, or have wires in the way 8)

Yeah...emd's are nice! We don't have any freight lines that are electrified in the US.

Yeah...emd's are nice! We don't have any freight lines that are electrified in the US.

Nope. But that would be pretty awesome if they did!

That's probably my favorite thing about America, the vast network of trains. Particularly freight EMD's. Canada has them too but most of Canada's space is empty like Russia. I like vast wilderness too but its more fun to come across rail roads in it. haha!

Strange, I hate normal roads(other than for practicality of course), but rail I love.

Ontario has some fantastic railroads...the passenger trains in Canada still use Budd passenger cars from the 50s on some lines!

Ontario has some fantastic railroads...the passenger trains in Canada still use Budd passenger cars from the 50s on some lines!

I haven't seen much there but I've seen some pictures and it does look nice.

There's a railroad in Ohio(?) that is so awful and they still use it. The train seriously looks like it will fall over on its side in some parts. I believe I read it is 50 miles long but from the video's I would think it must take many hours to get from point a to point b. I'd love to photograph along that line. However i'm not sure if they have repaired it or abandoned it. It was entirely over grown with weeds and small saplings and the tracks had a very visible vertical and lateral bend to them. Like a very bad case of sun kinks but it was in 47F temperatures near winter. I can only imagine sun kinks on that track! Lol It would be entirely impassible.

I like this narrow gauge one. Brings up childhood memories (and slight homesickness). I can still hear the whistle of the train and the squeaking of the wheels and cogwheel going up steep mountain slopes...

http://www.bahnbilder.de/bilder/fo-furka-oberalp-bahn-208306.jpg. I do love travelling by train generally though...:-)

• 3 weeks later...

I like them. Except when I'm late and they're at the crossing! Otherwise, I like watching them. I even got to ride one in Atlanta once when I was a kid. I like them even more after watching the Dumb Ways To Die video.

I like travelling by train :) In fact it's my preffered method of long-distance transportation. Though, if you asked me I couldn't tell you why exactly ;)

Interestingly, I'm now recording a collection of supernaturally-themed short stories joined by a common theme of railway. Just yesterday I read (for recording) a rather amusing story about a guy (a court clerk) who, every day after work, embarks on what he calls "symbolic journeys"- he stands in a line, buys an - imaginary - ticket, waits with trepidation for his train, then jostles with other passengers for the seats elbowing them left and right if need be, sits with elation on "his" place, and then, when the signal for the departure is given, he quickly leaves the train :D I can relate to that to some small extent.

Archived