Travel insurance

Anyone coming who's never been to Canada (Toronto)? Do you all have traveler's health insurance?

Definitely going! Totally up for this. I imagine coffee meet ups and sunshiney picnics in the heart of Toronto!

YAY!!!!!

Anyone coming who's never been to Canada (Toronto)? Do you all have traveler's health insurance?

Never been to Canada, but I wasn't planning on any insurance. I'll only be there 7 days.

Never been to Canada, but I wasn't planning on any insurance. I'll only be there 7 days.

The one thing I will say about insurance - especially heath insurance - is you never predict needing it. But, you can fall and break your ankle just as easily in another country as you can at home, and you're in a strange place with very different rules on healthcare. I think some places offer *very* short-term travel health insurance specifically for the duration of your trip to keep you covered in these cases, so you're not owing a hospital in another country thousands of dollars if something *does* happen.

I myself am about 98% sure that my health insurance policy (employer plan) will cover me out-of-country, but I do need to call and find out if I need to do anything special to *use* those benefits out-of-country.

The one thing I will say about insurance - especially heath insurance - is you never predict needing it. But, you can fall and break your ankle just as easily in another country as you can at home, and you're in a strange place with very different rules on healthcare. I think some places offer *very* short-term travel health insurance specifically for the duration of your trip to keep you covered in these cases, so you're not owing a hospital in another country thousands of dollars if something *does* happen.

I myself am about 98% sure that my health insurance policy (employer plan) will cover me out-of-country, but I do need to call and find out if I need to do anything special to *use* those benefits out-of-country.

I'm going to second that: skipping on travel health insurance is never a good idea when going to another country. When I spent a week in Salem last summer, I picked up health insurance for fairly cheap. Checking with your bank is a good first place to see what's available for reasonable travel insurance.

• Like 1

Do you have visa card that contain traveler's health coverage? My mom applied for a visa that has half million health insurance coverage in the states.

Do you have visa card that contain traveler's health coverage? My mom applied for a visa that has half million health insurance coverage in the states.

...possibly. I have a Visa, Discover, and MasterCard, and I know that all of them have extra "benefits" that aren't generally used. I'll look into those, but I think my actual health insurance has me covered anyway.

• Like 1

If any Americans are trying to find travel insurance, I use the insurance offered through AAA. It's reasonably priced (as far as I can tell) although I've never had to actually test how well and easily it works.

I have been around the world a few times, visited 73 countries, hundreds of border crossings, wore out three passports, and have never had travel insurance.

Last time I went to Spain (from the UK) travel insurance cost me £6 for a week. You just need to shop around for a good deal. If you had a serious accident, or worse died, the cost would be astronomical for you in the former case, and your family in the latter. I don't know about the US, but to repatriate a body here without travel insurance costs thousands.

£6 for a week is a good deal and well worth it.

As far as I know, my regular insurance covers just about everything, but for some people, it may not. I have good insurance because I have a good job, but in earlier years, had nothing like it.

I have been around the world a few times, visited 73 countries, hundreds of border crossings, wore out three passports, and have never had travel insurance.

:blink:

I got a travel insurnance which covers every country. Pretty handy ^_^

£6 for a week is a good deal and well worth it.

As far as I know, my regular insurance covers just about everything, but for some people, it may not. I have good insurance because I have a good job, but in earlier years, had nothing like it.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure my regular health insurance covers me almost everywhere. One of the benefits of an employer plan PPO - but I know many don't have something like I have.

Coming from Europe, many insurance websites make us choose whether or not we're traveling to the USA/Canada area. But USA being included makes the price higher (average I was asked is 80 euro per week).

On WorldNomads, instead, we can simply exclude USA, and policy for the rest of the world includes Canada. I've spent 30 euros: https://www.worldnomads.com/

Yeah, I went to France for a month a year or so ago and had no insurance. I might get some if everything else doesn't cost too much.

• 9 years later...

(Below is an official, green, mod message.)

Hi, everyone. This event has finished.

So, it's being locked.

LeChat,

Welcome Lounge, Announcements, and Alternate Language moderator