Car Pooling master post WorldPride 2014

ThaHoward

Here is where you will find info regarding car pooling.

This map is a great instrument to detirmine who you may car pool with. From here you wil see who is in your near area and where the gathering spots are. We will also mark up suggested routes. It would be cool if you marked where you are (don't need to be your excact location, can also only be the state) on the map, or we can do it for you.

Originally written by sunmarsh, so all credit to him:

Phew! Took a while but it's all set up!

I've set up a survey using Google forms that you can take here. If you would like editing privileges to the form, michaeld, let me know.

Anyone can check the results of the survey by checking this spreadsheet. The survey results will automatically populate in the spreadsheet in real time. If you would like, you can File>Make a copy of the spreadsheet if you want to be able to edit/organize it yourself (note that personal copies will not auto-populate any new survey results). You are also able to Insert>Comment on the spreadsheet if you would like.

The second thing I've done is set up AVEN a collection of Trello boards for WorldPride 2014. You can access them here. You don't have to have a Trello account in order to view the boards, but you do need one in order to edit or add to them. The boards are very bare bones at the moment, but if you would like to assist and don't already have a Trello account, I would appreciate if you signed up via this link. Signing up via the referral link will give us access to cool board backgrounds and pretty stickers, which we totally need! ;P

Again, michaeld if you would like admin access to the Trello organization please let me know your Trello contact info and I will add you. I think I may have to personally add anyone who wants editing privileges to the organization and/or board, so if you would like to assist (and I do encourage this, as I'm unable to add all the info myself!) please send me a message or reply here.

Questions and answers:

Q: Who would be interested in taking part in such a scheme - doing part of the driving and/or making an appropriate cost to petrol and other expenses?
A: Please refer to the poll up here. We will also make it easier for you by pairing you up with other car poolers if you need help doing so.

Q: What are the best routes to consider?
A: This googlemaps https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zYVZkJYB5JM8.kkTK0DUfJw7k may be a very useful tool to plan a route.

General information:

Tips:

-Have enough food and drinks. If you have enough food and water it results in less stops for getting something to eat or drink. A portable refregiator is a wise investment to store food and drinks.

-Have more than one driver (with driver's license), then you can change between driving and don't have to stop (or get in an accident) because the driver is fatigued.

-Be prepared to sleep in the car. So check out if, and how, you can sleep in your car. You may also need to bring blankets, pillows etc. for extra comfort. Sleeping in the car may be effective for both sparing money, and in case you're too late to your destination or all the hotels, motels etc, are fullbooked.

-If you're going to sleep on the way, stay out of WalMart parking lots, as much criminality take place there. Instead sleep over at gas stations, as that is close to a highway, trailer drivers sleep over there, it is attendence there, plus you may buy food and drinks and go to the toiler and brush your teeth.

-Plan your trip! And it is better to add extra time on your estimates for arrival, much due to different events you can't foresee,like accidents and major traffic jams. Both of these (and other things) will drain much time.

-Invest in a GPS, this will make your travel lot easier.

-Bring a cellphone charger that may charge cellphones in the car.

Any suggestions, comments and help is welcomed. And keep in mind that this thread will be updated and is not finished yet.

• 2 weeks later...
deleted00account

Any northern Californians want to see if we can make this work? I can only spare $500 or less for this whole trip and I'm sure ya'll don't want to spend a lot either, so we'd have to get enough carpoolers together to make it worthwhile, IMO.

Already took the poll, posted on the map.

• 4 months later...
blitheslife

Is this the only topic for carpooling? I have space for three in my car and I'm coming up from Montreal on the 27th. I'm leaving early on the 29th though and I'm going to Ottawa, not back to Montreal right away.

Is this the only topic for carpooling? I have space for three in my car and I'm coming up from Montreal on the 27th. I'm leaving early on the 29th though and I'm going to Ottawa, not back to Montreal right away.

So far as I know - yes, this is the mighty Carpooling informational spot. It does lead me to wonder exactly how few people are driving\carpooling, but be sure to check out the links for the spreadsheet and map.

So far as I know - yes, this is the mighty Carpooling informational spot. It does lead me to wonder exactly how few people are driving\carpooling, but be sure to check out the links for the spreadsheet and map.

There is another car pooling thread in this forum, though it is not as organized as this one. Michael took Wolf.star's helpful post about estimated expenses for carpooling in one of the early WorldPride threads and started a new thread with that. There are some helpful tips and information in that thread that are not mentioned in Howard's post here.

mineralelements

Anybody on the way from Austin and want to carpool with me? Get in touch!

• 8 years later...

(Below is an official, green, mod message.)

Hi, everyone. This event has finished.

So, it's being locked.

LeChat,

Welcome Lounge, Announcements, and Alternate Language moderator