WorldPride 2014 Poster Design (call for suggestions)

Poster Designs

---------------------------------------------------------

Notice:

Does anyone else have poster designs they wish to submit before this thread is locked? This is last call.

Other notes:

It's been discussed that we will be using this poster as the default poster: http://i.imgur.com/OoD6bmf.jpg

(logo and location blurred until conference location is confirmed

Any other posters submitted will be used as optional posters for people to choose from if they wish.

---------------------------------------------------------

We are looking for people to share suggestions as to what you want the Asexual WorldPride poster to look like.
Designers may also contribute ideas and help if needed.

Size of document: A3 (16.5in x 11.7in)
It is for online and print.

Here is the information we are going to display on the poster:

• Asexuality World Festival 2014 - 25-29 June 2014
  • Sat 28 June, One day free international conference at Ryerson with talks, panels, workshops and media opportunities, for asexuals, gray-As and interested members of the public and press.
  • Sat 29 June, WorldPride march (details here)
  • contact address: wp2014@asexuality.org
  • a selection of social media: say facebook and tumblr
  • link or mention of AVEN WP forum
  • asexual definition
  • leave a space for the conference registration form link
  • logo for worldpride and leave space for conference location logo
  • definition of asexual
  • "Note: If you wish to request ASL interpretation at the conference or have any other special needs please email us."
  • optional: June 25-27 - WorldPride Human Rights Conference- The WorldPride Human Rights Conference will include a presentation: “From bananas to zucchinis: How talking about asexuality can contribute to queer and trans* positive, comprehensive, sexual education.”
Edited by amygdala

What do you mean when you say "leave a space for the conference registration form"? Is this solely a digital piece or will it be printed?

Ideas: I think that the poster should find a way to relate the colors & symbols of the ace community to that of LGBT in a way that shows harmony and unity. The first thing that comes to mind is the prism, which can split light into the colors of the rainbow but also looks a lot like the AVEN logo (which could even be incorporated into the design). Perhaps some design which takes the purple from the rainbow and splits that up into the colors of the ace pride flag. Bullet points on the poster (if any) could be small spade symbols.

• Like 2

What do you mean when you say "leave a space for the conference registration form"? Is this solely a digital piece or will it be printed?

Ideas: I think that the poster should find a way to relate the colors & symbols of the ace community to that of LGBT in a way that shows harmony and unity. The first thing that comes to mind is the prism, which can split light into the colors of the rainbow but also looks a lot like the AVEN logo (which could even be incorporated into the design). Perhaps some design which takes the purple from the rainbow and splits that up into the colors of the ace pride flag. Bullet points on the poster (if any) could be small spade symbols.

Sorry, It is both digital and print. I added the size to the original post.

How much space will the registration form take up on the poster? There's no way I'll be able to make it to WP, but I'd like to help out somehow, and could try and help with the poster design. I like the design ideas suggested so far, and would like to work with those.

The registration form would not be on the poster itself - only a link to the form. It's possible the link to the form could be unnecessary since we will have links to our Facebook and Tumblr, and these will contain a link to the forms. But the poster should tell people that to register they should visit one of these sites or email us.

So I think that prism idea was great. This is what I've whipped up from that idea.

(I haven't added details or anything, just seeing what people think about this before proceeding.

http://i.imgur.com/yb4PGy0.jpg?1

Edit: Look a couple posts down for the more complete version.

It looks great! Love the interpretation!

I might bold the letters in the website URL, at least in the print version. You might also consider adding QR codes for print to any links. I would also replace "@" with "at" and perhaps change the border around the prism to be rainbow? I feel it would look more like a WorldPride advert that way.

Amy, wow :o That looks A-MAZING! :cake::cake: :aven: :aven: :aven: :aven: :aven: :aven: :aven:

Amy, wow :o That looks A-MAZING! :cake::cake: :aven: :aven: :aven: :aven: :aven: :aven: :aven:

Thanks. I'm super proud of it. :wub:

Looks great! Questions though... where do the QR codes link to? Might be helpful to have some sort of one-word label stating what they are. Also, I don't think it's appropriate for digital versions of the poster to feature QR codes, a hyperlink would be much more convenient- of course, that needs to be done on the HTML side of things. Not sure which version you're showcasing or if you only plan to make one version.

Second, I think that bolding the section headings (June 28 - Conference / June 29 - Pride Parade / Contact) would help things stand out and look more organized. Additionally, I think that the font size of these headings should be the same ("Connect" is larger than the dates) and that the spacing between headings and subtext should standardized across the poster (e.g. there is much more blank space after "Connect") You might also consider replacing "Facebook" and "Tumblr" with their site symbols to help reduce the amount of words on the page. I would also suggest trimming the final sentence to read "Visit the WorldPride 2014 forum at asexuality.org to join the conversation."

Also, if you're looking to further reduce the amount of clutter on the advert you can remove the description of the pride parade altogether, as it only mentions the street name and does not provide a time (understandably as it may not be set yet).

Oh I liked that one ^_^ Especially with the LGBT colors and asexual colors going hand in hand.

Not sure what we can do with this, but I got the idea.

gwqKvMg.jpg

Not sure what we can do with this, but I got the idea.

Hey, can you shorten the FB url now?
Can you go to the Skype group? I wanted to make sure that everyone is ok with the url.

Disclaimer: I hope that my criticism of these pieces has been/is constructive; I do not mean to tell you that what you've done is wrong. I'm just a picky person and my goal is to make your work the best it can be- not to point out flaws!

Aqua-ace: The title (Asexuality @ WorldPride) needs to be centered (yes, I measured it XD). "Asexuality" could probably be made larger. I also think that the purple border looks a bit cheesy. It may look better if the font is bolded though. Something I didn't note in amygdala's poster, but I think could work for both, is shortening the URL to "asexuality.org" I would also suggest changing the font of the entire poster to something a bit more sophisticated. I don't have the right vocabulary to describe what type of font I would recommend any better than that, unfortunately.

Next, I think there is an extra space in "..29th, 2014" between the comma and "2014". I think that it might be wise to make the date and location (in the purple header) stand out a bit more, perhaps change the font size or color. The bullet points are not equal distance from the margin, and the bold headings are not centered with respect to the bullet point. What program did you use to make this? If you used GIMP the Alignment tool will really help you to make sure everything is spaced properly, as can inserting guides and enabling "snap to guides" from the View menu.

I love the pride rainbow & ace colors and how you interpreted their connection! The only thing is that because they are offset you've created these two rectangular spaces and it looks like you should have some sort of text there or perhaps try to rework the bar to get the flag colors on the same level, perhaps with the AVEN prism placed where they would meet?

I think that you could move the website URL from the top to the bottom, resting on top of the ace flag colors. In the smaller space below the rainbow you could put facebook and tumblr icons and remove them from the "staying connected" section (although again, one would have to insert hyperlinks on top of the image to the appropriate pages- I don't know where this image is going/if someone knows how to do this). Alternatively, you could put a small AVEN triangle along with the word "AVEN" next to it.

gjpb3rll.png

So I decided to make my own... ^^; Original size is here. (previous version) Note that current registration link is going to google.com (as a filler) as we don't have the real link yet.

Edited by sunmarsh
  • Like 5

That looks great! Would it be possible to have the definition of asexuality? (The one on the top on the site)

ThaHoward: I've added it to the top and made room for the registration link. I've edited my previous post to show the updated pic (or link here).