Cultural Background Poll

TellerCam

Cultural Background  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Which part of the world were you born in?

• North America
    • Central America
    • Caribbean
    • South America
    • Europe
    • Africa
    • Asia
    • Australia
    • Pacific Islands
    • Other (Feel free to specify the country)
  2. 2. What is your native language?

• English
    • Russian
    • German
    • Spanish
    • Chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese, Wu/Shanghaiese, etc.)
    • French
    • Japanese
    • Arabic
    • Portuguese
    • Polish
    • Italian
    • Turkish
    • Dutch
    • Persian (Farsi)
    • Czech
    • Swedish
    • Indonesian (or Malay)
    • Greek
    • Romanian
    • Other (Specify)
  3. 3. What religion were you raised with? (If any?)

• Christianity (Catholicism or Orthodox)
    • Christianity (Protestant)
    • Christianity (Other)
    • Islam (Sunni)
    • Islam (Shia, Sufi, or Other)
    • Hinduism (Vishnuism or Shaivism)
    • Hinduism (Shaktism, Smartism, or Other)
    • Buddhism (Theraveda)
    • Buddhism (Mahayana)
    • Buddhism (Tibetan or Other)
    • Taoism
    • Confucianism
    • Sikhism
    • Jainism
    • Zoroastrianism
    • Judaism
    • Baha'i Faith
    • Paganism (Wicca, Neopagan, Druid, etc.)
    • Shinto
    • Atheist/Agnostic/Other
  4. 4. What country do you currently live in?

• China
    • United States
    • India
    • Japan
    • Brazil
    • Russia
    • Germany
    • Nigeria
    • United Kingdom
    • France
    • Mexico
    • Korea
    • Indonesia
    • Philippines
    • Egypt
    • Vietnam
    • Turkey
    • Italy
    • Spain
    • Other (Specify)
  5. 5. Are you happy with where you live right now?

• Yes! I wouldn't live anywhere else.
    • Yes, but it would be nice to move somewhere else someday.
    • Somewhat. There are ups and downs.
    • No, but I can't necessarily leave anytime soon.
    • No, I'm miserable here. I want to be anywhere but here.
    • I don't know./I don't care.
  6. 6. Are you free to express your (a)sexuality in society?

• Yes, it's a free country!
    • Yes, legally speaking, but society hasn't fully accepted it.
    • Somewhat. I am legally recognized but socially rejected.
    • Somewhat. I am legally rejected but socially recognized.
    • No, I am not socially accepted. Legal system doesn't recognize my (a)sexuality as a legitimate orientation.
    • No, I am not socially accepted, and my (a)sexuality is illegal.
    • Other (Specify).
  7. 7. What is your sexual orientation?

• Asexual
    • Heterosexual
    • Homosexual
    • Bisexual
    • Demisexual
    • Pansexual
    • Other (Specify)
  8. 8. Are you free to express your gender identity in society?

• Yes! I can be myself anytime and anywhere.
    • Yes, I am legally recognized, but there are a few stingy people in public.
    • Somewhat. I'm legally recognized, but society doesn't accept me as easily.
    • Somewhat. I'm socially accepted, but my legal status doesn't match my identity.
    • No. I'm socially rejected, but I'm in the process of having my gender legally recognized.
    • No, I'm socially rejected, and I cannot legally change my status to match my gender identity.
    • Other Circumstance.
  9. 9. What is your gender identity?

• Female
    • Male
    • Transgender (MtF)
    • Transgender (FtM)
    • Androgynous
    • Genderless/Agender
    • Neutrois
    • Bigender
    • Trigender
    • Pangender
    • Genderfluid
    • Other (Specify)
  10. 10. Are you happy with your cultural background?

• Yes.
    • Somewhat.
    • No.

This poll is closed to new votes

Wouldn't North Korea be the most atheist country? It is communist!

Born in the middle of america - Indiana...a corn filled backwoods of Evangelical Christians and gun loving protectors of all babies. So if you like kids it is actually an okay place to raise them so long as you don't let them go to public school!

My dads family came from Poland/Russia/Germany ( town changed hands depending on the day of the week) and eventually moved here in the 20s because being a Jew in the Russian army just wasn't a very nice prospect.

Moms family is a giant mix of every European you can think of ( but no spain) and actually came over in the 1700s.

Raised atheist and no I don't fit in at all with the mentality of this state or even country...I've always been a European kid born in America. If I could move I totally would and never look back!

Just curious... why is Czech Republic considered the most atheist country in the world?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_atheism#Czech_Republic

The results are usually provided by different organizations, though, with samples that aren't always comparable.

Haha, I think it is because I live hera and I can see that even people who are "religious" - which means their parents try to rise them with some official religion, are in fact total opposite of what conservative religious people are, they don´t take their religion seriously and don´t believe in God. They just go to the church because their parents want them to do so. And when they are adult, they stop going there.

That non-religious thing here is because of communistic dictature, which was forced on us since the end of WW2 to 1989. The only supported "religion" was communism during that era. This influenced many people who later had children who are raised as total atheists. These people are my generation or younger.

I think for the religious part there should be a single 'none' option.

I was raised without any religion, because my parents wanted me to decide that for myself. I had religious influences in my life, and still do, but I have not been raised under any religion (but that doesn't mean I was raised agnostic or atheist either. It literally means my parents let me be exposed to different religions but didn't make me practice any growing up. They didn't teach me that science is the answer or anything, let left me to decide that for myself and answered any questions I had while allowing me to explore different religions when I wanted to).

1. I was born in Europe

2. My native language is English

3. I wasn't raised with any religion.

4. I live in England

5. I am happy to live in England, but I am not entirely unwilling to move. I'd probably stick to living somewhere in Europe though, maybe even on the same island/cluster of islands.

6. I am free to express my asexuality, but not many people have heard of or believe in it so I do face some opposition if I openly and obviously express my asexuality. But I am not really at any risk for it. There's just a lot of ignorance here.

7. My sexual orientation is asexuality.

8. I am free to express my gender identity (its not against the law or anything), but its not a very clean cut identity (which is why I just stick with the umbrella term 'genderqueer'). This also means I'm not necessarily legally recognised, but considering I'm technically under the trans* umbrella I kinda, sorta am. I do face more risk with my gender identity than my sexual one, but I don't think there's too much of a threat to my personal well being. I am free to express my gender identity, but not without risk.

9. I consider myself to be 'genderqueer'. I'd prefer a gender neutral body, but I do lean more towards the masculine side.

10. I am happy with my cultural background. It has its flaws (so, so many flaws), but overall I'm pretty content.

Which part of the world were you born in? Central America

What is your native language? Spanish

What religion were you raised with? - Atheism/Agnostic/Other

2nd worldview ignostic -

• First worldview ignosticism - The worldview in which one does not carry the postulation that god has a single reference meaning of god. In some cases, people of the first worldview ignosticism has tried looking into what's exactly is god, but fails to even understand it.
  • Second worldview ignosticism- The assertion that the concept of god is not universally agreed upon and follows the postulation that there are several different conceptualization of god as there is no single reference meaning of god [ignosticism-Internet Archive-Wikipedia]
  • Third worldview ignosticism AKA theological noncognivism - The position in which one believes that the word god is not cognitively meaningful and assumes that the word god does not refer to anything that exists nor it has literal significance. [Theological noncognitivism-Wikipedia]

What country do you live in? United States

Are you happy where you live now? I don't know/I don't care

Are you free to express (a)sexuality in society? Other (Specify) - Don't care to check

What is your sexual orientation? Other (Specify) - Define sexual orientation

Are you free to express your gender identity in society? Other Circumstance - I don't get gender

What is your gender identity? Other (Specify) - I don't get gender

Are you happy with your cultural background? Somewhat - Needs a I don't care option.

Just curious... why is Czech Republic considered the most atheist country in the world?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_atheism#Czech_Republic

The results are usually provided by different organizations, though, with samples that aren't always comparable.

Haha, I think it is because I live hera and I can see that even people who are "religious" - which means their parents try to rise them with some official religion, are in fact total opposite of what conservative religious people are, they don´t take their religion seriously and don´t believe in God. They just go to the church because their parents want them to do so. And when they are adult, they stop going there.

That non-religious thing here is because of communistic dictature, which was forced on us since the end of WW2 to 1989. The only supported "religion" was communism during that era. This influenced many people who later had children who are raised as total atheists. These people are my generation or younger.

That makes sense. Maybe that's why there aren't many religious people in China, either.

Regarding my gender identity: I am a transgender man and my gender identity is male. I do not vote FTM on any question of gender identity; my trans status is not my gender identity (aside from which I don't like the term FtM and I use it only when I'm too tired or in the wrong language to explain). I am very much free to share my gender identity anywhere and anytime. What I'm not free to share is my transgender status.

Captain Darkhorse

I'll only explain the "other" answer. My native language is English, but I grew up in a Jewish immigrant household, so I also spoke biblical Hebrew and Yiddish as a child. I've since dropped the Hebrew, but I still speak a bit of Yiddish.

Letthemeatcake23

I'm the only Baha'i & MTF who voted In this poll lol. & shoutout to Mormon aces! I was raised Mormon. :-DD

I think for the religious part there should be a single 'none' option.

I was raised without any religion, because my parents wanted me to decide that for myself. I had religious influences in my life, and still do, but I have not been raised under any religion (but that doesn't mean I was raised agnostic or atheist either. It literally means my parents let me be exposed to different religions but didn't make me practice any growing up. They didn't teach me that science is the answer or anything, let left me to decide that for myself and answered any questions I had while allowing me to explore different religions when I wanted to).

I'm really sorry for not putting one in. I was debating about it, but then I ran out of room and didn't want to exclude various other religion options.

I'm the only Baha'i & MTF who voted In this poll lol. & shoutout to Mormon aces! I was raised Mormon. :-DD

Yay! I'm Mormon/LDS myself. :) The Baha'i Faith is such an interesting religion. I'm really glad to know that there's a Baha'i ace here!

• 2 months later...
AnomalyEternal

1. Australia.
2. English though I was almost raised to learn Dutch at the same time.
3. I was raised as both a Christian and an Atheist. My grandparents are Christian, quite devout too, but the rest of my family is Atheist.
4. I still live in Australia
5. It's a nice place, but there a lot of other countries I'd love to explore.
6. I don't usually express it, but the people around me don't usually understand how I couldn't possible want to laugh at their sex joke or join in the game of 'who I shagged on the weekend'.
7. I am asexual.
8. No one seems to mind me expressing my gender identity most of the time. The extent of remotely-close-to-negative response I receive is 'they're a bit weird'.
9. I identify as Androgyne, though I am still not completely sure.
10. Yes, I am happy with my cultural background.

• 2 weeks later...
WhenSummersGone

1. North America.

2. English.

3. Atheist, I think.

4. Other - Canada.

5. No but I can't leave anytime soon.

6. Other - I haven't come out.

7. Demisexual.

8. Other - I haven't talked about it.

9. I voted Agender but I should have voted other (Demigirl).

10. Somewhat.

Which part of the world were you born in?

North America

What is your native language?

Italian and English

my first language was Italian (my parents immigrated from Italy) and then around senior kindergarten I learned english

What religion were you raised with?

raised Catholic

What country do you currently live in?

Canada :D

Are you happy with where you live right now?

Yes.

I love it!

Are you free to express your (a)sexuality in society?

Yes. It's a free country.

What's your sexual orientation?

Asexual.

What's your gender identity?

female

Are you happy with your culural background?

Yes.

Which part of the world were you born in?

Europe

What is your native language?

German

What religion were you raised with?

Catholic. But I see myself as an atheist and left church a few years ago.

What country do you currently live in?

Austria

Are you happy with where you live right now?

Yes. Austria is a beautiful country and I am happy here. The people are mostly nice and tolerant and women have the same chances in work life as their male parts does. Of course there are things which have to change in the future (allowed marriage between homosexuals, same salary of men and women, etc.), but that's in nearly all countries the case ;)

Are you free to express your (a)sexuality in society?

Yes, but I don't want to. My family and a good friend know it - for the moment enough people.

What's your sexual orientation?

aromantic asexual

What's your gender identity?

female

Are you happy with your culural background?

Yes, I am ^_^

Maroshka H'ghar

Born and raised in Mexico, currently live in the US, but i definitely want to live in other countries before I settle down for good.

I was surprised there were not many Aces, or people in this site, from Latino-america but then I remembered that while living there It didn't even occurred to me that I was Asexual, I didn't even knew what Asexual was, never heard of it. I just thought there was something wrong with me and that one day something would just snap into place. Mexican culture is so sex-centered, and heterosexual-centered that I really don't even want to come out to anyone there, except for my two best friends to whom I came out to as soon as I discovered that I wasn't broken, I was asexual.

You can imagine how confusing and hard was growing up as asexual in a culture so obsessed with sex that you don't even know that asexuality is a thing. I wish I had known sooner, It really would've changed my life, I mean it did, but it would've been nice if it had been sooner.

As of the question about being free to express my asexuality in society:

I guess, I mean I don't really do anything differently, other than now I shut my eyes during sex scenes in movies, and an "Eww" occasionally escapes my mouth when my mom or stepfather mention dating, and I think they're worried haha, but as of being in public, nobody really knows, and nobody really asks either. If I get hit on I might explain, but I've gotten pretty good at thinking ahead and preventing that from happening (people hitting on me or asking me out).

• 1 month later...
ChihuahuaDaddy

I was born in the USA. My mother also was born in the USA and my father was born in Canada.

My mom is from a very Catholic family of mixed Irish and Spanish background, though she left the church and is much more spiritual than religious. My dad was from a Slavic and Eastern Orthodox background, but became an agnostic. My brother and I weren't raised to be religious. My brother is an atheist and I consider myself much more spiritual than religious.

As for asexuality, I never felt any desire for sex. When I was a teenager, asexuality was unknown. When he was drunk, which was frequent, my dad accused me of being gay and mocked me. Then, when he learned that I was attracted to girls, he still mocked me for not having any sexual desire. My mom, in contrast, has always been understanding. She thought that my lack of sexual desire was because of my medications, but she never pressured me to have sex.

I put 'Christian' as that was the faith I was raised in but I no longer align to any faith because I am spiritual rather than religious.

ChihuahuaDaddy

I put 'Christian' as that was the faith I was raised in but I no longer align to any faith because I am spiritual rather than religious.

"I was Catholic, until I reached the age of reason."

- George Carlin

Realized I did this "wrong" and resubmitted before I found the edit option. Sorry forum!

TheStarrySkai

I was born in Costa Rica so my native language is spanish. My best language is english though. I moved to the united states when I was for, almost 5.

I suppose I like where I like. It can get a bit annoying, but it's alright. I'm not really 'out' as an asexual, but I'm not really hiding my sexuality either. My friends would treat me well though since I already have 4 asexual friends. I identify as androgynous, possibly genderfluid/neutrois. My parents don't really like it when I wear masculine clothing, they let me wear a chest binder though which is nice. My group of friends are really accepting of trans* people so, yay.

Charr Lee Gray

1) South America

2) Spanish

3) Catholicism

4) Argentina

5) Yes, but it would be nice to move somewhere else someday

6) Yes, legally speaking, but society hasn't fully accepted it

7) Greysexual

8) No, I'm socially rejected, and I cannot legally change my status to match my gender identity.

9) Androgynous/Androgyne

10) Somewhat

Proudly born and raised in Texas

Currently speak only English

Raised a Protestant Christian

Live in US

Happy to live in Texas, only somewhat happy to live in US

I am free to express my asexuality

I identify more as a demisexual, based on my newbie knowledge on the terms

I can be myself

I'm a male

[i think] I am happy with my cultural background - so maybe somewhat???

1.) Europe (Austria)

2.) German

3.) I picked 'Christianity (Catholicism or Orthodox)', but my parents weren't that religious. I never believed in God either, and I left church when I was 18.

4.) Other - I still live in Austria.

5.) Yes, but it would be nice to move somewhere else someday. I'd love to live in Southern France! :wub: But I don't think my French is good enough to work there.

6.) I didn't really know how to answer this question.. I don't think there's any country where asexuality is actually fully accepted tbh, but my situation is probably pretty good compared to other countries.

7.) Asexual

8.) Yes! I can be myself anytime and anywhere. It's the country of Conchita Wurst after all. :P

9.) I picked both 'Female' and 'Genderless/Agender'. I don't really identify as female and I don't think my gender presentation is that "girly", but I know society perceives me as female and it's not like I'd tell people to use different pronouns or anything like that.

10.) Somewhat.

I wish there were a reliable computer translator that could be used so that Asexuals in all languages could come together.

• 4 months later...

English, atheist, asexual, I was taught German and French at school, along with English, but the German I have almost totally forgotten. I have experienced no problems with sexual or gender identity, sometimes curiosity about asexuality but that is it. I would like to live abroad, somewhere more mountainous and with snowier winters!

• 2 months later...

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organization, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to re-start new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

Lady Girl, Moderator

Archived