Cultural Background Poll

TellerCam

Cultural Background  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Which part of the world were you born in?

• North America
    • Central America
    • Caribbean
    • South America
    • Europe
    • Africa
    • Asia
    • Australia
    • Pacific Islands
    • Other (Feel free to specify the country)
  2. 2. What is your native language?

• English
    • Russian
    • German
    • Spanish
    • Chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese, Wu/Shanghaiese, etc.)
    • French
    • Japanese
    • Arabic
    • Portuguese
    • Polish
    • Italian
    • Turkish
    • Dutch
    • Persian (Farsi)
    • Czech
    • Swedish
    • Indonesian (or Malay)
    • Greek
    • Romanian
    • Other (Specify)
  3. 3. What religion were you raised with? (If any?)

• Christianity (Catholicism or Orthodox)
    • Christianity (Protestant)
    • Christianity (Other)
    • Islam (Sunni)
    • Islam (Shia, Sufi, or Other)
    • Hinduism (Vishnuism or Shaivism)
    • Hinduism (Shaktism, Smartism, or Other)
    • Buddhism (Theraveda)
    • Buddhism (Mahayana)
    • Buddhism (Tibetan or Other)
    • Taoism
    • Confucianism
    • Sikhism
    • Jainism
    • Zoroastrianism
    • Judaism
    • Baha'i Faith
    • Paganism (Wicca, Neopagan, Druid, etc.)
    • Shinto
    • Atheist/Agnostic/Other
  4. 4. What country do you currently live in?

• China
    • United States
    • India
    • Japan
    • Brazil
    • Russia
    • Germany
    • Nigeria
    • United Kingdom
    • France
    • Mexico
    • Korea
    • Indonesia
    • Philippines
    • Egypt
    • Vietnam
    • Turkey
    • Italy
    • Spain
    • Other (Specify)
  5. 5. Are you happy with where you live right now?

• Yes! I wouldn't live anywhere else.
    • Yes, but it would be nice to move somewhere else someday.
    • Somewhat. There are ups and downs.
    • No, but I can't necessarily leave anytime soon.
    • No, I'm miserable here. I want to be anywhere but here.
    • I don't know./I don't care.
  6. 6. Are you free to express your (a)sexuality in society?

• Yes, it's a free country!
    • Yes, legally speaking, but society hasn't fully accepted it.
    • Somewhat. I am legally recognized but socially rejected.
    • Somewhat. I am legally rejected but socially recognized.
    • No, I am not socially accepted. Legal system doesn't recognize my (a)sexuality as a legitimate orientation.
    • No, I am not socially accepted, and my (a)sexuality is illegal.
    • Other (Specify).
  7. 7. What is your sexual orientation?

• Asexual
    • Heterosexual
    • Homosexual
    • Bisexual
    • Demisexual
    • Pansexual
    • Other (Specify)
  8. 8. Are you free to express your gender identity in society?

• Yes! I can be myself anytime and anywhere.
    • Yes, I am legally recognized, but there are a few stingy people in public.
    • Somewhat. I'm legally recognized, but society doesn't accept me as easily.
    • Somewhat. I'm socially accepted, but my legal status doesn't match my identity.
    • No. I'm socially rejected, but I'm in the process of having my gender legally recognized.
    • No, I'm socially rejected, and I cannot legally change my status to match my gender identity.
    • Other Circumstance.
  9. 9. What is your gender identity?

• Female
    • Male
    • Transgender (MtF)
    • Transgender (FtM)
    • Androgynous
    • Genderless/Agender
    • Neutrois
    • Bigender
    • Trigender
    • Pangender
    • Genderfluid
    • Other (Specify)
  10. 10. Are you happy with your cultural background?

• Yes.
    • Somewhat.
    • No.

This poll is closed to new votes

I really like cultural diversity, so I decided to throw together an ultra-lengthy poll about cultural background. I'm curious as to how many similarities and/or differences that we have on AVEN.

1.) I was born in Sweden, which is in Europe.

2.) I spoke three languages growing up. My father spoke Portuguese, my mother spoke English, and I lived in Sweden, so everyone else spoke Swedish. I knew a little bit of all three growing up.

3.) I was raised Christian my whole life, but I switched denominations as a teenager. I was originally Seventh-day Adventist, but as I got older, I converted to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and became Mormon.

4.) I live in the United States at the moment.

5.) I really love living in the United States, especially in California. However, I really miss Europe. I miss Sweden, Portugal, and Denmark. I would love to return to Europe, or even get adventurous and move to a country I've never been to. I'd try living in Canada, Mexico, Brazil, South Korea, China, or Japan if given the opportunity.

6.) I feel really free and expressive about my asexuality. So far, I've never been condemned for it, but it's probably because I live in California, which is generally a super open-minded state when compared to the rest of the U.S. I do live in the conservative side of California, but even here, nobody has ever said that I needed to fix my asexuality, except for some of my family members. (But they don't count as society to me.)

7.) I'm asexual, but although I feel no sexual attraction, I can develop a deeper relationship with someone regardless of their gender. They can be binary (male or female) or non-binary, and I'd still feel the same things about them, hence why I'm potentially pansexual.

8.) Yeah, there's no way that my gender identity is legally valid in the United States. Here, only male and female are recognized, and if you're transsexual, you can change your gender from male to female or female to male. Non-binary genders don't exist in the constitution yet.

9.) My gender identity is really complicated. I portray myself as androgynous, so I look male and female simultaneously. It's neutral and usually difficult for people to interpret what I am. However, I personally identify as genderless, hence why I maintain a neutral appearance. On top of all that, I'm genderfluid, and if someone says he/she, I just roll with it and adopt mannerisms of the gender they describe me as.

10.) I'm really happy with my cultural background, because I'm open-minded to others as a result of it. I'm constantly learning new languages, new traditions, new customs, new beliefs, etc.

Born and raised, currently residing in Denmark and native language is Danish. Christianity etc., though I'm not a believer.

It's a free country, and I am most definitely free to be what I am, though some people may find it weird. Pretty happy with my country.

Would be nice to live in a different country for a while - probably not to eternity. Female, not really sure about concrete sexuality. A-/demi-/something.

Born, raised, and live in Italy (native language Italian), agnostic/atheist background (I was never prevented from following a religion, I just chose not to).

Sexuality: asexual. Legally recognised, but not fully socially accepted.

Gender: neutrois + fluid, not legally recognised (only transgender FtMs and MtFs are) and not socially accepted, for the most part.

I'm not happy where I live, but mostly for reasons related to politics and economics, and want to move out soon.

Which part of the world were you born in?

Europe

What is your native language?

Swedish & German.

My mother spoke Swedish and my father German I grew up speaking both of them as well as English.

What religion were you raised with?

Asatru Paganism, Angostism, and some really mild Catholicism.

My mother was an Asatruar and that's the main religious belief in my life. My father never spoke of religion but considering his background I would guess he was an Agnostic Catholic (my paternal grandfather came across as Catholic even though he never spoke of it or ever said out loud what he was.)

What country do you currently live in?

Sweden.

Are you happy with where you live right now?

Yes.

It's a great place, close to nature, kind people, safe, low crime rates etc, etc.

Are you free to express your (a)sexuality in society?

Yes. It's a free country.

Every once in a while I get a weird look but no one has ever said anything insulting, most people seem genuinly interested in learing about Asexuality.

What's your sexual orientation?

Asexual.

What's your gender identity?

Trigender and fuild.

Are you happy with your culural background?

Yes.

alpacaterpillar

Birthplace and current country are New Zealand so I chose "other" for those.

Agnostic, cis male, I put myself as having my gender and asexuality accepted, though I'm not actually out so I don't know about how accepted asexuality is, though people don't bother me about my sexuality. Apparently my university queer club includes asexuals, so I guess that's as much as I can go on.

I was amused that Australia was an option for the first (region) question, but not for which country you live in, so I said other for the latter. I also said 'somewhat, it has it's ups and downs' for whether I'm happy living here. In the past I would have said "yes, but I'd like to move someday", as I would like to move to London one day, but Australia has gone way downhill since Tony Abbott became PM.

I was born and raised in Canada speaking English natively, its also where I'm still living. Both my parents however are natively from Jamaica. My parents are christian (I think) and I was never really big on the going to church and praying and all that sort of jazz thing since i was little so I just call myself an "i-dont-care-ist" I'm some sort of non binary gender, and the only people who recognize that are some of my friends. As for sexuality....... ehhhhh thats hard. Definitely Asexual/Aromantic spectrum though.

born in finland, speak finnish as my native language, although I lived in england at age 0-6 so I learnt english alongside finnish.

I'm from Norway and speak Norwegian. I'm baptised and all that jive, but my parents were never really religious and my upbringing was more agnostic. While I might want to move to other places, it will mostly be to experience more of the world and whatnot, as I doubt there's anywhere I'd rather live than here.

Mycroft is Yourcroft

In the past I would have said "yes, but I'd like to move someday", as I would like to move to London one day, but Australia has gone way downhill since Tony Abbott became PM.

I hear you, I moved to London in July from Canberra where I grew up, for university, and based on what I've heard, Mr Rabbit isn't too popular...

I live in Iceland, which is in Europe, and have for my whole life. I have never travelled out of Europe :(
Since I'm from Iceland I also speak Icelandic, but I was taught English, Danish and German in school (English is the only language I have maintained).
Like most Icelandic people I was raised as a Lutheran (don't know if that is the right word in English...) but am now agnostic, and accepted for it by those that know.
I feel like Icelandic people are generally accepting towards different sexualities, so I'm quite sure I would be accepted by the people that matter to me and I care about.

I think that the rights for transgenders are behind, and that there is still much to do before they will be fully accepted as a part of society but I think more awareness and education is speeding things along, so YAY!

littleheartsofjoy

I was born and raised in Canada speaking English natively, its also where I'm still living. Both my parents however are natively from Jamaica. My parents are christian (I think) and I was never really big on the going to church and praying and all that sort of jazz thing since i was little so I just call myself an "i-dont-care-ist" I'm some sort of non binary gender, and the only people who recognize that are some of my friends. As for sexuality....... ehhhhh thats hard. Definitely Asexual/Aromantic spectrum though.

Yeah, I liked the poll but I have the same thing as you about my parents. Even though I was born in the United States and still live there, I wasn't raised by that way. I was raised Nigerian because both of my parents are from there.

I'm too lazy to write out my answers at the moment.

There are a lot of "other"s in my replies, so here it is:
I grew up speaking Portuguese, had to learn English (as everyone does these days; but, to be fair, I'm quite found of the language), tried to learn Japanese and French (with some success), and now I'm studying Swedish.

I was raised a catholic, but my family never really took it seriously. I began identifying as an atheist in my childhood.
I live in Brazil. I have a good life, because I'm fairly privileged. My family has enough money for all of us to live well, eat nice food, and buy things we like. But I hate the climate and lack of urban planning. I also hate the fact that we are doing a lousy job in protecting our forests and nature. I'd like to move somewhere else, but that's also because I've always wanted to live in many different places. I get an "itch" to move, after spending years in the same place. Maybe I'll go somewhere cold.
I'm not sure if I'm free to express my asexuality. I guess yes, legally (though there aren't any specific laws about asexuality), but I'd probably feel quite rejected by most people, if I were 100% out of closet. That being said, I'm not that interest in coming out of the closet, anyway.
I'm female, and being female often sucks in most of the world. Still, I have cis privilege, and I'm free to express myself as a female, as long as I don't deviate too much from the norm.
I replied "somewhat" to the last question, because I feel kinda neutral toward by cultural background. It's just who I am.

I'm from Europe, my native language is Polish, I was raised in a Catholic family (even though religion doesn't matter to me now). I've lived all my life in Poland, but since I've never lived anywhere else in my life I have no point of reference and therefore can't say if I would like to emigrate. I feel rather neutral about living here. I identify as cis male and asexual. I'm confused about the "freedom of expression" questions as I'm not sure what you are asking.

iamphoenixfire

From the US, raised speaking English (although my father grew up speaking English and Spanish, and I'm learning Spanish now). I was raised in a sort of Protestant family. My dad grew up Lutheran and my mother Catholic, and I've gone to Presbytarian, Evangelical, non-denominational, a megachurch, and, most recently, a mennonite church, which is my personal favorite. It's peaceful and they make good food. But, I'm more agnostic-theist myself. I'm still in the US, and I don't particularly enjoy it, especially the area where I live. It's too small and doesn't have what I want. I think when I grow up I'll move out west to Seattle or San Francisco or Portland or something. I'd rather live there than here. I'm demisexual, panromantic, and I think the former is more accepted, but not for the right reasons; I'm not saving myself for anyone, and the only reason I'm still a virgin is because the one human I'm sexually attracted to is my boyfriend who lives far away. And panromantic is accepted by most young people, but not the older folks. I'm also cis female, although I feel like gender is a creation of society and therefore irrelevant. We're all just people.

Which part of the world were you born in?

Canada (one of the English parts)

What is your native language?

English, though I have spoken fairly bad French for most of my life as well

What religion were you raised with?

None. Atheist father, vaguely theistic/agnostic mother but not religious. Have religious cousins however, so it was part of my extended family.

What country do you currently live in?

Belgium for a whole 3 more days, then back to Canada.

Are you happy with where you live right now?

Belgium is nice and I have enjoyed living here, but I am looking forward to going home.

Are you free to express your (a)sexuality in society?

Yup. But it usually comes out as "I don't talk about sex stuff and am very private." Some people would understand off the bat, some wouldn't, most would be ok if it was properly explained to them.

What's your sexual orientation?

Gray-homosexual. (but biromantic... shit be confusing sometimes...)

What's your gender identity?

Cisgenderless-female

Yup! Growing up in a very multi-cultural environment was kind of great. I was that white, vaguely UK decent kid who wished to have a stronger cultural background, bc Canada is weird and the culture doesn't feel that strong until you are somewhere else. (and start saying sorry all the time and say 'eh' and mention hockey and people just stare at you like an alien... then you feel pretty Canadian.) I am very sensitive to discrimination or people being bothered my multi-culturalism though bc it's such a no-brainer to me.

I wonder who else selected "Polish" as their mother tongue... :)

1. I was born in North America, specifically the United States, which is where I live now.

2. My native language is English, though I speak/understand Japanese fairly well also, having taken it in school from sixth grade up until the end of my sophomore year of college.

3. I was raised in a Reform Jewish household and tradition, and while I embrace my Jewish ethnic and cultural background wholeheartedly, I have never believed in a God of any sort, and so I struggled with that for many years.

4. I am fairly happy to live in the US right now, though I do wish to travel once I graduate, and hopefully spend a year or so in Japan, so I can finally become fluent in the language, and embrace the rich culture that I have been studying for nearly half of my life.

5. While I am technically free to express my asexuality in the US, there is still a battle for visibility being fought, and I am more than glad to be out there on the field doing so. Technically, I am also polyamorous, and so that is another battle for visibility and legal rights to fight.

6. I identify as genderqueer, and try to present androgynously, and that is not legally recognized, nor is it the most socially recognized, either. I do smile every time I get read as a girl, though, so that's nice.

Unfortunately, I was born and raised and still live in the US. I've never even moved farther than to a different neighborhood of the same very small suburb.

Most of my family only speaks English. I grew up knowing some Spanish from my aunt, a tiny bit of German from my cousin, and I learned French in high school, but I'm only fluent in English.

I was raised Christian (Protestant) but had varying religious education. (Jewish preschool and camps, various Protestant church programs, and Catholic high school.)

I have had my heart set on moving to England since I knew what countries were. Considering I had tons of maps, globes, and geographical puzzles, it was probably a very early age. I'm nowhere near financially stable enough to move anywhere at all any time soon, though.

I've heard a lot of stupid things said about sexuality. It's a free country and it's pretty accepting where I live, but I doubt many people would understand asexuality without a lengthy explanation. I'm in a grey area, so I don't even bother. I consider it a small aspect of who I am. I would be honest if asked about my sexual orientation, but I've never been asked anything other than "Are you a lesbian?" (To which I just say "No, why?") It's not that I think people would have a problem with it, it's that they might not understand it's not the same as celibacy.

I consider myself grey-asexual.

Considering I'm cisgendered, yes. I also live in a fairly liberal area, though, so I doubt there'd be too many problems if I weren't. At least not to my face.

I'm female. I was assigned female at birth and I am a little feminine, so I just stick to that. I don't really understand what it's like to identify as any gender. It's kind of a meaningless word to me.

I'm... okay with my cultural background. My family still has cultural roots in Europe, so we're not completely stereotypical Americans. But the American aspects are bit... too overly patriotic and outdoorsy for my taste. I feel fortunate to have been born where I was and to a multicultural family, though.

I was amused that Australia was an option for the first (region) question, but not for which country you live in, so I said other for the latter. I also said 'somewhat, it has it's ups and downs' for whether I'm happy living here. In the past I would have said "yes, but I'd like to move someday", as I would like to move to London one day, but Australia has gone way downhill since Tony Abbott became PM.

It took me an hour to make this poll, so I made some mistakes when revising -- that's a hilarious one. I'm a geologist, so I was thinking of various continental landmasses, such as Australia being simultaneously a continent and a country. I didn't want to exclude it as a continental region, yet when compared to the extremely populous countries (such as China, India, United States, Indonesia, and Brazil that have 200+ million people), it's such a small country, so it couldn't make it within the 20-option-per-question limit. As a result, that happened.

I live in Iceland, which is in Europe, and have for my whole life. I have never travelled out of Europe :(

Since I'm from Iceland I also speak Icelandic, but I was taught English, Danish and German in school (English is the only language I have maintained).

Like most Icelandic people I was raised as a Lutheran (don't know if that is the right word in English...) but am now agnostic, and accepted for it by those that know.

I feel like Icelandic people are generally accepting towards different sexualities, so I'm quite sure I would be accepted by the people that matter to me and I care about.

I think that the rights for transgenders are behind, and that there is still much to do before they will be fully accepted as a part of society but I think more awareness and education is speeding things along, so YAY!

Yup! Lutheran is the correct word in English. As for myself, I was born in Europe (Sweden) as well, and in Scandinavian and Northern Europe countries, the population is overwhelmingly Lutheran. I have lots of relatives registered with the Church of Sweden and the Church of Finland, both of which are denominations of the Lutheran faith. Most Scandinavians and North Europeans become agnostic or atheist later in life, due to increasing secularism in Europe as a whole. I'm glad to hear that you're accepted. =) I would've been so much more accepted if I stayed in Europe, but unfortunately, my parents thought I'd have a better life in the United States -- which has been a blessing and a curse for me, considering that there's a lot of closed-minded people here. (And I mean hoardes of them. I'm just trying to be nice.)

I'm from Europe, my native language is Polish, I was raised in a Catholic family (even though religion doesn't matter to me now). I've lived all my life in Poland, but since I've never lived anywhere else in my life I have no point of reference and therefore can't say if I would like to emigrate. I feel rather neutral about living here. I identify as cis male and asexual. I'm confused about the "freedom of expression" questions as I'm not sure what you are asking.

In some countries, certain sexualities and/or genders are illegal. In most of Africa, it is illegal to be homosexual, and the punishment for committing an act of homosexuality is the death penalty. Countries such as Iran, Egypt, Morocco, Nigeria, Kenya, Ethiopia, Algeria, India, Saudi Arabia, Bangladesh, Lebanon, Malaysia, and some parts of Indonesia either have severe punishments for homosexuality OR the death penalty. In those countries, it is illegal to be homosexual (or anything other than heteronormative) without intense consequences. Some genders are illegal as well, or those that are outside of the male/female spectrum aren't legally recognized. I myself am intersex, and in the United States, I'm not allowed to be a third gender or to be legally androgynous, since this country is built upon the assumption that all human beings are men or women. Mostly, I added those in to include the non-binary crowd.

Yup! Growing up in a very multi-cultural environment was kind of great. I was that white, vaguely UK decent kid who wished to have a stronger cultural background, bc Canada is weird and the culture doesn't feel that strong until you are somewhere else. (and start saying sorry all the time and say 'eh' and mention hockey and people just stare at you like an alien... then you feel pretty Canadian.) I am very sensitive to discrimination or people being bothered my multi-culturalism though bc it's such a no-brainer to me.

Oh my gosh, I can definitely relate to this. Being raised in the U.S., I don't feel like the culture's very strong in a lot of regions. Well, if you're in the Midwest, then you have agriculture, farms, dairy industry, meat industry, monoculture, etc. If you're in the South/Bible Belt, then you have a huge concentration of Baptists, preachers, swamps (Louisiana/Mississippi/Alabama), a slight tinge of racism, and huge families. (I have a cousin in Texas, and although it's not fully South or fully Bible Belt, it sure does have a degree of it in Houston.) If you're in the Northwest, then you have clam chowder, interconnected cities, ties and suits, etc. However, if you're in the Inland Empire region of California like I am, the only culture you can have is: I live in a house. My house is good. I have some cats. Cats are good too. In other words, if you don't already have a cultural background (such as my family being Portuguese/Brazilian and part-Swedish), then you're going to grow up with little to no culture if born and raised here. Yeah, I'm also sensitive to discrimination -- I really don't like it, and sometimes I'm a little harsh in trying to stop it.

I'm... okay with my cultural background. My family still has cultural roots in Europe, so we're not completely stereotypical Americans. But the American aspects are bit... too overly patriotic and outdoorsy for my taste. I feel fortunate to have been born where I was and to a multicultural family, though.

I second this. =)

In some countries, certain sexualities and/or genders are illegal. In most of Africa, it is illegal to be homosexual, and the punishment for committing an act of homosexuality is the death penalty. Countries such as Iran, Egypt, Morocco, Nigeria, Kenya, Ethiopia, Algeria, India, Saudi Arabia, Bangladesh, Lebanon, Malaysia, and some parts of Indonesia either have severe punishments for homosexuality OR the death penalty. In those countries, it is illegal to be homosexual (or anything other than heteronormative) without intense consequences. Some genders are illegal as well, or those that are outside of the male/female spectrum aren't legally recognized. I myself am intersex, and in the United States, I'm not allowed to be a third gender or to be legally androgynous, since this country is built upon the assumption that all human beings are men or women. Mostly, I added those in to include the non-binary crowd.

Yeah, I know that in many (if not the majority...) of the countries some (or all) expressions of LGBT are punishable. What I was confused about was what sort of acceptance you meant in the poll: legal or societal. In any case I'm not open about my asexuality and I don't feel any need to be.

OK, I've just re-read the relevant questions and it looks like I misread them the first time. :roll: They are actually quite precise.

I come from the Czech Republic, probably the most atheistic country in the world, so I was raised without any religious background. However, I believe in some things like reincarnation, ghosts, "angels and demons"...

I´m (gray) asexual and weird female (non-girly) and it is enough for being judged, called sick and so on. I´m not happy with living here. This society is very judgemental towards people who are different from the majority. I think it is because of comunistic dictature which ended in 1989 but it has still influence on people´s behaviour ("Don´t stand up from the crowd." attitude).

Born in Europe, native languages Irish and English, currently live in Britain and I bloody hate it. Raised in the Christian faith but now regard myself as spiritual rather than religious.

Born and raised on the west coast of Canada.

Raised atheist/agnostic.

Asexuals are often apart of the Pride Parade yearly, and generally trans* people and non-het people are accepted by society and protected by the law, although there is still hate violence against them by some cruel people.

I love where I live and I'm proud to be Canadian. I don't know where else I'd live.. maybe Sweden? but I doubt it.

My great-grandfather moved with his wife to Canada when they were roughly my age, and started a family. My grampa and his siblings grew up speaking Swedish, but his parents committed to only speaking English when they realized their children were falling behind in school due to lack of English proficiency. On my mother's side, my family came from Ireland, Scotland, and England, and prior to that they came from Sweden. So I'm a shitmix of white. Mostly Scandinavia and the UK.

I come from the Czech Republic, probably the most atheistic country in the world,

Just curious... why is Czech Republic considered the most atheist country in the world?

Born In Europe. English is my native tongue. Raised Catholic, live in the UK, I'm Asexual, male and don't go out much so couldn't really answer the express questions. I picked other for the both of those. I really don't like where I live, never have done, and have well and truly fallen out love with the UK. I would move in a heart beat if I could. There are circumstances that make that very difficult.

I still think British society is very tolerant on the whole. There will always be bigots wherever you live, but Britain as a rule is not a society where conforming is too rigidly demanded. Eccentrics and eccentricities are often cherished.

Born and raised on the west coast of Canada.

Raised atheist/agnostic.

Asexuals are often apart of the Pride Parade yearly, and generally trans* people and non-het people are accepted by society and protected by the law, although there is still hate violence against them by some cruel people.

I love where I live and I'm proud to be Canadian. I don't know where else I'd live.. maybe Sweden? but I doubt it.

My great-grandfather moved with his wife to Canada when they were roughly my age, and started a family. My grampa and his siblings grew up speaking Swedish, but his parents committed to only speaking English when they realized their children were falling behind in school due to lack of English proficiency. On my mother's side, my family came from Ireland, Scotland, and England, and prior to that they came from Sweden. So I'm a shitmix of white. Mostly Scandinavia and the UK.

I come from the Czech Republic, probably the most atheistic country in the world,

Just curious... why is Czech Republic considered the most atheist country in the world?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_atheism#Czech_Republic

The results are usually provided by different organizations, though, with samples that aren't always comparable.

Archived