Anyone have a Personality Disorder?

wowmom

1. 1. Do you have a personality disorder?

• Yes
    • No
    • No, but I have something else.

This poll is closed to new votes

Post here and let's discuss them. My doctor thinks I have BPD, but I'm not sure I agree. There are not enough poll options to include all the PDs discussed in the DSM, so please note them here:

If you think you have some other type of disorder, or mental illness, feel free to discuss it as well.

Possibly dissociative, I generally consider myself divided into 4 parts with the 3 active ones working in unison to fill the same objectives. Each part has a distinct preference for handling things, and their general strengths and weaknesses keep each other in check.

alpacaterpillar

I put something else because I'm diagnosed with Aspergers' Syndrome (which I suppose technically means I'm now a high functioning autist). I'm not actually sure what that was classified as, but I think it might have been a language disorder or something.

A doctor gave me a tentative diagnosis of OCD, and my medication does address it as well as my mood disorders, but I don't know how accurate that diagnosis was.

Diagnosed with clinical depression and generalized anxiety. Also had a doctor just say, "Weird" in response to a lot of my symptoms, and said I should see a psychologist. Right... because I have time/money for that :P Either way, I know I'm not entirely right in the head.

From early childhood to mid-teens, Dependent Personality Disorder fit me to a t. I wonder if it's possible for our disorders to change as we grow? Much like how my brother was incredibly Obsessive Compulsive during his childhood, yet has no recollection of it or has any obsessions nowadays, and isn't on any medications either.

A doctor gave me a tentative diagnosis of OCD, and my medication does address it as well as my mood disorders, but I don't know how accurate that diagnosis was.

Diagnosed with clinical depression and generalized anxiety. Also had a doctor just say, "Weird" in response to a lot of my symptoms, and said I should see a psychologist. Right... because I have time/money for that :P Either way, I know I'm not entirely right in the head.

From early childhood to mid-teens, Dependent Personality Disorder fit me to a t. I wonder if it's possible for our disorders to change as we grow? Much like how my brother was incredibly Obsessive Compulsive during his childhood, yet has no recollection of it or has any obsessions nowadays, and isn't on any medications either.

I think certain personality disorders can change over time, and in my experience, OCD is one of them. Unfortunately, I think if the disorder is severe enough to warrant a diagnosis, they might mutate into something else. People develop PDs as coping mechanisms to protect the mind from things it views as a threat. Most of the time, the things someone with a PD are reacting to are either non existent, or not that dangerous. But the mind interprets it as a threat and overreacts. (it's almost like having an allergy)

Would be interesting if you split the yes part in two, one for self diagnosed and one for diagnosed by professionals.

Also interstingly enough, most people with personality disorders (at least certain ones) are unable to admit it, unless they are severly (like on the verge of suicide) depressed.

Captain Darkhorse

Unless you count the incorrect BPD diagnosis by an incompetent social worker, then no. I've got 99 problems (actually probably more than that), but a personality disorder is not one.

Edit: Schizoid, Histrionic, Dependent, and Paranoid Personality Disorders have been eliminated from the DSM V. I'm assuming you're going with the DSM IV-TR?

Would be interesting if you split the yes part in two, one for self diagnosed and one for diagnosed by professionals.

Also interstingly enough, most people with personality disorders (at least certain ones) are unable to admit it, unless they are severly (like on the verge of suicide) depressed.

Interesting. Who said that?

Unless you count the incorrect BPD diagnosis by an incompetent social worker, then no. I've got 99 problems (actually probably more than that), but a personality disorder is not one.

Edit: Schizoid, Histrionic, Dependent, and Paranoid Personality Disorders have been eliminated from the DSM V. I'm assuming you're going with the DSM IV-TR?

BPD is overdignossed, especially in girls. I feel like if they find somebody who is severely troubled, cuts themselves and can't stop themselves from being destructive they just push that dignosis on them. Doctors see that the person is in pain, but don't know what's wrong or really what to do about it, and if medications don't work, it's more likly to be a psycological problem, and they can't fix it so they just loosely tie it to BPD and forget about it.

Interesting. Who said that?

It's like in their definitions, and a way pscychologist/psychatrists use to diagnose them. At least it is like that with anti-social personality disorder. They simply can't admit that they have it. At the best, those with anti-social traits may understand that they have those traits.

So this poll is unfortunately doomed to give us an incorrect picture of how it is. Those who say yes (especially if they are self diagnosed) will most probally not have a personality disorder. And those who have it, will most likely not know it - or accept it if a psychatrist have diagnosed them.

Lastly it's a difference between having the actual disorder, and just have traits. Most who think they have the disorder really do not have it, they just share some common traits and do not fill in the criterias.

Self diagnosed AvPD. I hate new places. Meeting new people is stressful. I manage, though.

Diagnosed with a "combined" PD. They never bothered to tell me exactly what it's combined of... my current psych was honest enough to admit that leaving "wiggle room" was probably intentional on that diagnosis. ;)

I'm pretty sure that schizoid and/or schizotypal is a part of it though - not that it surprises me at all, looking at two cases of full-blown psychosis in my closest family. *sigh*

Waist of Thyme

No, but I have something else (anxiety disorder).

I have schizoid and schizotypal, mainly schizoid, but basically symptoms from schizotypal merging in. It effects me every day of my life. Sometimes it has me on my knees but most of the time I cope I pretty well. Those coping strategies don't go down well with certain family members and every friend off line has grown tired of them eventually. It has it's plus sides though and my inability to do the most basic of social frivolities has allowed me to become the hermit I so longingly have wanted to be ^_^ And I get to be an aggressive, pain in the arse who purges people from his life in the blink of an eye. Having that as a "symptom" can be very beneficial.

I was also given a very vague, and somewhat annoying, half hearted/half arsed/half made up diagnosis of borderline Anti Social PD.

Come closest to schizoid, but I don't think I'd fully meet the diagnostic criteria. Though perhaps a pervasive social anxiety disorder and general lack of confidence have lead me to leading a lifestyle that seems more along the lines of schizoid. I'm not entirely sure.

littleheartsofjoy

Nope, for everything. I don't have any.

The things that I thought that I had, are too mild for me to be grouped as having any. Sometimes though, I can feel really socially anxious (in certain situations), but I haven't had the extremes that others have had. Again, mild for me (as far as I know, and as far as I have been told).

Janus the Fox

I put something else because I'm diagnosed with Aspergers' Syndrome (which I suppose technically means I'm now a high functioning autist). I'm not actually sure what that was classified as, but I think it might have been a language disorder or something.

Eh... This... Because Aspergers Syndrome, depending on the person, will share traits with all or most of those listed.

Do enough personality disorder tests and guaranteed most on the spectrum will come under a personality disorder.

I would come under, Antisocial, Avoidant, Dissociative, Narcissistic, Obsessive-Compulsive, Paranoid and Schizoid among the Asperger symptoms. Otherwise I can't have a comorbid disorder without all the symptoms that Aspergers can't cover.

gypsy_princess

i seem to have the avoidant personality disorder, according to what the page sad, but i had already assumed that.

*update*

i checked a few websites about this disorder and omg it describes me perfectly, i'm gonna cry, i'm not alone with this problem. i thought i was just shy and wrong.

I don't have any personality disorders or other officially diagnosed mental health issues. However, I'm afraid of developing depression and/or panic disorder, since those run in my family. I've also had issues with anxiety since my early teens, and I've had bouts of anxiety that interfere with my ability to function normally about once a year since starting college. I've never been medicated for it though; thank goodness that I've had access to free counseling in college, and that has helped. My worst anxiety is typically (not always) triggered by a combination of a very busy life along with a friend (who I am only platonically interested in) trying to push me into a more romantic relationship. It's happened often enough that it makes me wonder if I'll ever be able to have a romantic relationship, even with someone I DO find attractive. (It's obviously hard to sustain a relationship, even a friendship, if I consistently feel nervous and nauseous around the other person and need to avoid them to feel normal.)

*hugs* to all of you struggling with one of the disorders listed above--I can't even begin to imagine what you go through.

According to the DSM-IV I'm only one symptom off being a narcissist, but according to the DSM-V I'm one category off being a narcissist. I'm fairly sure I meet all the requirements for avoidant personality disorder, but I've never been diagnosed with anything.

Schizoid sounds a lot like me. Not that this is going to change/ruin my life or that I'm going to attach too much importance to this info. It's just an observation. Also when you click the link in the Opening Post you get transported to SPD treatment section. Apparently, there's no way to get to Symptoms. A bit of a nuisance.

iamphoenixfire

Well, I don't have a personality disorder, although a lot of people of my family have narcissistic personality disorder. I personally have PTSD, general anxiety, and depression. it's a fun mix.

What are the differences between being, avoidant, shy, and introverted?

According to the DSM-IV I'm only one symptom off being a narcissist, but according to the DSM-V I'm one category off being a narcissist. I'm fairly sure I meet all the requirements for avoidant personality disorder, but I've never been diagnosed with anything.

Do you get off on both positive and negative attention?
littleheartsofjoy

As someone that fits two of those, I can try to enlighten you. I'm speaking for myself though.

Being shy is different from being introverted. It is very possible to be introverted but not shy. A shy person does not like to be the center of attention. If they do, it is probably under certain circumstances. Why people are shy, really varies. In my case, I have been shy since I was small. I feel like it's a part of me at this point, kind of like how my glasses are, only I can't take it off :lol:

An introvert is someone who prefers small scale interaction really. They can do parties, but they would feel drained afterwards. They need that time alone to be able to regroup, and they don't mind being alone. Being alone doesn't equate to lonely in this case though. Like a shy person, they prefer not to be the center of attention or the life of the party like an extrovert might.

From my understanding of avoidant, I'm guessing that they probably have no interest in social interaction. They aren't really shy at all, they would just rather not bother altogether. I'm not 100% on this, but that is my guess.

What was formally diagnosed as OCD may actually be OCPD. I had no idea that existed and it sure sounds a lot like me.

I've had depression. I guess I'm not depressed now but I'm not happy either. Just kinda blah. I'm generally an anxious and apprehensive person. Meeting new people is difficult for me but I'm capable of real, genuine friendships.

My biggest issue is my sleep disorder which I'm sure aggravates a lot of all that.

No but I have major depression and general anxiety and had PTSD growing up.

Do you get off on both positive and negative attention?

I enjoy compliments, praise, etc., but I hate negative attention. Not only because it conflicts with my narcissistic traits, but because I hate attention in general (negative and neutral, hence meeting the criteria for AvPD). Histrionic people might enjoy both though.

As for your other question, I'll expand on littleheartsofjoy's answer.

Their responses for shy and introverted were spot on (I'm also both shy and introverted). Shy people become nervous around others, and dislike being the centre of attention. While extroverts get their energy from being around others, introverts make their own, so social situations can be quite draining for them. They're not antisocial, they just need plenty of me-time.

As for Avoidant Personality Disorder - I've studied psychology and I still have trouble differentiating it from Social Anxiety Disorder. But I figure the best way to explain them is to show the diagnostic criteria:

Avoidant Personality Disorder

A pervasive pattern of social inhibition, feelings of inadequacy, and hypersensitivity to negative evaluation, beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by four (or more) of the following:

1. Avoids occupational activities that involve significant interpersonal contact because of fears of criticism, disapproval, or rejection.
  2. Is unwilling to get involved with people unless certain of being liked.
  3. Shows restraint within intimate relationships because of the fear of being shamed or ridiculed.
  4. Is preoccupied with being criticized or rejected in social situations.
  5. Is inhibited in new interpersonal situations because of feelings of inadequacy.
  6. Views self as socially inept, personally unappealing, or inferior to others.
  7. Is unusually reluctant to take personal risks or to engage in any new activities because they may prove embarrassing.

Social Anxiety Disorder

1. Marked fear or anxiety about one or more social situations in which the individual is exposed to possible scrutiny by others. Examples include social interactions (e.g., having a conversation, meeting unfamiliar people), being observed (e.g., eating or drinking), and performing in front of others (e.g., giving a speech). Note: In children, the anxiety must occur in peer settings and not just during interactions with adults.
  2. The individual fears that he or she will act in a way or show anxiety symptoms that will be negatively evaluated (i.e., will be humiliating or embarrassing: will lead to rejection or offend others).
  3. The social situations almost always provoke fear or anxiety. Note: In children, the fear or anxiety may be expressed by crying, tantrums, freezing, clinging, shrinking, or failing to speak in social situations.
  4. The social situations are avoided or endured with intense fear or anxiety.
  5. The fear or anxiety is out of proportion to the actual threat posed by the social situation and to the sociocultural context.
  6. The fear, anxiety, or avoidance is persistent, typically lasting for 6 months or more.
  7. The fear, anxiety, or avoidance causes clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.
  8. The fear, anxiety, or avoidance is not attributable to the physiological effects of a substance (e.g., a drug of abuse, a medication) or another medical condition.
  9. The fear, anxiety, or avoidance is not better explained by the symptoms of another mental disorder, such as panic disorder, body dysmoφhic disorder, or autism spectrum disorder.
  10. If another medical condition (e.g., Parkinson’s disease, obesity, disfigurement from burns or injury) is present, the fear, anxiety, or avoidance is clearly unrelated or is excessive.

Archived