TLC? What does it really mean?

littleheartsofjoy

littleheartsofjoy

I don't mean the group, I mean the term TLC. I have always heard that in songs and other people refer to it, so I googled it. It means Tender Loving Care but what does that really mean?

I have never asked because it seems like something that is expected for me to know. I don't understand what that really means.

(I'm also not sure if I posted this in the right place, but if it's wrong, feel free to move it)

Imagine nursing a sick new born baby deer back to health. <---- TLC (I think)

littleheartsofjoy

Imagine nursing a sick new born baby deer back to health. <---- TLC (I think)

Yeah that would make sense to me. In the context of a partner, I really don't understand.

Moving this thread from The Gray Area, Sex and Related Discussions to Asexual Relationships.

Naosuu, The Gray Area moderator

When they're sick or injured, you help them recover, basically. What this entails will obviously vary with the sickness/injury.

I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do inherently with anything sexual, although it probably could in some folks' minds... but generally speaking, that is probably not the intent of most people when they use the term.

littleheartsofjoy

When they're sick or injured, you help them recover, basically. What this entails will obviously vary with the sickness/injury.

I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do inherently with anything sexual, although it probably could in some folks' minds... but generally speaking, that is probably not the intent of most people when they use the term.

Ohh ok! I understand that. I wasn't sure if it was a sexual thing or something else.

Strictly it means tender loving care, which you already know, but I take it to mean looking after someone gently and compassionately, be that when they are sick, or just generally.

It CAN have a sexual meaning, depending on context. "You just need some TLC" when you tell someone you are asexual for example, means you just need some good sexing up to break you of this phase (yes, I have gotten that response). "Let me show you some TLC, baby" etc, is usually a pickup line meaning "let me have sex with you and show you a good time". But, TLC can also mean caring for someone when they are sick, supporting someone when they need it, a massage, a tender embrace, etc. It doesn't HAVE to mean something sexual. But, it often can. So, you want to be aware of context if someone says it to you.

littleheartsofjoy

Strictly it means tender loving care, which you already know, but I take it to mean looking after someone gently and compassionately, be that when they are sick, or just generally.

Gotcha.

It CAN have a sexual meaning, depending on context. "You just need some TLC" when you tell someone you are asexual for example, means you just need some good sexing up to break you of this phase (yes, I have gotten that response). "Let me show you some TLC, baby" etc, is usually a pickup line meaning "let me have sex with you and show you a good time". But, TLC can also mean caring for someone when they are sick, supporting someone when they need it, a massage, a tender embrace, etc. It doesn't HAVE to mean something sexual. But, it often can. So, you want to be aware of context if someone says it to you.

See, that was what I was trying to understand. Ugh, I can't believe that someone has told you that before :/

That is really good to know.

Archived