For social sites that ask your orientation, what do you put?

littleheartsofjoy

Orientation poll (read first post below)  

1. 1. When social sites ask you for your orientation, what do you put?

• I put the orientation that I am romantically attracted to
    • I put what it is closest to the true answer
    • It depends on the site, I put different ones for different sites
    • If I can, I put other
    • If I can, I don't choose an answer at all or refuse to answer
    • I don't put just one of the 5 choices, I do them all
    • I do a mix of the 5 above choices (please share which ones?)
    • N/A - I don't use social sites

This poll is closed to new votes

Notte stellata

Hmm, I'm the only one who voted for "It depends on the site"? Though I could have chosen "I do a mix of the 5 above choices" as well. These two options seem similar to me.

I put "straight" on dating sites as I'm heteroromantic (but I don't use dating sites anymore). On FB (the only non-dating social site I use that asks for orientation) I just leave it blank because I'm not there to find partners.

I write my own answer if I can, and on Facebook I have made my sexual orientation hidden to the public since it won't let me choose "neither". But that annoys me because it looks like I'm trying to hide something

littleheartsofjoy

Hmm, I'm the only one who voted for "It depends on the site"? Though I could have chosen "I do a mix of the 5 above choices" as well. These two options seem similar to me.

I put "straight" on dating sites as I'm heteroromantic (but I don't use dating sites anymore). On FB (the only non-dating social site I use that asks for orientation) I just leave it blank because I'm not there to find partners.

I understand why you see them as similar.

They kind of are. How I saw this in my head is that you can say that your romantic orientation on one site, and then put one that isn't really similar because, say you have family that you haven't come out to, yet as friends on Facebook or where ever else. You have a reason why you put different ones rather than it isn't available for you to choose. I don't know if that helps or not.

I guess one could say that you're picking what you want to be to your audience for various reasons. A mix includes that, and the other ones, such as it not being available or that it isn't anyone's business.

Notte stellata

They kind of are. How I saw this in my head is that you can say that your romantic orientation on one site, and then put one that isn't really similar because, say you have family that you haven't come out to, yet as friends on Facebook or where ever else. You have a reason why you put different ones rather than it isn't available for you to choose. I don't know if that helps or not.

I guess one could say that you're picking what you want to be to your audience for various reasons. A mix includes that, and the other ones, such as it not being available or that it isn't anyone's business.

I see. Thanks for your explanation! So I guess, for example, putting straight on one site and bi on another would be "It depends on the site", but putting straight on one site and nothing at all on another would be a mix? If so, I should have voted for a mix then.
littleheartsofjoy

I see. Thanks for your explanation! So I guess, for example, putting straight on one site and bi on another would be "It depends on the site", but putting straight on one site and nothing at all on another would be a mix? If so, I should have voted for a mix then.

Yep!

If I can, I just leave it blank. Otherwise, I put my romantic orientation.

• 3 months later...
AnomalyEternal

I think Facebook is really the only social networking site I use (very rarely mind you) and I often avoid sites that make me choose an orientation I'm not. if I can, I choose other, but if there is no choice I usually just don't bother.

I tend to remove it/ignore it entirely. It just seems unnecessary.

Not a fan of social sites in general but I still stumble upon questions regarding my orientation now and then. I usually say bisexual (or pansexual), it's how I identified before discovering asexuality. I would prefer choosing "I don't have one" or "other" if these options are given. If I could write my own answer I might write aro ace, depending on who can see this information.

• 6 months later...

I try to put as close to how I feel as possible, but many just have the binary, or, best of all, you can leave blank

Not on any social site. Never have been and never will be. Even without questions on sexual orientation, they still want more information than I am prepared to give.

I go with what I'm romantically attracted to, if I feel the need to put anything at all. If it were a dating site I'd put down what I have here, I think, even if it required some extra explanation.

Most sites don't have an asexual option, so I put "other".

I don't use facebook or any site connected to my offline identity. But if I did, I'd leave the orientation box blank. I'm openly ace online, but nobody knows IRL.

Mysterywriter221

I put other when possible and my romantic orientation if other isn't an option.

Depends on the options provided. If there's an option for "asexual", "grey-asexual", or "demisexual", obviously I pick that. If there's an option to write in my own identity (highly uncommon), I put demisexual. If there's only an option for "other", I pick that. However, the two formats I most commonly encounter are either "interested in men", "interested in women", "interested in both men and women" (or some such) or a simple list of "straight", "gay", "lesbian", "bisexual". If it lists options based on interest, I generally put "interested in women" because I am slightly gynoromantic and not at all androromantic. If it's the latter, I usually put "lesbian" because then people have to ask and I can explain stuff.

When I was filling out paperwork for the counseling and psychological services at my last school, I circled "lesbian". During the intake, the guy had to ask me what that was about, as I'm clearly a man. So that works out well a lot of the time.

I put that I like men because I don't want to deal with any stigma, so straight. That's for Facebook.

• 2 months later...

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organization, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to re-start new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

Lady Girl, Moderator

Archived