For social sites that ask your orientation, what do you put?

littleheartsofjoy

Orientation poll (read first post below)  

1. 1. When social sites ask you for your orientation, what do you put?

• I put the orientation that I am romantically attracted to
    • I put what it is closest to the true answer
    • It depends on the site, I put different ones for different sites
    • If I can, I put other
    • If I can, I don't choose an answer at all or refuse to answer
    • I don't put just one of the 5 choices, I do them all
    • I do a mix of the 5 above choices (please share which ones?)
    • N/A - I don't use social sites

This poll is closed to new votes

littleheartsofjoy

AVEN is wonderful and leaves the fields blank to put what you want, if anything. For this poll, I'm asking what do you choose/put on social sites that ask you for your orientation. By the way, I mean sites that do not acknowledge asexuality. Sites include any and all sites that ask for that kind of information, including dating sites. An example of the first option is someone who indentifies as biromantic, would put bisexual for their orientation on a social site.

I used to put straight since I am heteroromantic, but that doesn't seem right to me, so I have started choosing other as an opinion. I have noticed that some aces (and others on the spectrum) on those sites, just choose who they are romantically attracted to or they just put other, like I do.

What do you put/choose? If you do a mix of these things, please feel free to share what you do from those 5 choices.

littleheartsofjoy

I don't use social sites.

That's surprising to me, but I think I will add that in as an option to the poll.

Edit: I added that option to the poll.

Offhand I can't really recall any I use that ask this, but if it's mandatory I'd probably just go with heterosexual or whatever's closest.

I would try and refuse to answer that question. It's none of their business and irrelevant.

littleheartsofjoy

Offhand I can't really recall any I use that ask this, but if it's mandatory I'd probably just go with heterosexual or whatever's closest.

I understand this. I don't know if you (and anyone else) remembers the old MySpace, but I know that they used to ask for that. I don't remember if it was required or not though.

I don't use any social site that would ask me that.

I have some accounts different places but this is the only place I have been asked what my orientation were. I filled it in because it's easier than explaining in every post.

I don't fill in personal information in other sites and if I have to it is rarely true info.

ethereal_energy

For Facebook I don't put fill either bubble in. Even if I wasn't asexual, it would still be better not to put anything, because if I put "interested in men" then the men would think I'm "interested" when I'm really not looking for a stranger to request me.

Depends what the options are.

If asexual is available, I'd say asexual,

if they don't have asexual but have other, I'll say other,

if none of those, I put my romantic orientation.

If I can I'll put 'other' or leave that part blank. If I have to, and it lists a lot of sexualities including Pansexuality or bisexuality then I am likely to choose pan or bi. However if I have to choose between hetero or homo I tend to click hetero since its just easier to let people assume/believe that. If the site includes asexuality then brill-I'll pick that one.

I would put: My orientation is none of your God damn business.

Waist of Thyme

On Facebook, I left the "Interested in" field blank.

I don't use other sites, but if there was an asexual option, I'd click that. If there wasn't but there was an "Other" option, I'd click that. If I'm forced to choose between hetero/homo/bisexual, with no option for asexual or even other, I'd refuse to answer the question. If the question is mandatory for joining the site, I wouldn't join the site.

I usually just put Other as my sexual preference if that is possible. If not I just put what is the closest to my sexuality^^

I don't put anything down if I can. It's not really anyone's business. If people know me I'll tell them if it's ever relevant.

I don't really use social sites. And the ones I do (rarely) use, happen to list Asexual as an orientation.

WhenSummersGone

If the site doesn't have Asexual as an option I would rather not give an answer at all. I'm not on many sites that ask for orientation though. If I had to pick I would choose other, and if other isn't an option then I just won't join. I also hate sites that force me to pick a gender as well.

I just tend to leave them blank. I'm not really on too many social sites and I think the only one that I'm on that asks the question is Facebook where I could just leave it blank.

Why in hell would a site want to know who I'm getting it on with, if at all? :blink:

Well, the only site I'm registered on that has an option for sexual orientation is Facebook, and my "Interested in" field is blank there. If I can put I'm asexual, then I'll put it in. If I can't, then I won't put anything. If I HAVE to put something and the option "asexual" is not included, then I won't register on the site at all.

Since I've had Facebook I've never had my sexuality listed, nor mentioned it on other websites. Not because I'm asexual but because I don't understand why anyone would list their sexuality on there in the first place haha.

WhenSummersGone

I think sites ask about your sexual orientation so you can find someone easier, if you're interested in dating. I think it's useful but not when your orientation isn't an option. Does anyone know what sites have asexual as an option?

I don't want people eyeballing me like I'm a steak on display at the meat market if I show up on their radar, so I include neither orientation nor relationship status.

I put anything that follows under the queer spectrum (bisexual usually). I experience sexual attraction sometimes so it's not that big of a deal. Sometimes I hide it though if possible (like on Facebook). Though I add in my "about me" that I'm gray ace and queer (pansexual/romantic).

That's surprising to me, but I think I will add that in as an option to the poll.

Depends what you mean by "social sites".If you mean facebook, I don't use facebook, if you mean twitter, same answer, etc.

If the case is forums, I am indeed registered at some forums(very few in the number and I am not active) but the option "orientation" is not present. :)

I don't use social networks for a while anymore. When I did, I still didn't know my real orientation. As I'm hetero, I put "straight" in social networks which could be used for dating, and nothing in others. If a social network wanted me to fill more than I wanted to say, I just stopped registration. Privacy is more important than registering on the last fashionable social network IMO. (That's also protecting privacy which motivated me to delete all my social network accounts other than online storage such as Flickr and Dailymotion.)

I would probably just use the first option (using my romantic/"platonic" orientation) unless asexuality was explicitly listed or if it's an editable field.

I've always felt primarily "straight" anyways, just not in a sexual way.

I am anti social so I don't use those sites.

I pick the closest option. On dating sites (yes, I'm trying online dating) I choose heterosexual instead of heteromantic asexual.

If I stated that I'm asexual on my okcupid profile, I'm pretty sure nobody would message me.

littleheartsofjoy

Depends what you mean by "social sites".If you mean facebook, I don't use facebook, if you mean twitter, same answer, etc.

If the case is forums, I am indeed registered at some forums(very few in the number and I am not active) but the option "orientation" is not present. :)

When I say social, I mean any kind of site that isn't meant to be professional and you have to make a profile. Like Facebook, OkCupid, and many others. I use Twitter and they don't ask you for that much, so in that realm, it is a social site, but they don't ask you for your orientation. I'm referring to ones that do ask for it, as part of the profile information.

rotanimonedaifg

I don't generally use those types of sites, and if I do I don't display my orientation. If it's necessary for something, if asexual was unavailable I would just say heterosexual because it's close enough, I guess.

Archived