Japan: A new Culture of Asexuality?

spunkaloidal

Sorry for the seemingly 'sensationalist' title, but I was reading an article in the Guardian today about Japan's declining birth rate. It discussed how many younger Japanese people (both male and female) are increasingly disinterested and/or repulsed by sex, relationships, marriage etc.

Why have young people in Japan stopped having sex?

The article raises so many new/old issues that are seemingly related to my own and perhaps others' asexuality and I thought that it would be interesting to hear others' thoughts on the matter.

• Like 4
Japan already has one of the world's lowest birth rates. Its population of 126 million, which has been shrinking for the past decade, is projected to plunge a further one-third by 2060.

Oh no, it's like an endangered species going extinct! :rolleyes:

Seriously, we have so many people around that I can't even feel remotely concerned about something like that. Part of the reason people feel too pressured to have relationships and carry them out to their "natural conclusion" (as in, producing offspring, the whole shebang) is BECAUSE there are too many people around and they are forced to work harder in other aspects of their lives to make ends meet, leading more people to say they ain't got time for that. It's a very meta form of population control, in my eyes.

Mendokusai translates loosely as "Too troublesome" or "I can't be bothered".

Handy term that about sums me up, and not even just regarding this particular subject. Definitely will be noting this for future reference

• Like 3

I do wonder if it's not a natural phenomena. The world is massively overpopulated, perhaps this is mother nature's way of dealing with the problem? The denser the population the lower the sex drive, or something like that.

• Like 5

I do wonder if it's not a natural phenomena. The world is massively overpopulated, perhaps this is mother nature's way of dealing with the problem? The denser the population the lower the sex drive, or something like that.

I don't think that population density has much to do with the level of lack of interest in Japan... I feel like it's more of a cultural problem - there are major economic issues to be considered, and the traditional marital expectations that are placed on couples. Many women in Japan are highly educated, motivated, and willing to work - that and they value their freedom, which is essentially lost if they get married and are expected to quit their job the moment they get pregnant. I suggest reading the article.

• Like 4

The world isn't really over populated. If you took all 7 billion + people you could stand them next to each other and have them all fit in the state of Indiana ( I use that as a reference since it is my state) and have them not even be uncomfortably close.

The world isn't really over populated. If you took all 7 billion + people you could stand them next to each other and have them all fit in the state of Indiana ( I use that as a reference since it is my state) and have them not even be uncomfortably close.

Except that overpopulation isn't about space. There aren't enough food, enough energy, enough resources for us all. Of course there is human overpopulation on Earth.
  • Like 9

Don't want to get off topic...but if we make a new post I could go more into details about it!

I'm seriously wondering if it's repressed sexuality, or they're really asexual...

• Like 2

I read in another article was that more people are focused on their career or hobbies. And there is the huge fear of rejection and never being able to get over it. And that dating is so tiresome and is expensive (cost wise). So I don't think they're asexual, they're just choosing to focus their priorities elsewhere.

• Like 7

There is a program on BBC 2 on 24/10/13 at 21:00 titled 'No sex please, we're Japanese'

The blurb says that it is discussing the declining birth rate and the attitudes of people, so probably the same things the article is talking about.

... yeah, as already pointed out, that's not exactly a valid means to determine overpopulation.

Why does there seem to be an article on Japan's birth rate every year?

Because it's supposedly a Really Serious Problem ( :rolleyes: ) for a nation's population to actually be shrinking instead of getting larger, and they probably survey this kind of stuff every year or so.

If what Agent Smith said about humanity is correct (that we can be likened to a virus that continuously multiplies itself to the point of consuming all available resources), then it's apparently only natural that we'd consider a section of humanity that is actually declining in numbers to be a problem or an aberration that needs addressing.

Am I the only one who finds this a little surprising? I mean, I knew Japan's birth rate has been declining for several years and less women are getting married but I didn't realize how... "dramatic" it was.

But I agree it's not that Japan's young generation are all asexuals or similar, it's that their priorities are simply elsewhere, whether it's the generation's choice or the government's fault. For such a technologically modern country, it's strange to think they're still a bit regressive.

Either way, thanks for the interesting article! I think I might send it to a few people... hehehe

• Like 2

Sorry for the seemingly 'sensationalist' title, but I was reading an article in the Guardian today about Japan's declining birth rate. It discussed how many younger Japanese people (both male and female) are increasingly disinterested and/or repulsed by sex, relationships, marriage etc.

Why have young people in Japan stopped having sex?

The article raises so many new/old issues that are seemingly related to my own and perhaps others' asexuality and I thought that it would be interesting to hear others' thoughts on the matter.

Indeed, as Clubs said this is something that has been published already. The same newspaper published something about this years ago. Now I've only worked on the oldest articles on AVEN, and I've already found 2:

http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/5688-no-sex-please-were-japanese/

http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/7684-japanese-men-asexual/

Guest member25959

... but I see no mention of asexuality?? It's too bad, there was a active Japanese asexual community once (asexual.jp), but it shutdown and suddenly disappeared years ago

Edited by Arca nine Huggles

I've been thinking that asexuals are probably not the tiny minority that we think we are. Perhaps Japan is simply the first country to come to terms with these feelings.

• Like 3

My coblogger Queenie has studied in Japan, and wrote a nice explanation of "herbivore men" in Japan.

The short version is that it has to do with gender politics in Japan. The emergence of herbivore men is coupled with the emergence of carnivore women. What's "shocking" about herbivore men is that they tend not to initiate romantic relationships (often letting the carnivore women initiate), and are even willing to be friends with women. Somehow, in English media, the story gets translated to “OMG THERE ARE ALL THESE JAPANESE MEN WHO HATE SEX OMG!!!!111!!” (quoting Queenie).

• Like 7

"herbivore" men sound very much like asexuals who are "meh" about sex. ALthough the original article says that up to almost half are _repulsed_ by sex, which has no correlation to a gentle personality of any kind. Gentle, less masculine, un-assertive men can be every bit as sexual, they just might not make the first move.
This really, really appears to be asexuality on a previously unheard-of, openly-acknowledged scale -- sure, they're not calling it "asexuality," but, they probably haven't often heard the term, as they say, a rose by any other name...

• Like 1

it's impossible for me to see this article or the problem it describes as being at all related to (a)sexuality as my experience living in Japan suggests otherwise. admittedly, i didn't even read all of the article, but i saw it mention what i feel to be the real problem(s) a few times. that is, social pressure, work ethics and numerous other social issues unique to Japan.

i can totally understand Japan's preoccupation with its' declining birth rate. the problem is glaringly obvious in rural japan where entire towns are "dying"... i mean, i've worked at schools where the entire student population wouldn't even take up a single room and the school (which was the only one around mind you) was facing closure. that's just sad and sexuality has nothing to do with it, imho. as for the foreign media's preoccupation with Japan's problem... i'm torn as to how i feel about it because articles often paint the situation in a particular light that isn't always true, imho.

• Like 1

it's impossible for me to see this article or the problem it describes as being at all related to (a)sexuality as my experience living in Japan suggests otherwise. admittedly, i didn't even read all of the article, but i saw it mention what i feel to be the real problem(s) a few times. that is, social pressure, work ethics and numerous other social issues unique to Japan.

i can totally understand Japan's preoccupation with its' declining birth rate. the problem is glaringly obvious in rural japan where entire towns are "dying"... i mean, i've worked at schools where the entire student population wouldn't even take up a single room and the school (which was the only one around mind you) was facing closure. that's just sad and sexuality has nothing to do with it, imho. as for the foreign media's preoccupation with Japan's problem... i'm torn as to how i feel about it because articles often paint the situation in a particular light that isn't always true, imho.

I sort of cherry-picked this article because, when I did read it, I felt like many of the 'gender issues' that people were facing (i.e. traditional expectations of males and females coming in conflict with realities and demands modern life) reminded me of many of the battles that I've faced with being reminded that "I'm female, therefore I must fit into this box and do these things" versus how I actually feel and how living up to the standards of myself often conflicts with what gender-norm culture or tradition expected of me. There were some paragraphs in the article that almost popped out - where they interviewed people who spoke about their own lack of interest in sex/relationships or sex repulsion. These points in particular peeked my interest.

I'm actually curious to see whether there is some form of cultural relationship between asexuality and its acceptance in society. I was merely curious to see what others' responses would be or whether they had any insights. I was looking for a more in depth cultural/social-political/philosophical discussion on the topic. :)

• Like 1

it's an indisputable fact that there are many gender issues in Japan and i can see how this article highlights some of them and their relationship to Japan's aging population. i totally agree that gender roles, expectations etc are part of the problem. however, to me, gender and sexuality are two unrelated things and that's why i fail to see Japan's issue as relating to (a)sexuality at all other than the repression of sexuality in general.

....but again, that's just me! i don't mean to at all stifle discussion of this topic. i'd go more in depth about my own opinion, but i'm replying in a hurry. sorry!

Well it is a problem when the decline of population is too rapid, as somebody has to work for older people. Unless Japanese people will make robots to do that, then there will be no problem.

that's why i fail to see Japan's issue as relating to (a)sexuality at all other than the repression of sexuality in general.

Well is it repressed or just not explored? If you can be asexual just by not exploring sexuality for any reason, then that relates to asexuality.

Well is it repressed or just not explored? If you can be asexual just by not exploring sexuality for any reason, then that relates to asexuality.

personally, i dont think not exploring one's sexuality makes one asexual.

a ___sexual knows they're ___sexual even before sleeping with someone, after all.

I agree that it's an interesting cultural shift, but I really, REALLY wish people would stop calling it a Big Problem. *eyeroll* The global overpopulation crisis notwithstanding, a cultural transition to putting more emphasis on career and less on sex/raising families is not inherently a problem. It's not better or worse, just different. If it makes a lot of practical sense to choose that lifestyle and those people who do so feel happy and fulfilled, why the hell is everyone freaking out?! Oh, that's right, because having sex is a Basic Human Need and those people who have little interest in sex are clearly unhealthy and need help.

A quote from the article that annoyed me: "It's not healthy that people are becoming so physically disconnected from each other," she says. "Sex with another person is a human need that produces feel-good hormones and helps people to function better in their daily lives."

And the Guardian's top recommended comment: "Rubbish, mutually enjoyable sex with a compatible partner is great, regardless of whether 'love' is involved. It relieves stress, releases positive hormones and emotions, and can be a great manifestation of friendship, caring etc., even if the two people are not 'in love'.

Re. the article, I can understand why women especially would be loathe to get married and have children, but not why they would want to give up sex, or even worse, find it disgusting. That's worrying..."

Basically, I feel like the majority of young people in Japan who are not as interested in sex/relationships as previous generations are probably not asexual in the strictest definition (i.e. they probably DO feel sexual attraction, but don't feel it's worth the time/money/effort/career sacrifices to actually pursue sexual relationships). BUT, the worldwide reaction to this less-sex-crazed culture (both within Japan itself and internationally) is probably very telling and reflective of how people respond to asexuality as well. "What?! The Japanese aren't having very much sex?! What's WRONG with them!? How do we fix this problem?!" is obviously a similar attitude to "What?! Billy doesn't have sex?! What's WRONG with him?! He needs HELP!!" -____-

So, I feel like people (i.e. the world) should seriously chill out and not worry about it. Japan is going to be fine. People who live without sex are going to be just fine. This doesn't need to be a Super Big Deal. And guess what? Us asexuals exist, and we're just fine too. ;-)

• Like 4
Notte stellata

I agree that it's an interesting cultural shift, but I really, REALLY wish people would stop calling it a Big Problem. *eyeroll* The global overpopulation crisis notwithstanding, a cultural transition to putting more emphasis on career and less on sex/raising families is not inherently a problem. It's not better or worse, just different. If it makes a lot of practical sense to choose that lifestyle and those people who do so feel happy and fulfilled, why the hell is everyone freaking out?! Oh, that's right, because having sex is a Basic Human Need and those people who have little interest in sex are clearly unhealthy and need help.

That's exactly my thought about the article. As long as these young people are happy, so what if they're not interested in sex or dating? I think it's actually a good thing that they can find fulfillment from friendships, career, hobbies, etc, because they're proving that a romantic-sexual relationship isn't the only source of happiness. I hate the assumption that you can only get intimacy and a "real connection" through a romantic-sexual relationship heading towards marriage, and I don't get the fuss over people's declined interest in traditional relationships. Quite the opposite, it would be strange and sad if people still blindly adhere to traditional relationship models in this ever-changing world.
MissUnderstood

Companies in Japan don't like to hire young, married women because they worry they will get pregnant and leave so maybe women stay childless/single for that reason. Also cultures and mingling a lot more nowadays and so Japanese people may be moving overseas or marrying foreigners more and so it seems as though there are less Japanese people. I love Japanese people so so much :wub: My Japanese friend has a baby girl who is so adorable and good-tempered. I love her so much ^_^

If Japan wanted more population, they could try being less racist and have friendlier immigration policies. Nobody's obligated to make babies just to reverse national trends.

a ___sexual knows they're ___sexual even before sleeping with someone, after all.

It is also a mental exploration. What if somebody would be always alone, and he would never had seen anybody else, his sexual orientation would be unexplored, and unknown right? Now obviously people in Japan do see other people, but the perception is influenced by culture. Somebody can be encouraged or discouraged from valuing sex, and valuing exploration of his sexuality. Sexuality could be something that you have potential for, somebody will be asexual no matter what, for somebody feelings will be strong, and obvious so he would be sexual in any culture that we have, but for somebody else with culture that doesn't force it on him, he can decide that this isn't worth exploring. That isn't the same as repressing sexuality, and it applies to any potential interests or passion, "calling" or however you call it. To repress you first need to want something, and then fight to not do it or to not think about it, if somebody has unexplored sexuality then there is no fight there.

This is a speculation, and I am not sure how close to truth that view is but I think that there are some good reasons for thinking in that way.

It is also a mental exploration. What if somebody would be always alone, and he would never had seen anybody else, his sexual orientation would be unexplored, and unknown right? Now obviously people in Japan do see other people, but the perception is influenced by culture. Somebody can be encouraged or discouraged from valuing sex, and valuing exploration of his sexuality. Sexuality could be something that you have potential for, somebody will be asexual no matter what, for somebody feelings will be strong, and obvious so he would be sexual in any culture that we have, but for somebody else with culture that doesn't force it on him, he can decide that this isn't worth exploring. That isn't the same as repressing sexuality, and it applies to any potential interests or passion, "calling" or however you call it. To repress you first need to want something, and then fight to not do it or to not think about it, if somebody has unexplored sexuality then there is no fight there.

This is a speculation, and I am not sure how close to truth that view is but I think that there are some good reasons for thinking in that way.

In practice, it should be impossible for a person to always be alone. But even if it's possible, the person should still have a libido (unless also a non-libidoist). I don't believe culture can change orientation. The person may still have sexual attraction, but they do not know what the feeling is. Society, I believe, only gives a label to the feelings/attraction. I also live in a sex-repressed society, and I'm pretty sure most folks are not asexual.

As for repressed sexuality? If it's repressed since the start, the person might just think they're asexual.