20/20 AIRDATE ANNOUNCED: 24th March

AVENguy

Cate Perfect

Just spoke with the producer. She seems nice and I have high hopes for the interview. *thumbs up*

Cate

bard of aven

All to the contrary not withstanding (as the canon lawyers say), I am glad for the good reports about this, and also maintina high hopes.

boa

Cate Perfect

She'd also like to speak with people who are a bit older--to round out the 'sample' so to speak. She said she'd happily talk to anyone with no obligation to go on air--strictly confidential. She'd just like some other perspectives.

Cate

Cate or whoever, I would be happy to talk though definately no air time for me. So if someone wants to pass on my contact info, I'd be happy to offer a perspective.

Cate Perfect

I'll send her your email address, ok?

Cate

VivreEstEsperer

I'm guessing she probably is reading this thread, because she's probably doing research on the site. But that's okay because the day we start censoring ourselves to please journalists is the day we should just pack up and close the whole place down... hope that didn't sound harsh, I just mean, we should just be ourselves and if possible not worry about who might be easdropping.

Anyway. I'm very excited about this too! Esther, it's great that you and your husband have agreed to be interviewed, you will provide a much needed perspective!

Kate

She'd also like to speak with people who are a bit older--to round out the 'sample' so to speak. She said she'd happily talk to anyone with no obligation to go on air--strictly confidential. She'd just like some other perspectives.

Cate

I'd be happy to talk to the 20/20 person; I'm just not sure about an on-air interview (as personal things like my "fetish" interest may came up). To clarify where I would fit in the sample: I am a heterosensual (as opposed to heterosexual-leave that genital interaction thing for the sexuals), 40 year old virgin male.

What the heck; I'll give my E-mail address in case someone wants to contact me about this. It's EdHoover@Juno.com...

Ed.

EEEEP! :shock:

I just got a second call from the producer. I think I've been picked. :shock:

*falls over in a dead faint*

*thud*

*a few feathers float away in the breeze*

-Greybird

...much the same as people CPR, i think...

never had to see it be done, though.

*grabs AED*

CLEAR!

and if I didn't want to totally and utterly stay confidential about stuff (security clearance investigation, dontcha know!) then i'd be happy to contribute, too...

I'd be happy to talk to anyone about this, i'd really like to do my part for asexual visibility, sepcially cause this site helped me so much just by exisiting! :D

I think this is all very cool. I emailed them last week to see where they were with anything and if there was anything else I could do to help (I already had my phone interview). She said that they were still gathering info but that she would probably know more shortly concerning interviews and time tables.

• 1 month later...
Cate Perfect

I've just spoken with the producer on the phone and they're ready to go ahead with it as soon as possible. Right now they're deciding who they're going to use.

Cate

Silly Green Monkey

I emailed Gail to ask about 20/20, but I got a reply saying that Gail Deutch was out of the office until Wednesday.

Cate Perfect

Yeah, she left me a message on my phone with her mobile number because she wanted a call back right away.

*pats Spock* Me too. She'll probably get in touch with more people when she's back in town. When I phoned she was on a train--I feel so guilty because I've now made someone have the 'I'M ON THE TRAIN!' conversations.

Cate

after my rather intriguing/slightly disturbing talk on the phone with jen of CNN,

i figure 20/20 would be a much better deal to begin with.

Aven rawks!

Johnny

Cate Perfect

Why was it intriguing/disturbing?

Cate

Cate,

Some of the more intriguing questions jen from CNN asked me, if I had ever been to counseling about my asexuality.

Nuttin' doin'

She asked if I met the right woman, would I get married.

I told her being asexual is a blessing.

She asked why it's a blessing?

I then asked her why being sexual is a blessing, since I suspect she's up there in the sexuality rating scale.

She said, well you can be intimate, and have kids.

I told her there's other ways to have kids. I've worked for an adoption agency and I'm a subsitute teacher. I love kids.

More drama from me if you want it.

Johnny

biggreenmonkey

Why were those questions disturbing? What other kinds of questions should she have asked? ::puts on 'clueless' hat and looks around confusedly::

Cate Perfect

Yeah, those are pretty typical journalistic questions.

Cate

it wasn't necessarily the questions jen asked me, it was the urgency in which she asked them. she said they needed someone to go on camera TODAY!

it's as if jen wasn't doing her homework, as i requested before the phone call.

i told her to look up some of the well-thought-out "canned" responses, if you will, to speaking to a producer/reporter.

I even told her i would prefer that she become familiar with manuevering the aven site, to look up the posts i made. the more she knew about me before talking to me, the better.

i apologize for not posting more on aven.

btw,

jen used a fake username in www.asexualove.net posing as an asexual looking for friendship from me.

david, dj, consoled me after i emailed him the email that jen sent me.

he's not too impressed with CNN's aggressiveness on breaking the piece before any other network does.

Cate Perfect
it wasn't necessarily the questions jen asked me, it was the urgency in which she asked them. she said they needed someone to go on camera TODAY!

btw,

jen used a fake username in www.asexualove.net posing as an asexual looking for friendship from me.

david, dj, consoled me after i emailed him the email that jen sent me.

he's not too impressed with CNN's aggressiveness on breaking the piece before any other network does.

Wow. Kinda tacky.

I'm loving the 20/20 people more and more.

Cate

Yeah, there's a story with CNN that I'll tell at some point. The good news is that 20/20 is rearing to go and I may have negotiated some extra goodies to go with it (more on that as they develope...)

Archived