Preferences toward music

R_1

-  

1. 1. What are the genre that you listen to?

• Classical
    • Country
    • Electronic
    • Folk
    • Hip-Hop
    • Indie
    • Jazz
    • Opera
    • Pop
    • Raggae
    • Rap
    • Rock
    • Speed Metal or Heavy Metal
    • Singing (Without instrument)
    • Synthesized (With synthesized instrument or mix of real and synthesized)
    • Techno
    • Not sure on what I listen to
    • It's not listed. Thus, other music.
    • I don't listen to music
    • Undecided
  2. 2. Are you into musics with lyrics for the purpose of listening to it?

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends
    • Sometimes
    • Not sure
    • Undecided
  3. 3. What do you focus on when it comes to listening to music?

• Sound
    • Composition
    • Rhythm
    • Beat
    • Lyrics
    • Voice
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

Here's my new poll. I don't have enough options to add in all the music genre I want. So, I added in what I thought is the most common.

I listen to a large variety of music (mostly top 40, pop ballads, ect). Lyrics are super important to me, but it definitely helps if it has a nice beat.

Lately I've been listening to some old breakcore. New stuff from Venetian Snares.

By the way, Vennominon. Awesome. I used to play the (censored) out of that deck.

Janus the Fox

I predominately listen to video game music, otherwise I don listen to typical music. There's no specific genre.

I don't listen to music for it's lyrics. Some songs do have lyrics otherwise that have no meaning. A memorable one's are Sega Rally's GAME OVER YEAH, and ROLLING START!!! mini songs as an example.

I focus on the rhythm, beat and overall sound. I particularly enjoy music with catchy patternised rhythms that I find the most difficult to forget.

I like old/medieval ballads, instrumental music, symphonic metal and classical music. I also like a mix of normal music that I am not sure where they belong... like some pieces of monsters and men and the knife etc. If I can hear the lyrics I dont want them to sing about bitches, whores, sex or love, thats kinda my only no-no when it comes to lyrics.

When it comes to what makes me like them (as I think was the meaning with last question):

• The melody is important
  • The singer must sound interesting
  • I like when the song moves up and up (gets more and more intense with some moments of calm), not too repetitive
WhenSummersGone

Anything with a good beat and flow. Lyrics don't matter too much. Nothing annoying, and there are some voices I can't stand that are in mainstream music right now. Usually Pop and Rock is what I listen to. I'm also too lazy to look for more underground music so I just listen to the radio and check out iTunes to see what's out there.

Where is METAL?

I mostly listen to classical and various forms of rock, particularly the more modern ones (alternative, post-rock, shoegaze, post-hardcore), plus indie. I also listen to folk, electronic and pop on occasion.

My main focus is on the lyrics and composition. Voice and sound also matter.

Classical, rock and it's not listed. I checked that box as metal, and it's many genres within, is my most listened to genre. Math core, metal core, grind core, plus hard core punk, (a term I sometime use) are my favourites. Brit pop can also be added to the "it's not listed" box.

I prefer to listen to the beat, rhythm, sound of the song and usually miss out on the point of the lyrics. Not that I don't listen, it's just I usually take in all the sounds, riffs and all the musical cue's before getting to the understanding.

Jazz/Pop/Rock, No, Sound/Voice

I don't really care about lyrics. I can listen to a song lots of times without listening to the lyrics. But the weird thing is, my brain automatically remembers them for me, even if I'm not actively listening to lyrics. So I can sing, and even playback in my head, lots of songs.

I predominately listen to video game music, otherwise I don listen to typical music. There's no specific genre.I don't listen to music for it's lyrics. Some songs do have lyrics otherwise that have no meaning. A memorable one's are Sega Rally's GAME OVER YEAH, and ROLLING START!!! mini songs as an example.

I focus on the rhythm, beat and overall sound. I particularly enjoy music with catchy patternised rhythms that I find the most difficult to forget.

Elena's Stage music from Street Fighter Three 3rd Strike is my ring tone, "Beats in my Head".

silverfirefox777

I listen to pretty much all types of music. I have a very eclectic taste and enjoy virtually all. Sad to see I'm the only one voted metal so far. Where are my fellow metal heads??

Chiptunes, Crossbreed Drum and Bass, Drum and Bass, Post-Dubstep, Dark Dubstep, UK Hardcore, Crust Punk, Experimental Post-Hardcore, Post-Rock, Atmospheric Black Metal

I don't really listen to music, but it's a wide variety when I do.

So long as it sounds good I'll like it. I really do prefer lyricless music, but there are plenty of songs out there with lyrics that I absolutely love. I have no preference of genre or anything else, only genres I'm not too keen on (rap for example). For the most part though I don't really have any preferences.

Captain Darkhorse

If it's not rap, opera, or metal I'll give it a shot. I also won't touch dubstep with a 10 meter pole. But the majority of music I listen to is eurodance, alternative rock, folk, alternative country, classical, or trance. Especially trance.

I definitely missed something like "melody" in the last question. Lyrics, when they are present, are very important to me. And the way in which the lyrics and the melody work together.

I really, really love swing music. Or just the lounge music style in general. I like to listen to the music much more than the people, and if I do listen to the people, they better be good singers. I could care less about lyrics in most instances.

Jungle isn't listed!!!!! I love early dnb jungle and also rap....not crappy pop kanye west garbage rap but real thought provoking stuff. And now I'm starting to discover Motown and it is blowing my mind!!! Also jazz and anything with a legit beat that I can freestyle to because I love rapping! Eurodance ( house / club crap) can be nice too at times.

Pop, rock etc... but also J-Rock etc. So the lyrics aren't just the only important thing as far as I'm concerned... the beat also has to be catchy...

I can listen to all types of music it just depends how the mood takes me on the day, I really like 70's punk & glam rock, I love the silky smooth voice of Karen Carpenter & Rumer, the folky music of Bob Dylan, Jake Bugg, the vocal folk styles of the Unthanks, the classic rock sounds of Mostly Autumn, Pink Floyd, Fleetwood Mac, I'm also liking the sound of Laura Mvula at the moment, she sounds really good

the genre depends on the why.

I mostly listen to rock when I am in the "Now I listen to music" zone. (the who, rush, animals, foo fighters, the kinks and so many more of that era)

But sometimes I really like the classical music if I just want to relax and shut my brain off. (for some reason Pink Floyd falls in this category since it is more an experience than a good song)

In that catagory I also put musical themes and stuff like that. I had this clint mansell phase and I still keep some of his tunes.

then there is the social part. There I listen to things because they are fun, different or shareable. (this is mostly youtubers like tobuscus, julian smith, rhett and link but also "pop" music like the baseballs etc)

I love music and it is fun to seek out and at the same time have something comforting in the old and great.

For some reason I have not yet figured out I can't listen to female vocals.

There are a few good ones but it is really hard to relate to anything they say.

1. electronic, indie, hip hop, pop, rap, techno, other (trance, alternative, jpop + other foreign stuff)

2. sometimes - lyrics become important when I need music for self esteem

3. sound, rhythm, beat, other (melody, and pitch range for sounds and voice, dunno if I explained that correctly)

Touchofinsight

Ever since I have used Pandora (I even bought Pandora one) I don't really have a preference anymore but I generally don't like R and B, or Country music.

Dunno if it's been said yet but 'singing (without instrument) is acapella. :)

I love lots of different genres, the sound is important, I rarely tolerate stupid lyrics and I don't like Metal and it's uh.. 'children..

D

A Taste of Harmony

I much prefer instrumental. Lyrics makes it hard to concentrate to the melody or rhythm.

If it involves human voice, I prefer not to understand what is saying. :D

But I usually don't have favourite type as long as it reflects my mood somehow.

Archived